• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer kills unarmed teen that crashed into car dealership - Arlington, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siegcram

I hate to say this but it sort of hard to be really outraged at the death of someone that is committing a crime no matter how petty. Moreover, I hate that we starting not to discern these sort of killings from the ones where that people that are killed are genuinely Innocent.
Unless you think every crime ever is punishable by death, I really don't see what's so hard about it.

I wish there was video of this . . . I can understand a cop treating a man with a ramming vehicle as a danger to others such that firing a gun would be a necessity. Cars are incredibly dangerous, and if a really strong person can be considered "armed" with their limbs alone, someone with a car, driving without respect for life, can be considered dangerous.

That said, Like I stated above, I have a hard time seeing this kid as an actual danger and feel more like he just lost control of a the car.

Aselith

What? Yes they are. If you shoot someone, even if completely justified, it is common practice to go on leave depending on the PD. This includes this PD, as mentioned in the op

It's usually administrative duty unless evidence of possible wrong doing is in evidence.

Merc_

I hate to say this but it sort of hard to be really outraged at the death of someone that is committing a crime no matter how petty. Moreover, I hate that we starting not to discern these sort of killings from the ones where that people that are killed are genuinely Innocent.

What the fuck? So you're cool with petty crimes being punishable by death? It never stops amazing me how far people are willing to go in order to cape for the police.

Yeah, death seems pretty appropriate for people who have committed minor infractions. We all know things like petty theft and marijuana usage are gateways crimes. Really no need to waste peoples' time with jury duty, kill em all and let God sort em out.

And how would you support your family in the mean time?

That's what gofundme is for.

What does due process have to do with it? You don't have a right to get paid no matter what. Also, unemployment would cover these gaps so it's not like that can't apply for that.

Hey, I didn't make this up. Employees are required to have a hearing before or quickly after suspension of pay.

http://law.justia.com/constitution/us/amendment-14/37-due-process.html
The expansion of the concept of "property rights" beyond its common law roots reflected a recognition by the Court that certain interests which fell short of traditional property rights were nonetheless important parts of people's economic well-being. For instance, where household goods were sold under an installment contract and title was retained by the seller, the possessory interest of the buyer was deemed sufficiently important to require procedural due process before repossession could occur. Or, the loss of the use of garnished wages between the time of garnishment and final resolution of the underlying suit was deemed a sufficient property interest to require some form of determination that the garnisher was likely to prevail.

-----

Every crime is punishable by death? That's horrifying.

Maximo

]I hate to say this but it sort of hard to be really outraged at the death of someone that is committing a crime no matter how petty.[/B] Moreover, I hate that we starting not to discern these sort of killings from the ones where that people that are killed are genuinely Innocent.

LOL WUT. Guess its cool for a cop to shoot you dead for jay walking then ? My god the punish mentality of some people is insane I truly don't understand.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I wish there was video of this . . . I can understand a cop treating a man with a ramming vehicle as a danger to others such that firing a gun would be a necessity. Cars are incredibly dangerous, and if a really strong person can be considered "armed" with their limbs alone, someone with a car, driving without respect for life, can be considered dangerous.

That said, Like I stated above, I have a hard time seeing this kid as an actual danger and feel more like he just lost control of a the car.
The dealership building itself isn't anywhere near the road. So he had to turn off from the i 20 and maneuver to the building, and then ram the car through it.

The story seems to indicate that he wasn't in the car when the altercation happened. But without video footage it's all a guessing game. The report is vague.

LQX

do you really hate to say it? really? and is anyone really genuinely innocent? surely there is something that can be dug up about their past to make them not genuine.

Yes, I hate to say it because it goes the grain and it just sounds wrong to to say you don't care someone died but I honestly cannot get outraged at someone getting killed committing a crime. And yes, there has been cases where people killed by the cops were genuinely Innocent like Tamir Rice. Also, when I say "genuinely innocent", I mean in that instance.

Unless you think every crime ever is punishable by death, I really don't see what's so hard about it.

Not every crime should be a cause for death but if you are committing a crime you must know it may cause your death.

Siegcram

Not every crime should be a cause for death but if you are committing a crime you must know it may cause your death.
I don't like using that word, but that is simply retarded. Please tell me you're not an adult or trolling. Give me something.

If I'm jaywalking, and a cop approaches me, and my response is to assault the cop, then yeah...I can't complain about getting shot.

The bolded is a specific outcome you have ascribed to the situation presented. Many have died for much less. I can relate those situations for you if that helps.

Coins

Banned
The bolded is a specific outcome you have ascribed to the situation presented. Many have died for much less.

Sure, like Eric Garner. That cop should be on jail for life. However, if there was a physical altercation as this situation has been reported to have, then it's hard to blame the cop.

Well that answers that.

I'm going to go ahead and assume the cops weren't justified in shooting the teen. There's absolutely no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Unless he was armed with a gun, which we know he wasn't, there's never a justification. UK cops and everywhere else handle altercations fine the good old fashioned way.

Really not sure why it always resorts to guns for US cops, seemingly even when their victims are unarmed.

Sure, like Eric Garner. That cop should be on jail for life. However, if there was a physical altercation as this situation has been reported to have, then it's hard to blame the cop.

Actually, it's quite easy. Officers should be trained in conflict resolution and appropriate force. An officer should not move directly to lethal force to deal with every situation.

Aselith

Hey, I didn't make this up. Employees are required to have a hearing before or quickly after suspension of pay.

http://law.justia.com/constitution/us/amendment-14/37-due-process.html

-----

Every crime is punishable by death? That's horrifying.

Their pay is not being garnished. Garnishment is if I work 40 hours and you pay me for 30. These cops would be being paid for zero hours for working zero hours. It is a suspension from duty.

I'm not sure how that works for salaried employees but i'm sure the union contract can be revised to account for it if need be.

Coins

Banned
Unless he was armed with a gun, which we know he wasn't, there's never a justification. UK cops and everywhere else handle alternations fine the good old fashioned way.

Really not sure why it always resorts to guns for US cops, seemingly even when their victims are unarmed.

In the UK, the cops aren't really worried that much about the criminals being armed. In the US, everyone is armed basically. That's a stupid argument you're presenting.

I would strongly reconsider what you're saying. This is literally sociopathic thinking.

Jay-walking, accidentally running a stop sign once in a blue moon, underage drinking/recreational marijuana use? You are saying each of these minor offences should come with the expectation of death. Do you even understand what you're advocating?

Maximo

If I'm jaywalking, and a cop approaches me, and my response is to assault the cop, then yeah...I can't complain about getting shot.

giphy.gif

Appalling.

But not surprising, when you have this commonplace sentiment:
I don't think this is an unusual opinion, but I do think it's wrong. A cop should be trained to diffuse a non-lethal situation without escalating to lethal force. Full stop.

In the UK, the cops aren't really worried that much about the criminals being armed. In the US, everyone is armed basically. That's a stupid argument you're presenting.

Not really. We know he wasn't armed. The officer couldn't have seen a weapon because he wasn't armed. He had no reason to shoot.

I would strongly reconsider what you're saying. This is literally sociopathic thinking.

Jay-walking, accidentally running a stop sign once in a blue moon, underage drinking/recreational marijuana use? You are saying each of these minor offences should come with the expectation of death. Do you even understand what you're advocating?
They shouldn't, but with they can and do. If you get a gun pointed at you for attending a pool party what are you going to expect to happen if a cop sees you leaving a store without paying for your Snickers?

LQX

I should clarify and say a crime where their is potential to cause harm to others like in this instance if the cops story is correct. I'm not saying you should get shot for jaywalking or pissing on a wall.

Ihyll

It's always sad to hear about someone so young with their life ahead of them being killed..but there are still a lot of things that we don't know...however if it is indeed true that he got into an altercation with the police officer then that's the reason why he got shot dead, he wasn't shot because of the crime or because he rammed his vehicle through a dealership window. He got shot because he got into an altercation with the officer.

Coins

Banned
Nope. # of people that carry is pretty small.

To a cop, everyone suspect is armed until proven otherwise. And your number of people that you're calling small is a ridiculous statement you are pulling out of your ass.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL2834893820070828

The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

Yep, that's a small amount of firearms out there.

Aselith

It's always sad to hear about someone so young with their life ahead of them being killed..but there are still a lot of things that we don't know...however if it is indeed true that he got into an altercation with the police officer then that's the reason why he got shot dead, he wasn't shot because of the crime or because he rammed his vehicle through a dealership window. He got shot because he got into an altercation with the officer.

A 1.5 second altercation

Altercation doesn't necessarily mean fist fight.

HariKari

Yep, that's a small amount of firearms out there.

How I know you don't know shit about guns: you assume everyone that owns a gun carries it on their person daily, which they obviously don't. There are 10-15 million CCW holders in this country, and a majority of them don't bring a firearm with them everywhere.

it's amazing how low a bar so many people set for how a police officer, or a group of them should act in these situations.

Coins

Banned
How I know you don't know shit about guns: you assume everyone that owns a gun carries it on their person daily, which they obviously don't. There are 10-15 million CCW holders in this country, and a majority of them don't bring a firearm with them everywhere.

Oh my bad, I forgot, every firearm in the US is only on the person of law abiding citizens. Oh wait..

http://gun.laws.com/illegal-guns/illegal-guns-statistics

86% of juveniles in correctional facilities are reported to have owned a gun at some point, all of which would have been illegal weapons for the juveniles to own. 65% of juvenile offenders tend to own three or more illegal weapons and firearms.
In Rochester, New York, there was even the reported statistic that 22% of all young males in the city, as opposed to just those who are juvenile offenders, have carried an illegal gun for some period of time. While these particular statistics are oriented around youth, it still remains fairly clear that illegal guns are very prevalent, for these young people to have such easy access to them.

Ihyll

Altercation doesn't necessarily mean fist fight.

It doesn't. But it can also mean many things that can result in the suspect grabbing a hold of the officers weapon. But again we don't know all of the facts and I'll reserve judgement. It could also very well be another case of a trigger happy cop killing another young African American male that did nothing that warrants the use of deadly force, in which case the cop should be charged with murder.

cajunator

Banned

Yeah. I have guns but I dont carry.

HariKari

Oh my bad, I forgot, every firearm in the US is only on the person of law abiding citizens. Oh wait..

Criminals carry guns? Oh sweet fuck, you got me there. That really bolsters your apologetic behavior towards police in America who are way too quick to act with lethal force. Why is it so unreasonable to ask paid, trained professionals to actually do their jobs?

Coins

Banned
Criminals carry guns? Oh sweet fuck, you got me there. That really bolsters your apologetic behavior towards police in America who are way too quick to act with lethal force. Why is it so unreasonable to ask paid, trained professionals to actually do their jobs?

How do you know he didn't do his job? We don't even know what happened, yet. Either he assaulted the cop, or the cop shot him because he thought he was armed, or the cop just shot a dude without following the rules of lethal force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom