• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer kills unarmed teen that crashed into car dealership - Arlington, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

From what I've seen of these cases, that's not at all uncommon.

Here in Miami, we've had multiple cases where suspects or their vehicles are just shot again and again and again. Cops are probably taught to do it.
I can somewhat understand if a person is trying to shoot somebody that they are mercilessly lit up. This is a case where the cop just decided shooting him was best, for no reason besides fear, and then decided to shoot him some more when fear was no longer a factor.

Kettch

I would argue that an unarmed person being shot dead means something went wrong regardless of the circumstances. Stay further away from the suspect, have non-lethal solutions available, don't fire before identifying an actual weapon. Whatever went wrong needs to be fixed even in the most justified of cases. Because it should not be happening.

wildfire

Banned
From what I've seen of these cases, that's not at all uncommon.

Here in Miami, we've had multiple cases where suspects or their vehicles are just shot again and again and again. Cops are probably taught to do it.

I just heard about the cop getting fired. I wondered how they wouldn't stand up for this guy considering all the shenanigans we've seen earlier. Well the cop was a trainee and instead of following the example of his supervisor using a taser he went for lethal force. It's obvious why this was too egregious to ignore now.

squall211

Cop yes, but was he part of the union? I thought it took a certain amount of time on the job before getting to become a union member. That's something I think is worth knowing given how fiercely the unions stick to their members, regardless of evidence and charges. I'm wondering if his quick dismissal was due to not having union backing yet. I'd love to hear he was in the union and was still kicked off the force so quickly.

I do the payroll for the local police force where I live. A brand new hire will start at our police academy for three months before actually going on the road with a superior, but he is in the police union on his first day of hiring.

Nafai1123

Banned
Wow, I'm amazed that the other officers that were there are actually being truthful about what happened. With no body cameras I just assume they'd lie.

Progress!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

A grand jury has decided to take no action against a white North Texas police officer fired after fatally shooting an unarmed black college football player while responding to an after-hours burglary call. Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson said in a statement Wednesday that former Arlington, Texas, police trainee Brad Miller would not face criminal charges.

e5YuU.gif
e5YuU.gif
e5YuU.gif

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Why did he crash into the dealership though? That's what seems so odd to me in the first place and there's no mention of that.

Hopefully as the investigation continues there will be some light shed on that.

Does it matter? Burglary isn't supposed to carry a death sentence.

Aselith

I've given up on these stories

The initial comments are always, omg wtf cops, fire them all blah blah.

Then the real circumstances come out later and it makes sense.

Idk what that kid was doing, but I'd rather wait for the full real story before I make judgement.

This happened a year ago and you're still waiting on the facts?

How convenient ...

So they gave a gun to a 50 yo dude with not even 6 months of proper training and he ends up shooting an unarmed black teen ? Shocking.

Why would you even join the police at this age ? How can you pass physical training ?

A close friend and training partner of mine just had his 50th. Dude is a machine.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Well, I, for one, am shocked at the results of this "investigation."

Anybody that actually expected a different outcome than the usual was deluding themselves. I have no idea why he crashed into a dealership. Anything could have been the reason. Alcohol, losing control of the vehicle, falling asleep, etc. Burglary seems kind of out there, though. I don't really know what you'd reasonably expect to steal from a car dealership that wasn't a car. They don't strike me as the kind of place that'd have cash easily available, and in worthwhile quantities. If you're trying to steal keys, I guess? But even then, why smash a car into the place when it'd probably be easier to take a bat to a door or something?

And he had just signed up for university, so the idea of him engaging in burglary when he has a potential lucrative career in sports is weird to me.

But why give benefit of the doubt to the dead teenager, when it make so much more sense to give that to the police officers, who have shown, time and time again in these situations that they exercise, caution, restraint, professionalism, and an unbiased eye when dealing with potential suspects of the black persuasion?

Please tell me the kid didn't just lose control of his car and crash into the building by accident?

And the cops just assumed he was robbing the place or on drugs being disoriented, when it was really just the trauma from the crash?

I almost want it to be a planned robbery so that it doesn't turn out the cops really are just completely fucked up assholes with no conscience.

But I am leaning in that direction.

Aselith

Please tell me the kid didn't just lose control of his car and crash into the building by accident?

And the cops just assumed he was robbing the place or on drugs being disoriented, when it was really just the trauma from the crash?

I almost want it to be a planned robbery so that it doesn't turn out the cops really are just completely fucked up assholes with no conscience.

He was definitely breaking into a car as there is security footage of him kicking in the windshield and getting in. But nothing about that or even crashing into the dealership should have been a death sentence which is what we don't have footage of.

dave is ok

aztek is ok

The building was behind security barriers and everything, it was a definite robbery but he seemed really fucked up in the security footage

The building was behind security barriers and everything, it was a definite robbery but he seemed really fucked up in the security footage

it wasn't a robbery. The kid was given some spice to smoke and when he freaked out the friends dropped him off there... Losing his mind he jumped on some cars, went inside to regain control and then was shot. The video is on the internet

Aselith

it wasn't a robbery. The kid was given some spice to smoke and when he freaked out the friends dropped him off there... Losing his mind he jumped on some cars, went inside to regain control and then was shot. The video is on the internet

He kicked in the windshield of a car and hotwired the car and then drove his car through the window.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
He drove himself to the place. Then he left the car at the gate, tried to steal some cars, then went back to his car and drove it through the window.

The video IS on the internet so it's weird you got it so wrong

The only person who could have given you the story you just related was killed, so I'm not sure where you heard any of that. I totally buy that he was on spice though

But that sounds dumb. You could kill someone. Your car could get stuck. Your car is damaged and identifiable. Who does this?

Detroit

Multiple CVS and Rite Aids. They ram a truck through the entrance. Strap a chain on the ATM and drive off

Very common robbery tactic

He kicked in the windshield of a car and hotwired the car and then drove his car through the window.

He drove himself to the place. Then he left the car at the gate, tried to steal some cars, then went back to his car and drove it through the window.

The video IS on the internet so it's weird you got it so wrong

The only person who could have given you the story you just related was killed, so I'm not sure where you heard any of that. I totally buy that he was on spice though

The toxicology report has been out for a minute hedi slimane

He was dropped off out of his mind. How many kids accept drugs for free or cheap not knowing exactly what it was? Put a person you knew in that situation. His potential did not involve breaking into some cheap ass cars or getting shot. The truth lies in a dosing that led to a horrible incident. Do I think the officer should have assessed the situation better? The camera angles do not provide us with that info. Could this been avoided if people took care of eachother in multiple ways? absolutely.

Aselith

Was he in a mental state to be dropped off and told to go home?

Please tell me more about cultural events that happened less than a mile from me, you seem to know so much more about everything.

There's a video.... He drives up in a vehicle and goes to break into the other car then he comes back to his car (that he drove to the lot in) and drives it through the window. There's no doubt he was on something and this was a terrible incident. But you acting like he got dumped on the street by the dealership is just patently false.

Regardless of all of that though, none of this is justification for him getting killed.

dave is ok

aztek is ok

Please tell me more about cultural events that happened less than a mile from me, you seem to know so much more about everything.

I have the same information you do. A video that shows him driving up to the place.

Do I think he deserves to die? Fuck no. But I don't think he went inside to 'regain control' considering he drove his car through a plate glass window.

No one know what happened inside because there isn't any video of it but my guess is that an unprepared and untested cop got jumpy and shot someone he didn't need to.

There's a video.... He drives up in a vehicle and goes to break into the other car then he comes back to his car (that he drove to the lot in) and drives it through the window. There's no doubt he was on something and this was a terrible incident. But you acting like he got dumped on the street by the dealership is just patently false.

Regardless of all of that though, none of this is justification for him getting killed.

He was dropped off after smoking things he was not aware he was smoking. I completely agree with you otherwise.

No one know what happened inside because there isn't any video of it but my guess is that an unprepared and untested cop got jumpy and shot someone he didn't need to.

This is part of the issue, could you imagine the injustice you would feel if a college friend said "hit this joint" and all of a sudden you realize its bad stuff. so they drop you off telling you to go home and you lose it? It is a horrible tragedy and all parties should be held responsible

Aselith

He was dropped off after smoking things he was not aware he was smoking. I completely agree with you otherwise.

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes here...you mean he got dropped off at his home? Because the way you're saying it, it sounds like you're saying he got dropped off at the dealership.

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes here...you mean he got dropped off at his home? Because the way you're saying it, it sounds like you're saying he got dropped off at the dealership.

No, he was dropped off back at the apartment complex the original party was at and told to go home because he could not handle the spice aka whatever was actually mixed to beat crazy drug laws at that time (endless game honestly and horribly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom