• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer shoots unarmed man to death in Cincinnati traffic stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
You don't really want a drunk driver speeding off or causing a high speed chase endangering others, but I still don't see how this officer thought his best option was firing a shot either.
He probably panicked when he realized the car started moving and he was being dragged and pulled his gun out. I'm guessing he wasn't the most seasoned officer considering he was campus police.

HeySeuss

Its entirely possible that the shooting is justified. If the struggle to get the door open resulted in the officers arm or part of his uniform got caught in the door when the guy shut it and started to drive off with the cop stuck in the door it would be perfectly justified to shoot the driver.

If the struggle was at the window and the guy held onto the door and inadvertently pinned the officers arm on the window as he pulled away it would still be justified.

The fact that he only shot once could mean he shot and fell backwards or was falling backwards as he fell. After he's on the ground and the car is going down the road it is no longer a lethal force situation so he should have stopped shooting like he did.

But on the other hand it could be a completely unjustified shooting as well. Once the video comes out we'll see. But people need to understand that there are reasons that it could be justified instead of spouting the typical cop-murderer bullshit that these threads always have by drive by posters that don't even bother to look deeper into it.

Yes there is a huge problem with inherent bias and racism in policing. It is finally coming to the forefront of training within the police community. Its not the solution but its a start. But rolling your eyes and having outrage when we don't even have the facts yet only makes things worse.

Ayt

Banned
It says he fired the shot while falling. At this same time the driver was pulling away. If you reach into a car to possibly stop someone from driving away there are plenty of ways to get caught up.

I'm just trying to work with what we are given in the article and give another possible angle rather than just "white cop shot dude cause he was black".

Of course I can be 100% wrong, but I don't want to jump to conclusions like that and would rather wait for the evidence to present itself.

You don't want to jump to conclusions and would rather wait for evidence yet you are making up shit out of thin air in this thread to justify the killing and make the cop look better?

Seems like the situation where that cop shot the man running away from him...only this time the suspect was driving away. Just a lot less bullets.

I'll wait for the video.

quickwhips

He probably panicked when he realized the car started moving and he was being dragged and pulled his gun out. I'm guessing he wasn't the most seasoned officer considering he was campus police.

You have no clue what your talking about I know campus officers that go through the same training academy as other state officers. They also work the job 20+ years.

HeySeuss

You don't want to jump to conclusions and would rather wait for evidence yet you are making up shit out of thin air in this thread to justify the killing and make the cop look better?

I don't know if he's a cop, but I am and I can think of a bunch of scenarios where the cop would be completely justified for shooting the driver.

I can also think of reasons why he wouldn't be. But thinking logically about reasons isn't "making shit up out of thin air" like you say.

HeySeuss

You have no clue what your talking about I know campus officers that go through the same training academy as other state officers. They also work the job 20+ years.

Actually most of the campus police officers get more training than most other police departments because they have better budgets and school shootings are something that campus officers would be the first responders to, so it becomes even more critical that they are properly trained and trained often.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Its entirely possible that the shooting is justified. If the struggle to get the door open resulted in the officers arm or part of his uniform got caught in the door when the guy shut it and started to drive off with the cop stuck in the door it would be perfectly justified to shoot the driver.

If the struggle was at the window and the guy held onto the door and inadvertently pinned the officers arm on the window as he pulled away it would still be justified.

The fact that he only shot once could mean he shot and fell backwards or was falling backwards as he fell. After he's on the ground and the car is going down the road it is no longer a lethal force situation so he should have stopped shooting like he did.

But on the other hand it could be a completely unjustified shooting as well. Once the video comes out we'll see. But people need to understand that there are reasons that it could be justified instead of spouting the typical cop-murderer bullshit that these threads always have by drive by posters that don't even bother to look deeper into it.

Yes there is a huge problem with inherent bias and racism in policing. It is finally coming to the forefront of training within the police community. Its not the solution but its a start. But rolling your eyes and having outrage when we don't even have the facts yet only makes things worse.

Amazing.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Even if campus officers are trained the same (or better) than your typical city cop, their day to day job is much different and involves much different types of calls.

eot

Banned
For those saying that he should have let him drive away and give chase, is that really wise?

Dude was obviously super drunk. Probably not a great idea to let him roam the streets at high speeds where he could have killed innocent people.

Would you have the same stance if the drunk guy sped away and killed a young family during the chase by crashing into them?

Sure the driver didn't have a gun, but a 4,000 lbs of speeding metal is a deadly weapon itself.

We can't truly assess the situation until the video is released.

Holy shit dude, the police's job isn't to fucking gun down anyone who is being disorderly.

Stop shooting us.

Who do you protect?

Chase-Police-State.jpg

Husker86

I hate the requirement for two plates, especially when motorcycles are exempt from this requirement. It should be rear plate only in all states.

Velcro Fly

To who? Cops or Nazis?

hahaha are you fucking serious

pick up a fucking history book, read about the holocaust, and feel bad for trivializing it by trying to make a sarcastic point.

then write me a 500 word essay on how you won't ever compare anything to the Nazis or Hitler again and why doing so is always a terrible idea

Link

The Autumn Wind
Well we do know that he's been in trouble with the law at least 61 times, and that in this instance may have been driving under the influence and decided to try to run from the cops.

Was the officer justified in firing his weapon? We'll see once the video comes out, I guess. I do think it's a little funny to assume the worst of the cop and the best of the 60-time arrestee though.
Yeah, not like we should hold our cops to a higher standard or anything.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He was drunk.

There was no other option, legal or otherwise, than to shoot him.

You assume he's drunk, so did I. But nowhere is it stated that the office thought he was drunk, just that he was handed a bottle of gin (and the bottle looks to be sealed).

I also have to imagine if the police know the Blood Alcohol Level of the man by now, and if he were drunk, it would have been stated he was drunk. Because I would even agree, a drunk guy who is about to take off in a car is a danger to others. But that does not appear to be the case at all.

Yeah guys, we have a video of him murdering a guy in cold blood for no reason, but let's
not rush to judgement. Let's sit back and wait for the system to work its magic.

akira28

I can't believe it. The cop told him to hand him the bottle of gin. But the report and the news story days ago said he asked for a ID and was handed a bottle of gin instead.

I am just at a complete loss for words, thoughts, anything. It's all fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom