• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2011: Of Weiners, Boehners, Santorum, and Teabags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atilac said:
PMSBK.jpg

I sense a lot of hostility.

Well, we were not the only people upset.

Did Rick Perry 'assault' Ron Paul at the GOP debate?

After the two Texans gunning for the Republican presidential nomination clashed during a commercial break, Paul fans argue that Perry crossed the line
The image: During a commercial break in Wednesday's Republican presidential debate, a photographer captured a seemingly tense exchange between the party's presidential frontrunner, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and Rep. Ron Paul, also a Texan. (See photo below). Perry walked over to Paul's podium, grabbed the libertarian congressman's forearm with one hand, and pointed in his face with the other. The confrontation came shortly after Paul skewered Perry for writing a letter in the '90s praising then-first lady Hillary Clinton for her health-care reform efforts. Perry subsequently asked Paul to explain a 1987 letter the libertarian wrote to then-President Ronald Reagan saying he was leaving the Republican Party. Paul supporters accused Perry of "assaulting" their candidate during the unintended photo op, but the Perry camp said the pair merely discussed border security in a "very cordial" fashion. For his part, Paul insists that the two did not exchange any "cross words."

The response: It's perfectly understandable that Paul supporters would "go nuclear over this," says Taylor Marsh at her blog. "When a man puts his hands on another man, pointing a finger in his face for emphasis, that's a point when things have crossed the line." Indeed, this looks like a "heated exchange," says Tommy Christopher at Mediaite, "but for all we know, they were discussing the relative merits of My Little Pony and Thundercats." Whatever really happened, says Katrina Trinko at National Review, this was certainly one of the more interesting moments in the debate — and it didn't even make it on the air. Most of the other candidates just ignore Paul's broadsides, "but Perry seems unwilling or unable to do that." Take a look for yourself:
http://theweek.com/article/index/219104/did-rick-perry-assault-ron-paul-at-the-gop-debate

SlipperySlope said:
I supported the war in Iraq, and won't back away from that stance because it didn't turn out like I'd like.

So in the light of overwhelming evidence that it was a massive waste of resources(intentional and otherwise) and may have done permanent damage to the country's standing and certainly has made us seem like belligerent bullies who will simply start a war to keep the military industrial complex going you still support that war?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So, I was watching Martin Bashir's show yesterday, with Ezra Klein guest hosting, and one segment really stood out to me. Ezra goes on to talk about the legislation that Reagan passed, many that would cause him to be cast out of the GOP were he alive today. He spoke for quite a bit about it and followed it up by having the new RNC Chair Reince Preibus on to comment. What I thought was noteworthy was that Preibus didn't even ATTEMPT to dispute any of the stuff Ezra said about Reagan's record. He essentially ignored it entirely. You would think that there would be one or two ways a Republican would get around such inconvenient facts, but he didn't even try.

Which then made me think of Timedog's suggestion about the Dems crafting a bill that would create identical tax brackets and such that were around the time of Reagan. At first I was a little doubtful, but it becomes more and more clear that many of these clowns would have quite a bit of difficulty around it without insulting their (other) god.

Oblivion

ToxicAdam said:
'His boy' is just slang. A tongue-in-cheek euphemism for his preferred candidate. Not meant to imply that he has always been an Obama cheerleader.

Oh, so you meant "his boy" with a race based connotation, then?

Puddles

Banned
Oblivion said:
So, I was watching Martin Bashir's show yesterday, with Ezra Klein guest hosting, and one segment really stood out to me. Ezra goes on to talk about the legislation that Reagan passed, many that would cause him to be cast out of the GOP were he alive today. He spoke for quite a bit about it and followed it up by having the new RNC Chair Reince Preibus on to comment. What I thought was noteworthy was that Preibus didn't even ATTEMPT to dispute any of the stuff Ezra said about Reagan's record. He essentially ignored it entirely. You would think that there would be one or two ways a Republican would get around such inconvenient facts, but he didn't even try.

Which then made me think of Timedog's suggestion about the Dems crafting a bill that would create identical tax brackets and such that were around the time of Reagan. At first I was a little doubtful, but it becomes more and more clear that many of these clowns would have quite a bit of difficulty around it without insulting their (other) god.

Do you have a link to this?

Jak140

Oblivion said:

It really tickles me to no end that the tea party's idol would undoubtedly be too liberal for them today. Hell, change his skin color and they might even call him a communist:

President Reagan was a big fan of tax credits for the working poor, viewing them as incentives to say on the job. President Clinton, he who carried out his pledge to "end welfare as we know it," declared in 1993 that any American who was willing to work 40 hours a week should be rewarded with resources to keep their families out of poverty, or at least as things turned out, closer to the poverty income cap.

But in the midst of today's anti-tax fervor, few Americans, especially the tea partiers, seem aware of this history in which their hero, Ronald Reagan, played an integral part.

http://news.yahoo.com/dont-blame-obama-liberals-half-americans-paying-no-000600375.html

Oblivion

Puddles, I'll dig for it.

ToxicAdam said:
Yes oblivion. That was exactly my intent.

Hey, I'm not sayin you were being racist, I'm just sayin.

For the record, my previous post might have been too subtle, but I was kidding. :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
SlipperySlope said:
Ah, Bush...

I forgot what grade I gave Bush earlier in this thread. I agree with some things he did, and disagree with others. I don't play revisionist history. For example, I supported the war in Iraq, and won't back away from that stance because it didn't turn out like I'd like.

The main things I disagree with Bush on are his spending policies. He spent faaar too much.

Holy shit. So no matter what evidence you are presented with you won't admit you were wrong? I don't understand this.

Please explain to us all why the war in Iraq was justified - and please base it on the premises you supported going into war, not whatever weak justifications you read in Cheney's bio.

Hawkian said:
um. UM.

Logical?

It appears to the casual observer as though he is singing about how wonderful America is because we were attacked. I do not quite think this will play well.

I mean logical in that it has a beginning and end and I saying that in comparison to the video I posted. lol

Kidding aside it reeks of shit you might see on a local cable access channel at 3:00AM before some shitty as preacher comes on. Really low rent.

Sorry guys, the Youtube video isn't coming. Its too long to be put on Youtube. I COULD split it in half but...whats the point?

EDIT - 33 downloads so far? HOLY SHIT!

Puddles

Banned
I'm on ebay looking at PC microphones right now. I noticed a few times in the podcast when my voice cut out or sounded distorted when I tried to chime in. I didn't realize how bad I sounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom