• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon that are the wrong type

Syril

aren't Dinosaurs considered Dragons in japan?
The word for dinosaur in Japanese is 恐竜 (kyouryuu, or "scary dragon" roughly, I think). A lot of the weird properties of things in Pokemon make more sense in light of various Japanese names and cultural references.

Vex_

Banned
Yuxie__Emurit_and_Agnome_by_pokesafari.png

Lol? Why is he looking like that?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Someone should post Simipour's eyes lol

I'm part of the train that thinks the flying type should be abolished. Sooooo many Pokémons that should "fly" but needs to have the levitate ability or doesn't have anything at all.

Preach. There needs to be a revolution in terms of mechanics, fairy type is not enough. We have way to many inconsistencies in terms of typing, movepool and stats at the moment.

GF does retcon mons though. Problem is it's only once in a blue moon.

Also Flying is essentially "wind" type.

I was about to say Cofagrigus' Rock weakness to Grass would be neutralized by its Ghost typing, but then I double checked and Grass is neutral to Ghost. Weird, I thought Ghost resisted Grass. Maybe that's because in Gen 1 all three Ghosts were part Poison, which does resist Grass, like how people start off thinking Rock is immune to Electric because it was so often paired with Ground.

Gen 1 was... poisonous in terms of type coverage awareness, I must admit. :(

TomShoe

Banned
Ice seems designed like a glass cannon, good offensive strengths and bad defensI've weaknesses. That's fine in and of itself, but most ice type pokemon don't have the stats to take advantage of that role, particularly in speed. Gamefreak keeps trying to make slow, bulky ice types for some reason.

At least we all have Weavile now.

Defenses are frail, but tons of STAB and priority moves? Yes please.

It seems like such a wasted opportunity considering we already got a Grass/Ghost this gen and making a grass/fire pokemon work isn't exactly easy.

Thinking about it, that type combo would be pretty powerful, no?

Water is neutralized. Ground is neutralized. Ice is neutralized (lol). Rock would deal SE damage but since it's part Grass it could just use Energy Ball. Bug is neutralized... Flying and Poison are its only legitimate weaknesses? That's no pre-Gen 6 Dark/Ghost or Electric+Levitate, but damn.

Also I just remembered something... didn't ice used to deal neutral damage to fire?

EDIT: Also, implying Weavile is even considered an Ice-Type competitively. We all know it's more of a Dark-Type rep. :p

Rafavert

For the people who are defending the Bird/Flying separation, how would you differentiate the two? Mind you, I think it'd be interesting, but chances are they were all mixed (there's traces of a Bird type in RBY [looking at you, Missingno.]) due to difficulty in making them different enough.

TomShoe

Banned
For the people who are defending the Bird/Flying separation, how would you differentiate the two? Mind you, I think it'd be interesting, but chances are they were all mixed (there's traces of a Bird type in RBY [looking at you, Missingno.]) due to difficulty in making them different enough.

Meh. Not enough birds in game to justify giving them a whole 'nother type.

Rafavert

Meh. Not enough birds in game to justify giving them a whole 'nother type.

I dont think they're that few.

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot
Spearrow/Fearrow
Farfetch'd
Doduo/Dodrio
Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres
Hoothoot/Noctowl
Togetic/Togekiss(?)
Natu/Xatu
Murkrow/Honchkrow
Delibird
Skarmory
Lugia/Ho-oh
Taillow/Swellow
Wingull/Pelipper
Swablu/Altaria
Starly/Staravia/Staraptor
Chatot
Pidove/Tranquil/Unfezant
Sigilyph(?)
Archen/Archeops
Ducklett/Swanna
Rufflet/Braviary
Vullaby/Mandibuzz
Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame
Hawlucha
Yveltal

If anything, it's the "Wind/Flying" Type that has less members:

Charizard
Butterfree
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat
Scyther
Mega Pinsir
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Dragonite
Ledyba/Ledian
Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
Yanma/Yanmega
Gligar/Gliscor
Mantine/Mantyke
Beautifly
Masquerain
Ninjask
Tropius
Salamence
Rayquaza
Mothim
Combee/Vespiqueen
Drifloon/Drifblim
RotomF
Shaymin Sky
Arceus
Woobat/Swoobat
Tornados/Thundurus/Landorus
Vivillon
Noibat/Noivern

That's 49 vs 42. Not so bad, actually...

Yrael

I dont think they're that few.

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot
Spearrow/Fearrow
Farfetch'd
Doduo/Dodrio
Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres
Hoothoot/Noctowl
Togetic/Togekiss(?)
Natu/Xatu
Murkrow/Honchkrow
Delibird
Skarmory
Lugia/Ho-oh
Taillow/Swellow
Wingull/Pelipper
Swablu/Altaria
Starly/Staravia/Staraptor
Chatot
Pidove/Tranquil/Unfezant
Sigilyph(?)
Archen/Archeops
Ducklett/Swanna
Rufflet/Braviary
Vullaby/Mandibuzz
Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame
Hawlucha
Yveltal

If anything, it's the "Wind/Flying" Type that has less members:

Charizard
Butterfree
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat
Scyther
Mega Pinsir
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Dragonite
Ledyba/Ledian
Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff
Yanma/Yanmega
Gligar/Gliscor
Mantine/Mantyke
Beautifly
Masquerain
Ninjask
Tropius
Salamence
Rayquaza
Mothim
Combee/Vespiqueen
Drifloon/Drifblim
RotomF
Shaymin Sky
Arceus
Woobat/Swoobat
Tornados/Thundurus/Landorus
Vivillon
Noibat/Noivern

That's 49 vs 42. Not so bad, actually...

You could potentially add Blaziken and Empoleon (and their pre-evos) to the Bird type section...that's getting into "Triple Type" territory though.

Rafavert

You could potentially add Blaziken and Empoleon (and their pre-evos) to the Bird type section...that's getting into "Triple Type" territory though.

True. You could have Torchic/Piplup/Prinplup be part Bird and lose said type when evolving.

Dryk

I'd welcome a complete overhaul of Pokemon at this point - to have a game that just says "to hell with previous conventions" and retcons type effectiveness, move pools, abilities, etc.
I think a number of evolutions and babies are the most in need of a retcon. I don't know what possessed GameFreak to prize continuity over user friendliness in that regard.

Goomy feels like it should be a dual type but I don't know what.
When the leakers first encountered Goomy the GAF thread assumed it was going to evolve to be Dragon/Poison because it's based on a poisonous animal

Boss Doggie

Altaria is based on a Peng a mythical bird like creature that is often portrayed having cloud like wings, dragon head and whiskers.

Altaria is the right typing.

No the Peng thing is something bulbapedia spread which is false.

Like I said, it being closely related to the Draco constellation and being linked to the Blue Bird of Happiness is the key to the typing.

Raven77

I always felt like Phanphy should be part normal

And with this scene from the anime
tumblr_inline_ms5pz8Wn481qz4rgp.gif

I feel Dunsparce should part flying or something now

What show / movie is that from?

I really used to like the original Pokemon show. Any recommendations? I only ever saw Season 1-2 of the original I think.

Nightbird

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the Gen 1 oddities are because of the extremely limited move pool.

Gyrados as Water/Dragon for example, would have had no weaknesses as there was only one Dragon move, Dragon Rage, and it had a set damage value that ignores weakness.

A bit less so with Charizard, because Rock Slide existed, and Golem and Rhydon were decent Pokemon, but a Fire/Flying starter would be much better than the other two.

However, one Pokemon from Gen 1 always bothered me. Blastoise should have been changed to Water/Steel when Gen 2 came out. It bothers me that Venusaur and Charizard are dual types, but Blastoise is not.

Everything was destroyed by Psychics in Gen 1. Specifically Alakazam, who is hilariously overpowered. And that's not even mentioning Mewtwo. Gen 1 Mewtwo was probably the strongest Pokemon the series has ever had until Gamefreak got high on some wack stuff and invented Mega Rayquaza.

Comparatively, Gen 1 Mewtwo > M-Ray. It had a single weakness, Bug-type, and outsped and could OHKO every Bug-type in Gen 1. The only serious strategy for taking out Mewtwo was to get a Chansey and use Blizzard repeatedly and pray like fuck you got a freeze and that your opponent wasn't running a Submission Mewtwo just to fuck with you, or accept you were going to lose a Pokemon and just sacrifice something to paralyse Mewtwo and bring in a tanky physical attacker. Gen 1 Mewtwo guaranteed your opponent lost one Pokemon and probably two.

Gengar.

My favorite Pokemon but too many weaknesses to play it because its a poison type. They should just re-type it as Ghost/Dark, considering its a Shadow Pokemon.

Boss Doggie

I find it funny though that Arceus still dominates MegaRayRay

Gengar.

My favorite Pokemon but too many weaknesses to play it because its a poison type. They should just re-type him as Ghost/Dark, considering its a Shadow Pokemon.

wut

Gengar's like one of the few Gen 1 mon that never suffered a power creep and in fact got so many goodies each gen

http://i.imgur.com/6zJL1kL.gif[img][/QUOTE]

:lol, perfect gif usage!

[quote="Rainbowgun, post: 170966312"][URL="http://pokemonxandpokemony.com/?p=4142"]It was supposed to be Water/Electric at first [/URL] (Lot's of intresting other Tibids about Gen 5 Pokémon in the Link)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, lots of cool stuff at the link.
I'm always fascinated with Pokemon design inspirations :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Gengar.

My favorite Pokemon but too many weaknesses to play it because its a poison type. They should just re-type it as Ghost/Dark, considering its a Shadow Pokemon.

Ghost/Dark Gengar would be pretty damn powerful. Barely any weakness, and a much, much better STAB (including on Pursuit). Gengar as pure Ghost would have been better - and this one is particularly annoying as this should have been the case since Gen 1 given Ghosts were supposed to be Psychic counters.

Going by the original 2 games, which were the only ones I cared about

Charizard -> Fire/Dragon instead of Flying

Gyarados -> Water/Dragon instead of Flying

Lapras -> Ice/Dragon or Water/Dragon instead of Water/Ice

Venonat/Venomoth -> Bug/Psychic or Poison/Psychic

Psyduck or Golduck -> Water/Psychic

Lugia -> Water/Psychic or Water/Flying instead of Psychic/Flying

Best wishes.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It was supposed to be Water/Electric at first (Lot's of intresting other Tibids about Gen 5 Pokémon in the Link)

I knew it!! Stunfisk ground typing always felt odd.

Still an awesome Pokémon, though I wish that it had Water absorb for its ability would have been miles better than Limber, which is freaking useless in gen 6.

So, like most GEN5 pokémons it was supposed to be a bad copy of an already existing pokémon, Lanturn in this case

Ha ha nope, Stunfisk is awesome it's bulky as hell.

Syntsui

Comparatively, Gen 1 Mewtwo > M-Ray. It had a single weakness, Bug-type, and outsped and could OHKO every Bug-type in Gen 1. The only serious strategy for taking out Mewtwo was to get a Chansey and use Blizzard repeatedly and pray like fuck you got a freeze and that your opponent wasn't running a Submission Mewtwo just to fuck with you, or accept you were going to lose a Pokemon and just sacrifice something to paralyse Mewtwo and bring in a tanky physical attacker. Gen 1 Mewtwo guaranteed your opponent lost one Pokemon and probably two.
Don't forget gen 2-3 Wobbufett.

Oswen

I feel like Mega Blastoise deserved a secondary type, probably Steel to go with the tank motif and because he actually has multiple steel cannons on him, he also clearly deserved stab on Flash Cannon.

But alas it's pretty clear GF doesn't care much about the old turtle.

The word for dinosaur in Japanese is 恐竜 (kyouryuu, or "scary dragon" roughly, I think). A lot of the weird properties of things in Pokemon make more sense in light of various Japanese names and cultural references.

Heh, that reminds me of the fact in the anime Iris has an Excadrill because it has "ryuu" in its Japanese name (Doryuuzu). But yeah, seeing as how we have a few dinosaur Pokemon as dragons that makes sense.

Boss Doggie

And in egg groups, Dragon egg refers to any reptilian-type Pokemon except for Flygon and Noivern for some odd reason.

Top Bottom