• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer shoots unarmed man to death in Cincinnati traffic stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

It's sad I knew the color of the man's skin from the title alone.

In most states, yes:

XX_REQU_USA.gif

Oh i see, I live in Georgia so I only seen vanity front plates

Klyka

Banned
That tragic ending to this is horrible.

I do want to see the body cam video, the actions described in the OP just seem weird.
Like, he hands the cop a bottle of alcohol? He just drives off?
Was he like, drunk or didn't care or what?
Need to see video for that.

minx

That tragic ending to this is horrible.

I do want to see the body cam video, the actions described in the OP just seem weird.
Like, he hands the cop a bottle of alcohol? He just drives off?
Was he like, drunk or didn't care or what?
Need to see video for that.

Based on experience this guy was most likelt pretty hammered. Not stopping the vehicle for a mile, handing over alcohol when asked for license, not getting out of the car, speeding off. I would say a BAC of no less than .20

Coins

Banned
Based on experience this guy was most likelt pretty hammered. Not stopping the vehicle for a mile, handing over alcohol when asked for license, not getting out of the car, speeding off. I would say a BAC of no less than .20

None of that fits the criteria for deadly force. We need to see the physical altercation.

Not having a front plate is illegal?

Technically it is in Ohio, but I never had one when I lived there. I've never heard of some getting pulled over specifically for not having a front plate, it's usually something they tack onto a ticket they're already going to issue.

Klyka

Banned
None of that fits the criteria for deadly force. We need to see the physical altercation.

The question of course also remains if it was meant to be deadly force.
The cop apparently couldn't even keep standing up while shooting his gun,who knows what he actually wanted to achieve with that shot.

LOL damn. Never saw that, thanks.

Odd, a cop asked me about a front plate a while ago after an accident in Quincy MA. He just told me to get a new one as the old one was ripped off in a parking lot.

I think Massachusetts only require one plate for bikes, trailers, and maybe certain sports cars (that lack much of a front bumper). So the vast majority need two.

br3wnor

Sadly the medias main narrative will be about him being drunk and having 13 kids, not the fact that a cop shot to kill someone who drove off from a traffic stop .

I think about all those "police chase" shows I've watched where a guy can be escaping from a robbery for a half hour with road blocks and 20 cops chasing him and it still ends with a surrender and him being alive. Or the Colorado shooter, or the South Carolina church shooter, or the biker gang shoot out, or any other apprehension of white suspects, so much more leeway given before resulting to use of deadly force.

He handed the cop a bottle of alcohol? Then there was a struggle? What the fuck did he expect to happen in the age of current events? The "right" thing? Lol

Wait...he tried to get away as well? Yep, he doomed himself.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm honestly a little mixed about this, and want to hold off jumping to conclusions until we find out if the guy was drunk or not.

While I would normally agree that shooting a fleeing suspect is wrong as they (normally) pose no significant threat to the public. If this guy was drunk, he WAS a threat to everyone else on the road.

Really strange circumstances and it doesnt look to be in the cops favor. So hes standing right outside his door and a "struggle" happens which ends up with the driver speeding off and then the officer opening fire. Since the driver didnt have a weapon what the hell happened? Hes in a car so about all he can do is maybe throw a punch out the window or possibly throw something at the officer. My guess was that the police officer tried to physically remove the driver from the car and the driver resisted and sped off while the officer got caught in the door or on something else. Is that how they train a police officer to detain someone inside a car resisting arrest? Seems like a good way to get hurt.

Evo X

For those saying that he should have let him drive away and give chase, is that really wise?

Dude was obviously super drunk. Probably not a great idea to let him roam the streets at high speeds where he could have killed innocent people.

Would you have the same stance if the drunk guy sped away and killed a young family during the chase by crashing into them?

Sure the driver didn't have a gun, but a 4,000 lbs of speeding metal is a deadly weapon itself.

We can't truly assess the situation until the video is released.

So was the cop in the window stuck as the vehicle sped away? The whole description of the event is vague.

We need some body cams.

edit: So there were cams, hopefully we can get that footage soon.

andymcc

Banned
If this guy was drunk, he WAS a threat to everyone else on the road.

Let's be real, these guys probably deal with violently drunk college students (UC campus is RIFE with bars) in cars all of the time. I'm sure they don't always comply. I have little doubt if this was a younger, white student, there wouldn't have been a bullet entering his head.

I'm honestly a little mixed about this, and want to hold off jumping to conclusions until we find out if the guy was drunk or not.

While I would normally agree that shooting a fleeing suspect is wrong as they (normally) pose no significant threat to the public. If this guy was drunk, he WAS a threat to everyone else on the road.

For those saying that he should have let him drive away and give chase, is that really wise?

Dude was obviously super drunk. Probably not a great idea to let him roam the streets at high speeds where he could have killed innocent people.

Would you have the same stance if the drunk guy sped away and killed a young family during the chase by crashing into them?

same thing could be said for anyone in a high speed chase. Theres a lot of reckless and dangerous situations but they typically try to disable the vehicle and not just unload a barrage of bullets into the drivers.

Klyka

Banned
Honestly, without seeing the video footage, the whole thing is extremely hard to properly form an opinion on apart from "A man died in this situation, it is a tragedy".
The description of things going down is just weird and kinda nonsensical, especially the officer falling down and ripping his pants (like,really?) and him shooting the guy in the head.
I mean,obviously he did shoot him in the head, but I just can't accept it was an aimed shot.
I refuse to believe that anyone's first thought in this situation when you have your gun in hand is "a shot to the head should solve this!".

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
High speed chase with a drunk driver...

This particular officer was between a rock and a hard place. You can look at my post history in cop threads, I don't know that I've ever come down on the side of a cop, but this isn't one of the typical scenarios.

Lol... this is hilarious. If the officer involved believed the suspect posed a direct (deadly) threat to either himself or the public, it most certainly meets the criteria. The suspect doesn't even have to actually be drunk! -- If the officer can demonstrate there was reason enough to believe he was heavily intoxicated.

Physical altercation... that's not how it works. Not as the law stands.

Sure the driver didn't have a gun, but a 4,000 lbs of speeding metal is a deadly weapon itself.

Drunk driving isn't punishable by death. Never was. Nor do we execute people on what they might eventually unintentionally do.

Or, to put it more bluntly: do you want to live in a world where cops have a license to kill you if they think you're driving while intoxicated?

wwm0nkey

Let's be real, these guys probably deal with violently drunk college students (UC campus is RIFE with bars) in cars all of the time. I'm sure they don't always comply. I have little doubt if this was a younger, white student, there wouldn't have been a bullet entering his head.
Clifton in general sucks, well at night it does at least. In the day it's a traffic nightmare

High speed chase with a drunk driver...

This particular officer was between a rock and a hard place. You can look at my post history in cop threads, I don't know that I've ever come down on the side of a cop, but this isn't one of the typical scenarios.

Am I missing where this was a high speed chase?

Skyzard

Banned
Clearly police can do whatever the fuck they like.

Un-armed citizen getting away? Execute him.

Any excuse to kill someone. He wasn't stopped for driving like a drunk nor did the officer at all mention that he was drunk, his front license plate was missing.

low-G

These articles always make me question office training in the US. Why does he have to shoot him? if this happened in germany the officer would have knocked the guy out with his baton. No need to shoot him unless he has a knife or some other gun.

Also are officers in the US working alone? Here in Germany there are always atleast two incase something like this happens.

Ok here's a good analogy. Imagine WW2 Germany. Now imagine Germany won the war and there were still millions of Nazis, killing & full of hate in your country. Now imagine many became cops & some are still soldiers.

That's America.

Septimius

Yes, we can. The cop is not entitled to kill for this reason. It's really that simple.

Skyzard

Banned
Always when the police kill a civilian they're allowed a substantial amount of time to get their story straight with their lawyer first. No interviews are ever done till much later.

Eh, I dunno. Dude had 60 prior arrests and was driving drunk.

If the officer had let him get away, and he had plowed into a innocent civilian or a family in a car, would that be better than this outcome?

On the other hand, why the hell has stun/taser tech not advanced to the point where officers can (and are trained to) reliably use them in situations like this?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Ok here's a good analogy. Imagine WW2 Germany. Now imagine Germany won the war and there were still millions of Nazis, killing & full of hate in your country. Now imagine many became cops & some are still soldiers.

That's America.

Just a tad hyperbolic

Amory

If the officer had let him get away, and he had plowed into a innocent civilian or a family in a car, would that be better than this outcome?

Sure wouldn't. If he was drunk and tried to drive away after getting caught, I'm glad he got shot before he could hurt anyone else.

Fuck drunk drivers. I don't give a shit what color you are.

Skyzard

Banned
Why do people think he was a drunk driver? Because the officer simply and randomly claims a bottle was passed to him?

We go on a shooting adventure, chasing and gunning down drunk drivers for the public's safety?

gtfo

Why do people think he was a drunk driver? Because the officer simply and randomly claims a bottle was passed to him?

Yeah, that sounded a little strange. Like I think I've seen that done in comedies before, it's not something I'd expect to actually happen in real life.

DedValve

Banned
Why is this an American-specific phenomenon? :/

Police brutality and racism is not an inherently American phenomenon. In fact its probably not nearly as bad as other countries, especially when it comes to police brutality.

We just highlight it all time which is a good thing and it reveals the problem in hopes that we will one day correct it. Better than ignoring or covering it up.

quickwhips

Oh shit someone with alcohol in their car and a missing front number plate is being uncooperative and is driving away...better shoot to kill.

Lets be honest here drunk driving is a danger to anyone on the road. I don't know if he was drunk from the article but he did have an open container. Lets not down play anything. The stupid driver or the idiot cop.

Skyzard

Banned
^ no mention whatsoever that the bottle was open.

It reads to me like an easily defensible claim to imply the driver was drunk without putting yourself at risk following autopsy by saying something like he was drunk, or I smelt alcohol or anything more significant. A bottle was passed. What?
There's bodycam footage though so maybe we'll find out, also I guess that would not be smart to lie about in that case, unless it wasn't on the footage for some reason. But even still, lethal force seems inappropriate as a first response to him driving away. Is this GTA?

Is that what you do with car chases with suspected drunk drivers? Start firing at their car from a distance? Or is that only if they slapped you about a bit.

Police brutality and racism is not an inherently American phenomenon. In fact its probably not nearly as bad as other third-world/developing countries, especially when it comes to police brutality.

We just highlight it all time which is a good thing and it reveals the problem in hopes that we will one day correct it. Better than ignoring or covering it up.

ftfy

Lets be honest here drunk driving is a danger to anyone on the road. I don't know if he was drunk from the article but he did have an open container. Lets not down play anything. The stupid driver or the idiot cop.
Did it say open container? I thought i read a bottle of alcohol.
Though with 60 prior arrests its easy to assume one of those were for for dui. Regardless since when is drunk driving handled with police shooting the driver?

So is shooting down the road. And again: he was stopped not because he appeared to be DUI, but because he didn't have a front plate.

Velcro Fly

That's America.

comparing cops to Nazis is really fucking offensive

Can't help but feel there is a very vital bit of information missing here.

Why even mention the officer falling down while taking the shot? Not to mention a typical fall would not tear up a uniform.

I would wait until we get more info before we start throwing accusations around. For all we know they could have been having this "struggle", with the driver then trying to flee and the officer being caught up on the vehicle while trying to prevent him from doing so, and then felt the need to fire a shot to prevent himself from being dragged.

Not trying to make excuses, but it really wouldn't shock me to find out the media is withholding info like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom