• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

The dream is dead

DBpew7cW0AApgqF.jpg:large
yeah, but we knew this lol

I'm hoping the captains get more involved in the plot outside of their respective trials in the new version. So many great characters in S&M that feel too irrelevant.

Meier

I don't anticipate I'll play this. I'm done with "this version" of Pokemon.. collected all of them for the first time.

Coffinhal

This is the third version basically. I'm really excited if B2W2 are anything to go by.
also Gen VI will continue to remain worse gen with no third game to fall back on lmao

It might just be the midpoint between a standard third version and a sequel like B2W2 because of the only one-year gap between original game and new game.

I just don't get the timing of this... it seems way too soon to be pushing this out given Sun and Moon came out exactly a year prior. From my understanding only Crystal came out quicker between games, normally they wait around two years. 4 games that are extremely similar within 1 year seems like overkill.

ZeoVGM

Banned
You are interpreting too much into a driveby post. E3 is about Switch. He retired his 3DS. As long as he wasn't expecting and caring about Nintendo at E3 solely for Pokemon on Switch, he isn't making alot of sense.

How are you still not understanding?

All he said was that he would ignore S/M stuff at E3. You're embarrssing yourself here.

Pokemaniac

zEwGR.gif

I said from the beginning that it made more sense for them to finish out the generation on the 3DS.

So, looks like we might have some Black 2/White 2 style fusion going on.

13ruce

Banned
I just don't get the timing of this... it seems way too soon to be pushing this out given Sun and Moon came out exactly a year prior. From my understanding only Crystal came out quicker between games, normally they wait around two years. 4 games that are extremely similar within 1 year seems like overkill.

They want to milk the 3ds users one more time simple as that.

I have not read every page, but from a business perspective, this makes perfect sense for GameFreak and Nintendo:

For Poke revenues, think about:
  • intall base -- 66m 3DSes in the wild, versus, what, 4m switches?
  • discretionary spending in the target Poke audience -- even if the average Pokemon fanatic can find a switch, could they afford to buy one?

For the Switch side -- they already have more demand than they can handle, and they still have big/decent size games like Splatoon 2, Arms, and Mario Odyssey (and now Pokken Tournament) set to release this year. They don't need another marquee title to move systems this year. Better to launch a Switch pokemon in Q1 or A2 2018.
'Business decision'?

What are you talking about? People were expecting it to be cross-gen, not Switch exclusive.

Why are people chatting so much shit about Switch exclusivity? Why are people happy about this news because they only have a 3DS, cross-gen was the goal, people wouldn't complain if it was for both. Some comments here are mad.

akileese

Well if that's the case, why isn't 3DS specifically mentioned in this official Pokemon Company press release???: http://pokemon.gamespress.com/releases/2434/new-pokmon-games-announced-via-pokmon-direct

Are they going to officially announce the systems "later this year"?

If I were to put on my speculate cap I would guess they'd announce the Switch version at their E3 direct next week.

But if that's the case, what the fuck? Just announce it all next week. This direct never made sense as a whole. I was skeptical they'd announce a new mainline game a week before E3, but my rationalization was announce it today, show it off at treehouse. Then they plaster 3DS logos all over the video, ambiguously show the platforms in the press release and then double back over the wrong system being listed, which seems hard to believe.

Yeah, this is weird. They made sure to specify that Sun and Moon were exclusive to the 3DS at the time of their announcement:

P55LXR0.png

http://pokemon.gamespress.com/releases/1942/new-pokmon-games-announced-via-pokmon-direct

I expect absolutely nothing to come from this.

That said, hypothetically, it would be kinda badass to just drop a Switch version after people expected it to not happen.

"We never said it wasn't coming to Switch ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯"

Again though, I have no expectation that would actually happen.

Ryan95

I have never played Pokemon Black/White 2 so I have a question: since I've bought Moon, should I buy UltraMoon to respect any sort of "continuity" existing between the two titles?

Or, if anyone who have played B2/W2 can eventually confirm this,should the choice have no important impact on enjoying the sequel?

I'll need some hardcore details and significant reason to get this. I never got the third version of any pokemon game after yellow.

They better have a real story, and not nonsense side stories, the whole pikachu van thing makes me doubt they will... Want new battles, areas and the works, if this is just a rehash with new dialogue im out. Shuffled pokemon or not.

Not happening.

Source? Never saw that.
Iwata talked alot about how NX was going to be a family of systems, comparing it to how iPhone and iPad are a family of systems that share software. It's happening eventually. I can't find a link to it sorry but I know he said it.

This is the third version basically. I'm really excited if B2W2 are anything to go by.
also Gen VI will continue to remain worse gen with no third game to fall back on lmao

B2W2 was more than just a third version though, it advanced the story, had a new way to explore Unova, new gym fights, etc. The problem with third versions is how they just end up being the DX of the original games with few changes here and there, and added postgame (which is something GF won't do now that we've had two generations of games with little to no postgame).

ChrisD

Really the thing that bugs me most about this is the fact it's two versions for what has always, ALWAYS, been one title.

Now we get not one, but two Battle Frontier-less third versions.

Koyuga

I really can't get excited to drag out and dust off my 3ds again. I'm sorry Nintendo but I can't carry two handheld systems with me everywhere, not sure what you were thinking with this. Kind of an expected move though, they did more or less the same thing with black and white 2, except I could actually play that on my 3ds...

KSweeley

Fuck off Pokemon Company.... Why isn't the 3DS listed in this press release you put out then????? http://pokemon.gamespress.com/releases/2434/new-pokmon-games-announced-via-pokmon-direct

During Pokémon Direct, viewers also saw the first footage from the newest titles in the Pokémon series, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon. Two new Pokémon forms were shown resembling that of the Legendary Pokémon Solgaleo and Lunala. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features from Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon are scheduled to release worldwide on 17 November 2017—more information about the games will be revealed later this year.

aadiboy

Lol Eurogamer. They pushed out Stars rumors as if they were objective fact, getting everyone to believe them. Not only were they wrong about the console, they were wrong about it being a single game. It's pretty clear Game freak aren't going to be doing single version releases of Pokémon games anymore, which means the rumor was always bogus.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I have never played Pokemon Black/White 2 so I have a question: since I've bought Moon, should I buy UltraMoon to respect any sort of "continuity" existing between the two titles?

Or, if anyone who have played B2/W2 can eventually confirm this,should the choice have no important impact on enjoying the sequel?

If USUM (kek) is like BW2 then yeah it's a sequel. BW2 story elements require you to understand BW stuff. With that said, it's not unplayable.

Griss

Putting aside the Switch stuff, how do you announce a game like this and not make it absolutely clear what's new about it? Because watching that, my only thought was 'Why on earth would I play those games again, and why would I pay 45 euros for the privilege?'

A five second burst of screens saying 'New story! New characters! New trials / gyms! New alola formes!' would have been easy to do, but they didn't, implying that this is more of a Yellow or Emerald rather than a BW2. Of course it could be a BW2, but in that case my point stands - why didn't they make that clear?

Either way I've no interest in this, and frankly probably wouldn't if it came to Switch. Pokken will be great though.

Aequitas

I know releasing the games on the 3DS makes the most business sense but...

I'm just glad I didn't stay up for this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Iwata talked alot about how NX was going to be a family of systems, comparing it to how iPhone and iPad are a family of systems that share software. It's happening eventually. I can't find a link to it sorry but I know he said it.

Nope, not happening unless Switch sales tank.

The next mainline game will be on Switch, even in its current form.

We don't really know if it's like BW2 though. BW2 was a straight up sequel (and it was excellent) that reused many base assets from BW.

This seems more like Emerald or Platinum in which the general story is retained but the game is expanded and improved in terms of features, pacing, balancing and story changes.

Pretty much all the third versions of a Pokemon game aside for Crystal and Yellow proved their standalone purchase for me.

Top Bottom