• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon that are the wrong type

Gengar.

My favorite Pokemon but too many weaknesses to play it because its a poison type. They should just re-type it as Ghost/Dark, considering its a Shadow Pokemon.

Gengar doesnt need anymore buffs Mega Gengar is already a wreaking ball to make him even more powerful would be insane.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Flygon is in the Bug egg group and Noivern is in the Flying egg group (aka birds-like Pokemon that also includes stuff like Crobat and Archen).

Yeah but it's not like you can't belong in two egg groups. They're the only breedable Dragon types who aren't in Dragon egg groups.

Hilariously enough Gardevoir is Amorphous (i.e. egg group of slimes and ghosts) than human-shape.

Gyarados is water flying because of its lore.

Its based on the japanese folktale where a koi carp (Magikarp) is strong enough to swim up waterfalls to a dragon gate (I think) It will transform into a flying dragon.

dragonkoi.jpg

SerTapTap

Yeah Gengar is a bit weird, I think a lot of gen 1 pokemon kinda got the shaft due to weird decisions, but Gengar's typing is one of the few issues that remain (other issues such as Psychic being OP, bug being complete and utter garbage and Dragon not even having attacks are fixed).

I always thought Giraffarig should be half Dark type though. I mean look at it's butt. And it knows Crunch. Please give me STAB for Crunch. At least we finally got psychic/dark through Inkay's line.

I'm sure this has been said but screw the Fairy Type retconning. Nerfing dragon was a laudable goal but I really don't agree with any other aspect of how Fairy was handled and I don't think Dark type needed another weakness either. They could at least be mutually supereffective.

Junahu

Azurill was a Normal pokemon in an evolutionary line of Water pokemon.
Then Gen 6 happened and they had the good sense to change its typing....
.... by tacking on Fairy.

In-game, I'm always stumbling over myself when I encounter Chimecho and assume it's a Psychic/Steel type. It's that metallic 'ching' cry that throws me off.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Gyarados is water flying because of its lore.

Its based on the japanese folktale where a koi carp (Magikarp) is strong enough to swim up waterfalls to a dragon gate (I think) It will transform into a flying dragon.

dragonkoi.jpg

This is a cool reference and all, but Gyarados can't actually fly or use any flying moves. The fact the story it is loosely based on features a flying dragon is meaningless at the point Gyarados can't fly. I mean, if the flying dragon backstory is so important, why is Gyarados not Dragon/Flying to begin with? Really, it was a pretty blatant mis-typing, Gen 1 has a lot of them.

I always thought Giraffarig should be half Dark type though. I mean look at it's butt. And it knows Crunch. Please give me STAB for Crunch. At least we finally got psychic/dark through Inkay's line.

I think you're misinterpreting what Girafarig's design is meant to be. It's not a light/dark contrast, it's a normal/weird contrast. The front half is a mostly normal animal-like Pokemon, and the back half with the sentient tail gives away that it's got something else going on.

Besides, Normal/X typings are great. Glad we've been getting more of those lately.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm sure this has been said but screw the Fairy Type retconning. Nerfing dragon was a laudable goal but I really don't agree with any other aspect of how Fairy was handled and I don't think Dark type needed another weakness either. They could at least be mutually supereffective.

Agreed, Bug type also got screwed as fairy resist them... for some reason.

Azurill being Normal/Fairy fits as its an odd little Pokémon that not only changes typing but also gender upon evolving.

Boss Doggie

In-game, I'm always stumbling over myself when I encounter Chimecho and assume it's a Psychic/Steel type. It's that metallic 'ching' cry that throws me off.

Azurill is a moon rabbit.

Mush

No the Peng thing is something bulbapedia spread which is false.

Like I said, it being closely related to the Draco constellation and being linked to the Blue Bird of Happiness is the key to the typing.
So how many of those origin stories on Bulbapedia are actually true? Because I've always been fascinated by them.

Boss Doggie

So how many of those origin stories on Bulbapedia are actually true? Because I've always been fascinated by them.

Depends. But that site is outdated as hell and some misinformation (i.e. Hawlucha's gender in the anime).

Blissey and Chancey.

How Azumarill looks more like a fairy than those two is beyond me.

Like I said, moon rabbit.

Boss Doggie

I know, right? Where's my plague doctor Pokemon, Game Freak?

It is still a plague doctor. It still has the medical/support stuff plus being related to aromas. I never understood why people insist in part Poison - they're doctors! Medieval era sure but they do not harm even then. It's as dumb as Luxray being part Dark because it has dark fur.

It is a plague doctor PLUS a can can dancer pun! (Pink Flamingos)

See the semblance?

It is still a plague doctor. It still has the medical/support stuff plus being related to aromas. I never understood why people insist in part Poison - they're doctors! Medieval era sure but they do not harm even then. It's as dumb as Luxray being part Dark because it has dark fur.

That's because of the attractiveness of the typing. It trades 2x Poison weakness for 2x Psychic weakness and 2x Ground weakness. But you also get 2x resistance to Grass & Fairy as well as 4x resistance to Bug & Fighting.

Boss Doggie

That's because of the attractiveness of the typing. It trades 2x Poison weakness for 2x Psychic weakness and 2x Ground weakness. But you also get 2x resistance to Grass & Fairy as well as 4x resistance to Bug & Fighting.

But let's save it for another mon, not Aromatisse. I honestly can't think of a fairy motif fitting in that.

We need an offensive variant of Steel/Fairy, but then again Steel/Fairy is essentially THE best defensive combo and Klefki is enjoying it.

PK Gaming

Wait, are people seriously miffed over Gengar being part Poison? The Poison sub-typing is like... more important than ever, haha. It givesGengart a resistance to Fairy (which is a big, big, big deal) and the ability to murder Fairy-types with Sludge Wave, along with a resistance to Grass and a quadruple resistance to Poison and Bug (the latter of which made it handy at taking powerful U-turns in a pinch). The only downside to having that poison subtyping is a weakness to Psychic, which... doesn''t even matter in practice. Gengar destroys most Psychic-types, and would have ordinarily lost to faster Psychic-types anyway (since they almost always carry Shadow Ball).

Ghost / Dark Gengar would be way, way, way worse.

Top Bottom