• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer kills unarmed teen that crashed into car dealership - Arlington, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
They shouldn't, but with they can and do. If you get a gun pointed at you for attending a pool party what are you going to expect to happen if a cop sees you leaving a store without paying for your Snickers?

I can't say that I would ever expect that to happen until I saw that story, which sadly enough, though not surprisingly, also happened in Texas.

I should clarify and say a crime where their is potential to cause harm to others like in this instance if the cops story is correct. I'm not saying you should get shot for jaywalking or pissing on a wall.

Well, assuming the police are to be believed (which is a pretty large assumption at this point), then I do agree that one should expect a harsh response by the police when committing a crime like this, but you specifically said "...no matter how petty," which means exactly what it says. Regardless of whether it should be expected or not doesn't mean we should find it acceptable. Doesn't matter if he was truly trying to burglarize the dealership, the immediate judgement should not not be death by gunshot. Why even bother with courts then?

HariKari

How do you know he didn't do his job? We don't even know what happened, yet. Either he assaulted the cop, or the cop shot him because he thought he was armed, or the cop just shot a dude without following the rules of lethal force.

Two out of those three scenarios are a complete failure on the part of the police. The first one could also be a failure, depending on how it happened. I reject the notion that police cannot deal with unarmed subjects without lethal force. Only one officer fired, so that tells me that this kid didn't get out of his car and rush the officers.

Unarmed people shouldn't be shot dead unless they are somehow a serious threat to others. We don't know what happened, but we know someone who was unarmed was shot dead by the police. Police can do better and we should expect better.

n64coder

Unless he was armed with a gun, which we know he wasn't, there's never a justification. UK cops and everywhere else handle altercations fine the good old fashioned way.

Really not sure why it always resorts to guns for US cops, seemingly even when their victims are unarmed.

So how do the UK cops handle this type of situation where there is an altercation? Billy clubs, mace, fists?

Is there ever an issue where the UK cop uses excessive force? Is that common?

Maximo

In the UK, the cops aren't really worried that much about the criminals being armed. In the US, everyone is armed basically. That's a stupid argument you're presenting.

Do you have evidence to back up this statement ?

If being a US Cop is harder/more dangerous then other countries then why aren't US Cops trained better and more strict on people getting a job as a cop?
US Cops should have a harder training syllabus, stricter checks on their mentality aswell as multiple psych evaluations yearly, trained to better assess situations. Of course Cops would be better paid and compensated properly for these changes.
Instead you get guns nuts, people obsessed with power, bullies, and all kinds of mentally disturbed people who turn the police force into a racist/sexist/homophobic boys frat house were everyone covers for each others back.

Cops would have less to worry about if people weren't so paranoid everytime a cop turns up, Cops need to be given more respect but that can't fucking happen when you still have these kinds of people in the police force ruining it for everyone.

Aselith

Do you have evidence to back up this statement ?

If being a US Cop is harder/more dangerous then other countries then why aren't US Cops trained better and more strict on people getting a job as a cop?
US Cops should have a harder training syllabus, stricter checks on their mentality aswell as multiple psych evaluations yearly, trained to better assess situations. Of course Cops would be better paid and compensated properly for these changes.
Instead you get guns nuts, people obsessed with power, bullies, and all kinds of mentally disturbed people who turn the police force into a racist/sexist/homophobic boys frat house were everyone covers for each others back.

Cops would have less to worry about if people weren't so paranoid everytime a cop turns up, Cops need to be given more respect but that can't fucking happen when you still have these kinds of people in the police force ruining it for everyone.

https://top5ofanything.com/list/de09aa45/Countries-with-the-Most-Guns-(firearms)-Per-Capita

So how do the UK cops handle this type of situation where there is an altercation? Billy clubs, mace, fists?

They usually talk people down who are being aggressive, resorting to arm locks and/or pinning them to the ground if necessary. There's almost always at least two though as "on the beat" officers travel in pairs. I guess that helps.

I'm sure there are cases of excessive force (or perceived excessive force) but I don't think it's particularly common.

Edit: Oh, and sometimes tasers. That would be an extreme situation though.

Jezbollah

I cant tell you if it's common or not, just that our normal cops arent armed - and excessive force very rarely results in a death. Our police have tasers and other tools designed to apprehend criminals - and they are trained to use them to their best judgement.

Not every crime should be a cause for death but if you are committing a crime you must know it may cause your death.

Yes, ok, you may well die when committing any crime, and I think everyone knows that chance exists, but the theme of all these recent cop shootings of late is wether or not that should be the expectation so often, specifically for people of color.

What purpose can it serve to point out the foolishness of expecting cops to follow the rules of engagement? Current events have placed the spotlight of conversation on the actions of cops, not criminals.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm pretty curious what exactly happened here. What was the kid trying to do? Guessing he was drunk out of his mind and going through some kind of personal issue.

Aselith

He said *Everyone is packing* This doesn't prove that "everyone" has a gun with them regardless of the situation, the teenager in this very article didn't have a gun on him.

It proves that everyone could have a gun. Which regardless of actual fact certainly effects how you perceive situations.

Patrol

Banned
Two out of those three scenarios are a complete failure on the part of the police. The first one could also be a failure, depending on how it happened. I reject the notion that police cannot deal with unarmed subjects without lethal force. Only one officer fired, so that tells me that this kid didn't get out of his car and rush the officers.

Unarmed people shouldn't be shot dead unless they are somehow a serious threat to others. We don't know what happened, but we know someone who was unarmed was shot dead by the police. Police can do better and we should expect better.

It's always a case-by-case basis. The notion of "unarmed" has now been sensationalized an "innocent" persona, as if being unarmed cannot warrant deadly force. The truth of the matter is that there are always facts and circumstances (totality) which may lead down that dark path. It's a difficult notion to digest, but not every action is unreasonable.

Unfortunately, with a bare minimum amount of facts being present in this case, jumping to condemn the officer is not the wisest course of action.

PSYGN

Is it just me or does the guy sound a little crazy on Twitter the more you scroll? He didn't deserve to die. Punished, but not killed. Talk about jumping the gun.

Boke1879

What the hell was this kid thinking?

Guess we'll never know

Based on the video it seems he was acting very ignorant. Don't know what he was tring to accomplish.

Also him driving through the game seemed pretty tame. He didn't "crash" through anything did he? At most he should have been arrested. I've seen college kids do just as bad or worse. None of them end up dead.

If a taser was deployed that should have been the end of it. Why the need to shoot 4 times?

Al-ibn Kermit

It looks like he was trying to break into cars or just damage the cars for fun. Should have been arrested but no violent force could be justified unless he attacked the cops but you can't see anything after he drives his car into the showroom.

Aselith

It looks like he was trying to break into cars or just damage the cars for fun. Should have been arrested but no violent force could be justified unless he attacked the cops but you can't see anything after he drives his car into the showroom.

Yeah but if he was going to drive a car into the showroom you'd think he'd use the car that he gotten running that he had already damaged. It's REALLY weird to go back and use his own car to drive into it.

I have a feeling he had some very serious mental illness or drug problem going on. This is like meth-type actions.

He should not have had to die for it though this stuff is minor jail time/probation kinda stuff.

Apt101

Ah, well, he certainly looked to be on something. Or possibly vandalizing the place for some reason? Ex-employer?

In any event, I wonder why there's no video of the shooting. Did it take place near the entrance, or am I turned around in my head?

Edit: nm, shitty wifi, skipped the part showing their location prior

Based on the video it seems he was acting very ignorant. Don't know what he was tring to accomplish.

Also him driving through the game seemed pretty tame. He didn't "crash" through anything did he? At most he should have been arrested. I've seen college kids do just as bad or worse. None of them end up dead.

If a taser was deployed that should have been the end of it. Why the need to shoot 4 times?

You've seen college kids smash the window of a car and then drive through the front of a dealership?

Secondly, tasers are not 100% effective. If the barbs don't stick in right its not going to anything.

Al-ibn Kermit

Yeah but if he was going to drive a car into the showroom you'd think he'd use the car that he gotten running that he had already damaged. It's REALLY weird to go back and use his own car to drive into it.

I have a feeling he had some very serious mental illness or drug problem going on. This is like meth-type actions.

He should not have had to die for it though this stuff is minor jail time/probation kinda stuff.

I don't think I saw him start the car but he was able to get inside of one by going through the windshield. To actually hotwire a modern car is not easy.

He didn't look high or drunk to me but there's no way to tell from a video. It's also possible that he had an argument or something with the owner of the lot and just did that to get back at the guy, teenage males often will destroy property for no reason. My first guess wouldn't be mental illness just because he seems to have been a well liked guy.

Do kids these days use drugs like PCP? It would be really fucking sad if someone gave him a wet or dosed him with something he was not prepared for, some people are dumbasses like that.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Yeah it is from what we could see in the video, but I wanna see what happened in the showroom.

I mean, there had to be cameras in there, right?

KHarvey16

I don't think I saw him start the car but he was able to get inside of one by going through the windshield. To actually hotwire a modern car is not easy.

I think he might have turned the headlights on, which would make the rear lights come on like you see in the video.

Boke1879

You've seen college kids smash the window of a car and then drive through the front of a dealership?

Secondly, tasers are not 100% effective. If the barbs don't stick in right its not going to anything.

So he deserved to be shot 4 times even though he was unarmed?

and yes I've seen college kids literally destroy property. I've also seen sports fanatics literally riot when a team wins. Cops don't kill them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Unfortunately there is no video, so we don't know what happened inside the dealership.

SSJ Black Kid, dehumanizing stare, dumbass cop with shit training.

Lets just start calling it the #5

I disagree with that, and would say that's the biggest problem with our law enforcement officers. Officers, especially when it's a situation where there are multiple cops and only one suspect, should be able to subdue an unarmed suspect without the use of guns.

Cops are using guns as an everyday tool, rather than a last resort.

HariKari

It's always a case-by-case basis. The notion of "unarmed" has now been sensationalized an "innocent" persona, as if being unarmed cannot warrant deadly force. The truth of the matter is that there are always facts and circumstances (totality) which may lead down that dark path. It's a difficult notion to digest, but not every action is unreasonable.

Unfortunately, with a bare minimum amount of facts being present in this case, jumping to condemn the officer is not the wisest course of action.

I'd take you a lot more seriously if this post wasn't recited verbatim in every police thread, even in ones where the excessive force is obvious and disgusting.

as if being unarmed cannot warrant deadly force

If a bunch of grown ass men can't take down an unarmed kid, they shouldn't be police officers.

Acrylic7

Kid was acting very strange form the video. He might have been on something.
I hope they have cameras in the room.

Guns are stupid.

Allowing everyone to own a gun is stupid.

Requiring police to have guns is stupid.

Another your life wasted smh

what?

If a bunch of grown ass men can't take down an unarmed kid, they shouldn't be police officers.

well 19 is an adult even though he was young... and an athlete.
When I was 19 I was a beast and I'm pretty sure I could handle 2 adults on my own. Not trying to justify the cops actions I'm just saying.

HariKari

well 19 is an adult even though he was young... and an athlete.
When I was 19 I was a beast and I'm pretty sure I could handle 2 adults on my own. Not trying to justify the cops actions I'm just saying.

Handle? Handle two+ guys that have guns drawn on you? Are you Jason Bourne? I understand that certain drugs make for tough individuals to deal with but the simplest explanation here is that the guy who shot him - a guy who graduated from the academy at 49 in march - had improper or insufficient training.

Acrylic7

Handle? Handle two+ guys that have guns drawn on you? Are you Jason Bourne? I understand that certain drugs make for tough individuals to deal with but the simplest explanation here is that the guy who shot him - a guy who graduated from the academy at 49 in march - had improper or insufficient training.

Well we don't know what happened inside yet. The way the kid was acting he may have rushed them or panicked or something. Cops go into situations with their guns already drawn for their protection.
We really need that room video.

Patrol

Banned
I'd take you a lot more seriously if this post wasn't recited verbatim in every police thread, even in ones where the excessive force is obvious and disgusting.

We look at things through different lenses, I will call something excessive if that is the case. Something which may appear excessive to your eyes, may actually be a simple misunderstanding of procedure/control.

Committing a crime in Texas seems to be about the dumbest thing you can do. Sure, nobody deserves to die for vandalism and/or burglary but unfortunately there are a lot of things that shouldn't be the way there are in this world. You have to use your fucken head.

RIP, kid.

Al-ibn Kermit

SSJ Black Kid, dehumanizing stare, dumbass cop with shit training.

Lets just start calling it the #5

I disagree with that, and would say that's the biggest problem with our law enforcement officers. Officers, especially when it's a situation where there are multiple cops and only one suspect, should be able to subdue an unarmed suspect without the use of guns.

Cops are using guns as an everyday tool, rather than a last resort.

In an ideal scenario yeah, but if he did attack (and I don't see any reason to believe he did) then I would understand why he got shot. I wouldn't consider the officer to be in the wrong if they were in that situation although it could be their fault for letting a suspect get that close to them.

Nothing about this makes me question the protocol they have so much as just the culture where a lot officers have fear of every black man they interact with. And I'm guessing the reason that society is caring more isn't because the problem is getting bigger, but that video evidence exposes the cases that would normally get covered up, such as the South Carolina cop who shot Walter Scott and planted a gun to try to make it look justified.

Do kids these days use drugs like PCP? It would be really fucking sad if someone gave him a wet or dosed him with something he was not prepared for, some people are dumbasses like that.

Cops are really falling down on the job. I guess this cop messed up because he was still in training.

Every cop should carry a few grams of weed, a few crack rocks, and a dose of PCP large enough that, if ingested, would make a person wild the fuck out. That way when they kill an unarmed black male , they can just sprinkle some of that shit on him.

With that single act, all the people who are cop apologists and looking for reasons a black male, usually unarmed, who cops accuse of a crime that would end in arrest, or perhaps a strong talking to, for a white person 9 out of 10 times, is gunned down within seconds of white cops arriving on the scene, can have something solid and tangible to point to.

Also, given recent cop behavior, it is shocking to me that all these black males, often unarmed and minding their own business or simply mistaken for another black person (all black people look alike so it is an understandable mistake I assume) have not evolved to the point where they can preemptively surrender to police, or at least surrender in the 2 seconds they have to live after the cops show up. I suppose if you can't do that, you don't deserve to live. Evolution. Survival of the fittest. Law of the jungle.

Instead of police reform, maybe blacks should get a shit load of that skin bleaching cream and simply bleach the problems away. At the very least, lighter, near white skin may give them longer than two seconds to live in random cop encounters. Evolve or die.

Cops are really falling down on the job. I guess this cop messed up because he was still in training.

Every cop should carry a few grams of weed, a few crack rocks, and a dose of PCP large enough that, if ingested, would make a person wild the fuck out. That way when they kill an unarmed black male , they can just sprinkle some of that shit on him.

With that single act, all the people who are cop apologists and looking for reasons a black male, usually unarmed, who cops accuse of a crime that would end in arrest, or perhaps a strong talking to, for a white person 9 out of 10 times, is gunned down within seconds of white cops arriving on the scene, can have something solid and tangible to point to.

Also, given recent cop behavior, it is shocking to me that all these black males, often unarmed and minding their own business or simply mistaken for another black person (all black people look alike so it is an understandable mistake I assume) have not evolved to the point where they can preemptively surrender to police, or at least surrender in the 2 seconds they have to live after the cops show up. I suppose if you can't do that, you don't deserve to live. Evolution. Survival of the fittest. Law of the jungle.

Instead of police reform, maybe blacks should get a shit load of that skin bleaching cream and simply bleach the problems away. At the very least, lighter, near white skin may give them longer than two seconds to live in random cop encounters. Evolve or die.

I'm not really following what you are saying. I am talking about the probability of a kid being dosed by his dumbass friends with a wet of some other shit to act like a fucking manic. He did not deserve to die, but people think it's funny to dose their friends with dangerous drugs under the guise of a joint or bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom