• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer kills unarmed teen that crashed into car dealership - Arlington, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite

I'll wait for a more reliable source than hollywoodlife.com, but if true that doesn't look good for the guy who got shot imo.

What I am trying to wrap my brain around... It doesn't make any sense for a single individual to commit a ram raid to steal a car.
Earlier in the thread I posted an article where it has happened before. Though from the hollywoodlife article it sounds more like breaking in and vandalizing cars than stealing.. which makes even less sense imo. I'll wait for the security cam video to be released.

I'll wait for a more reliable source than hollywoodlife.com, but if true that doesn't look good for the guy who got shot imo.
Of course, they are already digging up priors of him holding prescription drugs without a prescription to help paint a narrative. Everyone will eat it up too.

Takuan

I'm just wondering what was going through his mind. It doesn't sound as though he was being pursued prior to the crash, so what on earth could've compelled him to do what he allegedly did? Kid seemed to have his head on straight.

Earlier in the thread I posted an article where it has happened before. Though from the hollywoodlife article it sounds more like breaking in and vandalizing cars than stealing.. which makes even less sense imo. I'll wait for the security cam video to be released.

Watch this video.

According to this video. The cops shot him in less than 2 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeP-x-InzE4&feature=youtu.be

And it continues. And it will forever continue until we get some actual police reform in action.

This story is going to keep recurring. And the character shaming against the negro that got shot is going to continue. And the people who naively defend the police are going to continue supporting a racist regime. It's tiresome, but that's my country.

Patrol

Banned
I wish we had more information to go on here. Just going to let the investigation take its course.

How convenient ...

So they gave a gun to a 50 yo dude with not even 6 months of proper training and he ends up shooting an unarmed black teen ? Shocking.

Why would you even join the police at this age ? How can you pass physical training ?
I worked with man in his early 50s who was in better shape than I was. He was a prior mechanic but just got bored with the career and joined the department. He had friends who were already in the department who thought he would be a great officer so that was a big influence. I'm disheartened to see someone so quickly dismissed just on age alone.

Merc_

How can anyone trust the words of the cops? How many times now have they told a story only to have proven as bullshit due to video evidence? Hell, didn't that just happen with the Cincinnati case? Why do you guys keep giving these assholes the benefit of the doubt?

Zebra

Earlier in the thread I posted an article where it has happened before.

Even there it sounds like that individual stole keys and not a whole car, presumably to try and come back another time or to sell the keys to others. But the article is so barebones I can't really say, and the cops got to him before he even would have had the opportunity to do anything so I don't know. But the thought of ram raiding a dealership and abandoning one's own car is just an utterly baffling thought, which is why I'm skeptical.

Siegcram

Probably one of the more callous things said on GAF.

On topic, situation seems to be pure bullshittery on the cop's part, so par for the course.
Just unbelievably sad state of affairs.

kirblar

How can anyone trust the words of the cops? How many times now have they told a story only to have proven as bullshit due to video evidence? Hell, didn't that just happen with the Cincinnati case? Why do you guys keep giving these assholes the benefit of the doubt?
You don't have to trust it, but that doesn't mean you automatically believe the opposite.

Right now, there's so much conflicting information that waiting to exercise judgment is the prudent thing to do.

webkatt

Are people really saying he was smashgrabbing/ramraidig a car dealership?
A Classic Buick GMC dealership.

How many cars did he have on his person when the police showed up?

Kite

But the thought of ram raiding a dealership and abandoning one's own car is just an utterly baffling thought, which is why I'm skeptical.
That seems to be the common misunderstanding from inaccurate early reporting. I found a more reliable source and it states:

He said, however, that surveillance video shows Taylor engaged in “criminal activity” before the shooting, crashing through the dealership’s metal gate, getting out of his SUV and damaging a vehicle parked in the lot, and later driving through the showroom glass.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article30387390.html#storylink=cpy

So it seems my earlier posts about smash and grabs were wrong, sounds more like vandalism than robbery. Guy drove through a gate, damaged a car in the parking lot and drove his own car(?) through the showroom glass.. wtf?

Probably one of the more callous things said on GAF.
Why is this? I see a very big difference between cops gunning down an unarmed person just standing there and a guy getting shot while being caught in the commission of a crime and getting into a fight with the cops. The former is murder and the second is justifiable.

That seems to be the common misunderstanding from inaccurate early reporting. I found a more reliable source and it states:

So it seems my earlier posts about smash and grabs were wrong, sounds more like vandalism than robbery. Guy drove through a gate, damaged a car in the parking lot and drove his own car(?) through the showroom glass.. wtf?

That link doesn't have the video, just the PD description

Volimar

Are people really saying he was smashgrabbing/ramraidig a car dealership?
A Classic Buick GMC dealership.

How many cars did he have on his person when the police showed up?

It's not necessarily about stealing cars. There may be other items of interest there. The whole thing does seem rather suspect though.

Apt101

So the police and a video surveillance company expect us to believe that this guy rammed his way through an iron gate in his own vehicle, then through a huge glass window, got out of his vehicle, broke into and started a car (with his bare hands I suppose) but did not steal it, got back into his own vehicle and remained at the scene to hang out idling, and finally started an altercation with police within seconds of being seen (from within his vehicle at a distance no less - I suppose he was actually Mr Fantastic), an altercation so dangerous that he needed to be immediately shot.

If this is the actual narrative they're pushing, then they're no longer even bothering to come up with good lies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
People need to let the paid administrative leave go. That isn't the problem. The problem is cops aren't found responsible often enough after the investigation during their paid administrative leave.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So the police and a video surveillance company expect us to believe that this guy rammed his way through an iron gate in his own vehicle, then through a huge glass window, got out of his vehicle, broke into and started a car (with his bare hands I suppose) but did not steal it, got back into his own vehicle and remained at the scene to hang out idling, and finally started an altercation with police within seconds of being seen (from within his vehicle at a distance no less - I suppose he was actually Mr Fantastic), an altercation so dangerous that he needed to be immediately shot.

If this is the actual narrative they're pushing, then they're no longer even bothering to come up with good lies.

I'd be curious to know if drugs were involved, given the lack of history of violence from the kid.

Siegcram

Why is this? I see a very big difference between cops gunning down an unarmed person just standing there and a guy getting shot while being caught in the commission of a crime and getting into a fight with the cops. The former is murder and the second is justifiable.
Something about saying "things don't look good" for an unarmed person that got killed under dubious circumstances just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm weird that way.

patapuf

Unpaid leave and you get back wages if you are cleared.

You can't just cut the wages of a cop (or anyone really) just because you are under investigation.

Imagine it takes a few months.

There's an issue with lack of consequences in the police force - the paid leave part isn't that issue though.

Aselith

You can't just cut the wages of a cop (or anyone really) just because you are under investigation.

Imagine it takes a few months.

There's an issue with lack of consequences in the police force - the paid leave part isn't that issue though.

That's what happened when I was suspended from a job as an operator. You definitely can, they under investigation for poor conduct they shouldn't be paid until they get cleared of poor conduct.

OctoMan

Banned
That's what happened when I was suspended from a job as an operator. You definitely can, they under investigation for poor conduct they shouldn't be paid until they get cleared of poor conduct.
Your operator job was backwards thinking then.

OctoMan

Banned
That's not backwards thinking.
Yeah it absolutely is. It's a completely anti-worker stance. No idea why anyone would support it whether it's an operator job or police job. So many in this country have to live paycheck to paycheck, why strip workers of rights when no proof exists that anything went wrong, I dont know. Shocked it's such a common thought on such a "progressive' forum. A municipality or company can easily afford to pay money an extra months paycheck or whatever much more than an individual can afford to go without it.

Aselith

Yeah it absolutely is. It's a completely anti-worker stance. No idea why anyone would support it whether it's an operator job or police job. So many in this country have to live paycheck to paycheck, why strip workers of rights when no proof exists that anything went wrong, I dont know. Shocked it's such a common thought on such a "progressive' forum. A municipality or company can easily afford to pay money an extra months paycheck or whatever much more than an individual can afford to go without it.

Cops aren't put on leave when no evidence exists.

Unpaid leave and you get back wages if you are cleared.

Not particularly tenable, if you assume that cops can also be justified for a shooting. Officer will probably argue that due process protections were not in place if suspended without pay.

I do think, like many places, that the city or county should be able to recover the pay provided during administrative leave if the officer is found guilty.

There are larger problems. Lack of indictments, investigations done by the local law enforcement involved, and pre-supposition of victim guilt on the behalf of the officer, but paid leave isn't the largest issue.

Care to put some thought into that or are you just gonna go with "nuh-uh."?

Most people don't have enough cash stowed away to live for a few months to a year without getting paid.

A couple weeks, sure, no problem. But most of these things last a lot longer. I'd be alright with cops having to re-pay a certain percentage if they're found guilty of the action. Although, they'd probably be in jail for awhile, so I don't know how that'd work out.

As for this situation, I can't picture this as anything other than the kid losing control of a vehicle and crashing into the wrong place. If he really wanted to do a smash and grab well . . . that's one thing. But it just doesn't make that much sense.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Why would you crash your car into a buick dealership to steal cars? Did they find him behind the wheel of one of the cars from the dealership?

Dabanton

It's important to note that smash and grab robberies are a real thing. Usually some big vehicle through a storefront and a dozen people jump out and steal everything they can grab in a minute or two and then they are out.

But a car dealership? It just doesn't make sense to me.

It's actually very common.

Erm.. no it's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_and_grab

Smash and grabs at car dealerships or stores in general are hardly unknown. That being said, we don't know if the guy got into an accident, was drunk/high or was there to steal. Will wait for more info before freaking out.

I know all about ram raids. What I should have added is according to descriptions of this guys temperament ramming a car into a dealership window sounds pretty extreme.

He was back off on the sunday to play football. I don't know, it sounds wacky as hell someone would jeopardise all that to go and ram raid a car dealership of all places.

Volimar

That's what I keep coming back to. Dude had everything going for him, why mess with that. Fishy.

What? Yes they are. If you shoot someone, even if completely justified, it is common practice to go on leave depending on the PD.

This or temporarily reassigned.

LQX

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/08/08...-college-football-player-shot-police-officer/

"His spirit could touch your heart."

There's no way someone who did all of that would ever attack a police officer.

I hate to say this but it sort of hard to be really outraged at the death of someone that is committing a crime no matter how petty. Moreover, I hate that we starting not to discern these sort of killings from the ones where that people that are killed are genuinely Innocent.

Aselith

Not particularly tenable, if you assume that cops can also be justified for a shooting. Officer will probably argue that due process protections were not in place if suspended without pay.

I do think, like many places, that the city or county should be able to recover the pay provided during administrative leave if the officer is found guilty.

There are larger problems. Lack of indictments, investigations done by the local law enforcement involved, and pre-supposition of victim guilt on the behalf of the officer, but paid leave isn't the largest issue.

What does due process have to do with it? You don't have a right to get paid no matter what. Also, unemployment would cover these gaps so it's not like that can't apply for that.

I hate to say this but it sort of hard to be really outraged at the death of someone that is committing a crime no matter how petty. Moreover, I hate that we starting not to discern these sort of killings from the ones where that people that are killed are genuinely Innocent.

do you really hate to say it? really? and is anyone really genuinely innocent? surely there is something that can be dug up about their past to make them not genuine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom