• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Bank may not be compatible with Sun and moon on release

Syntsui

I always wonder if the people who are constantly complaining about perfect IV Pokemon online ever bothered trying to breed their own Pokemon in-game or not.

I don't even care about hacked Pokemon because GameFreak has made it easier than ever to make your own good Pokemon. In X/Y I had about a box and a half worth of 5IV Pokemon with the perfect IVs in the proper places, which is all you need for the majority of competitive Pokemon. And now they're adding a way to increase a Pokemon's IVs after the fact so making your own team of perfect Pokemon should be a breeze.

Dude, don't try to school me. I know very well how easy it is nowadays to have 5IV Pokémons. The problem with hackings are not the IVs anymore, its the amount of duplicate legendaries with different natures and stats distribution, specially considering how versatile most of them are and that they are legal in most competitions. This is a legit concern.

Dude, don't try to school me. I know very well how easy it is nowadays to have 5IV Pokémons. The problem with hackings are not the IVs anymore, its the amount of duplicate legendaries with different natures and stats distribution, specially considering how versatile most of them are and that they are legal in most competitions. This is a legit concern.

I have SR'ed many (near) perfect legendaries myself. Hacked legendatres are no different from hacked breedables aside from the amount of potential time spent that is being circumvented.

On topic: It's not too big of a deal, though potentially being unable to get certain egg moves on new mon until then will really suck. Also having to wait to import my now 40(and counting) Bubble Beam Mewtwo will be annoying.

Briarios

That sucks for most players, but not for me! Why? The Pokemon bank deleted 3 pages of my Pokemon including all my legendaries ... It's ok, really. It's ... <sniff-sniff>

*bawling*

Ah yes, we have to pay for the luxury of transferring and it might not even be there at launch.

Still not convinced this is better than the old minigames since I have no interest in the cloud storage.

freoleo29

The XY metagame was at its peak for the 5 or so months before any hackmons/legends could be transferred so this will be brilliant.

No legendaries in every team brings so much more diversity to the Meta

The XY metagame was at its peak for the 5 or so months before any hackmons/legends could be transferred so this will be brilliant.

No legendaries in every team brings so much more diversity to the Meta

but you could legit exploit and make perfect shinys in XY shortly after release. That's how I got my Greninja

Forkball

The website updated today detailing more info. Basically what you would expect (WE GET IT YOU CAN'T PUT SUN/MOON POKEMON BACK INTO XY), but there are some interesting tidbits:

+Pokemon RBY VC will have to go through the Poke Transporter like Black/White
+A new Pokedex feature which is kind of vague

A new National Pokédex feature is coming to help you check out the particulars of the Pokémon you’ve deposited!
When Pokémon Bank is updated to support Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, it will also gain a new Pokédex feature.

The application will read your saved data from any games* you connect with it, collecting information about Pokémon you’ve caught, so you can check it.

Using the Pokédex feature in Pokémon Bank, you’ll be able to see this information—even about Pokémon that don’t appear in the Alola region of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

*The games that can connect with this Pokédex function are Pokémon Sun, Pokémon Moon, Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y.

sept20_p13_01_en.png

I wonder if that means we will be able to download or Pokedex data from other games into Sun/Moon, meaning we don't have to physically transfer every Pokemon into Sun/Moon to get credit? That would be useful.

As for the three month wait, the Bank also didn't release with XY and came in January. I understand the furor, considering we pay for this thing, but the time before the hacked mons flood in will be fun. Plus the fee is yearly, so it's not like you're paying month by month for something you can't use.

Regiruler

That sucks for most players, but not for me! Why? The Pokemon bank deleted 3 pages of my Pokemon including all my legendaries ... It's ok, really. It's ... <sniff-sniff>

*bawling*
Wait, why were they deleted? Was it for not paying the cost?

I haven't used it in years but I have some pokemon in there and now I'm concerned...
This is good news as far as I'm concerned.

They were never good.
Gen 4->5 one was legitimately fun.

Juraash

On a personal level, this is fine for me. I enjoy catching Pokemon and raising them in new games. I've transferred stuff vis the bank before and even know a replay I don't find it is enjoyable as going in fresh. Once I get to the endgame, then I'll move over my living Dex.

It's still coming, just not day one, which is fine with me.

Parshias7

So then take those Legendaries and use the new IV boost to make them perfect.

The only legitimate hacking concerns are those weird edge cases like the Softboiled Clefable that you could only get back in Emerald or whatever. Except maybe not even that, since you can boost that thing's IVs too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I expect a PkHex(a save editor for gen 6 games currently) update within 24 hours of release.

I wish there was an easier way to mess with the VC Gen1 stuff. I extracted the save, but trying to get it recognized as a non-corrupt by the 2DS has been a pain in the ass.

I wish there was an easier way to mess with the VC Gen1 stuff. I extracted the save, but trying to get it recognized as a non-corrupt by the 2DS has been a pain in the ass.

If all else fails you could always use arbitrary code execution to change whatever you want in RBY.

I take no responsibility for corrupted save files =p

Kinsei

Banned
That's dumb. It's not like this is en 5 with no old Pokemon until the post game. They're pandering to nostalgia so hard that they might as well go all the way and just let people transfer over their old Pokemon.

It's so people focus on the new mons. Makes sense to me

That doesn't really make sense considering how many old Pokemon we've seen in the trailers.

Total non-issue.
I can still do Bank stuff with XY or ORAS and this makes people focus on SM stuff without just importing a bunch of old Pokémon to ignore new content.
It's just two months, which is perfect for SM-only tournaments like those I saw held when XY was released.

Zomba13

While I fully understand and agree with the whole "it's so you don't just import a team of old ones into the new one!" and it forces you to use the new ones, I think that is way too long. Like, if it was delayed like a week from the games launch, or if you could only use bank to import from previous gens once you beat the game (whatever gets you the credits for the first time) that'd be fine but this just seems a bit much.

If it updated around launch you could still have SM only tournaments or matches in the game (make an Alolah only or national toggle), you could still choose to only play with SM mons and choose to wait till you're done to import (like I was planning on doing).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Disappointing as I had plans to transfer over a newly hatched Charmander and use him on my adventure through the Alola region.

Ah well it doesn't matter as I had plans to restart the game when I got to gen 7 in my Pokémon run and 2 month isn't that bad in the grand scheme.

You will get your Charmander in Alola. There is no way it won't be in the game considering you can ride Charizards there.

Yeah but my Charmander is better as he's hatched in a Timer Ball and has the move Flamethrower and Dragon Pulse, a move that he can't naturally learn, and is just stronger as he's from a long line of generational breeding spanning back from the original Charizard I used when I first played Pokémon FireRed.

While I fully understand and agree with the whole "it's so you don't just import a team of old ones into the new one!" and it forces you to use the new ones, I think that is way too long. Like, if it was delayed like a week from the games launch, or if you could only use bank to import from previous gens once you beat the game (whatever gets you the credits for the first time) that'd be fine but this just seems a bit much.

If it updated around launch you could still have SM only tournaments or matches in the game (make an Alolah only or national toggle), you could still choose to only play with SM mons and choose to wait till you're done to import (like I was planning on doing).

There's precedent for that kind of idea too, Gen 6 had multiple tournaments where you could only use Pokemon that were caught in Kalos or Hoenn.

I wonder why it's not a priority for launch.

They probably are figuring people will want to explore the region and catch all new Pokemon. It's not too bad of an idea in concept but for a majority of the fanbase that wants to use their old Pokemon in game post E4 it's kind of disappointing. Someone mentioned earlier that a week or so would be good, but I mean...January is quite a long time.

The website updated today detailing more info. Basically what you would expect (WE GET IT YOU CAN'T PUT SUN/MOON POKEMON BACK INTO XY), but there are some interesting tidbits:

+Pokemon RBY VC will have to go through the Poke Transporter like Black/White
+A new Pokedex feature which is kind of vague

Wish they'd update the UI a bit more in Bank. I'd like to switch between the Bank and my Box on the bottom screen so I can click and drag stuff instead of manually moving it.

I'm pretty happy about this. It means we'll have 2 months of online battling that's actually enjoyable. I'm surprised it's only 2 months - thought it'd be at least 3 or 4.

Wiseblade

It's a little disappointing that Gen VI Pokémon can never go back after touching Sun/Moon. It makes sense though, but man...

WPS

It's a little disappointing that Gen VI Pokémon can never go back after touching Sun/Moon. It makes sense though, but man...

To be honest I'm kind of surprised at this. They already have the mechanics in place to temporarily block pokémon that currently have new moves going to old games due to ORAS. My only worry is they added this because people were confused as to why they couldn't take their Groudon back to XY, but this was already Game Freak's fault as never actually explained the reason.

The other possibility would be a extra internal data being stored in each Pokémon which would be lost if sent back to the old system.

Yes, preventing people from instantly importing pokemon and making them wait a while is a bad idea...

It is. I keep seeing people bring up that this allows online to stay "pure" for a little, but why doesn't GF just implement an Alola-only mode for PvP, then? Everybody wins. Players who want to have fun with foreign Pokemon don't have to wait, and people who don't want online to be flooded with broken stuff from Gen 6 have an option that lasts forever instead of a two-month honeymoon period.

cyba89

That's really dumb. The whole point of the service is to easily transfer your Pokémon across multiple games and now it isn't ready when the new game comes out? That's why people pay for the service.
Wouldn't be Nintendo and online if there wouldn't be a catch apparently.

Wiseblade

To be honest I'm kind of surprised at this. They already have the mechanics in place to temporarily block pokémon that currently have new moves going to old games due to ORAS. My only worry is they added this because people were confused as to why they couldn't take their Groudon back to XY, but this was already Game Freak's fault as never actually explained the reason.

The other possibility would be a extra internal data being stored in each Pokémon which would be lost if sent back to the old system.
The bolded was my first thought. It might be that GF don't want to bog down Bank with layers of incompatibility warnings. I can get on board if it means I never have to see disclaimers like Kalos Rules ever again.

Two months. I actually like it. Everyone will have to focus on their Sun/Moon teams for a while before all the hacked shiny mewtwos get transferred over. Play through the campaigns with an entirely fresh team.

Lothars

Yes, preventing people from instantly importing pokemon and making them wait a while is a bad idea...

It is. I keep seeing people bring up that this allows online to stay "pure" for a little, but why doesn't GF just implement an Alola-only mode for PvP, then? Everybody wins. Players who want to have fun with foreign Pokemon don't have to wait, and people who don't want online to be flooded with broken stuff from Gen 6 have an option that lasts forever instead of a two-month honeymoon period.
Exactly, This is a bad decision and smh at anyone defending it.

Falchion

That blows, why force trainers to wait that long? If they've got enough badges in the new games to control all their Bank Pokemon, they should be able to use it.

Zomba13

I don't get why Gen 6 can't go back. I mean, SM, ORAS and XY all use the bank. I totally get say, an Alolan caught Pokémon from a previous gen not being able to go backwards (Unless they just set it up with stuff like "from a distant land" or whatever) but it makes no sense why I can't put my Greninja from X into bank, into Sun, back into bank then into AS. Obviously block items and moves not found in earlier gens too.

Though really, there is no understanding GF. Like, I hate when they remove features between gens and replace them with things that arn't as good or useful but I get it, they want each gen to feel different. But something like ORAS, it was Gen 6 but had a bunch of new stuff that made a ton of things incompatible with XY. Why couldn't they do a patch that added that stuff, not into the game, but for compatibility with other players, so players could battle a team using the new Megas etc. Especially when we're on the 3DS which now supports patches and DLC in a super easy delivery method. I just hope for Gen 8 (or whatever is on the NX) that they smarten up with this stuff. I'm fine with each gen being a cut off point preventing new things going back, but when it's a remake in the same gen or a third version, make the other ones in the gen compatible.

Well, I guess I won't be buying Sun/Moon then. The one reason I specifically wanted it was to fix the horrible IVs on my shiny Gardevoir and send it back to X, the rest of the game doesn't interest me much.

Wiseblade

Well, I guess I won't be buying Sun/Moon then. The one reason I specifically wanted it was to fix the horrible IVs on my shiny Gardevoir and send it back to X, the rest of the game doesn't interest me much.
To what end? You won't get many Multiplayer battles unless you move to the current games and perfect IVs are completely unnecessary for playing the game otherwise. The satisfaction of knowing they're there?

Glix

To what end? You won't get many Multiplayer battles unless you move to the current games and perfect IVs are completely unnecessary for playing the game otherwise. The satisfaction of knowing they're there?

The most amazing part is that they are not intending to buy it even once bank is patched.

Nope, no bank day1, then I'm out!

Restricting bank use until you've beaten the game seems like a much better solution, if they really feel like they need to restrict it.

Wouldn't have a problem with this if it wasn't for the fact that the bank requires a paid subscription. Just seems like an unnecessary inconvenience.

Top Bottom