• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying_Phoenix said:
PoliGaf Cast Session 002: Remembering 9/11, Al Qaeda, and a look at the present and future of a post-terrorist aware America

In this session of we will be focusing on arguably the biggest event in American history over the past decade. On September 11th, 2001, two planes crashed into the World Trade Center. The result was arguably the most notorious terrorist attack in modern history. Since this day America has changed as the citizens have released the threat religious extremists (particularly Muslim) are to the Western world. Its changed many viewpoints and has stirred up many fears.

This session will focus on where the panel was at 9/11/01, how/if it affected their lives, how America has changed, the extremist group Al Qaeda and the purpose and result of their mission, present and future terrorism, and where America will go from here.

As usual anyone can volunter, but due to this episode being a special subject, I will prefer:

- People who are well educated about the events of 9/11, Al Qaeda, and/or state of American Islamaphobia

- People who are at least 25 years of age

I should be up for it, unless you want a different crew.

PoliGaf Cast Session 002: Remembering 9/11, Al Qaeda, and a look at the present and future of a post-terrorist aware America

In this session of we will be focusing on arguably the biggest event in American history over the past decade. On September 11th, 2001, two planes crashed into the World Trade Center. The result was arguably the most notorious terrorist attack in modern history. Since this day America has changed as the citizens have released the threat religious extremists (particularly Muslim) are to the Western world. Its changed many viewpoints and has stirred up many fears.

This session will focus on where the panel was at 9/11/01, how/if it affected their lives, how America has changed, the extremist group Al Qaeda and the purpose and result of their mission, present and future terrorism, and where America will go from here.

As usual anyone can volunteer, but due to this episode being a special subject, I will prefer:

- People who are well educated about the events of 9/11, Al Qaeda, and/or state of American Islamaphobia

EDIT - I'm debating whether or not I should have a static panel of 3 to 5, or having people switch off when topics change. I guess it depends on how many people volunteer and what I feel would be best for the show's format.

I can see why you'd want people over 25, but perhaps it might produce a more well-rounded discussion to solicit participation from people in a number of age cohorts. I think the perspective of some people who largely grew up in the post 9/11 world. I'm just about to turn 23, but I'd be interested in participating (though my schedule is pretty funky during the week, so maybe not).

Holy shit, you guys have podcasts now?

*downloads*

Whats the rundown on the first one? List of Gaffers, subject matter, etc? Details seem to be spread over a ton of pages.

NullPointer said:
Holy shit, you guys have podcasts now?

*downloads*

Whats the rundown on the first one? List of Gaffers, subject matter, etc? Details seem to be spread over a ton of pages.

Podcast that was sloppily put together.

I host it.

Guests were Speculawyer, Manos: Hands of Fate, and Puddles.

People originally weren't interested.

After podcast is released now everyone wants to be on it.

Flying_Phoenix said:

As usual anyone can volunteer, but due to this episode being a special subject, I will prefer:

EDIT - I'm debating whether or not I should have a static panel of 3 to 5, or having people switch off when topics change. I guess it depends on how many people volunteer and what I feel would be best for the show's format.

You should definitely spend some time on the rise of the unaccountable, billion (probably trillion) dollar boondoggle that is the security apparatus and the seemingly interminable state of war that it was created for.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Podcast that was sloppily put together.

I host it.

Guests were Speculawyer, Manos: Hands of Fate, and Puddles.

People originally weren't interested.

After podcast is released now everyone wants to be on it.
You should try to do weekly podcasts with recap of all the weekly events. That way you'll have time setting up things you want to discuss. Also wanted to mention that before speakers begin to talk, it would be handy if they or you mentioned their neogaf handle. I guess you can do that once you upload it to youtubes. I'll pass on this topic though :)

RustyNails said:
You should try to do weekly podcasts with recap of all the weekly events. That way you'll have time setting up things you want to discuss. Also wanted to mention that before speakers begin to talk, it would be handy if they or you mentioned their neogaf handle. I guess you can do that once you upload it to youtubes. I'll pass on this topic though :)

This is what angered me the most. Can't believe I forgot to do that!

state-of-the-art said:
You should definitely spend some time on the rise of the unaccountable, billion (probably trillion) dollar boondoggle that is the security apparatus and the seemingly interminable state of war that it was created for.
Indeed. Top Secret America needs to be cut back. Heavily. The Tea-party crowd whines about about government growth . . . welfare is nothing compared to that bloat.

Edit: I'd love to do it again but I also think it would be good to get a variety of voices.

Oh, and I was playing TF2 tonight and someone said "Hey, I heard you on the podcast." Weird.

ToxicAdam

The Treasury Department is considering a proposal to eliminate some but not all taxes on the overseas profits of U.S. multinational companies, a central element of the administration's broader plans to overhaul the corporate-tax code, according to two people familiar with the deliberations.

U.S. businesses have pushed hard to exempt all overseas earnings from U.S. taxes, claiming the current system puts them at a disadvantage to foreign competitors...The Treasury plan under consideration would create what officials refer to as a 'tough' territorial system, which would shield some overseas profits from U.S. taxes. A key issue is what kind of profits would be excluded. The details of the plan couldn't be learned.

The provision is part of a broader Treasury rewrite of the corporate-tax code that has been in the works for months

Link

This could wind up being very minor and actually help reform some unfair taxes, but on the surface it seems like the exact opposite of how America should be dealing with multi-national corporations.

--- // ---

One of the most-highly subsidized industries? The video game industry.

eznark

Banned
New York Times said:
Video game developers receive such a rich assortment of incentives that even oil companies have questioned why the government should subsidize such a mature and profitable industry whose main contribution is to create amusing and sometimes antisocial entertainment.
heh

Jesus christ, you guys started a podcast?

eznark

Banned
Has he released a written copy of the entire bill yet? I thought as of Saturday it wasn't even written yet?

I was in San Diego all week so 1. I didn't follow the news very closely and 2. was in the Great SoCal Blackout and missed the speech which I have heard described alternately as awe-inspiring, base-rousing, un-presidential or awful. I'm guessing all of the people who described the speech to me didn't watch it. (Except Jim Sensenbrenner, which is who called it un-presidential)

GhaleonEB

I assume since it's being sent to Congress, it's written. Hopefully it's posted shortly.

I'm most interested in how it's paid for; expecting to see lots of punts about future general funding levels.

Edit: Obama held up a copy.

Jeels

Flying_Phoenix said:

Could I recommend having an American or Western raised Muslim in the discussion? It would make for a good perspective. (I would volunteer but I am podcast shy).

speculawyer said:
Indeed. Top Secret America needs to be cut back. Heavily. The Tea-party crowd whines about about government growth . . . welfare is nothing compared to that bloat.

Edit: I'd love to do it again but I also think it would be good to get a variety of voices.

Oh, and I was playing TF2 tonight and someone said "Hey, I heard you on the podcast." Weird.
Maybe we should rotate after a foreign policy and a domestic show.

Jeels said:
Could I recommend having an American or Western raised Muslim in the discussion? It would make for a good perspective. (I would volunteer but I am podcast shy).

I'm part Palestinian with an Arabic name. I've also ran into some lite to moderate racism (people looking at me funny at airports, getting pulled out of the plane boarding line to have my bag searched, ignorant people, etc.).

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
GhaleonEB said:
I assume since it's being sent to Congress, it's written. Hopefully it's posted shortly.

I'm most interested in how it's paid for; expecting to see lots of punts about future general funding levels.

Edit: Obama held up a copy.
The important question though is, how many pages is it?

besada

Banned
Pawlenty endorsed Romney. Soon he'll probably get Huntsman endorsement, too. That extra 3% is going to really make the difference.

ToxicAdam said:
Honestly, I only think Pawlenty ran so he can throw his name into the VP nomination talks. Kind of a wierd job to aspire to.
I can't see how that additional vanilla on the Romney ticket would improve his chances. Might be of some use to Perry, though.

Mike M

Nick N
ToxicAdam said:
Honestly, I only think Pawlenty ran so he can throw his name into the VP nomination talks. Kind of a wierd job to aspire to.
Makes him the heir apparent in 2020 should Romney serve 2 terms. I can kinda see the logic in it, less effort but a longer timeline...

GhaleonEB

quadriplegicjon said:
The important question though is, how many pages is it?
Looked pretty short, a couple of magazines thick. Must be using fine print.

Agree about Pawlenty. I think he started out trying to run as the electable GOP alternative to Obama, but that was totally out of touch with the primary base. Now he's VP fodder.

ToxicAdam said:
I think Jim DeMint is a lock for VP
Jeels said:
Same here :p

RustyNails said:

Why? He adds nothing to a ticket on a national scale, considering the south/hardcore right will vote republican regardless. Also he's more interested in becoming senate majority leader.

Rubio makes far more sense

RustyNails said:
You so crazy. (I loled)

I think the possibility that a lot of people have floated, Rubio, is likely to make the short list for whichever candidate takes the nomination. I can't think of a woman who would improve the ticket, and that gambit failed pretty hard the last time. Maybe Perry takes Romney or the other way around?

ToxicAdam

Invisible_Insane said:
I can't see how that additional vanilla on the Romney ticket would improve his chances. Might be of some use to Perry, though.

I think Romney will learn from 2008 and not get a conservative that will scare away the moderates. So, conventionally, people might think a Romney/Gingrich ticket could work .. I don't think that's a wise decision.

While it might not be Pawlenty, it could be someone similar from a more geographically advantageous part of the country.

PhoenixDark said:
Why? He adds nothing to a ticket on a national scale, considering the south/hardcore right will vote republican regardless. Also he's more interested in becoming senate majority leader.

Rubio makes far more sense
Well, if Perry's the winner then yeah I don't think DeMint is a viable choice. But I think Romney would need a slightly more conservative on the ticket if he wins. Romney Pawlenty ticket makes no sense.

RustyNails said:
Well, if Perry's the winner then yeah I don't think DeMint is a viable choice. But I think Romney would need a slightly more conservative on the ticket if he wins. Romney Pawlenty ticket makes no sense.

Yea I don't think Pawlenty will put Minnesota in play. On the other hand if Perry gets the nomination, picking someone like Rubio would make perfect sense. The social security comments make him vulnerable, so choosing a popular, young FL senator might calm Floridians down. Still, I think Rick Scott+Perry's social security comments could still cost him the state if the economy improves

Clevinger

PhoenixDark said:
Yea I don't think Pawlenty will put Minnesota in play. On the other hand if Perry gets the nomination, picking someone like Rubio would make perfect sense. The social security comments make him vulnerable, so choosing a popular, young FL senator might calm Floridians down. Still, I think Rick Scott+Perry's social security comments could still cost him the state if the economy improves

Rubio's done some stupid Social Security talk recently as well.

ToxicAdam

6a00d83451c45669e2014e8b7cc51a970d-550wi

A Doonesbury that's actually funny (and newsworthy)? The end is nigh.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Investor: Cut all income taxes and institute a VAT to create jobs

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44483875

Here's a 'highlight:'

"We need something that is very far-reaching, very dramatic," said Ross, the head of W.L. Ross & Co. "An idea I've been in favor of is to scrap all of the corporate income taxes, all of the individual income taxes, and substitute a value-added tax on all goods imported into the country and manufactured and consumed here, and then rebate it on exports."

According to his calculations, Ross said the VAT would generate $80 billion net revenue to the government, while avoiding the pitfalls of Obama's $447 billion plan.

It absolutely pisses me off to see people actually trying to recommend this as a viable option.

I've got a better idea: Since companies aren't using their record hoard of cash to hire people because they know people are afraid to lose a job, let's start taxing the living daylights out of those companies who take jobs out of the country and/or funnel their business through corporate dealings in Ireland/Bermuda.

ToxicAdam

How Obama is going to 'pay for it':

The chief provision announced by Lew would be to limit itemized deductions for individuals who make more than $200,000 a year and families that make more than $250,000, something the Obama administration has previously pushed to do through its budget proposals. Lew told reporters at the White House press briefing that this would raise about $400 billion.

The administration would tax the income investment fund managers make, known as “carried interest,” as regular income instead of as capital gains, which has a low 15 percent tax rate. This is another long-standing administration goal that has been resisted by Wall Street as well as some Democrats.

The administration estimates the capital gains change would provide $18 billion in revenue.

The administration also wants to eliminate tax breaks for the oil and gas sector, which would raise $40 billion, the adminstration said.

Another $3 billion would come from changing the way corporate jets depreciate. With a few other revenue raises, Lew indicated the total measures proposed by the administration would bring in $467 billion, $20 billion more than the cost of Obama's jobs bill.

Obama is expected next Monday to formally unveil his recommendations to a supercommittee created by the debt ceiling deal. That panel of 12 lawmakers is charged with cutting $1.5 trillion from the 10-year budget.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...on-wealthy-business-to-pay-for-447b-jobs-bill

Seems to me it's more spending, but pawns the obligations of paying for it to the super committee. Bad form.

Plinko said:
Investor: Cut all income taxes and institute a VAT to create jobs

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44483875

Here's a 'highlight:'

It absolutely pisses me off to see people actually trying to recommend this as a viable option.
There was an editorial to this effect in the Times over the weekend. I bang my head into a desk every time someone suggests that the only good solutions to our problems must necessarily be distasteful to both sides of the political spectrum, as if that's some indicator of policy effectiveness.

ToxicAdam said:
Seems to me it's more spending, but pawns the obligations of paying for it to the super committee. Bad form.
When is he going to learn? uuuugggghhhh

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Black Republican said:
as a non american, can someone explain to me why florida has so many seniors compared to most states? better benefits or something?
People retire and go there because of decent weather and it's not too expensive to live in some parts.

Kusagari

Black Republican said:
as a non american, can someone explain to me why florida has so many seniors compared to most states? better benefits or something?

It's the perfect place to retire. Great weather, scenery, etc. And some parts of the state, not south Florida, are cheap to live in.

ToxicAdam

Cyan said:
How could a jobs bill possibly not involve more spending? Was he pretending there wouldn't be spending? If so... *smh*

In his speech, he made a point that it would all be paid for.

Everything in here is the kind of proposal that’s been supported by both Democrats and Republicans — including many who sit here tonight. And everything in this bill will be paid for. Everything.

--- /// ---
Black Republican said:

Florida also offers some tax benefits to people moving there. No state income tax and I think very low (or no) taxes on your estate when you pass. Plus, with the large amount of seniors already there, they have some of the best facilities and medicaid laws for elderly people.

ToxicAdam said:
How Obama is going to 'pay for it':

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...on-wealthy-business-to-pay-for-447b-jobs-bill

This isn't spending at all, it's a net cut: "With a few other revenue raises, Lew indicated the total measures proposed by the administration would bring in $467 billion, $20 billion more than the cost of Obama's jobs bill."

But it does redistribute spending (in the right direction), so it may provide a small--very small--net stimulus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom