• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon that are the wrong type

NoKisum

250px-006Charizard.png

Has a Pokémon ever wildly change types completely after evolution?

Griss

The only ones I really wish would change are some of the gen 1 ones mentioned. As I feel like quite a few were mistyped (Charizard, Gyrados, Gengar etc) due to game balance reasons surrounding dual-typing that just aren't a huge issue nowadays. For the rest of them post-gen 1, some of them might be very strange but I accept that Game Freak had their reasons.

Charizard used to bother me the most (As a child, I was promised a dragon by the box art. Where are my dragons?!) but now Lugia does. Anything but psychic / flying would make sense.

Some of them really do throw me while I'm playing the game. Every time I see Milotic, I think 'Damn, why can't I remember its second type?' Every time. It just amazes me it doesn't have one. I'd accept Water / Fairy at this point.

I dunno, I think a Pokemon's type always being tied to their habitat is sort of boring. Lugia lives under the sea, sure, but that doesn't mean he HAS to be a water type.

I think there's a bunch of Pokemon that should be Fairy at this point. Jirachi sticks out as the main one. edit: And definitely Cresselia.

Rafavert

I dunno, I think a Pokemon's type always being tied to their habitat is sort of boring. Lugia lives under the sea, sure, but that doesn't mean he HAS to be a water type.

I think there's a bunch of Pokemon that should be Fairy at this point. Jirachi sticks out as the main one. edit: And definitely Cresselia.

I think Lugia's problem isn't necessarily that it SHOULD be a water type, but rather that it has no reason to be a psychic one.

Spacejaws

Gengar has always annoyed me.

Seriously gimped the only Ghost pokemon chain in Gen 1.

Lugia pissed me off too. Ho-Oh - Fire/Flying it made sense to me the Lugia would either be Water/Flying or Water/Dragon just for the uniformity between the two legendaries along with the appearance, locale and general portrayal in the game/anime.

I always gathered they must have changed it to avoid one legendary having an advantage over the other but having it psychic is a bit random.

Qurupeke

Gyarados is the prime example. It just came out at the wrong time, when Dragons were a rarity. It deserved to be a dragon more than the Dratini family though.

While Charizard not being a Dragon-type despite being literally a dragon is fairly bad, his actual Fire/Flying typing still makes a lot of sense for the design and moveset, so it's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Gyarados will always and forever be the worst one, because he's also a literal dragon who got stuck with Flying instead, yet he can't even learn Fly. Or any Flying move other than Bounce for that matter, the "Fly" alternative literally designed for non-Flying-type Pokémon. And ONLY through a move tutor. What the fuck.

That Water/Flying typing just serves to fuck it over against Electric types.

Spacejaws

LOL, it's been OU from gen I and is currently among the top 5 best Pokémon in the entire game.

I think my anger is directed at it being the only ghost pokemon in Gen 1 and I loved it but damn I spent ages training one after a friend told me as a kid ghost was the best type against psychic only to find it got its bumbaclot handed to it by psychics.

It's a deep seated resentment that only a trained proffesional can help me with.

A lot of the Gen 1 oddities are because of the extremely limited move pool.

Gyrados as Water/Dragon for example, would have had no weaknesses as there was only one Dragon move, Dragon Rage, and it had a set damage value that ignores weakness.

A bit less so with Charizard, because Rock Slide existed, and Golem and Rhydon were decent Pokemon, but a Fire/Flying starter would be much better than the other two.

However, one Pokemon from Gen 1 always bothered me. Blastoise should have been changed to Water/Steel when Gen 2 came out. It bothers me that Venusaur and Charizard are dual types, but Blastoise is not.

I think my anger is directed at it being the only ghost pokemon in Gen 1 and I loved it but damn I spent ages training one after a friend told me as a kid ghost was the best type against psychic only to find it got its bumbaclot handed to it by psychics.

It's a deep seated resentment that only a trained proffesional can help me with.

Everything was destroyed by Psychics in Gen 1. Specifically Alakazam, who is hilariously overpowered. And that's not even mentioning Mewtwo. Gen 1 Mewtwo was probably the strongest Pokemon the series has ever had until Gamefreak got high on some wack stuff and invented Mega Rayquaza.

Gyrados as Water/Dragon for example, would have had no weaknesses as there was only one Dragon move, Dragon Rage, and it had a set damage value that ignores weakness.

A bit less so with Charizard, because Rock Slide existed

If Charizard had been Fire/Dragon in gen I it wouldn't just have been weak to Rock but also to Ground attacks like Earthquake, since abilities didn't exist yet so they couldn't have given it Levitate for example.

Most of these weird typing issues wouldn't be a thing if flying wasn't a type and was more of a flag on a Pokemon. Basically any Pokemon that can fly is flagged as being a flying Pokemon will get all the pros and cons of being a flying type Pokemon whilst still having any 2 types they could have.

I once read that the dark type in Japan represents fighting dirty (think about the moves...sucker punch, crunch, bite, pursuit, beat up) and not necessarily evil. Part of why fighting beats dark is because it's meant to represent that fighting with honor will defeat those that fight dirty. So in that context the appearance of "evil" does not amount to dark. Might also be why we will never get a light type lol....though something like sound would be pretty neat.

Anyway, I do wonder why the Goodra line isn't part poison...would make me actually use it too.

I once read that the dark type in Japan represents fighting dirty (think about the moves...sucker punch, crunch, bite, pursuit, beat up) and not necessarily evil. Part of why fighting beats dark is because it's meant to represent that fighting with honor will defeat those that fight dirty. So in that context the appearance of "evil" does not amount to dark. Might also be why we will never get a light type lol....though something like sound would be pretty neat.

Dark is literally called the Evil type in Japan

240px-698Amaura.png
240px-699Aurorus.png

This is probably the one line where they really should have broken the "fossil Pokemon = rock type lol" trend. Aside from Rock/Ice being a horrific combination that kills its competitive potential most of the time, it doesn't even make sense. They really should be Ice/Steel instead.

This is probably the one line where they really should have broken the "fossil Pokemon = rock type lol" trend. Aside from Rock/Ice being a horrific combination that kills its competitive potential most of the time, it doesn't even make sense. They really should be Ice/Steel instead.

I have this theory that the "rock" type in fossil Pokemon is a side effect of resurrecting them.

Like Aerodactyl in ancient times was Flying/Dragon, but when he was rebord, he lost his Dragon type and it was replaced with Rock as a side effect of the process.

Aerodactyl - Dragon/Flying
Kabuto - Bug/Water
Omanyte - Water
Lileep - Grass/Water
Anorith - Bug/Water
Cranidos - Normal
Sheildon - Steel
Tirtouga - Water
Archen - Normal/Flying
Tyrunt - Dragon
Amaura - Ice/Fairy

Ice/Steel is still horrible, 4x weak to both Fighting and Fire

But then you get nine resistances as a trade-off, and only one regular weakness. It's a huge improvement over Rock/Ice, at least.

I have this theory that the "rock" type in fossil Pokemon is a side effect of resurrecting them.

Like Aerodactyl in ancient times was Flying/Dragon, but when he was rebord, he lost his Dragon type and it was replaced with Rock as a side effect of the process.

Aerodactyl - Dragon/Flying
Kabuto - Bug/Water
Omanyte - Water
Lileep - Grass/Water
Anorith - Bug/Water
Cranidos - Normal
Sheildon - Steel
Tirtouga - Water
Archen - Normal/Flying
Tyrunt - Dragon
Amaura - Ice/Fairy

Eh, still seems like a major cop-out to me.

But then you get nine resistances as a trade-off, and only one regular weakness. It's a huge improvement over Rock/Ice, at least.

Rock/Ice sucks defensively but it's really good offensive typing. Almost half the pokemon in existence are weak to this combo.

It just too bad they didn't balance Aurorus's stats to take advantage of it's offensive typing.

Gyrados typing is actually really good, though. It loses a weakness, gains a resistance, and gains an immunity on top of Water being one of the better defensive types. Even if it gains a 4X weakness. Mega Gyrados, though, loses all of those and gains one of the WORST defensive typings. Why

Flygon is Ground because they were already numerous Dragon/ Flying (Dragonite, then both Salamence and Altaria had that typing and were introduced the same gen as Flygon). Since it has the Levitate ability, it seems like they were going for a pseudo triple-type Pokemon.

Why do they keep making defensive based Pokemon that are Rock/Steel?

That is some garbage defensive typing right there.

Because obviously the most prominent offensive Pokemon are Normal and Ice types, right? RIGHT?

Rafavert

Gyrados typing is actually really good, though. It loses a weakness, gains a resistance, and gains an immunity on top of Water being one of the better defensive types. Even if it gains a 4X weakness. Mega Gyrados, though, loses all of those and gains one of the WORST defensive typings. Why

To gain one of the best offensive typings =p

Always thought it was weird Psyduck & Golduck are just plain Water pokemon who learn a few psychic moves & not Water/Psychic. And that the whole Slowpoke line is Water/Psychic instead.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
say its name. Then you will get it

"Sue-Do-Woo-Do? Super User Direct Order, Would Do? WTF."

Any other pronunciation of it is wrong.

Nottle said:
Charizard for balance reasons: can't be a starter and dragon.

Which is stupid as hell.

Top Bottom