• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer kills unarmed teen that crashed into car dealership - Arlington, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebra

42d9kCf.png

RS9n6Mj.png

Z0kBeMC.jpg

A tweet he wrote one week ago:
CHkLlu5.jpg

ARLINGTON – Police in Arlington say a burglary suspect was unarmed when fatally shot by an officer early Friday morning at a car dealership.

Authorities identified the suspect as 19-year-old Christian Taylor. Police also identified the officer who fired the weapon as 49-year-old Brad Miller, who was under supervised field training at the time of the shooting. Authorities say Miller joined the department in September of 2014 and graduated from the academy in March.

"Upon arrival at the car dealership, officers found that a vehicle had been driven through the front of the building," said Sgt. Paul Rodriguez, a spokesman for Arlington police, in a statement released later in the afternoon. "Officers established a perimeter and approached the suspect inside. As officers confronted the suspect, there was an altercation during which at least one officer discharged his weapon."

-WFAA

Investigators reviewed video footage from the dealership’s security cameras but have found no footage of the shooting, police said. Arlington police officers don’t wear body cameras, police said, though the department is implementing a pilot program.

Travis Pride, Taylor’s coach at Mansfield Summit, said he talked with him Thursday, when the teen visited Summit to work out with Pride’s current players. They spoke about his future in San Angelo, where Taylor was slated to return Sunday.

“He told me that he thought he’d have an opportunity to start,” Pride said. “He was ready to get back. He loved the coaches, loved the program. All signs were pointed to go, for him to go get things done.”

-Dallas Morning News

The officer has been put on paid administrative leave while an investigation is completed.

Mimosa97

Unfortunately there is no video, so we don't know what happened inside the dealership.

How convenient ...

So they gave a gun to a 50 yo dude with not even 6 months of proper training and he ends up shooting an unarmed black teen ? Shocking.

Why would you even join the police at this age ? How can you pass physical training ?

Nephtis

Why did he crash into the dealership though? That's what seems so odd to me in the first place and there's no mention of that.

Hopefully as the investigation continues there will be some light shed on that.

_Nemo

Why did he crash into the dealership though? That's what seems so odd to me in the first place and there's no mention of that.

Hmm well gee, perhaps if he wasn't shot dead by a fucking dirty cunt ass of a human being, maybe we could've found out some details.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Don't all cops have tasers nowadays? Why do unarmed civilians keep getting fatally shot???

Velcro Fly

Implementing a pilot program for cameras? Now is that a result of this or is that something they were in the process of doing before this happened?

I don't know that it makes any sense for a guy to drive into a dealership GTA3 style in order to do anything mischievous.

Just another young life snuffed out too soon. The broken record of body cameras and retraining our police will continue on though.

Hopefully as the investigation continues there will be some light shed on that.

ARLINGTON – Police in Arlington say a burglary suspect was unarmed when fatally shot by an officer early Friday morning at a car dealership.

Nephtis

Hmm well gee, perhaps if he wasn't shot dead by a fucking dirty cunt ass of a human being, maybe we could've found out some details.

They say burglary. But that makes little sense.

The burglary part makes little sense -- who the hell would crash into a dealership to burglarize? But then, just because the call was made for a burglary it doesn't mean it was taking place.

I wonder if he was drunk, or drugged and just happened to get in a crash because of it.

Frog-fu

Banned
An unarmed teenager crashed a car into a building and yet somehow still possessed the vitality to intitiate some kind of altercation that forced an officer to discharged his weapon and use deadly force to neutralise the threat he supposedly posed?

Forgive me for being sceptical.

Future

Why aren't body cams required on all cops everywhere? Good cops should like it because it will justify all their actions and won't get shit on whenever they have to pull the trigger.

Did I answer my own question?

Nephtis

Why aren't body cams required on all cops everywhere? Good cops should like it because it will justify all their actions and won't get shit on whenever they have to pull the trigger.

They're gaining more and more popularity across the US. It stands to reason that, while bodycams are a growing trend, not all police departments will have them, and most will hold back on them as much as they can.

kirblar

Tech is relatively recent.

Two Words

This is definitely one of the cases where more details need to come out. The problem is that I don't trust for an objective and unbiased investigation to take place. I'm willing to accept that the guy might have done something to alarm the cop into firing at him. I'm also willing to accept that the cop was trigger happy. I'm not willing to accept that the investigation will be handled properly.

Theres so little info here I can't come to any reasonable conclusion. Hopefully, an independent enquiry will prove fruitful.

entremet

Who becomes a cop at the Age of 48?

Probably former or retired military.

Some forces have age exception for veterans.

Some forces are also understaffed and have no age limits, but these are usually small towns. Arlington is rather big, so I'm guessing a former vet. Could be wrong, though.

For reference it's 35 for NYPD.

Imm0rt4l

Hardly know anything about the guy but given the circumstances in which they found him, I'm incredulous that this was a robbery.

MutFox

Banned
If it was a robbery,
stuff like that happens unfortunately. :/

If it was just him having a car accident,
then getting shot for it, well, that's sad. :(

wtf another? garbage. i'll wait for all the facts to come out but with the kid dead and no footage we are only going to get the side of the story that makes this "seem" justified

Dabanton

Crashing a car into a shop front is a pretty extreme way to burgle. Cops don't have the best history in being truthful about why some people get shot. So this is a wait and see situation.

Velcro Fly

Crashing a car into a shop front is a pretty extreme way to burgle. Cops don't have the best history in being truthful about why some people get shot. So this is a wait and see situation.

It's important to note that smash and grab robberies are a real thing. Usually some big vehicle through a storefront and a dozen people jump out and steal everything they can grab in a minute or two and then they are out.

But a car dealership? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, judging by his Twitter, he doesnt seem like a bad dude. Seems like a genuinely nice guy with his head on his shoulders. Fuck.

Velcro Fly

But that sounds dumb. You could kill someone. Your car could get stuck. Your car is damaged and identifiable. Who does this?

People do. There was a rash of them in the Chicago area over this past holiday. Started with just smashing windows but escalates to taking a van and driving it into the building. People aren't using their own cars mind you. That would be silly.

kmag

It's actually very common.

But a car dealership? Smash and grabs commonly involve smaller merchandise. It'd be very difficult to actually remove a car from a dealership. You'd have to identify the car, either retrieve the keys or hotwire it and then drive it through the wreckage of the store front.

Kite

Crashing a car into a shop front is a pretty extreme way to burgle.
Erm.. no it's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_and_grab

A smash and grab raid or smash and grab attack (or simply a smash and grab) is a particular form of burglary. The distinctive characteristics of a smash and grab are the elements of speed and surprise. A smash and grab involves smashing a barrier, usually a display window in a shop or a showcase, grabbing valuables, and then making a quick getaway, without concern for setting off alarms or creating noise.[1]

Smash and grab raids can occur in many scenarios, both in broad daylight and at night, and the perpetrators can range from experienced thieves to impulsive vandals. Typically, display windows and showcases that are in enclosed areas, such as shopping malls and office buildings, are less vulnerable to smash and grab raids than those on open streets – particularly where the streets are poorly lit or unobserved (such as premises in pedestrian subways or unstaffed transport facilities).[1] Recent smash and grab crimes have also involved ramming a pickup truck through the walls of a convenience store or gas station in order to remove the ATM from the premises and recover the cash.

Smash and grabs at car dealerships or stores in general are hardly unknown. That being said, we don't know if the guy got into an accident, was drunk/high or was there to steal. Will wait for more info before freaking out.

http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/a...cle_0d436018-eea8-11e4-8ed4-db7078a73af0.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z5t8s20NKk
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12...uck-into-long-island-macys-steal-atm-machine/
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/201...ickup-into-7-eleven-in-northeast-dallas.html/

Kettch

If it was a robbery,
stuff like that happens unfortunately. :/

If it was just him having a car accident,
then getting shot for it, well, that's sad. :(

That wouldn't be sad, it would be infuriating. And I don't see any way this is a robbery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom