• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun and Moon Starters Revealed. Releases November 18th 2016.

Siege.exe

Look at it this way.

If Rowlet was pure Grass right now, it would be kinda weird, right? It's an owl. It can obviously fly. They didn't really have a choice but to give it the Flying sub-type. Upon evolution however, I could see it losing the ability to fly through significant physical change as you mentioned. I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, but it's possible.

Yes, it would be really weird if it were pure Grass, which is why it wouldn't guarantee a Grass/Flying future. I really don't see it changing, and sure, anything's possible, but I just find the likelihood of that change to be fairly low.

GoldStarz

grass as a type is already not great at all and grass flying is even worse

5 weaknesses with one being x4 is not good

Talonflame got lucky with that obnoxious gale wings ability, if Rowlet doesn't get some excellent ability it's totally fucked.
That's completely fair.

Talonflame is fast though, and has Gale Wings.

It doesn't feel like Rowlet is the fastest of the trio.
We literally know nothing about it stats or HA-wise, it could pull off Grass/Flying for all we know.

Look at it this way.

If Rowlet was pure Grass right now, it would be kinda weird, right? It's an owl. It can obviously fly. They didn't really have a choice but to give it the Flying sub-type. Upon evolution however, I could see it losing the ability to fly through significant physical change as you mentioned. I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, but it's possible.
By that logic, Torchic and Piplup should be Flying type
("but Penguins can't fly" "neither can fucking Ostritches but that doesn't stop Dodrio")
, Mudkip should by Ground, and Oshawott should be Rock, Steel, or Fighting from the get go.

Yeah, Shaymin-S is Grass/Flying and that's an Uber, so there's hope for Rowlet yet (even if it won't quite have Skymin's BST, obviously).

Shaymin-S is Uber for reasons beyond the Grass/Flying type though. It's disgustingly powerful with Serene Grace in conjunction with Air Flinch + Seed Flare.

I think it's fair to say that Rowlett won't exactly reach that level of power. Though that doesn't mean it can't find its own niche (like how Greninja turned out to be really versatile with Protean).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We literally know nothing about it stats or HA-wise, it could pull off Grass/Flying for all we know.

Yeah, I'm just saying.

Maybe Litten might end up being the slowest or Popplio the fastest, but I'm just usually looking at the designs.

.JayZii

Banned
Those leaked secondary types sound like someone just doing some extrapolation. They still sound likely to me, though. Litten being volcano themed seems inevitable for a Hawaiian region. And who doesn't want to see a bipedal fighting clown seal, anyway?

NeonZ

Honestly I've been having an idea looming about for a while. But why not make the starters... you know, suck? They could be useful for the first chapters in the game but after that the game should force you to abandon your starter in favor of other pokemon.

I know I'll be in an extreme minority but I would really like to see how that would shake up the formula for single player.

Most Shin Megami Tensei games basically do that with all early game demons, and I've never been fond of that design choice. I like to get attached to my party members, not see them as expendable resources.

I'm just saying that it's not nearly as likely as some of you are making it out to be
, or all that interesting or cool of a thing for them to do
. Even they do have such a change planned, I don't think that this list of 5 types is the thing that will give it away.

Also, at least in the past (Ninjask, Scizor, Steelix, Masquerain, etc.), those type changes came alongside significant physical change. Rowlet is probably not going to stop being an owl any time soon, so changing it to a ground type just because there's a type of owl that burrows underground, which Rowlet could very well not evolve into by the way, doesn't feel like that good of a reason to do it.

It could evolve into a more humanoid form that can't fly. It's not really the same since there aren't type changes, but, design-wise, look at the Blaziken line. You've got an initial Chicken/Chick looking Pokemon that just gets less bird-like as it evolves.

Litten being volcano themed seems inevitable for a Hawaiian region.

I really don't think it's going to be volcano themed, they already did that with the other Fire/Ground-types in the series (Camerupt and Primal Groudon). If anything the Ground-type is going to be related to the sulfur theme that's associated with Litten.

RagnarokX

The problem with Rowlet becoming Grass/Ground is even if it is based on the burrowing owl it's still a flying bird. Other pokemon that fly but do not have flying type have levitate, such as the Ground/Dragon Flygon, but as a starter Rowlet will have overgrow. Starter abilities never change and I don't see them changing that.

Burrowing owls also don't dig burrows but instead take over burrows made by other animals and make sounds mimicking rattlesnakes to scare away predators.

Most Shin Megami Tensei games basically do that with all early game demons, and I've never been fond of that design choice. I like to get attached to my party members, not see them as expendable resources.

But then you only ever get to play with about 6 out of 700+ mons, ignoring like 99% of them. That seems like a huge waste. Variety is the spice of life, I always try out as many different mons on my team as possible during the campaign.

Siege.exe

It could evolve into a more humanoid form that can't fly. It's not really the same since there aren't type changes, but, design-wise, look at the Blaziken line. You've got an initial Chicken/Chick looking Pokemon that just gets less bird-like as it evolves.

Torchic didn't lose a secondary typing in that transition though.

Delio

Heh so funny seeing people rush to upload videos on the "starter typing leaks" and one was trying to rationale away why Ground becomes the primary type for Litten.

Sou Da

But then you only ever get to play with about 6 out of 700+ mons, ignoring like 99% of them. That seems like a huge waste. Variety is the spice of life, I always try out as many different mons on my team as possible during the campaign.
What is the postgame? You might as well be asking people to switch their whole team after every battle.

Heh so funny seeing people rush to upload videos on the "starter typing leaks" and one was trying to rationale away why Ground becomes the primary type for Litten.

Meanwhile the Japanese intern that uploaded those buttons and accidentally switched them around is falling over from laughter.

Kinsei

Banned

That requires too much grinding. Besides most of us here probably play through the games multiple times.

Kyzer

Banned
I think its important they always strike the balance between RPG video game and its pet-friendship themes. Your starter Pokemon is like your first pet. So its a lot of things, its like your kid, its like your best friend, its your sidekick. Theres a relationship factor that they've been emphasizing since gen 1

wmlk

I think its important they always strike the balance between RPG video game and its pet-friendship themes. Your starter Pokemon is like your first pet. So its a lot of things, its like your kid, its like your best friend, its your sidekick. Theres a relationship factor that they've been emphasizing since gen 1

Maybe they shouldn't have removed the following Pokémon feature then.

I don't know wtf Game Freak really emphasizes other than the social aspects. They're up and down on different aspects with each game.

ASIS

Both points you brought up are exactly why I had that thought in the first place. There are many reasons why people choose their Pokemon and its not always about power or efficacy. Some people just like some designs over others or their emotional bond they developed an emotional bond with some of their pokemon. By having a starter basically being OP you eliminate this specific choice you have to make. Either keep the Pokemon you are attached to and invest them so that they become ok, or look for other pokemon that will make your journey easier.

That requires too much grinding. Besides most of us here probably play through the games multiple times.

This is true, but if the answer to making the starters crappier is less grinding then I view that as a plus.

Azuran

Banned
Grass/Flying is garbage so I welcome a typing change to Grass/Ground even thought it wouldn't make much difference. At least you can spam Earthquake so that's always cool no matter what.

GoldStarz

Both points you brought up are exactly why I had that thought in the first place. There are many reasons why people choose their Pokemon and its not always about power or efficacy. Some people just like some designs over others or their emotional bond they developed an emotional bond with some of their pokemon. By having a starter basically being OP you eliminate this specific choice you have to make. Either keep the Pokemon you are attached to and invest them so that they become ok, or look for other pokemon that will make your journey easier.

This is true, but if the answer to making the starters crappier is less grinding then I view that as a plus.

You can pretty much beat the game with only shit mons if they're leveled high enough and you've prepped enough tbh. Not much reason to choose.

I only keep my starter in my very first playthrough of a game. I typically ditch them in subsequent playthroughs, unless I feel like using one of them.

Boss Doggie

I love how people forget the actual Volcano starter Pokemon

it's the fat beige blob with fire for quills

Zubz

Banned
Apparently the secondary types of Litten's and Popplio's evolved forms might've gotten leaked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/4jg3vd/smo_major_spoilers_litten_and_popplios_final_evo/

They're
Ground
and
Fighting
respectively.

I don't like to give this kinds of video the click; what's this person's credibility/reasoning for having this "leaked information?"

That's a bit disappointing, either way; I definitely wanted Popplio to be part-Fairy, and the whole "Clown" angle definitely seems to be more in favor of that than fighting (See: Mr. Mime). Plus, Litten visually looks like it could be Dark-Type, or maybe a Poison-Type; outside of its face looking like the chemical symbol for sulfur, I have no idea where the Ground part would come from. Granted, this is the same company that made Tepig into a Fire-Type, so I'm not ruling either one out. It's just that they seem relatively unlikely.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ditching your Starter is sick.

I even kept Snivy through Unova even though I hated it. I've never dropped a Starter, and I never will.

Kyzer

Banned
I don't like to give this kinds of video the click; what's this person's credibility/reasoning for having this "leaked information?"

That's a bit disappointing, either way; I definitely wanted Popplio to be part-Fairy, and the whole "Clown" angle definitely seems to be more in favor of that than fighting (See: Mr. Mime). Plus, Litten visually looks like it could be Dark-Type, or maybe a Poison-Type; outside of its face looking like the chemical symbol for sulfur, I have no idea where the Ground part would come from. Granted, this is the same company that made Tepig into a Fire-Type, so I'm not ruling either one out. It's just that they seem relatively unlikely.

well...volcanoes...ground. lava fulfur fire.i thought litten was gonna be rock but only because i was thinking of the matchups, ground makes sense too.

ill be surprised if the word "fur" from sulfur isnt used somehow

GoldStarz

The black part is Earth, the red part in magma coming through, I thought Fire/Ground or Fire/Rock was just as obvious as Fire/Dark tbh

Kinsei

Banned

It's more likely that Rowlet becomes Grass/Ground and Litten stays pure fire.

The source of the leak is the Japanese site. In the starter section they have images for the types like the NA site, but they also have a ground image in between the flying and fire images and a fighting image after the water image.

Here's direct links to the images. http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/images/icon03.png http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/images/icon06.png

V-Faction

I went to view some videos about burrowing owls and now I can't stop watching owl videos! Get out of my head, owls!

This happened days before when I looked up seal videos, damn it!

Boss Doggie

if he does end up being a big seal fighter I will name him Swolerus, but for now I'll be at Litten.

Something like chesnaught except not hunched over would be great.

I'll be a tad disappointed if he doesn't learn acrobatics, bounce, and encore lol.

chesnaught's not lean though, he looks bulky

I am surprised at the lack of "Rowlet eating Rattata" pics

WV8xA4c.jpg

but yeah i hope the bord turns out good

GoldStarz

Comparing type charts and I don't get why people think Grass/Flying is any worse off than Grass/Ground. Yeah it has one more weakness, but either way it's still got it's 4x weakness to Ice and it's got another resistance to make up for that. Not to mention a resistance to Fighting and Water and Immunity to Ground is way more useful than Resistances to Ground and Rock and an Immunity to Electric.

I can understand some stigma given how the Hoppip line isn't especially useful and Torterra is the only Grass/Ground to reference, but I don't see how the latter typing is inherently superior, especially since it doesn't make much sense.

CazTGG

Comparing type charts and I don't get why people think Grass/Flying is any worse off than Grass/Ground. Yeah it has one more weakness, but either way it's still got it's 4x weakness to Ice and it's got another resistance to make up for that. Not to mention a resistance to Fighting and Water and Immunity to Ground is way more useful than Resistances to Ground and Rock and an Immunity to Electric.

I can understand some stigma given how the Hoppip line isn't especially useful and Torterra is the only Grass/Ground to reference, but I don't see how the latter typing is inherently superior, especially since it doesn't make much sense.

Immunity to paralysis/switching into Electric spam is incredibly helpful if they turn out to be a speedy Pokémon, for one, not to mention the fact that STAB Earthquake/Earth Power lacks the recoil of Brave Bird nor the occasional letdown in accuracy and lack of power for Air Slash, plus it gives them a neutral typing to Poison-type attacks which are more common now due to the rise of Fairy-type Pokémon and poison being one of their two weaknesses.

Having said that...I don't think that Ground/Fighting will be the secondary typing of the starters. Fire/Ground is terrible given the prevalence of Water-Type Pokémon outweighs any benefit of not getting burned or paralyzed (assuming it's not a special-based and frail Pokémon) and I doubt we're getting another Fire/Fighting after skipping it for a mere generation. I also don't see Popplio becoming a muscular W/F seal given that its main trait as of now is its acrobatics so unless they pull a complete 180 and go for a "world's strongest man"-esque carnival design I can't see them taking it in that direction, let alone a Grass/Fighting that involves dropping the Flying-type it once had.

For the most part, I agree, Grass/Ground and Grass/Flying aren't really all that different when you look at the weakness charts and immunities.

Immunity to Electric means no paralysis (unless you have Body Slam), and Electric is a strong and common offensive type to face against, whereas Immunity to Ground means no Toxic Spikes, Spikes, but you take more damage from Stealth Rocks. When it comes down to it, Immunity to Electric is a bit more useful since you take out a key status on top of eliminating Electric moves in general. Not to say that immunity to spikes isn't huge, because it is, but you're left open to a 75% speed drop.

Weaknesses in general goes down to this: Fire, Flying, Ice (4x), Poison, Rock for Grass/Flying vs. Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice (4x) for Grass/Ground. In both cases, both types suffer as they have to deal with common offensive types in Fire and Ice. I'm not really sure one edges out the other, Flying gives you more resistances and an immunity, but is hampered by Grass being an inherently poor defensive type. Ground is similar, but again hampered by Grass's inherently poor defensive typing.

Crayolan

I always use a starter on the first playthrough, then on replays it's 50/50.

I disagree on the grounds that XY battles at least have some sort of background event. In ORAS it was bland.

The background events are so pointless the overwhelming majority of people probably aren't even aware they exist. I didn't know they were in the game until I read about it online.

They add nothing to the presentation.

First time I'm hearing people didn't like x and y. Loved those guys.

You must be new here.

It's good to hear that my idea held some water then at least :p.

But I might give it another go, i have this strange connection with Pokemon games where my love or hate for them do not depend solely on the games quality, but also on my private life, and 2010 was... well it wasn't the best year for me. Things are much better now though, so there's that.

If you hate Gen V because you can't use old pokemon, just play BW2. It's the better game anyway. If you like that then you can go back to BW1 later.

That's what replays are for. Keeping a team of 6 you get attached to over the course of the game is great.

GoldStarz

Immunity to paralysis/switching into Electric spam is incredibly helpful if they turn out to be a speedy Pokémon, for one, not to mention the fact that STAB Earthquake/Earth Power lacks the recoil of Brave Bird nor the occasional letdown in accuracy and lack of power for Air Slash, plus it gives them a neutral typing to Poison-type attacks which are more common now due to the rise of Fairy-type Pokémon and poison being one of their two weaknesses.

Having said that...I don't think that Ground/Fighting will be the secondary typing of the starters. Fire/Ground is terrible given the prevalence of Water-Type Pokémon outweighs any benefit of not getting burned or paralyzed (assuming it's not a special-based and frail Pokémon) and I doubt we're getting another Fire/Fighting after skipping it for a mere generation. I also don't see Popplio becoming a muscular W/F seal given that its main trait as of now is its acrobatics so unless they pull a complete 180 and go for a "world's strongest man"-esque carnival design I can't see them taking it in that direction, let alone a Grass/Fighting that involves dropping the Flying-type it once had.

For the most part, I agree, Grass/Ground and Grass/Flying aren't really all that different when you look at the weakness charts and immunities.

Immunity to Electric means no paralysis (unless you have Body Slam), and Electric is a strong and common offensive type to face against, whereas Immunity to Ground means no Toxic Spikes, Spikes, but you take more damage from Stealth Rocks. When it comes down to it, Immunity to Electric is a bit more useful since you take out a key status on top of eliminating Electric moves in general. Not to say that immunity to spikes isn't huge, because it is, but you're left open to a 75% speed drop.

Weaknesses in general goes down to this: Fire, Flying, Ice (4x), Poison, Rock for Grass/Flying vs. Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice (4x) for Grass/Ground. In both cases, both types suffer as they have to deal with common offensive types in Fire and Ice. I'm not really sure one edges out the other, Flying gives you more resistances and an immunity, but is hampered by Grass being an inherently poor defensive type. Ground is similar, but again hampered by Grass's inherently poor defensive typing.

These make sense, although it's still sounding like Grass/Ground really only edges out Grass/Flying because of a "if-then"

Boss Doggie

The background events are so pointless the overwhelming majority of people probably aren't even aware they exist. I didn't know they were in the game until I read about it online.

They add nothing to the presentation.

They do actually, like random leaves being blown or cave droplets appearing and such. In ORAS it was static.

Starter evolutions can sometimes be unpredictable nowadays, so Rowlett changing to Grass/Ground wouldn't surprise me too much. I'm pretty sure that people that the Oshawott line was heading to some Fighting type samurai as opposed to what we got, and I don't think many people were expecting the Piplup line to eventually become Water/Steel.

Top Bottom