• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken to also feature LAN multiplayer between two Wii Us

ash_ag

Jeebus, Pokemon Stadium as an NX launch title would be a dream come true.

I remember thinking that a new Stadium-esque game would be redundant following Gen 6's switch to 3D. After 3 years, I'm not sure anymore. On one hand, most casual players would hardly care about something like that, and I doubt even most hardcore players have a Wii U. On the other hand, PBR provided a different level of presentation with its dynamic cameras and higher resolution. Especially when it comes to competitions like Worlds, a Stadium-esque game would greatly help making it all more exciting.

I wouldn't count on it, but a high-res version of Game Freak's battle presentation with better cameras and more stages would be great to see as an eShop title in the next console. Wouldn't be expensive to develop, and it wouldn't have to have multiple modes. Just something the handheld titles could connect to for better presentation of battles.

Neoxon

I think Nintendo is slightly bigger than other small companies, I'm sure they can push more than one game lol
Here's hoping. I'd love to see Pokkén Tournament prosper & coexist with the likes of Tekken 7, Smash 4, Melee, & Street Fighter V.

2016 is the glorious year of fighting games!
Rejoice! :)
Hell yeah it is! All we're missing is Marvel 4.
Capcom pls.
Marvel pls.
Sony pls.

JoeM86

Redid the bit about online matches with more details

There are two parts of the online component in the game: Friendly Matches & Ranked Matches. Friendly Matches can be played against anyone, with people on Friend Lists or people who have the Battle Code for your Friendly Match. Ranked Matches are where you can earn various rank points, awarded based on your success in the match and players compete to get the highest rank

crinale

I think arcade PCB does have native Ethernet port to connect between cabinets (not USB converted ones). I hope NX (console) does support native Ethernet port.

Neoxon

Redid the bit about online matches with more details

There are two parts of the online component in the game: Friendly Matches & Ranked Matches. Friendly Matches can be played against anyone, with people on Friend Lists or people who have the Battle Code for your Friendly Match. Ranked Matches are where you can earn various rank points, awarded based on your success in the match and players compete to get the highest rank
That's a nice work-around just in case you max out on the number of friends you can have on your Nintendo Network account. Kinda reminds me of the passwords for Splatoon lobbies except it's a key for anyone to get into the lobby.

I think arcade PCB does have native Ethernet port to connect between cabinets (not USB converted ones). I hope NX (console) does support native Ethernet port.
I'd have to double-check that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for the arcade cabinets. Here's to hoping that the NX Console has an ethernet port built-in.

Clefargle

Oh yeah, I was surprised at the lack of Ethernet on the Wii U so it better be on NX. There is no reason not to, I mean how much could it cost, 1$?!?

Exile20

Was a wired option for controllers confirmed?

Yup

121261b.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/acces...o5E0tFGK2TsNoIBDbNsBD81AWIgX3j--zqhoCVTLw_wcB

HardRojo

At least this brings back competitive Pokkén to the table. If the versus mode with the GamePad running at 30 fps had been the only option, that would've been catastrophic.
Edit: Do you also need 2 copies of the game to be able to play this mode? Some DS (and I suppose 3DS games) let you play with just one copy.

MUnited83

For you.
30 FPS for Local? WTF. I hope this has a NX port down the line.
At least this brings back competitive Pokkén to the table. If the versus mode with the GamePad running at 30 fps had been the only option, that would've been catastrophic.
Edit: Do you also need 2 copies of the game to be able to play this mode? Some DS (and I suppose 3DS games) let you play with just one copy.
Wii U doesn't have such a feature, afaik.

JoeM86

Wait, 30 fps in local with the Gamepad?

What?

As the game requires fixed cameras for both players and can't do splitscreen without it being janky during the shift change, one player has to use the gamepad while the other uses the TV. This means the game has to be rendered twice.

Revven

Thank God for LAN, this means it won't necessarily be dead on arrival at grassroots/community run tournaments. Off-TV play with the other person using the TV at 30 FPS as the only option would have meant it was dead for sure -- no one would want to play a fighting game at 30 FPS. Yeesh.

Peltz

If they allow this between a NA and Japanese Wii U I'm importing a second console to play the few Japanese exclusive Wii and Wii U titles I've missed.

Exile20

link cable :(

why couldn't they take the gamepad out the equation and just require two pro controllers / pokken controllers ?!

They wanted to keep the same perspective for each player unlike Naruto. Same as the arcade.

They wanted to be consistent.

LAN MULTIPLAYER ISN'T DEAD!!!!

Wish Splatoon had this.

it does have lan play but atleast on console needs to be connected to the internet, same as this game.

Peltz

I would prefer downgraded visuals and a locked 60fps framerate for local though. I really wish they'd developed everything with the Gamepad in mind so we didn't need to lose framerate.

I mean, I wouldn't mind two 480p screens if it meant proper gameplay.

JoeM86

I would prefer downgraded visuals and a locked 60fps framerate for local though. I really wish they'd developed everything with the Gamepad in mind so we didn't need to lose framerate.

This was initially an arcade game where it's played with two terminals each with their own processing capabilities. Shifting that to a console is tricky without taking liberties and downgraded visuals would have got much more ire.

HardRojo

30 FPS for Local? WTF. I hope this has a NX port down the line.

Wii U doesn't have such a feature, afaik.

Oh, well that's a shame. I know I'm really interested in this game because it combines my love for Fighting games and my nostalgia for Pokémon. Still, LAN multiplayer means I can at least play with my friends if someone decides to take their Wii U too and events can have actual tournaments now, even if the logistics will be a little tricky.

KevinCow

Banned
Wait, no local play? That's fucking lame and kills a lot of the interest I had in this game.

Like I understand why, they want both players to have the same perspective, but they could at least give the option to play on one screen and give the second player slightly different controls. That would be preferable to garbage 30fps Gamepad local play.

Fmal

Banned
I heard on ATP that this game isn't too popular in Japan for some reason. I haven't played it, but I hope it's good enough to get some sort of a scene here in NA. I wanna bust heads with Machamp.

JoeM86

Wait, no local play? That's fucking lame and kills a lot of the interest I had in this game.

Like I understand why, they want both players to have the same perspective, but they could at least give the option to play on one screen and give the second player slightly different controls. That would be preferable to garbage 30fps Gamepad local play.

It has local play, it's just one needs the gamepad. So no, not "no local play".

Also, you need to see how the game works to learn that having one fixed camera just wouldn't work for it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

There is, but with 30fps. I'm actually baffled they managed to do local especially considering how taxing multiple-perspective games are to Wii U.

And it's more to do with the different perspective and the transitions that required different screens. The arcade was build with that in mind, and it is the most common standards in arcades since mid 2000's.

Peltz

given that Versus City setups have been pretty standard in Japan for a while, it makes a lot of sense that modern fighting games would cater to a single player camera, and link with ethernet.
Virtual On was the first arcade game that made me think that fighting games should turn to over the shoulder perspective where each player has their own view.

Virtual On totally blew my fucking mind the first time I saw it at an arcade by the way. It's totally underrated.

KevinCow

Banned
It has local play, it's just one needs the gamepad. So no, not "no local play".

Also, you need to see how the game works to learn that having one fixed camera just wouldn't work for it.

30fps and forcing one player to use the Gamepad is effectively no local play.

And I don't see why one player having to press down to move towards their opponent instead of up would be a massive unplayable change.

-MB-

And I don't see why one player having to press down to move towards their opponent instead of up would be a massive unplayable change.

You sit with each other in the same space, each have a different screen, it's local play.

JoeM86

Local play you don't like is still local play

Also, you clearly don't get the game if you think that's viable. It'd put one player at a huge disadvantage.

Adaren

I consider it local play and am happy with it, so, you know, opinions.

It's undoubtedly a million times better than just dropping local play altogether, like Halo 5 did.

KevinCow

Banned
Local play you don't like is still local play

Also, you clearly don't get the game if you think that's viable. It'd put one player at a huge disadvantage.

It's not just that I don't like it. It's that it's an objectively inferior way to play the game. You have half the framerate, which I shouldn't have to explain why that's worse, and the players are uneven because one of them gets a big fancy TV and the other is stuck with the tiny little Gamepad screen.

And you're right, I don't know everything about the game. But from the videos I've watched, it doesn't seem unreasonable that letting one player control the near character and the other player control the far character could be an OPTIONAL way to play the game. I mean nobody has a problem with this when it comes to, say, tennis games.

Or maybe they could've just made a better game that was designed with single screen play in mind like literally every other fighting game ever instead of designing it around a multi-screen arcade setup while completely ignoring the possibility of a console port? Just a thought.

Whatever the case, this effectively kills the game for me as far as multiplayer goes. If I have a friend over, I'm not going to flip a coin to see who's stuck with the Gamepad in the shitty gimped 30fps version of the game, and we're sure as hell not going to buy a second Wii U, a second TV, and a second copy of the game. So I might not even bother with the game now.

test_account

XP-39C²
As the game requires fixed cameras for both players and can't do splitscreen without it being janky during the shift change, one player has to use the gamepad while the other uses the TV. This means the game has to be rendered twice.
Why did they go for such a solution?

Neiteio

Has it been confirmed that local play is 30 fps? Or is it possible it'll be 60 fps on both the TV and GamePad like with Star Fox Zero?

Jebusman

Banned
Or maybe they could've just made a better game that was designed with single screen play in mind like literally every other fighting game ever instead of designing it around a multi-screen arcade setup while completely ignoring the possibility of a console port? Just a thought.

So effectively "Fuck you make the game the way I want it, fuck your design intentions, fuck your style, fuck your gameplay, fuck your testing, fuck you"

That's just about what I got out of your post. A little exaggerated of course.

They came up with a design that worked in the arcades, tested it, it worked well, went with it.

Looked at porting it to consoles, realised the WiiU could "sort of" do it but had to sacrifice framerate to do it.

That's about it.

I would argue that forcing a player to play the character in the far position would be an "objectively inferior way" to play the game just as much as 30FPS would.

And maybe, just maybe, they didn't want to make a game like "literally every other fighting game ever".

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's not just that I don't like it. It's that it's an objectively inferior way to play the game. You have half the framerate, which I shouldn't have to explain why that's worse, and the players are uneven because one of them gets a big fancy TV and the other is stuck with the tiny little Gamepad screen.

And you're right, I don't know everything about the game. But from the videos I've watched, it doesn't seem unreasonable that letting one player control the near character and the other player control the far character could be an OPTIONAL way to play the game. I mean nobody has a problem with this when it comes to, say, tennis games.

Whatever the case, this effectively kills the game for me as far as multiplayer goes. If I have a friend over, I'm not going to flip a coin to see who's stuck with the Gamepad in the shitty gimped 30fps version of the game, and we're sure as hell not going to buy a second Wii U, a second TV, and a second copy of the game. So I might not even bother with the game now.
Godamn man, get some perspective

Top Bottom