• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon that are the wrong type

I have this theory that the "rock" type in fossil Pokemon is a side effect of resurrecting them.

Like Aerodactyl in ancient times was Flying/Dragon, but when he was rebord, he lost his Dragon type and it was replaced with Rock as a side effect of the process.

Aerodactyl - Dragon/Flying
Kabuto - Bug/Water
Omanyte - Water
Lileep - Grass/Water
Anorith - Bug/Water
Cranidos - Normal
Sheildon - Steel
Tirtouga - Water
Archen - Normal/Flying
Tyrunt - Dragon
Amaura - Ice/Fairy

It's heavily implied on the official site for XY that Mega Aerodactyl was what it was like before it became extinct.

http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/mega_pokemon/
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/xy/pokemon/mega/19.html Japanese site as well so it wasn't something that the US site made up.

RAWi

Why are these not Fairy.

Why is this not Electric / Fire / Flying / Dragon / Cute?

image.php

PK Gaming

I'm still salty about Gyarados getting shafted with the typing of its mega. Either make it Water/Dragon (and balance it out by giving it fewer stat gains or something) or make it pure Water. Dark type isn't even that great in gen 6 with Fairy types running around everywhere.

Why do you have to troll Gyarados fans like this, Game Freak :(

The Dark sub typing lets it break through Rotom-W and Ferrothorn, 2 of its biggest would be counters. Dragon wouldn't have done much for it.

Dark type is pretty great in Gen VI, doubly so because Dark + Water is provides nearly flawless coverage.

This is beautiful and poetic. Does their order in the pokedex also confirm this?

Also GG dude, I said Ghost/Rock right above you :p

By the way, I didn't actually deduce that, it came from Bulbapedia's entries on the three.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Raikou_(Pokémon)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Entei_(Pokémon)
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Suicune_(Pokémon)

Also, I guess it was actually the Brass Tower that burned. Woops.

I was about to say Cofagrigus' Rock weakness to Grass would be neutralized by its Ghost typing, but then I double checked and Grass is neutral to Ghost. Weird, I thought Ghost resisted Grass. Maybe that's because in Gen 1 all three Ghosts were part Poison, which does resist Grass, like how people start off thinking Rock is immune to Electric because it was so often paired with Ground.

JttjpdX.png

How is this not a dragon.
Sea monster. Dark/Water makes sense to me.

Zygarde being Dragon bugs me but it's probably connected to its origin. Just disappointed since when I saw it I thought we finally got a Poison legendary then I noticed its moveset and caught it...

These two

367.png
368.png

I always felt they'd be fitting as Water/Dark and Water/Psychic respectively. Seems Creatures Inc. agree with me as in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia they were given Dark and Psychic type assists, the only Pokémon with assists that didn't match their type.

Triple type Pokémon sort of exist now. I even made a competitive video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-LxIYygfd4

Charizard is Dragon
charizardx.png

Just wanna say I'm a huge fan of your site bruh.

Somnid

Flying/Normal - Should just be flying in most cases
Lots of Pokemon should have been retcon'd as fairy

Also for this thread:

Dinosaur =/= Dragon

Xiraiya

He lives in the ocean and is known as the guardian of the seas. You catch him in the Whirl Islands, a place known for, you guessed it, whirlpools. And what type is he? Psychic/Flying. Huh? He should obviously be Water or Water/Flying. In the original games, he learned ONE psychic move... at level 99. He learned two water moves and hell, even a ROCK move before he finally got a psychic one. By Gen VI he actually learns three psychic moves, but you can tell that was just tacked on to validate making him Psychic/Flying.

Lugia is part psychic because he can speak to people telepathically like Mewtwo, the idea behind him is he uses psychic powers to keep the 3 birds in check, he's bird Mewtwo basically. The fact he lives in the deep sea is just where he happens to reside, nothing ever actually says he needs water or anything.

They should have given him a better moveset for his Psychic typing though I agree.
They could have gone either way, but there is in fact a reason for it.

He should have been Psychic/Water, but because he's a huge bird, that would have been even more annoying.

V-Faction

Look.

No two-ways around it, Pure types are boring. The interesting part is getting combinations that interact with each other in unique ways.

In the past, some Pokemon would be given special/unique/exclusive moves to offset them a bit from their fellows. Nowadays, with formes, abilities, and megas, you can add some variety without relying solely on typing.

"This Pokemon looks like _______ so it should be _____-type" isn't always a good solution. Thematic inspiration and folklore play a part, too. But I will say, sometimes GF drops the ball, and we get YEARS and years of waiting to fix these mistakes.

Mr-Joker

Banned
POP QUIZ!

What type is this pokemon?

1dhieMQ.png

Is it:
A) Bug
B) Poison
C) Dark
D) Fuck you, none of the above

The correct answer is
D. This pokemon with a scorpion tail and poison attacks that only evolves at night is neither Bug, Poison or Dark. Gliscor is in fact, Flying and Ground.

...what the hell?

Gliscor is awesome due to its Flying/Ground typing, I loved mine in my Platinum team.

Ice / everything is a nightmare.

Ice really really needs a buff.

Ice is seriously the worst type in the game's history. It's amazing how adding Ice to any Pokemon type will make that Pokemon worse.

Hell, Gamefreak even has the Ice gym leader in X and Y talk about how much Ice type Pokemon suck.

Ouch, that burn.

Guessing a lot don't know that Gyarados is Water/Flying for a very similar reason that Mantine is.

Yep, like I said before people need to take into account of what the Pokémon is based on as their typing is based on that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
to be fair, Suicune is water type because of its name :p

with that said I remember people saying Suicune was ice type back in Pokken threads lol

Crayolan

ITT people think every pink and/or cute pokemon must be fairy. I always thought it should be reserved for magical/mystical creatures, pokemon actually based on fairies, and weird, monstrous designs which don't really fit anywhere else.

Pumpkaboo. Clearly shoulda been Pumpkin / Boo.

I know you're joking but this is actually a pretty big one for me. Pumpkaboo should've been Grass/Fire with Ghost moves instead of Grass/Ghost with Fire moves. It seems like such a wasted opportunity considering we already got a Grass/Ghost this gen and making a grass/fire pokemon work isn't exactly easy.

Guessing a lot don't know that Gyarados is Water/Flying for a very similar reason that Mantine is.

I thought Magikarp/Gyarados were based on a folktale where a fish climbed a waterfall and became a dragon? Or something like that.

Plus you know, dragon trainers using it since gen 1.

Boss Doggie

Well to be fair, Pumpkaboo line doesn't have jack-o-lantern stuff despite being based on a pumpkin. They're more based on psychopomps and Gourgeist in particular looks like Sadako (to which I'm surprised no people made a connection with).

I thought Magikarp/Gyarados were based on a folktale where a fish climbed a waterfall and became a dragon? Or something like that.

Plus you know, dragon trainers using it since gen 1.
Yeah, but its design is more inspired by koinobori, considering it retains carp features and well, the flying typing.

I don't really think dragon trainers using it mean anything unless you think Pterodactyls are dragons. :p

I like that Gen V implemented a lot of more unusual type combos, and that continued to Gen VI

I remember reading all the pre-release stuff for Gen V and being SUPER into those new type combos they had going. It's what contributes heavily to Gen V being my favorite or second favorite generation

bug-electric I loved right off the bat, for no other reason than it was unique and new

JoeM86

I remember reading all the pre-release stuff for Gen V and being SUPER into those new type combos they had going. It's what contributes heavily to Gen V being my favorite or second favorite generation

bug-electric I loved right off the bat, for no other reason than it was unique and new

I have a competitive Galvantula and it is awesome. Gen V really made Bug-types usable again.

Tal

There are quite a few pokemon whose designs suggest more than two types. Gamefreak flirted with the idea in gen 6, so I wonder if they'll eventually formally introduce triple types.

My favorite bugs came from Gen V and I'm thankful for it.
You forgot the best one!
TrDvfsX.png

Blastoise needs a second type to fit in with Venu and John "Charizard" Cena.
I'm kinda lost on what would work as a second typing for Blastoise while fitting with its stats. Was thinking steel (which didn't exist in gen 1) considering the tank characteristics and stats but Empoleon kinda makes it redundant and Game Freak just stuck with pure water when they had the opportunity with its mega.

Crayolan

Yeah, but its design is more inspired by koinobori, considering it retains carp features and well, the flying typing.

I don't really think dragon trainers using it mean anything unless you think Pterodactyls are dragons. :p

Well there are quite a few Aerodactyl->Dragon suggestions in this thread.

I love Gen V's typings but man did Golurk being Ghost/Ground disappoint me. I had wanted a Ghost/Steel for the longest time and when I first saw the design I thought it had to be that. When I learned it was Ground instead of Steel I was so pissed.

Thankfully ghost sword saved the day and turned out even more awesome.

Tal

Ice seems designed like a glass cannon, good offensive strengths and bad defensI've weaknesses. That's fine in and of itself, but most ice type pokemon don't have the stats to take advantage of that role, particularly in speed. Gamefreak keeps trying to make slow, bulky ice types for some reason.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Ice seems designed like a glass cannon, good offensive strengths and bad defensI've weaknesses. That's fine in and of itself, but most ice type pokemon don't have the stats to take advantage of that role, particularly in speed. Gamefreak keeps trying to make slow, bulky ice types for some reason.
I wonder if its possible they forgot their original goal with ice type

They need to retcon the whole normal/flying thing.

Make them pure flying type.

Even better, change flying type to bird type, and make a separate 'wind' typing for those that need it.

Hell, some birds could become flying/wind, like the Pidgey line that are always shown making whirlwinds and stuff.

Azure J

The Wismur-Loudred-Exploud lineage and to a lesser extent the Magnemite-Magneton-Magnezone lines all make me wonder why there still isn't an (official) sound type yet. Most of my other reservations (Gligar line) have already been brought up in this thread.

Edit: Actually, on a related note to Gligar, the Skorupi - Drapion line to this day still catches me off guard. It's a giant purple scorpion that has no bug unto itself despite its pre-evolution having a bug typing.

Boss Doggie

Don't forget about water types being able to access good ice type moves

The Wismur-Loudred-Exploud lineage and to a lesser extent the Magnemite-Magneton-Magnezone lines all make me wonder why there still isn't an (official) sound type yet. Most of my other reservations (Gligar line) have already been brought up in this thread.

Edit: Actually, on a related note to Gligar, the Skorupi - Drapion line to this day still catches me off guard. It's a giant purple scorpion that has no bug unto itself despite its pre-evolution having a bug typing.

it's more to do with sound being a "property" of attack (see: contact). That's why you got stuff like Bug Buzz.

Him not being a grass type like you would expect is the entire point.

It's even in the name!

pseudo wood

Fb9nVhy.png

Shadow the poke...

I mean luxray , where the dark type at

say its name. Then you will get it

"Oh"

And that's where the name comes from
I dont care I was child! That was a evil trick in G/S

Realtalk my mind just got blown lol

Yrael

I'd welcome a complete overhaul of Pokemon at this point - to have a game that just says "to hell with previous conventions" and retcons type effectiveness, move pools, abilities, etc.

I'd welcome a complete overhaul of Pokemon at this point - to have a game that just says "to hell with previous conventions" and retcons type effectiveness, move pools, abilities, etc.

I'm ok with this.

Ice no longer weak to fighting.
Water now strong against electric.
Fire strong against fairy.
Retyping's out the ass.

Hire me Game Freak.

Syntsui

I'm part of the train that thinks the flying type should be abolished. Sooooo many Pokémons that should "fly" but needs to have the levitate ability or doesn't have anything at all.

Preach. There needs to be a revolution in terms of mechanics, fairy type is not enough. We have way to many inconsistencies in terms of typing, movepool and stats at the moment.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm ok with this.

Ice no longer weak to fighting.
Water now strong against electric.
Fire strong against fairy.
Retyping's out the ass.

Hire me Game Freak.

You could make a case for types like fairy because it's fictional and there's no real basis for what works and what doesn't, but water conducts electricity and lots of electricity hurts, so it's one of the basic type match ups that makes sense (like fire melting ice and ground being immune to electricity).

Top Bottom