• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer kills unarmed teen that crashed into car dealership - Arlington, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc_

It sure is nice that there isn't any video of the shooting and all we have to go on is the cops word.

Seems like it could go either way in this one. Withholding judgment.

It's actually very common.

If it was a robbery,
stuff like that happens unfortunately. :/

If it was just him having a car accident,
then getting shot for it, well, that's sad. :(

That being said, we don't know if the guy got into an accident, was drunk/high or was there to steal. Will wait for more info before freaking out.

Does it really matter though?

Of course not, but a narrative has to be set from the start to justify murder.

People do. There was a rash of them in the Chicago area over this past holiday. Started with just smashing windows but escalates to taking a van and driving it into the building. People aren't using their own cars mind you. That would be silly.

Guess I'd make a pretty bad criminal then

El Odio

Banned
Even if he was robbing the place that's suddenly a justifiable reason to kill him? If any crime at this point is punishable by death why the fuck do we have prisons?

Boke1879

According to this guy who spoke to witnesses at the dealership, he is saying that he was shot while in his Jeep and THEN drove through the glass window. Reminds me of the Cincinnati shooting. Kill the driver and use their dead body driving away as an excuse why shots were fired.

Yea he did say that towards the end but that was just his speculation.

Something doesn't add up though. I know crazier things have happened but why would an athlete who seemed to be heading in the right direction go to a car dealership in broad daylight to steal a car. Not to mention crashing his own vehicle into the store. Shit does't add up.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
According to this guy who spoke to witnesses at the dealership, he is saying that he was shot while in his Jeep and THEN drove through the glass window. Reminds me of the Cincinnati shooting. Kill the driver and use their dead body driving away as an excuse why shots were fired.

That makes no sense given the police were called out to investigate the crash (I assume?) in the first place.

That makes no sense given the police were called out to investigate the crash (I assume?) in the first place.
I think the cops were called to investigate him stealing a mustang and smashing out the window of the mustang, not the shop. Thats according to that video I quoted though.
No idea about his credibility.

Boke1879

If you listen to the video according to the guy the security video company is who called the police and they claimed that the guy broke a car window, got in, Got it started, but then excited the vehicle and was just walking around.

That's why a lot of people are saying this doesn't add up.

If this is all true. Cops definitely got faulty info but to open fire on someone so quick is just ridiculous on it's own.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
No cameras in the dealership. That seems strange.

This whole thing fucking stinks like it's always stank tho.

TS-08

The cop who identifies the teen right before the shooting describes him, I think (quality of the recording isn't the best), as being inside the building. So on that specific point, it seems like the crash into the building would have already happened.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Going LETHAL must absolutely MUST not be a first resort option anymore.

bunch of fucking judge dredd's is what we got out here now. pussies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
So, in the year 2015, someone drove a car through a storefront and there's NO video of it? Riiiiiiiiiighhhhht...

cdyhybrid

The best way to break in, rob someone, and get out cleanly is definitely to drive a car through a building. Wouldn't attract attention at all!

Aside from the alleged car robbery in progress. I'm curious as to why the cop felt like his life was in such immediate danger that he used lethal force.

With the advent of social media and YouTube, we are seeing this more often than not but does someone have any statistics of this getting worse?

Lime

Fuck stupid posts.

By "white supremacy" I do not mean to allude only to the self-conscious racism of white supremacist hate groups. I refer instead to a political, economic and cultural system in which whites overwhelmingly control power and material resources, conscious and unconscious ideas of white superiority and entitlement are widespread, and relations of white dominance and non-white subordination are daily reenacted across a broad array of institutions and social settings.

White supremacy is the reason why non-white people get shot and killed. As mumei put it:

Mmhm.

"Police racial prejudice" is just part of larger societal prejudices; it isn't unique to (and I'm not even sure it's exceptional in) police. And even where individual police officers are not themselves racist, the incentives built into the system ensures that people simply acting in their own best interest will result in the sort of racial disparities we see. They don't need to be motivated by racism for racist outcomes to be the result.

Maybe he was texting, dat generation!

Edit : Yup, poor kid was sure as hell shot on instant sight and drove through the dealership due to that action. "What happened to freeze?", exactly.

Zebra

What I am trying to wrap my brain around... It doesn't make any sense for a single individual to commit a ram raid to steal a car. From what I can tell there is no indication there was anyone else with him. So play it out in your head: you take your own car to a dealership. You steal another car, and.. leave your own car there? Your car that ties you directly to the crime? There is no possible way someone would do that expecting to get away with it, and from the sounds of it he seemed pretty optimistic and hopeful about the future. Are there times that this has happened in the past of people ram raiding and intentionally leaving their personal vehicle?

We still need more info but the carjacking story just doesn't make sense to me. Something is off.

Aselith

What I am trying to wrap my brain around... It doesn't make any sense for a single individual to commit a ram raid to steal a car. From what I can tell there is no indication there was anyone else with him. So play it out in your head: you take your own car to a dealership. You steal another car, and.. leave your own car there? Your car that ties you directly to the crime? There is no possible way someone would do that expecting to get away with it, and from the sounds of it he seemed pretty optimistic and hopeful about the future. Are there times that this has happened in the past of people ram raiding and leaving their personal vehicle?

We still need more info but the carjacking story just doesn't make sense to me. Something is off.

Yeah, ram raids are as far as I know usually to steal easily carried items like you ram it into an electronics store and steal some TV's or whatever. The only way doing this to a car dealership would make sense if you knew for sure where they kept the keys to the cars and knew it was not locked. Doing that on a guess would be insane.

The first reaction to any story like this should be to question any official statement made by the police. I think its been proven that they can't be trusted. They will always push a narrative to justify their actions no matter what the case is.

Maridia

What I am trying to wrap my brain around... It doesn't make any sense for a single individual to commit a ram raid to steal a car. From what I can tell there is no indication there was anyone else with him. So play it out in your head: you take your own car to a dealership. You steal another car, and.. leave your own car there? Your car that ties you directly to the crime? There is no possible way someone would do that expecting to get away with it, and from the sounds of it he seemed pretty optimistic and hopeful about the future. Are there times that this has happened in the past of people ram raiding and intentionally leaving their personal vehicle?

It's a suspected burglary. Any time an alarm goes off at a closed business, it's instantly a suspected burglary, just because that's usually why people break into businesses at night. If the victim here ran his car into the business for any reason, setting off the alarm in the process, the cops would be responding as though it were a burglary in progress. Please note that burglary is not typically punishable by death, and this is not a defense of the police.

Zebra

It's a suspected burglary. Any time an alarm goes off at a closed business, it's instantly a suspected burglary, just because that's usually why people break into businesses at night. If the victim here ran his car into the business for any reason, setting off the alarm in the process, the cops would be responding as though it were a burglary in progress. Please note that burglary is not typically punishable by death, and this is not a defense of the police.

Judging by the dispatch audio the security firm that called him in was claiming he was trying to steal a silver car. So that's the "story" and it doesn't make sense.

Only read the OP but so basically there's little info out? Let's all jump to conclusions
that works both ways for the record

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/08/08...-college-football-player-shot-police-officer/

Surveillance video appears to show Christian crashing through the dealership’s metal gate, getting out of his SUV and damaging a vehicle in the parking lot, according to the Star-Telegram. He was later seen driving through the showroom glass. When police approached Christian, a scuffle began. “The officers went and confronted him,” Police Sgt. Paul Rodriguez told the AP. “There was an altercation. An officer discharged his weapon and struck the suspect.” Christian was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:47 a.m.

"His spirit could touch your heart."

There's no way someone who did all of that would ever attack a police officer.

What the fuck does it matter if he was trying to rob the place. Cops should not just be killing people, especially unarmed people. Bunch of fucking pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom