• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament Review Thread

Ridley327

What's this about the frame rate? I can't check your link at the moment.

Local versus cuts the framerate in half so that the TV player and the Gamepad player can battle. For a game that runs at 60 fps otherwise, it's a hell of a concession to make.

Thankfully, it does support LAN, though that's a considerably more elaborate setup as it requires two copies of the game and two consoles.

BiggNife

What's this about the frame rate? I can't check your link at the moment.

Local vs on one console is resticted to 30fps, with on player on the TV and the other on the gamepad. With the way the game is structured, each person needs their own screen.

You can play 60fps multiplayer with multiple Wii Us through either wiring them up through LAN adapters or via WLAN by having them both on the same wifi network.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
how's the netcode though?

Decent scores. It's strange though, why would you criticize based on how much depth the fighting mechanics have?

not strange at all - this is mostly an mp-only fg. without depth, the game wont be fun for long.

woopWOOP

Not sure if I'll pick this one up with the time and money I have right now, but I hope it'll do well enough to get an expanded sequel at some point. Add a few more fighters and modes and it'll be solid.

Seriously, I hope this won't go the way of Pokemon Conquest and be a one time thing..

JoeM86

Here are a couple more now EU embargo is done

NintendoLife - Score Pending
Pokkén Tournament has attempted to break into the fighting game genre with a bang, and it has done just that. It bring freshness and new life to a notoriously stale genre that's difficult to develop, whilst stripping out the unnecessarily complex controls that have plagued many games before it. Like Super Smash Bros. it's easy to pick up, but the skill ceiling appears to be as high as you'd like, meaning there's a cacophony of enjoyment to be had for both relaxed and hardcore gamers alike. It has a few areas that feel like a missed opportunity and the fuzzy visuals keep it from being truly perfect, but these are grotesquely outweighed by the sheer polish and replayability of the core gameplay. As the first of what we hope is a series of fighting games, Pokkén Tournament surpasses our expectations.

NintendoInsider - 8/10
Whether or not it will be a fighting game that will dominate the competitive scene for the next few years is impossible to say. But, whether you are a genre enthusiast, a Pokémon fan or just a gamer in general, Pokkén Tournament is an incredibly fun game with solid mechanics that can certainly hold their own.

Nintendo World Report - In Progress
The base of a great fighter is present in Pokkén Tournament – the combat is simple to pick up but has enough complexity that a competitive scene could thrive. What characters are present do play with enough variety that you won't get bored leveling them up, and the obsessives will have a field day collecting every title and piece of clothing. It's also a graphical showcase for late era Wii U games. It's just that if this is going to be Street Fighter II, it needs a Super version with some new challengers – and hopefully not at full price.

Kinda interesting to see a review like this that says it's too shallow while the IGN review argues that it's too complicated for its own good. Curious to see how I feel about it myself.

It's interesting to see some reviewers say the fighting mechanics are "overly simplistic" while others think they have too much depth.
Was just thinking that. It's going to be interesting watching what kind of community comes out of this game.

It's also interesting in that this is the first time Nintendo seems to be directly targeting the FGC. With Smash, it seems like something that just happened, but with Pokken it's clear from the get-go they want this to be a mainstay.

Neoxon

Hmm...higher than I expected. I think I'll wait to see if they cave and actually do DLC.
Maybe for an NX version, but the Wii U is too close to its end for Namco to bother.

I didn't expect GameSpot to have such a glowing review.

Zalman

Was just thinking that. It's going to be interesting watching what kind of community comes out of this game.

It's also interesting in that this is the first time Nintendo seems to be directly targeting the FGC. With Smash, it seems like something that just happened, but with Pokken it's clear from the get-go they want this to be a mainstay.
According to Ishihara from TPC, it was primarily made to be the third pillar of the Pokémon World Championship events, alongside the main games and the TCG. I think it's going to see a lot of support, especially if Nintendo continues to push it too.

Kinda interesting to see a review like this that says it's too shallow while the IGN review argues that it's too complicated for its own good. Curious to see how I feel about it myself.
I found it incredibly simple, (Im primarily a blazblue player) but found the perspective switching pointless, a deeper 3D or deeper 2D wouldve been better

JoeM86

According to Ishihara from TPC, it was primarily made to be the third pillar of the Pokémon World Championship events, alongside the main games and the TCG. I think it's going to see a lot of support, especially if Nintendo continues to push it too.

All depends how this year goes.

I'm concerned about the support beyond this year to be honest. As much fun as it looks, I fear the novelty will die after this year.

Oh, hadn't heard that. Yeah, I think this thing it getting sequel unless it totally tanks. Which, given the brand, isn't going to happen.

Robin64

I think this part of the Eurogamer review may have sold me on it.

Bring up a Pokémon's move list, and it won't just tell you how to pull off certain attacks, but the scenarios in which they're best deployed, or the advantage you'll gain from using them. Seasoned players will want to turn off the in-battle tips from your advisor, but for beginners her help is invaluable: she'll offer words of encouragement, gently tell you where you're going wrong, and remind you how to deal with specific techniques.

It'll be nice to have some variety at a Pokemon Championship instead of the same group of Pokemon and the same deck of cards that I've grown really bored of seeing.

Skelter

Banned
Drops to 30fps in local matches if you aren't doing LAN due to the gamepad screen being used for the second player.
Local versus cuts the framerate in half so that the TV player and the Gamepad player can battle. For a game that runs at 60 fps otherwise, it's a hell of a concession to make.

Thankfully, it does support LAN, though that's a considerably more elaborate setup as it requires two copies of the game and two consoles.
when doing versus on the same system the frame gets knocked down to 30 fps due to the fact that player 1 has to use the game pad

Local vs on one console is resticted to 30fps, with on player on the TV and the other on the gamepad. With the way the game is structured, each person needs their own screen.

You can play 60fps multiplayer with multiple Wii Us through either wiring them up through LAN adapters or via WLAN by having them both on the same wifi network.

Well that really kills my interest in buying the game. None of my friends have Wii U's and this would've primarily been played only locally just like with Smash Bros. Do I HAVE to use the game pad? Can I just use two other controllers and get 60 fps?

MagnesD3

I wish reviews for fighting games focused more on the gameplay than the amount of content that way I could tell if pokken is a good "fighting game" or not.

Robin64

Well that really kills my interest in buying the game. None of my friends have Wii U's and this would've primarily been played only locally just like with Smash Bros. Do I HAVE to use the game pad? Can I just use two other controllers and get 60 fps?

No, because of the unique view each player gets.

Unfortunately, no. They're really pushing the behind camera angle as the only way to play.

Eurogamer

For my money, it's a triumph on both counts, though the wider market might take some convincing. A stumbling debut in Japanese arcades - in part thanks to a more limited roster, and a rather generous playtime per credit - has earned it an undeservedly negative reputation ahead of its console release. Whether it will reach a large enough audience on Wii U to repair its standing remains to be seen, but Pokkén Tournament has earned the right to be re-examined from a fresh angle.

oti

Banned
I could see myself getting this to play with my cousin. He's 7, knows Pokémon but the main series is too complicated for him right now. He rather download a bunch of free games on the family tablet and play that crap than investing a bit of time to understand game systems. This could be his entry point to Pokémon.

But not for 60 euros, I can wait.

gunstarhero

That GameSpot score was unexpected.

Just watched the review - all in all I'm pretty hyped, but that GS review mentions nothing about the local 2p experience. Any frame drops? What's the experience like using the 2 screens, etc. Seems like that should be a big factor for a fighting game's review...

Hori controller impressions would have been nice to.

ash_ag

All depends how this year goes.

I'm concerned about the support beyond this year to be honest. As much fun as it looks, I fear the novelty will die after this year.

I'm inclined to think the Wii U version was to gauge interest more than anything. They didn't develop it under the impression that Wii U would suddenly pick up, and I doubt they would invest so much to push it in competitions like EVO if they didn't think of the long term.

I take the lack of DLC as indication that a Super version will come sooner rather than later, for better or for worse. And in spite of FG norms, I'm pretty sure they are counting on a potential handheld version to popularise the concept and make a stronger impression to the more casual players.

Sterok

That's the third Nintendo game Gamespot has given a 9 in the past 2 months. Weird. Overall scores are a bit lower than I expected, but it's not too big a deal. Seems like it has the bare minimum for what is acceptable in a fighting game. Which is kind of lame, but the the bare minimum is acceptable. I'd expect good post-launch support if it was anything except one of the swan songs of the Wii U of all things. So I'm 50/50 on it right now.

Oersted

That's the third Nintendo game Gamespot has given a 9 in the past 2 months. Weird. Overall scores are a bit lower than I expected, but it's not too big a deal. Seems like it has the bare minimum for what is acceptable in a fighting game. Which is kind of lame, but the the bare minimum is acceptable. I'd expect good post-launch support if it was anything except one of the swan songs of the Wii U of all things. So I'm 50/50 on it right now.

It runs under TPC. They never care about being late.

BiggNife

I found it incredibly simple, (Im primarily a blazblue player) but found the perspective switching pointless, a deeper 3D or deeper 2D wouldve been better

Well, to be fair, I think every fighting game feels simple in comparison to Blazblue.

Based on what little I played during the Dave & Busters location test I was able to pick up the basics pretty quickly, but also I've played a lot of Street Fighter and Marvel (and also I really didn't have enough time to full grasp all of the mechanics since I only played like three matches). Kinda wonder if Smash players will be able to pick it up.

KingBroly

Banned

It's not scheduled to get post-launch support.

As far as SP content, it dwarfs SF5's offerings, which is not only barely existent, but also terrible. This at least has a proper tutorial and allows you to play the CPU in offline matches.

Top Bottom