• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon master wannabe Ash Ketchum is a loser

bonercop

I would still watch the series if it had actual progression.

I recall Ash beating some tough ass people, and his pikachu being so "leveled up" and near the start of the "next chapter" of his journey his pikachu ends up losing to a kid's starter pokemon who the kid has only been with for less than a month. I was like "okay, screw it, this is too much of a reset."

Just plain lazy writing. They could easily get around it by giving ash a new starter pokemon of that region and have ash try to fight with that (and will only use pikachu at higher level fights/and in team rocket/magma etc situations). Losing then wouldn't seem as stupid.

Even as a 13 year old, this was too much bullshit for me to handle and I stopped watching the show right there and then. That Pikachu was like lvl 92323, goddammit!

GooeyHeat

Yeah, if they had either adapted the manga or copied the "new protagonist for a new region" thing from it, I think it would be much better.

Really, a lot of anime/manga have a problem with keeping a single character relevant for a really long time without letting them and/or the villains get ridiculously overpowered. Two I know that break it are One Piece (just generally written well so that Luffy's silly stretching power is always his main focus), and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (which has a new protagonist every arc anyway).

farisr

When I gave up on Pokemon I was lost. I had no story to truly look forward too except the Eragon series.

I didn't see your name, nor your avatar when I was reading your post. As soon as I saw this I was going to quote you and say "One Piece man! One Piece!" and then I read the last part of your post:

One Piece is the ONLY thing anyone can believe in any more.

And it was only after that, that I payed attention to your avatar and name. LOL. Show is great when watched in chunks. I don't think there's any anime out there that I can watch only episode every week. When a new arc starts, I basically stop watching the show, wait a while and watch the accumulated eps.

zeopower6

Yep, exactly, if ever he's gotten worse, he used to get to the finals of the league.

Actually, he's gotten better.

From each region it was something like this...
Kanto - Top 16
Johto - Top 8
Hoenn - Top 8
Sinnoh - Top 4
Unova - Top 8

That Kanto ranking was horrible though. So disappointing... even Gary didn't fare very well that time around. We don't even know who the hell won! >_>

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Yeah, he's very loose, he has sex with strangers and stuff.
Green, Blue, and Red will always be the best characters.
I suggest you read the mangas.

Actually, he's gotten better.

From each region it was something like this...
Kanto - Top 16
Johto - Top 8
Hoenn - Top 8
Sinnoh - Top 4
Unova - Top 8

That Kanto ranking was horrible though. So disappointing... even Gary didn't fare very well that time around. We don't even know who the hell won! >_>

looks he got a slight jump up and then went back to being shit

FreeMufasa

He's a loser cos he didn't fuck misty, may, dawn, his mum, professor ivy and all the other feenin' honies he came across. Brock was a simp but shit, he tried to get it in at least

Forkball

As a kid I was shocked when Ash lost to Ritchie. Dozens of episodes, so many trials, tribulations, and triumphs... and he LOSES? That's some Game of Thrones shit right there.

Ahasverus

As a kid I was shocked when Ash lost to Ritchie. Dozens of episodes, so many trials, tribulations, and triumphs... and he LOSES? That's some Game of Thrones shit right there.

I cried, my kid heart was broken. It was actually cool and a good twist, but it got old each year for 12 years later.

zeopower6

Wait Ash Hasn't even made it to runner up? Lol!

I don't think any of Ash's companions or rivals have gotten to runner up either in the leagues. Though that Virgil guy with the crapton of Eevees won in the Unova League.

His coordinator companions have fared better than him. May got top 4 in Kanto and Dawn was runner-up in Sinnoh.

Ash needs a psuedo legendary on his team, give the kid a fully evolved dragon dammit.

That's what Charizard's for.

No, really. How many legendaries has it fought by now, anyways? An Articuno, and Entei, technically... I know there are others.

Anyways, can someone point me to which episode Charizard reappeared in in BW?

zeopower6

That's what Charizard's for.

No, really. How many legendaries has it fought by now, anyways? An Articuno, and Entei, technically... I know there are others.

Anyways, can someone point me to which episode Charizard reappeared in in BW?

It's called "The Fires of a Red Hot Reunion" or "燃えよリザードン!VSカイリュー! Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!" in Japan. Episode 116 of Best Wishes/Black and White: Adventures in Unova. It's reaaalllly good. So much nostalgia in that episode imo. Best episode in a long time.

And even though Ash pretty much sucks when it comes to league competitions, he seems to excel in just about everything else.

A list of miscellaneous competitions he's won or been runner-up in:
P1 Grand Prix (champion)
Pokémon Swap Meet Tauros Battling Competition (winner)
Bug-Catching Contest (champion)
Grass Tournament (runner-up)
Sumo Conference (champion)
Pokémon Balloon Race (champion)
Extreme Pokémon (champion)
Crossgate Town (champion)
Squallville (champion)
Rota Tournament (champion)
Terracotta Contest (unofficial) (winner - tied with May)
Pokémon Cosplay Contest (runner-up)
Hearthome City Tag Battle Competition (champion - with Paul)
Hearthome Collection (runner-up, unique award)
Pokémon Summer Academy Triathlon (Winner)
Twinleaf Festival Battle Tournament (winner)
Pokéathlon (runner-up)
Club Battle (runner-up)
Wishing Bell Festival (runner-up)
Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup (runner-up)
Marine Cup Tournament (winner)

Gorillaz

He's a loser cos he didn't fuck misty, may, dawn, his mum, professor ivy and all the other feenin' honies he came across. Brock was a simp but shit, he tried to get it in at least

The funny thing about this is my dad told me when I was a kid (im talking like 6-8ish he's saying this type of stuff to me) that while ash was training to be the best brock was basically fucking chicks on the side and they were just putting up fronts

It's called "The Fires of a Red Hot Reunion" or "燃えよリザードン!VSカイリュー! Burn, Lizardon! VS Kairyu!" in Japan. Episode 116 of Best Wishes/Black and White: Adventures in Unova. It's reaaalllly good. So much nostalgia in that episode imo.

And even though Ash pretty much sucks when it comes to league competitions, he seems to excel in just about everything else.

A list of miscellaneous competitions he's won or been runner-up in:
P1 Grand Prix (champion)
Pokémon Swap Meet Tauros Battling Competition (winner)
Bug-Catching Contest (champion)
Grass Tournament (runner-up)
Sumo Conference (champion)
Pokémon Balloon Race (champion)
Extreme Pokémon (champion)
Crossgate Town (champion)
Squallville (champion)
Rota Tournament (champion)
Terracotta Contest (unofficial) (winner - tied with May)
Pokémon Cosplay Contest (runner-up)
Hearthome City Tag Battle Competition (champion - with Paul)
Hearthome Collection (runner-up, unique award)
Pokémon Summer Academy Triathlon (Winner)
Twinleaf Festival Battle Tournament (winner)
Pokéathlon (runner-up)
Club Battle (runner-up)
Wishing Bell Festival (runner-up)
Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup (runner-up)
Marine Cup Tournament (winner)

Thanks, mate!

BasilZero

Ash is just a joke of a character.

There's been far more superior and successful characters in the anime.

He is an embarrassment for Red :(

Yakumo

Banned
I really have to wonder what people see in pokemon, especially the TV shows. When it originally came out I was either 19 or 20 and found it pathetic then. Now I'm 37 and have to watch this show (Pokemon Best Wishes season 2) on TV every week because my son likes it. Every show it's the same story. The same plot. Nothing ever changes. Even the movies are basically all the same. It's like Dragonball. Same thing over and over again.

There are just some things in this world I don't get :p

CimBom

Banned
One Piece is the ONLY thing anyone can believe in any more.

dat GODA! the man is a genius, nuff said. how the guy has kept up the quality for 16 years is a testament just to how much of a genius he really is.

onto pokemon, loved that show it used to be the shit, but man even an 8-10 year old me would get annoyed at how they would always shaft him at every league and nerf him at the beginning of every region. 12 years later they still do this shit, seriously i'm shocked that after all this time the guy has made the top 4 only once? that's crazy. literally zero progression whatsoever. either these writers are just plain bad or nintendo is forcing them not to progress the plot, probably the latter but w/e. how does this show even have an audience now if its the same thing recycled constantly?

satori

Wait I stop watching this since the first movie. Are you serious he never won the main tournament? Good lord here I thought dbz dragged shit out lol.

I really have to wonder what people see in pokemon, especially the TV shows. When it originally came out I was either 19 or 20 and found it pathetic then. Now I'm 37 and have to watch this show (Pokemon Best Wishes season 2) on TV every week because my son likes it. Every show it's the same story. The same plot. Nothing ever changes. Even the movies are basically all the same. It's like Dragonball. Same thing over and over again.

There are just some things in this world I don't get :p
You're an old man, you were old when it came out. Why do you expect to like it?

JoeM86

It would've been nice to see the rest of the darkrai trainers pokemon. Too bad ash could only take out 2 of the 6.

He was the only trainer in all of Sinnoh to have even taken out one, and he took out two. People still say Ash is a failure.

Did Misty ever come back? , what about Brock? Wasn't there a reference to a possible romance between Ash and Misty, did anything ever come of that?

The show never seem to go anywhere, a large part of the show seem to be filler, from what i hear it hasn't changed much over the years.

Misty and Brock are now recurring characters. They will never be back as full cast members.

As for the romance, while there were a couple of very very small hints in the Japanese version, the rest of it is largely dub created

so what you're telling me is that this kid has made essentially no progress since i stopped watching the show years and years ago.

Progress is not determined by winning a league, and he has actually shown progress.

Since Kanto, Ash hasn't received badges out of generosity from the Gym Leaders as per Pewter Gym, Celadon Gym, Saffron Gym. Heck, Clay wanted to throw in the towel and Ash wouldn't let him. Yes, there have been some stupid moments like where Ash was convinced he'd have swept Elesa's Gym with Palpitoad, only to have to change his team half way through, but there is definite progression

I would still watch the series if it had actual progression.

I recall Ash beating some tough ass people, and his pikachu being so "leveled up" and near the start of the "next chapter" of his journey his pikachu ends up losing to a kid's starter pokemon who the kid has only been with for less than a month. I was like "okay, screw it, this is too much of a reset."

Just plain lazy writing. They could easily get around it by giving ash a new starter pokemon of that region and have ash try to fight with that (and will only use pikachu at higher level fights/and in team rocket/magma etc situations). Losing then wouldn't seem as stupid.

Levels don't really exist in the anime so it's not that "lazy writing". Plus his loss against Trip's Snivy is fully explainable.

Pikachu had recently been hit by Zekrom's attack. This had severely weakened it and prevented it from being able to use its attacks.

To put it in game terms. Level 100 Pikachu VS Level 5 Snivy. Pikachu has 1 HP left. It uses a move, the move misses. Snivy then uses its move, it hits, Pikachu is knocked out.

It's not that farfetched. They explain it.

Besides, the show would suck if Ash was constantly winning everything

Another complaint I often see is that Ash never evolves his Pokémon, and he always releases them. He hasn't released a Pokémon since 1999 and some of the ones he "has" (Primepae, Squirtle, Charizard, Gliscor) are just in training and can come back.

Ash's Fully Evolved Pokémon

Butterfree (Caught as Caterpie - Released)
Charizard (Caught as Charmander)
Primeape (Caught as Primeape - In training)
Muk (Caught as Muk)
Kingler (Caught as Krabby)
Snorlax (Caught as Snorlax)
Pidgeot (Caught as Pidgeotto - Released)
Noctowl (Caught as Noctowl)
Beedrill (Caught as Beedrill - Instantly given away)
Glalie (Caught as Snorunt)
Swellow (Caught as Taillow)
Donphan (Caught as Phanpy)
Sceptile (Caught as Treecko)
Staraptor (Caught as Starly)
Torterra (Caught as Turtwig)
Infernape (Caught as Chimchar)
Gliscor (Caught as Gligar)
Unfezant (Caught as Pidove)
Leavanny (Caught as Sewaddle)
Krookodile (Caught as Krokorok)

Middle Evolutions
Pikachu (Caught as Pikachu)
Bayleef (Caught as Chikorita)
Quilava (Caught as Cyndaquil)
Pignite (Caught as Tepig)
Boldore (Caught as Roggenrola)
Palptitoad (Caught as Palpitoad)

Have Yet to Evolve
Bulbasaur
Squirtle
Totodile
Corphish
Buizel
Gible
Snivy
Oshawott
Scraggy

Can't Evolve
Tauros * 30
Heracross
Torkoal
Lapras - Released

He also had an Aipom which he traded to Dawn which then evolved

Dang0

I sort of wish they'd have self contained series for each game, with a different cast each time, but I guess they make more money the way they do it now.

JoeM86

I sort of wish they'd have self contained series for each game, with a different cast each time, but I guess they make more money the way they do it now.

They technically do. Only Ash and Team Rocket have been in all the seasons. They're largely selfcontained, too.

The Gen III series introduced May and Max
The Gen IV series introduced Dawn
The Gen V series introduced Iris & Cilan
The Gen VI series will introduce new main characters too

People complain about the show, but if it had a different character than Ash, it wouldn't be different at all. He'd get the starters, battle through the region, lose here and there, face off against antagonists. There would be fillers and everything. It'd be the same as before, simple as that.

image.php

They technically do. Only Ash and Team Rocket have been in all the seasons. They're largely selfcontained, too.

The Gen III series introduced May and Max
The Gen IV series introduced Dawn
The Gen V series introduced Iris & Cilan
The Gen VI series will introduce new main characters too

People complain about the show, but if it had a different character than Ash, it wouldn't be different at all. He'd get the starters, battle through the region, lose here and there, face off against antagonists. There would be fillers and everything. It'd be the same as before, simple as that.

You're assuming the main character would be just like Ash...there is no promise that he would be similar.

JoeM86

You're assuming the main character would be just like Ash...there is no promise that he would be similar.

No, but to follow the entire premise of Pokémon, they'd have to be similar. They'd also have to be relateable for kids, so nice but not perfect.

It'd be cool and new at first, but then people will realise it's the same.

Soriku

This show is the biggest scam ever. I mean let him win a League every now and then to keep things fresh, shit. Has anyone ever asked the writers why Ash never wins a League?

No, but to follow the entire premise of Pokémon, they'd have to be similar. They'd also have to be relateable for kids, so nice but not perfect.

It'd be cool and new at first, but then people will realise it's the same.

You can have intelligently written cartoons for children. Kids are much sharper then they let on. Kids enjoy Pokemon for various reasons...now show me that in the anime...they can take some risks.

Let this show be as good as Teen Titans...

JoeM86

This show is the biggest scam ever. I mean let him win a League every now and then to keep things fresh, shit. Has anyone ever asked the writers why Ash never wins a League?

Yes, they said that once Ash wins and his goal is completed, then it's time to end the show.

That said, the last two sagas they have been putting down groundwork for what's next after Ash wins a league. They've mentioned the Champion League several times now and you need to win a region's league in order to be eligible for entry.

rvy

Banned
Motherfucker has no game, no interest in girls around him and sleeps with his Pokémon. Yeah, he's a loser. At least Tsubasa married his girl, even if he slept with a football.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yes, they said that once Ash wins and his goal is completed, then it's time to end the show.

That said, the last two sagas they have been putting down groundwork for what's next after Ash wins a league. They've mentioned the Champion League several times now and you need to win a region's league in order to be eligible for entry.
Damn, if I could see all the champions (when Ash competed) again, I would be so hyped.

Top Bottom