• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Remakes Announced for 3DS

Hey but didn't you see the 4-5 guys who told me it is possible and everything is patchable? Because of stuff like this I asked if it is even possible to just patch in new Megaforms.
If you read what you quoted, you'd realize that it very much is possible. Due to how it happens though, there'd be the possibility of people removing the patch data that was stored on the SD card, and causing issues with it.

Toxi

Banned
Rival battles need improvements. Currently RSE have the worst rivals in the series, and it's not even close.
Have we received confirmation of whether or not Groudon and Kyogre's formes on the cover are their Mega Evos? They're definitely different, but it doesn't seem like enough of a difference...
I've been at work, so I don't have much time to read this massive thread yet.
Nope. No idea, but I don't know why they'd be forms when mega evos were the main new sixth gen gimmick.
official tier list:
RSE=FRLG=BW>>>>DPPt=HGSS=B2W2>>>>>XY
RSE, FRLG, and BW are all great in different ways.
DPPt, HGSS, and B2W2 have a lot of failings, but are still pretty good.
XY is the worst game in the series, to the point where I almost like Colosseum and XD more than it.
That tier list is terrible

Pt>BW2>HGSS>E>FRLG=RBY>BW>XY>GSC=RS>DP

Totally not biased in any way, shape, or form. :p

Dr. Buni

Ugh, I hate gen wars, but since we are here, let me rank the games according to my tastes (because there is nothing official about opinions):

Platinum
Black/White
Emerald
Black 2/White 2
Fire Red/Leaf Green
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
X/Y

The others are the just the others. I see no reason to put games that eventually got remakes/third versions on the rank.

Completely convincing
WcKMj9u.png

Still better than Luvdisc.

250px-370Luvdisc.png

Come on folks, lets all stop talking about being betrayed and be optomistic for all the cool stuff that we can expect from this remake!

I dunno what you people are going on about. I loved R&S and the secret base system.

I especially loved the fact that mixing records allowed you to go fight your friend's party in their secret base! You could pretty much make your own gyms!
Yeah, I loved the ability to make secret bases and fight your friends in their secret base. Especially since you still got xp (and by extension evs, though that didn't matter to me back then) so you could use them to gain a lot of experience. And secret bases are a perfect match for streetpass as well, so if they're cut or downgraded I'll be super disappointed

Hatchtag

Banned
Seriously, I think some of you are taking this gen wars malarkey to a bizarre extreme if you think a developer releasing a game you simply dislike constitutes a betrayal.

Anyways, good for Hoenn fans, of which I'm not one of. If we get Red/Blue remakes in 2016 for their 20th anniversary, we can truly all be happy.

I honestly strongly expect that.
2014-Hoenn Remakes
2015-Z or X2 Y2 or XZ YZ or XYZ Dragon Cannon
2016-FRLG Remakes
2017-New gen.
I know, it's not technically an annual franchise, but at this point it's pretty close to one, and it seems they're at a pretty good point where they've got enough teams to pump out quality games yearly.

Christopher

If you can go to johto after game it would be awesome.

Gold and silver set the standard that the game wasn't barren after completion with discovering the old land after you already saw credits.

Hoeen totally missed the boat with that although I guess the battle frontier made up for that.

Having the game vs finished after the elite four is so unoriginal and unfufilling now a days. IG made Pokemon gold and silver really feel meaty.

Seriously, I think some of you are taking this gen wars malarkey to a bizarre extreme if you think a developer releasing a game you simply dislike constitutes a betrayal.

Anyways, good for Hoenn fans, of which I'm not one of. If we get Red/Blue remakes in 2016 for their 20th anniversary, we can truly all be happy.
I was pointing out how absurd it is to call Gen 3 a betrayal. I don't like that gen, but I can understand why people like it. :/

Hatchtag

Banned
If you can go to johto after game it would be awesome.

Gold and silver set the standard that the game wasn't barren after completion with discovering the old land after you already saw credits.

Hoeen totally missed the boat with that although I guess the battle frontier made up for that.

Having the game vs finished after the elite four is so unoriginal and unfufilling now a days. IG made Pokemon gold and silver really feel meaty.

No it didn't. There's not shit to do after Red. I wouldn't consider the champion the end of Gold/Silver/Crystal, because than the games are too short. If you count Red, the game's about the same length as the other games. But there's still not jack to do after him. Even in HGSS I didn't really feel there was much to do after him.

TaiKH92

Banned
Ugh, I hate gen wars, but since we are here, let me rank the games according to my tastes (because there is nothing official about opinions):

Platinum
Black/White
Emerald
Black 2/White 2
Fire Red/Leaf Green
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
X/Y

The others are the just the others. I see no reason to put games that eventually got remakes/third versions on the rank.

You have prety good taste ;)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes, it's patchable, but the issue is that in the case of physical copies, patches can be undone.

Also it's not in Game Freak's best interests profit-wise to let people play with the new additions without buying OR/AS.

it would be a battle compatibility patch so that any new formes can be battled between games. It's like how fighting game DLC usually works. You need to put the characters in the base game even if they can't use them to allow online fighting.

Macka

Personally, i love it. A lot of megas i found to be very "over-designed". These look like natural evolutions and make sense. Look at that fucking lava flowing ghrough groudon. Bad ass.
Agreed re; the other Mega's being overdesigned.

I'm actually already fully onboard with this idea lol, would much prefer they stick to this than make even more abominations like Mega Mewtwo X & Y.

Wichu

Nope. No idea, but I don't know why they'd be forms when mega evos were the main new sixth gen gimmick.

Well, they don't have as drastic design changes as existing Mega Evolutions; for example, their silhouettes are identical to their original designs, while every other Mega Evolution has a drastically different silhouette.

My (out there) theory is that OR/AS aren't direct remakes of R/S. So far, the games in each generation have taken place at the same time (barring the explicit sequels B2/W2), with the chronology R/B/Y = R/S/E = FR/LG -> G/S/C = D/P/Pt = HG/SS -> B/W -> B2/W2 -> X/Y.

If OR/AS follow this trend and take place after Ruby/Sapphire, it might be the case that the Groudon/Kyogre in OR/AS aren't the same Groudon/Kyogre that were in the originals.

This is all most likely rubbish, but the new Groudon/Kyogre designs don't necessarily have to be Mega Evolutions.

Dr. Buni

Following Pokemon should return from HG/SS. Might have been a bit gimmicky but oh boy did I love that shit.
Creating smaller/different models for 700+ following Pokémon would be too much work for a pointless gimmick. I love it too, but I simply don't see it happening.

Christopher

No it didn't. There's not shit to do after Red. I wouldn't consider the champion the end of Gold/Silver/Crystal, because than the games are too short. If you count Red, the game's about the same length as the other games. But there's still not jack to do after him. Even in HGSS I didn't really feel there was much to do after him.

Did you not read? I'm sure I said finishing the elite four feels barren and dry that didn't happen in gold and silver.

Toxi

Banned
Creating smaller/different models for 700+ following Pokémon would be too much work for a pointless gimmick. I love it too, but I simply don't see it happening.
Couldn't they just shrink the models they have?

Aren't Ruby and Sapphire already compatible with X and Y? How's that going to work?
They're compatible if you have a DS with a GBA slot, a 3DS, a 4th gen game, a 5th gen game, and X or Y. You can then transfer them from one game to the next.

Wichu

Oh yeah, I'd just like to say I hate May's weirdly stiff/gravity-defying hair.

Although usually female player design > male player design, male hair > female hair.

Dawn has the best hairstyle of the default player characters, though some of X/Y's styles are pretty good as well (the default X/Y style looks messy though).

It won't be an issue if they include X/Y's hairdresser (c'mon Game Freak, you'd better keep character customisation).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Compatible in the sense that you can transfer from RSE all the way up to XY but you need a system that is no longer manufactured.

This makes me wonder if we'll get remakes of Diamond and Pearl if the next Nintendo handheld drops backwards compatibility with the DS.

-Horizon-

I will flip if Brendan or May got the Lyra treatment. Kris was robbed.
It might happen. Though it might just be a slight redesign and then you can customize their hair and clothes later on.

Aren't Ruby and Sapphire already compatible with X and Y? How's that going to work?
I mean, if you're saying that all Hoenn Pokemon are in 4-6th gen games then I think that's true.
If you're talking about being able to send Pokemon from 3rd to 6th gen, that is a convoluted process. To get from gen 3 to 4 you have to use the pal park with a restriction of only 6 Pokemon per 24 hours, then you send those Pokemon to gen 5 which is much easier but still takes too much time since you have to go six Pokemon at a time but with no daily restrictions. Then you finally send them to PokeBank and have XY withdraw them.

Nachos

Hey but didn't you see the 4-5 guys who told me it is possible and everything is patchable? Because of stuff like this I asked if it is even possible to just patch in new Megaforms.

Anything and everything is patchable; that doesn't mean it will be. In this case, it becomes more of an infrastructure and compatibility problem than a content one.

Zalman

Not really sure what problem you're seeing here, but transferring Pokémon from Ruby and Sapphire to X and Y is an entire process that requires you to have a Gen 4 and Gen 5 game too.

Growlie19

No words can contain my hype! Can't wait to explore a 3D Hoenn with my Mudkip! With Smash and Pokémon, Nintendo will be rolling in the dough this holiday!

Nachos

Couldn't they just shrink the models they have?

They could, but remember that the game uses two different models - world models and battle models. The battle models, which are made to be more fully-proportioned, would look really jarring next to the more deformed and simplified ones used everywhere else.

Wichu

Most likely, I can't say I mind though, as the Pokemon remakes are amazing.

Agreed. If there's one developer that really nails remakes, it's Game Freak. Screw all that 'HD Port' bullshit.

I'm not sure which version I want.

I have both Ruby and Sapphire but I can only get one of these. Hmm

Pick Omega Ruby. I'm going to need more people to ruin with Alpha Kyogre.

Top Bottom