• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

Classic Gamefreak. I don't consider them one of the least technically proficient developer for a reason. Well, relative to the production values they could put up with the money they rake in from these Pokemon games alone.

All those people being hopeful because the models for the 3DS games were already "future proof" and so on will learn.

When we do eventually get a Switch version it won't be among the more impressive Switch titles either. Maybe they won't be laggy at least!... maybe not even that

NimbusD

I mean I could see them doing this just to keep up a yearly release while they spend more development time on making an h switch version of Pokémon... But for the love of God it would go a long way for them to just say "yes, Pokémon is coming to switch". Because knowing how fucking stupid Nintendo and tpc are about Pokémon and home consoles, we need to actually hear them say that.

Lol Eurogamer. They pushed out Stars rumors as if they were objective fact, getting everyone to believe them. Not only were they wrong about the console, they were wrong about it being a single game. It's pretty clear Game freak aren't going to be doing single version releases of Pokémon games anymore, which means the rumor was always bogus.

Playing Devil's advocate here, Ultra Sun/Moon do not rule out a "third" version that is exclusive to Switch. There is no precedent for such an announcement, but I feel we're being quick to judge in both cases here.

People blindly believed the Eurogamer story about Stars being a Switch exclusive Pokemon game based on their track record. Now we're blindly believing that the game doesn't exist at all because Ultra Sun/Moon were announced.

WhatNXt

That also doesn't make alot of sense.

Sorry, my post wasn't intended to be interpreted as a drive-by. I was excited about today's Direct and hoping for some Switch news (more fool me I guess). I couldn't catch the stream live so reading this thread I'm naturally disappointed.

I own a 3DS, I've had an amazing time with it, but now that it's long in the tooth and new hardware has been released - I quite honestly don't want to buy games for it any further. That's just me.

It also means that when they have TPC covering this on Nintendo Treehouse I'm just not going to be as invested in the coverage as I would have otherwise been. I'll be looking forward to Switch game coverage a whole lot more.

I understand the userbase reasons for this, but I think it's a shame. That's all. I'm sure it'll still be a fun and competent experience for those willing to give it a chance.

I have never played Pokemon Black/White 2 so I have a question: since I've bought Moon, should I buy UltraMoon to respect any sort of "continuity" existing between the two titles?

Or, if anyone who have played B2/W2 can eventually confirm this,should the choice have no important impact on enjoying the sequel?
Not much is known about the new titles.
For B2W2 you would buy the sequel to the version you played so Black -> Black 2 because it shuffled Pokémon availability a bit to make it easier to get stuff unavailable in the first game.

Pandy

The important thing here is that the game isn't called Pokemon 'Stars'.

Hated that name from the first moment I heard it.

Playing Devil's advocate here, Ultra Sun/Moon do not rule out a "third" version that is exclusive to Switch. There is no precedent for such an announcement, but I feel we're being quick to judge in both cases here.

People blindly believed the Eurogamer story about Stars being a Switch exclusive Pokemon game based on their track record. Now we're blindly believing that the game doesn't exist at all because Ultra Sun/Moon were announced.

True, but I just want to believe because the name sounded icky.

Looking forward to 2018 Pokemon being Switch exclusive, and a bit more ambitious than a re-skinned Sun/Moon. We have to save some big titles for 2018, and Nintendo can barely manufacture enough Switches as it is, with Splatoon and Mario still to come, so why release one of the biggest system sellers now.

I see it going down like this:

2018 Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes for the 3DS.

2019 first mainline Pokemon on the Switch.
A DP remake would be so good but I honestly think we'll get that after the first Switch game :/
B2W2 was more than just a third version though, it advanced the story, had a new way to explore Unova, new gym fights, etc. The problem with third versions is how they just end up being the DX of the original games with few changes here and there, and added postgame (which is something GF won't do now that we've had two generations of games with little to no postgame).
This is a good chance for postgame. XY and SM didn't get any because they're the first games of a new generation and ORAS just copied and pasted the Maison from XY (something the final game of a gen would do, see HGSS). I think this game has potential.

Zedark

Nor is there for a third version in two parts, so there's that.

Sciel

Put in a couple of hundred hours into Sun/Moon doing breeding,etc last year......so not exactly sure if I would want to play a game which may end up being relatively similar.

Xbro

I recall someone at TPC saying they liked to do what wasn't expected when it came to the third versions.

--

Has Eurogamer said anything since the announcement?

Griss

Regarding the Pokemon company's clarification about the lack of a Switch version: It's clear that Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun aren't coming to the Switch - they are definitive about that. But that doesn't preclude a Pokemon Stars / Eclipse coming eventually.

I see it as highly unlikely but it's still possible.

I'm seeing mixed posts and responses about what this really is.

Basically we're gonna have to wait till E3 to find out if this is a 3rd version or a BW2 situation huh? You're killing me Nintendo.

Nope, not happening unless Switch sales tank.

The next mainline game will be on Switch, even in its current form.
You really think there won't be another form of the switch hardware? With Sony and MS having multiple forms of their hardware, you really think nintendo won't do it? It's would be a completely dumb move. Do you think instead they will release a portable successor that's it's own system? That's not happening. Switch is both home console and portable.

PSFan

Or want to still play on them or even have them still.

Baffling announcement for sure. Gonna skip this iteration, I just dont want to look at that shitty ass 3ds screen anymore. It's so ugly it constantly breaks any kind of immersion for me. I'm happy for those who still enjoys their 3ds though.

I will happily buy both games. I love my 3DS and have been playing it the most lately out of all the platforms I own. My Switch has just sat in it's dock since finishing Zelda like 2 months ago.

Lmao at anyone that thought that Game Freak would make their first game on a new console be a port/third version. They always, always, always start with a new Gen. This was always going to be another 3DS Gen VII game.

Disappoint but at least I will be getting the "better" version of Sun and Moon the first time around. Hopefully it has a few extras and tweaks like Black and White 2.

mazillion

Lol Eurogamer. They pushed out Stars rumors as if they were objective fact, getting everyone to believe them. Not only were they wrong about the console, they were wrong about it being a single game. It's pretty clear Game freak aren't going to be doing single version releases of Pokémon games anymore, which means the rumor was always bogus.

There's always the off-chance that Ultra Sun/Moon was made so 3DS owners won't feel left out of getting a new Pokemon when Switch gets Stars exclusively, they could announce Stars at E3.

Key words 'off-chance' though

Thoraxes

Well, not buying this.

And it's not gonna come to Switch. Just give up the false hope and accept it. Don't even expect a third version for it at E3 because you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Josh5890

I think it is clear that we will no longer see a singular third Pokemon entry for any generation. This marks three straight generations of straight sequels or nothing at all (X & Y). I guess Game Freak discovered that they could squeeze more sales buy doing double sequels. It is a bummer I would prefer one, defining Pokemon game ala Yellow and Platinum.

Nor is there for a third version in two parts, so there's that.

Absolutely! At this point it seems that if Pokemon Stars does exist, it'll defy expectation/precedent for sure! I'm still holding onto hope that it exists, but I don't blame people for giving up.

Either way I'll be interested to see what's actually different about Ultra Sun/Moon. They've been pretty light on the details thus far.

I recall someone at TPC saying they liked to do what wasn't expected when it came to the third versions.

--

Has Eurogamer said anything since the announcement?

Tom Phillips has commented that Ultra Sun/Moon seem like an odd choice, but I don't think they've retracted their statements about Stars.

ChrisD

I've played pretty much nothing but Fire Emblem Echoes on my 3DS for the past two weeks, with an occasional MK8D cup on Switch... Before jumping right back to Echoes, as I have a messenger bag I carry both systems in.

Seeing all of the, "how do I play on 3DS now" posts are ringing as sort of goofy to me, that said. The picture quality sucks, the ergonomics leave a fair bit to be desired (though I actually have more complaints with the Switch in handheld than I do my N3DS XL), and resolution definitely takes a blow. It is lame that you can't play these games on the newest platform, but the 3DS is still entirely playable.

/Not trying to defend GF/Nintendo just think acting like 3DS is unplayable is goofy
/Not even buying US/UM
/Unless it DOES have a Battle Frontier then I'll crack

NoKisum

The dream is dead

DBpew7cW0AApgqF.jpg:large

This info must be fake. What does 4chan have to say?

zeromcd73

So nothing in the trailer showing Pokemon following the player character. I wonder what all those animations were for than in Sun/Moon?

Nah. Ultra Sun/Moon are pretty clearly the "3rd" version (or rather, the 3rd and 4th versions, respectfully). What you're talking about is a hypothetical "5th" version of the game. It ain't happening. Eurogamer has absolutely no evidence. It's just blind belief that they're right anyway at this point, despite it making zero sense and going against all series precedent for both to exist. Completely dismissing the rumor isn't "blind belief" because there's nothing to "believe" in the first place. Assuming there is no such game is the default position, not believing it does exist.

AdanVC

To be honest, at this point, the 3DS is starting to become The Simpsons of handhelds. Just like the show, It was fantastic on it's first years with tons of memorable games and lot's of variety on genres, all of them from great to excellent, but now they just keep launching monotone niche RPGs, a 20th Fire Emblem and weird spinoffs nobody asked for and as long as they keep making money, they will never let it rest despite how awfully outdated the hardware is :((( Hope Game Freak actually begins working on a Switch mainline Pokémon game after this.

Jubenhimer

Usually I don't like saying I told you so. But I told you so. I knew that Pokémon Stars for Switch was BS from the start. And man it feels good to be vindicated. No offense to anyone who thought it was true, but if you look at it logically from a business perspective. A theoretical Switch Exclusive Pokemon Stars would make absolutely no practical sense. Pokemon on Switch will begin with a new Generation, not Stars.

The frustrating thing about this announcement is that it's not even clear what the games are. I'll be happy if they're full blown sequels like black 2 and white 2. But I'm not interested if they're just a third version.

Joqu

Looks like Sugimori's doing the cover legends artwork again this time, I recognize dem lines.

... not that anyone else cares about that stuff.

sinonobu

Banned
The number 1 is frustrating part is that Ultra S/M is essentially Crystal/Emerald/Pt of S/M but they release two versions of the game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Lmao at anyone that thought that Game Freak would make their first game on a new console be a port/third version. They always, always, always start with a new Gen. This was always going to be another 3DS Gen VII game.

Agreed, it was so annoying seeing folk touting the Eurogamer rumour as fact.

Im confused, is this like a Turbo Edition of Sun and Moon or is this more like Sun 2 and Moon 2 sequels?

Judging by Masuda wording, it's the former as they would be more blunt the naming if it was a straight up sequel.

Pandy

Better than Ultra Sun/Moon.

Not really.

Stars has connotations with 'celebrity', but has been overused in that context to the point it is just cheap sounding.

Eclipse, on the other hand, I can get behind.

This seems so lazy and pointless.

How do you not make it for Switch at the very least.

Because it'll take longer to make the Switch game given that they're jumping their workflow all the way up from 3DS. In the meantime they squeeze out another 3DS game to keep the money rolling in.

Oersted

Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and
a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

The Pokemon Company boss Tsunekazu Ishihara has confirmed the company will develop games for Nintendo's next console, codenamed NX.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/09/20/pokemon-company-ceo-confirms-support-for-nintendo-nx

Indeed, Switch will be the first Nintendo "home" console to receive a main Pokémon adventure. It only took 20 years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

Game Freak is recruiting for a new console development project and they’re in need of 3D CG designers with experience on Wii U and PS Vita level character models using animation and modeling software Maya.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/2...orizon-game-freak-recruiting-console-project/

TS-08

Absolutely! At this point it seems that if Pokemon Stars does exist, it'll defy expectation/precedent for sure! I'm still holding onto hope that it exists, but I don't blame people for giving up.

Either way I'll be interested to see what's actually different about Ultra Sun/Moon. They've been pretty light on the details thus far.

Tom Phillips has commented that Ultra Sun/Moon seem like an odd choice, but I don't think they've retracted their statements about Stars.

He hasn't specifically retracted but he clearly was blindsided by the Ultra Sun and Moon announcements, and tweeted things we've mentioned here like the Switch being referenced in the Ultra Sun and Moon press site (which has since been clarified). He hasn't tweeted anything supporting the original article about an exclusive version coming to the Switch this year.

Nah. Ultra Sun/Moon are pretty clearly the "3rd" version (or rather, the 3rd and 4th versions, respectfully). What you're talking about is a hypothetical "5th" version of the game. It ain't happening. Eurogamer has absolutely no evidence. It's just blind belief that they're right anyway at this point, despite it making zero sense and going against all series precedent for both to exist. Completely dismissing the rumor isn't "blind belief" because there's nothing to "believe" in the first place. Assuming there is no such game is the default position, not believing it does exist.

I feel like a site like Eurogamer wouldn't make up the idea of Pokemon Stars just for random fun.

Either way, I'm not here to argue semantics with you. Have a nice day.

Top Bottom