• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
quadriplegicjon said:
I agree, there needs to be some differing opinions on there.

By the way, you guys never added my vote for Bulbo in the GAF presidential election count!

:(
You voted for ME? This is a humbling experience. I haven't been voted leader of anything since 5th grade when I was head of the crossing guards. That didn't last too long after we lost a couple of first graders to a Land Cruiser. But this job may be right for me. Thanks man.

TestOfTide said:
I thought it's well known that russia gave cuba missiles because we had missile silos in turkey. I'm pretty sure that was the basic deal between the US and USSR: Cuba missiles go away and the turkey missiles go away to even it out.

EDIT: WIkipedia says so at least:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis (check the section "crisis ends")

The Jupiter missiles were on their way out anyway. It was a small part based on that no doubt, but it was also to show Soviet power expanding and help for inroads into Central and South America (which is why his retreat cost him so dearly even with members of the Politburo knowing about Italy and Turkey), and secure Castro from US invasion.

Unknown to the Soviets, the U.S regarded the Jupiter missiles as obsolete and already supplanted by the Polaris nuclear ballistic submarine missiles.[10]

It did include weapons in Southern Italy too (which along with the Juptiers were not public knowledge), but once again things like theater IRBMs were being to be supplemented by the Polaris.

quadriplegicjon said:

By the way, you guys never added my vote for Bulbo in the GAF presidential election count!

Yeah, differing opinions would be good. But it is hard if you when you just do mostly agree. Perhaps I should have mentioned how I agree with the 'Ponzi Scheme' characterization of social security. I don't say that to bash the program or want to dismantle it, I just say it as a matter of basic fact. The incoming money is paid directly to current retirees and it requires population growth (which has been true for most of our history) to remain stable. We need to admit that is the way it works in order to figure out how to keep working.

ToxicAdam would be a great differing voice. BigSicily would be a bridge too far though . . . and you can't get graphs through in audio. ;-)

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah. That's why I REALLY want to get some libertarians and conservatives on the Podcast.

Also keep in mind that this is the first time. I'm still deciding how I should do the shows format, tone, etc.

scorcho said:
i'll download it once Bulbo is brought on as a counterpoint, or if someone can resurrect Jaydubs.

quadriplegicjon said:

Trust me when it gets to Foreign Policy/Defense it will be A LOT different! Of course it doesn't me we'll all be douchey to each other. lol

Like I said look this guy up
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_M._Jackson

Suikoguy said:
This was mentioned during the debate:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/they-messed-with-texas/?ref=opinion

How does one get to this mindset? Knowing that Texas knowingly executed a innocent man?

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/93136/it-takes-balls-execute-innocent-man

Multiple former Hutchison advisers recalled asking a focus group about the charge that Perry may have presided over the execution of an innocent man – Cameron Todd Willingham – and got this response from a primary voter: “It takes balls to execute an innocent man.”

besada

Banned
RustyNails said:
I want Bulbo, TA and Zombie JayDub on the next podcast. SomeDude too.
Ya know, JayDubya isn't actually dead or anything, just banned from GAF. If you guys really want him on the podcast, shoot a PM to kamikaze chick, his wife.

besada said:
Ya know, JayDubya isn't actually dead or anything, just banned from GAF. If you guys really want him on the podcast, shoot a PM to kamikaze chick, his wife.
Oh yeah, he was perm'ad. Well I suppose Gaborn can work as a substitute.

110 downloads in under 24 hours!!!

I promise I'll stat saying "Umm", "Like", and "You Know" way way way less often. Sorry I was very nervous because I was worried nothing would go through.

I really don't have a radio voice.

besada said:

Someone can do that.

jamesinclair said:
Thats a shitload of lurkers.

Post in this thread you free-riding mooches!

What kind of welfare queens are you people? texas?
I think many of them are non-member lurkers. So, illegal immigrants.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
The podcast was mediocre. This was expected anyway. I'll give you guys a few weeks to get a flow and settle in before making an actual judgment.

This isn't an insult. Hendrix didn't write Voodoo Child the first day he picked up a guitar either.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
OuterWorldVoice said:
I have a Facebook friend who does nothing but post Libertarian smokescreen rants about Obama, and they are poorly thought out and nonsensical, but he keeps framing them with the idea that Obama is a terrible CEO, and that he could never be a real CEO,as if that's what the job is supposed to be.

He's a former senior executive at my company and I am not sure if I should delete him or not, but he's annoying the shit out of me.

And I don't know what his contribution to society is, exactly.

I can't quite put my finger on why, but for some reason this anecdote rings a bell.

Slow news days this weekend. At least it gave me an opportunity to go back some pages and read the different links posted by the world's greatest political news team which is GAF. Anyone know what some of the important upcoming political events are? Any important debates, appearances, meetings or things like that? I heard the actual job's bill will be presented on monday, so I'm assuming that once that hits, we'll see editorials on it's contents?

adg1034

ixix said:
I can't quite put my finger on why, but for some reason this anecdote rings a bell.

Itagaki_Thumbs_Up_MNT.jpg

Agnostic said:
The podcast was mediocre. This was expected anyway. I'll give you guys a few weeks to get a flow and settle in before making an actual judgment.

This isn't an insult. Hendrix didn't write Voodoo Child the first day he picked up a guitar either.

Mediocre? I expected it to be a travesty before I hit the record button.

Contrary to what people thought. I had ten minutes to prepare for it.

I assure you that the next one will be better and in a few weeks the first one will seem like some ghetto experimentation.

Rocket Scientist said:
Slow news days this weekend. At least it gave me an opportunity to go back some pages and read the different links posted by the world's greatest political news team which is GAF. Anyone know what some of the important upcoming political events are? Any important debates, appearances, meetings or things like that? I heard the actual job's bill will be presented on monday, so I'm assuming that once that hits, we'll see editorials on it's contents?
CNN is hosting teaparty debate tomorrow in Tampa. The usual suspects will show up.

Jackson50

Invisible_Insane said:
Azula lecturing me on foreign policy might be the best thing ever.
Ha, yeah. I would enjoy that, actually.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Well look at their reactions the Pershing II and GLCM's in Europe. They were extremely paranoid about it and it permeated the Kremlin during the early 1980s. Reagan was actually shocked when he found out how nuts they were starting to act and felt he had to get face to face with them to demonstrate that the US wasn't secretly planning a first strike doctrine/capability.
Precisely. Thus, if they were prone to irrationality, their response to the premier missile on a, most importantly, invincible platform would have been interesting. And probably frightening. Thankfully, history preempted them.

Dude Abides said:
Or Buddy Roemer! I'd love to see him up there.

It'd be awesome if the media et al presented the information that the public requires, rather than the information it thinks the public (or its sponsors) want.

Flying_Phoenix said:
110 downloads in under 24 hours!!!

I promise I'll stat saying "Umm", "Like", and "You Know" way way way less often. Sorry I was very nervous because I was worried nothing would go through.
You did a great job of preparation. Can you tells about the recording software you used, editing software, and others?

And having little clips was great! Is there anyway I can have skype play little clips to add in?

We need an RSS feed. Perhaps rotate the talkers for diversity.

speculawyer said:
You did a great job of preparation. Can you tells about the recording software you used, editing software, and others?

And having little clips was great! Is there anyway I can have skype play little clips to add in?

I just wish we could have found the Simpson clip though. lol

Rocket Scientist said:
Interesting, thanks. I'm assuming it will be even crazier than the Republican debate.

CNN has been on the crazy train feeding into this Tea Party nonsense from the beginning. I hope they enjoy the trip down this turd hole of a debate.

Puddles

Banned
If Jimmy Carter is anything, he's history's greatest straw man. A lot of the right wingers who bash Carter's legacy to praise Reagan have no idea what actually caused the economic conditions of the 70s and what was actually done to get us out of stagflation.

Puddles said:
If Jimmy Carter is anything, he's history's greatest straw man. A lot of the right wingers who bash Carter's legacy to praise Reagan have no idea what actually caused the economic conditions of the 70s and what was actually done to get us out of stagflation.
Still a great Simpson's joke.

Up to 150 downloads!!!

speculawyer said:

Yeah I use the most basic stuff right now.

I have an add-on app for Skype that automatically records a call when it starts.

I just open up the terminal and type "start-skype-recorder" and done.

After everything is done recording. I go and open up Audacity and edit everything in there.

This is all done via freeware in Ubuntu.

As for the clips? Just went on Youtube and put the starter on the right time, then put my pick next to the laptop speakers.

KamikazeChick said:
No - just scroll up. A podcast or something? I'll ask him.

We want you to ask your husband (JayDubya) if he'd be interested in being on the thread's Podcast some time.

speculawyer said:

That would be a really good practice. Also have some number in mind for how many people should be on any given show.

PoliGaf Cast Session 002: Remembering 9/11, Al Qaeda, and a look at the present and future of a post-terrorist aware America

In this session of we will be focusing on arguably the biggest event in American history over the past decade. On September 11th, 2001, two planes crashed into the World Trade Center. The result was arguably the most notorious terrorist attack in modern history. Since this day America has changed as the citizens have released the threat religious extremists (particularly Muslim) are to the Western world. Its changed many viewpoints and has stirred up many fears.

This session will focus on where the panel was at 9/11/01, how/if it affected their lives, how America has changed, the extremist group Al Qaeda and the purpose and result of their mission, present and future terrorism, and where America will go from here.

As usual anyone can volunteer, but due to this episode being a special subject, I will prefer:

- People who are well educated about the events of 9/11, Al Qaeda, and/or state of American Islamaphobia

- People who are at least 25 years of age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom