• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

Nah. Any of the 3DS Pokemon games would look like garbage at 1080p and it's not worth the time, effort, and money for Game Freak to rebuild the game from the ground up at this point in time for the Switch.

The best thing is for them to start working on the next generation of Pokemon for the Switch, which they're more than likely doing at this point.
Emulators prove that the game looks good when upscaled.
Not worth the money? You don't think it would sell?

They could outsource the work and let themselves focus on the next real thing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lame. But I guess it make sense that they don't really need more big Switch games for 2017 since by all accounts supply will be very constrained until well into 2018. So I guess they think it's better to save things like a Switch Pokemon for once supply catches up to demand and they need big games to re-start sales and get fence sitters to buy a console.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Switch is not a 3DS successor in the classical way like 3DS was to DS or GBA to GBC.

That is known.

Its a new thing all together.

It's still a successor that will get future mainline Pokemon games. What are you people trying to argue? It's silly semantics.

prateeko

Nah. Any of the 3DS Pokemon games would look like garbage at 1080p and it's not worth the time, effort, and money for Game Freak to rebuild the game from the ground up at this point in time for the Switch.

The best thing is for them to start working on the next generation of Pokemon for the Switch, which they're more than likely doing at this point.

Exactly, have to think about diminishing returns at some point.

When I saw how much time was being spent on Pokken, I knew "Stars" wasn't coming to the Switch. Has Eurogamer commented on being wrong yet?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 8 was on the 3DS as well. GameFreak sucks ass.

Macka

Anyone surprised by this is an idiot, it's the same strategy Nintendo had done all along. Remember people, pokemon emerald came out on GBC after GBA was already out and Black2/white2 came out on DS after 3DS was out already. I don't understand how anyone can forget this.
Emerald actually came out a few months before the DS, and was playable on it.

B2 & W2 released after the 3DS launch, and were playable on it.

That's the difference here.

It's not as if a version for Switch is much to ask, either. See Monster Hunter XX for what most of us expected.

Switch is not a 3DS successor in the classical way like 3DS was to DS or GBA to GBC.

That is known.

Well, yeah, I get that, but it's not like we don't consider DS the GBA successor, and it was less clear back then that the DS would supplant GBA as Nintendo's flagship handheld, than it is now that Switch will supplant 3DS as Nintendo's flagship handheld.

That is known.

So you seriously think Nintendo will make a new handheld despite them already saying that the Wii U/3DS software split hurt them?

The problem is that you cannot think simply in classical terms with the Switch, it's unprecedented.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So no more Pokemon games?

Emulators prove that the game looks good when upscaled.
Not worth the money? You don't think it would sell?

They could outsource the work and let themselves focus on the next real thing.

It would sell but it would very much look like an upscaled 3DS game and that could give the wrong impression of the Switch power-wise. You don't want your flagship, best-selling title making your platform look bad.

Oersted

Lame. But I guess it make sense that they don't really need more big Switch games for 2017 since by all accounts supply will be very constrained until well into 2018. So I guess they think it's better to save things like a Switch Pokemon for once supply catches up to demand and they need big games to re-start sales and get fence sitters to buy a console.

There is a really really obvious explanation.

Game Freak needs a time.

Sun and Moon isn't even a year old.

So you seriously think Nintendo will make a new handheld despite them already saying that the Wii U/3DS software split hurt them?

The problem is that you cannot think simply in classical terms with the Switch, it's unprecedented.

I did not imply or think that.

Exactly.

Foffy

Banned
That's actually a really fair point.

But I still don't see why they would do that. If they are going out of their way to have a Pokemon Direct it makes no sense to save Ultra S&M for E3 1 week later.

E3 is likely to be Switch focused, so they're getting the smaller announcements out of the way.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ultra Sun & Moon are the only first-party 3DS games really showcased at the event. Maybe Ever Oasis as well because that launched in two weeks..?

The Switch is replacing the Wii U.

The 3DS will eventually stop getting new releases, but I don't think that the Switch is "replacing" it. The 3DS is simply being put out to pasture with no planned follow-up.

Nah, it's replacing both. That entire Pokken trailer was about a dude playing Pokken on the go.

I watched the Pokken trailer and I totally presumed that bit at the end was a Switch announcement, only now am I seeing the truth. What in the hell?

KSweeley

Hmmmm, strange, the official The Pokemon Company International's press release does NOT list the systems for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: http://pokemon.gamespress.com/releases/2434/new-pokmon-games-announced-via-pokmon-direct

During Pokémon Direct, viewers also saw the first footage from the newest titles in the Pokémon series, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon. Two new Pokémon forms were shown resembling that of the Legendary Pokémon Solgaleo and Lunala. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features from Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon are scheduled to release worldwide on 17 November 2017—more information about the games will be revealed later this year.

Maybe Nintendo didn't want the Pokemon RPG first console debut to be a port and GameFreak isn't ready for HD Pokemon RPG game either.

I really don't think Stars will be on the Switch and instead Switch will get a new generation in a year or two along with the Diamond and Pearl remake.

WhatNXt

I've retired my 3DS, whether Nintendo intended me to or not. Disappointing.

I'll totally tune out of any E3 coverage Nintendo have for this as well. I'm just not interested.

Puruzi

Banned
d4t6CXz.jpg

wonder if these spots are gonna have something there now

Mareg

I don't understand.
I literally just bought Pokemon Sun 3ds for my son last month. Why another game on the same platform with the same name. What does Ultra even means ?

ChrisD

I just woke up and saw all the news

Hahahha
HAHAhahahah
HAHAHAHAHAAAAA

This is freaking great omg

If these are sequels ala B2/W2 I'll pick one up, otherwise I may be sitting things out. They made it sound like it will be, but the trailer didn't instill too much confidence. A few new areas isn't quite enough. They said the variety of Pokemon would be different, but then didn't show any new ones aside from the Box Legends, lol.

Edit: just saw the post above. Now I'm disappointed. :|

Emerald actually came out a few months before the DS, and was playable on it.

B2 & W2 released after the 3DS launch, and were playable on it.

That's the difference here.

It's not as if a version for Switch is much to ask, either. See Monster Hunter XX for what most of us expected.
The situation with the switch is differnt from before. We won't see a mainline Pokémon till we get the Pocket Switch that is smaller and doesn't have detachable controllers and flips closed.

When I saw how much time was being spent on Pokken, I knew "Stars" wasn't coming to the Switch. Has Eurogamer commented on being wrong yet?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 8 was on the 3DS as well. GameFreak sucks ass.

Tom Phillips jumped in to say that they've never mentioned timing for the announcement. He also shared the odd press release info where they had Switch listed under "available platforms" for Ultra Sun/Moon. I don't know if Stars exists, but I'm crazy enough to not believe that this announcement 100% rules it out.

Hmm not sure what to think of this. The direct didn't inspire the greatest of confidence that there be anything interesting or new to it anyway.

Atrarock

I agree. The obvious aliasing in every other clip besides this one is too offputting not to notice. Something is up regardless of what they're announcing.
I wouldn't look too far into it until something is concrete. A similar, clean looking video starts up when you're playing sun and moon normally. It's probably just part of the intro that we saw.

I absolutely get why Ultra is on 3DS. It just really should have been on both Switch and 3DS imo. Though with that said maybe it would be a nightmare to port it, so they just said fuck that.
Considering it took them nearly 4 years to have Pokemon run at a respectably, optimum frame rate on the DS (Diamond-Pearl to Black/White) gamefreak's optimization skills are what I can call "not great".
We should've seen it coming.
It was definitely a last surprise.

Top Bottom