• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer shoots unarmed man to death in Cincinnati traffic stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coins

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/us/cincinnati-police-shooting/index.html

According to the Cincinnati Police Department, which is handling the investigation, Tensing saw Dubose driving without a front license plate around 6:30 Sunday evening and tried to pull him over. Police said Dubose continued for about a mile before stopping the car.

Tensing asked several times to see Dubose's driver's license, Cincinnati police said. Instead, police said, Dubose handed the officer a bottle of alcohol.

According to police, Tensing asked Dubose to step out of the car, at which point a struggle ensued.

"There was a struggle at the door with Mr. Dubose in the vehicle and the officer outside the vehicle, and the vehicle sped away," Cincinnati police Lt. Col. James Whalen told reporters.

Tensing fired a single shot, hitting the driver in the head. Tensing fell to the ground as he fired the shot, bruising his legs and tearing his uniform, Cincinnati police said.

It appeared that Dubose did not have a weapon, according to police.

So the cop was wearing a body cam and they also have security cam footage. It will be made available after the investigation. I wonder of University police officers get the same kind of training as regular police officers.

If there was a stubble then the officer could probably argue that it was self defence or something? I still think that would be bullshit, but that's what will probably happen. It's hard to judge these situations without seeing a video.

Still, it's sad.

Kathian

Banned
Driving away; I mean if he was turning I guess the officer could argue defence but honestly this just strikes me as a good example of the lack of proper Police training.

This is what I started to write but now am confused; he fell to the ground but his vehicle 'sped away' - I take it it actually means 'slowly began to move away'? In which case this is much more of a deliberate act.

Striek

It's not

There are far more police shootings in Brazil for example.

It's that the ones in the US are rightly questioned and highlighted
Tbh when those comparisons are made its generally meant to be why is it happening in the US and not other first world, wealthy nations.

msv

Wait, was the cop being dragged along/holding on to the vehicle when it sped away? The article seems to imply it, sort of, why else would he fall after shooting someone?

Velcro Fly

Jesus how do you go from scuffle to shooting someone that fast. And for driving away? Sounds like the dude might have been drunk and didn't want to get a DUI but damn. Had to be another way besides shooting him.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's important to remember the true victim here. That being Officer Tensing. Poor guy bruised his legs AND teared his uniform, what a rough day :/

Chariot

Why is this even in the article
Maybe because the cop looked pretty rough afterwards, but not from the struggle but because the weapon was too powerful for him. I think it's jmportant to note that he hurt himself and wasn't hurt by the victim.

EGM1966

Why have so many US offices lost all ability to restrain with sensible use of force vs excessive use of force? This is just stupid. Why would you shot at someone in this circumstance? That's just ridiculous.

Joni

The article is quite unclear on how all this played out, especially with contradicting stuff like the vehicle sped away and the driver fell dead to the ground. That is strange if he is in a speeding car. We'll really need to see the body cam footage in this case.

_Nemo

Why is this an American-specific phenomenon? :/

Who cares lawl it's da greast country evar

Move_fbbe7d_2459319.gif

Chariot

The article is quite unclear on how all this played out, especially with contradicting stuff like the vehicle sped away and the driver fell dead to the ground. That is strange if he is in a speeding car. We'll really need to see the body cam footage in this case.
The driver didn't fall, the cop did.

While the guy was definitely in the wrong, why the fuck did the officer fire at him? I thought they were only supposed to shoot in self-defence or to protect people in immediate danger?

Aww he scuffed his clothes and bruised his knee. Vital information ofcourse. Goddamn killers

Yeah, that's a weird aspect to note.

Velcro Fly

It could be included to show that it didn't happen during the scuffle or as someone else pointed out he might have been caught in the car/being dragged by the car.

Xando

These articles always make me question office training in the US. Why does he have to shoot him? if this happened in germany the officer would have knocked the guy out with his baton. No need to shoot him unless he has a knife or some other gun.

Also are officers in the US working alone? Here in Germany there are always atleast two incase something like this happens.

These articles always make me question office training in the US. Why does he have to shoot him? if this happened in germany the officer would have knocked the guy out with his baton. No need to shoot him unless he has a knife or some other gun.

Also are officers in the US working alone? Here in Germany there are always atleast two incase something like this happens.

Exact same over here. You'll never see one police officer by themselves, and if the police shot and killed someone over a driving offence there would be literally be rioting as a direct result.

But really at this point may as well just have an "American Police Shootings |OT|" thread.

I was gonna suggest a whole sub-forum for these stories. It's crazy how regularly this shit happens. I was just reading on the BBC this morning about a woman who was arrested for no fucking reason and the officer bashed her head on the pavement while doing it, and then she died in jail three days later as a result and they're trying to frame it as suicide.

GAMING
  • Community

OFF TOPIC
  • Community
  • Police Killings

Chariot

Exact same over here. You'll never see one police officer by themselves, and if the police shot and killed someone over a driving offence there would be literally be rioting as a direct result.
When Benno Ohnesorg was shot by a policeman during a demonstration in Germany, 1967, where police generally participated in violence againdt civilists, there weren't only protests, Germany had to fight years of terror attacks and was forced to reform the police. Here a scene from the movie Baader-Meinhof-Komplex that depicts the event:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuYzhk5He0

Always makes my blood boil.

Protome

So he shot at a car speeding away, presumably there was other traffic too?
Ignoring the man he killed, who was admittedly putting people's lives in danger, how many people's lives were put in danger by the maniac shooting into traffic?

Bet he's really happy with getting a headshot on a speeding target though.

Moff

what the hell is wrong in this country? proud police officers bruising their kness when they shoot traffic offenders in the head?

KHlover

Banned
What happened to writing down the license number and inviting someone to a court date? Incredibly sad that even a violent chase would have been a better outcome here.

Gattsu25

Banned
So....where would that bullet had gone if the officer missed?

Also, did the officer attempt to open the door to the car directly after giving the order to step outside, or only after the deceased refused to comply with that order?

When Benno Ohnesorg was shot by a policeman during a demonstration in Germany, 1967, where police generally participated in violence againdt civilists, there weren't only protests, Germany had to fight years of terror attacks and was forced to reform the police. Here a scene from the movie Baader-Meinhof-Komplex that depicts the event:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuYzhk5He0

Always makes my blood boil.

That was a great movie. Too bad the revelation the cop was a Stasi agent was not known when they made it, it would have been an interesting twist.

minx

Not really sure he fired his weapon unless he has being dragged by the vehicle which doesn't appear to be the case, however the article is vague. Our policy is that if a DUI driver doesn't stop or takes off on us to just pass it on the the next town until the driver either crashes or stops somewhere. Video should make things much more clear.

Newlove

Oh shit someone with alcohol in their car and a missing front number plate is being uncooperative and is driving away...better shoot to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom