• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

takriel

Wow really lots of bad news for the Switch recently huh .. is it a sign of something?

• Port of a Wii U Pokemon game that no one s keen on
  • 3DS game instead of a Switch one (what is Nintendo thinking)
  • No complete version of Fifa 18
  • Nintendo still focused on 3DS instead of Switch (Direct had little to explore on the Switch)
LOL you're really trying (and reaching) there, heh.

Caayn

Anyone surprised by this is an idiot, it's the same strategy Nintendo had done all along. Remember people, pokemon emerald came out on GBC after GBA was already out and Black2/white2 came out on DS after 3DS was out already. I don't understand how anyone can forget this.
Except all those games were playable on the new system as well. That's not the case here.

HvySky

Wow really lots of bad news for the Switch recently huh .. is it a sign of something?

• Nintendo still focused on 3DS instead of Switch (Direct had little to explore on the Switch)

Quality joke post.

888eddyx

Ok, I don't know what people expected. Obviously less Thacker a year after Sun and Moon's release they wouldn't already have something ready to show on Switch. Just think of how BW 2 released on DS over a year after the 3DS released. This was because they were working in XY behind the scenes, but needed something to put out in the mean time. This is a similar situation where while they're making a game for Switch, they're quickly throwing together amother game on the Sun/Moon engine to hold us over until then.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
They could release on both Switch + 3DS.

Nah. Any of the 3DS Pokemon games would look like garbage at 1080p and it's not worth the time, effort, and money for Game Freak to rebuild the game from the ground up at this point in time for the Switch.

The best thing is for them to start working on the next generation of Pokemon for the Switch, which they're more than likely doing at this point.

Quality joke post.

Now the 'Switch isn't a 3DS successor' crowd is going to feel emboldened

I wonder if they'll still be going on about that this time next year when 3DS isn't getting games anymore

I mean they're the kind of people to take a late Pokemon release of all things as proof of their theory so who knows with them

I don't see any reason why they would show Ultra Sun and Moon for 3DS and just "not mention" a Switch version. The games are likely 3DS exclusive

DBpMxYZUQAEfLg6.png

DBpM1e7UAAA9fTS.png

Wait, I thought this was Pokemon, not Digimon?

GunBR

Some people talking about Black and White 2
But at least you could play B&W 2 on a 3DS

That's not the case with Ultra Sun and Moon

Pokégaf right now (myself included, I suppose):

giphy.gif

Ah well; good for folks who still use their 3DS regularly, but I'm probably gonna skip this one unless a lot of entirely new Pokémon are added.

For 3DS and Switch owners (or soon to be owners), how would you feel if GameFreak does make Pokemon Stars on Switch but announced it after Ultra Sun and Moon releases?

Riposte

So is USUM a new game or an updated version?

Would really appreciate more info in the OP.

It's not really clear. Alternate version of the story and Pokemon that weren't in the previous games is all we know. Nintendo is being weirdly confusing about this.

Aleh

And Pokémon still don't follow you.
This company is trash.

To be honest they only showed the playable character walking in what seems to be the start of the game where you probably don't have a Pokémon yet, so who knows.

Foffy

Banned
I don't see any reason why they would show Ultra Sun and Moon for 3DS and just "not mention" a Switch version. The games are likely 3DS exclusive

E3..?

I mean, this is Nintendo. They can likely do a "oh, it's coming to Switch, too!" during a Treehouse presentation.

The timing of this event and E3 gives some window, however small, for them to announce another version.

J@hranimo

Banned
Considering they won't release the white/orange one in NA...ugh.

They knew we wouldn't be worthy when we got mad about the new Pokemon news.

L

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I wonder if they'll still be going on about that this time next year when 3DS isn't getting games anymore

I mean they're the kind of people to take a late Pokemon release of all things as proof of their theory so who knows with them

The Switch is replacing the Wii U.

The 3DS will eventually stop getting new releases, but I don't think that the Switch is "replacing" it. The 3DS is simply being put out to pasture with no planned follow-up.

NotLiquid

Another reason why I have to imagine doing the B&W2 strategy might not work and why Nintendo might feel more compelled to port is because that game had the advantage of being Backward Compatible where-as this doesn't. There was no point in them doing a 3DS version of that game where-as I can see all the reason for them doing a Switch version here.

So is USUM a new game or an updated version?

Would really appreciate more info in the OP.

It's an "alternate storyline". We really don't know anything about it, and that's why it's so weird. It's such a weird time to announce a game that is likely not even going to be at E3 if it really is 3DS only, since the Spotlight is Switch focused.

Nah. Any of the 3DS Pokemon games would look like garbage at 1080p and it's not worth the time, effort, and money for Game Freak to rebuild the game from the ground up at this point in time for the Switch.

The best thing is for them to start working on the next generation of Pokemon for the Switch, which they're more than likely doing at this point.

The 3DS Pokemon games look fantastic when emulated due to filters and upscaling, and the game chugs on 3DS already due to the insane amount of polygon work that's gone into the models of the Pokemon. I'm sure Game Freak could integrate some easy pizzazz in a Switch port. Not every Switch game needs to look cutting-edge.

The Switch is replacing the Wii U.

The 3DS will eventually stop getting new releases, but I don't think that the Switch is "replacing" it. The 3DS is simply being put out to pasture with no planned follow-up.

That's some awfully convenient logic. Logic that flies in the face of what we've learned about Nintendo's restructuring over the last few years. I don't see why Switch doesn't serve as 3DS's replacement as well, when it's nearly certainly Nintendo's flagship console and handheld for the next few years.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm still gonna be getting the games, but man I really was hoping they'd be on Switch. Gold and Silver is awesome though.

Lmao so much for Pokemon Stars. 3DS too? Absolutely stone cold.

oh shit this is like the first time I've seen you post without "best wishes" tagged on the end of it :O :O

Some people talking about Black and White 2
But at least you could play B&W 2 on a 3DS

That's not the case with Ultra Sun and Moon

That's actually a really fair point.

E3..?

I mean, this is Nintendo. They can likely do a "oh, it's coming to Switch, too!" during a Treehouse presentation.

The timing of this event and E3 gives some window, however small, for them to announce another version.

But I still don't see why they would do that. If they are going out of their way to have a Pokemon Direct it makes no sense to save Ultra S&M for E3 1 week later.

Oersted

Switch is not a 3DS successor in the classical way like 3DS was to DS or GBA to GBC.

That is known.

Its a new thing all together.

So why does it seem like this won't be even close to what BW2 did after the original 2? Ultra? Seems super... I don't know. Makes it seem like it isn't some big upgrade from the originals.

Top Bottom