• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I already said a thing about this, but Pence's performance is the perfect way to attack Trump's leadership abilities.

"You say you're a tremendous leader, but your own people won't defend you when it counts."

Something like that.

Yep the Clinton campaign needs to lay the trap and he will walk right into it. By the way did Trump tweet any congrats to Pence?

firefly.gif

LnkayYd.gif

Ecotic

Curious what the viewership dropoff rates are going to look like for the debates (or if we even get that info?). I imagine a lot of people couldn't stand the bickering and changed the channel/started doing something else pretty quickly.

Yeah that's exactly what I did, as much as I can't believe that as a political junkie I did that. Kaine wasn't doing well, they were talking over each other, and it didn't feel like anything of consequence was happening anyway.

Debirudog

From the Vox article:

When he does, Republicans will be searching for their next nominee. When they do, they’ll see that Pence — the guy I used to think they would pick for 2016 — doesn’t quite have the pizzazz or superstar quality of a Donald Trump, but he’s also a much better, more focused, more disciplined, less crazy politician. The kind of guy who could actually win.

Nah, Pence is as boring as a rock. i'm not sure why he can get away scot free with the losing ticket that is Trump.

Syncytia

From the Vox article:

Nah, Pence is as boring as a rock. i'm not sure why he can get away scot free with the losing ticket that is Trump.

Yeah, I also don't see how Pence makes it out this clean. He's permanently tied to Trump, more so than most other potential future candidates. The only way I see him successful is if the GOP doubles down on Trumpism. But Pence isn't very Trumpy.

I like that the Clinton campaign seems to have found a consistent message about the debate (Pence was unwilling to defend Trump) and is hammering it relentlessly. Winning the post-debate can be just as important as winning the debate itself.

Retro

Glad we had a chance to whip out that Mexican thing to wrap up another glorious Taco Tuesday.

I dunno what's going on over in that OT thread. People don't seem to grasp that Trump's only path to victory is to expand his base. More than a few seem to be under the impression that Trump needs to speak to and secure his base when in fact, they seem to be fanatically loyal to him regardless of the shit he says. He's not going to get African Americans, he's not going to get Hispanics, he's not gonna get women. His only hope is to convince college educated white males to show up and tip a few places in his favor. That's only going to be done by making him more palatable, dialing back the bigotry and making enough excuses that white guys can say "I voted for Trump but for all of these other reasons, not because I'm a racist piece of shit."

Pence's job was to go out there and make Trump look good. He failed, and actually made Trump look worse.
Kaine's job was to go out there and make Trump look bad. He succeeded.

The soundbite of Pence saying Trump is "not a polished politician" is a perfect example. The Trump base already knows he's not a politician and loves him for it, so that admission scores him no points. But you can bet your sweet bippy it's going to get played over and over and over again by the Clinton campaign as evidence that even his own Vice President doesn't have any faith in him, just another way in which he's unfit to lead, etc.

The soundbite of Pence saying Trump is "not a polished politician" is a perfect example. The Trump base already knows he's not a politician and loves him for it, so that admission scores him no points. But you can bet your sweet bippy it's going to get played over and over and over again by the Clinton campaign as evidence that even his own Vice President doesn't have any faith in him, just another way in which he's unfit to lead, etc.
I haven't seen the debate so I don't know the exact quote, but there's no way Clinton is going to use 'polished politician' thing in ads.

'Politician' is an insult, especially in this election where the hate for establishment is even bigger than normal. You can't score any points by claiming your opponent isn't a polished politician and you are.

Retro

I haven't seen the debate so I don't know the exact quote, but there's no way Clinton is going to use 'polished politician' thing in ads.

'Politician' is an insult, especially in this election where the hate for establishment is even bigger than normal. You can't score any points by claiming your opponent isn't a polished politician and you are.

I disagree, experience is much more important than being anti-establishment for the kind of voters they're both fighting for (i.e. college educated whites). She's never going to get her unfavorable numbers by trying to pretend she isn't a life long professional politician, doing so is more likely to make her appear dishonest. The whole "I'm an outsider" thing (itself a repeat of the last election's "maverick") only works if you're trying to appeal to the people who feel they don't have a seat at the table, i.e. minorities and fringe groups. We already know Trump isn't going to get much of the former, and the latter is already sewn up. Hillary isn't going to pull anybody in by pretending she's the kind of President you want to have a beer with.

On the Democrat side, appearing anti-establishment probably isn't very effective for her (and again, runs the risk of looking dishonest). The only group that anti-establishment approach works on are the last of the Busters (who, to reiterate my point from a few days ago, don't matter nearly as much as they think). Hillary's whole angle has been to paint Trump as unfit and unprepared. One of the big hits during the first debate was pointing out that she prepared for the debates when he wasn't. Pence's comment tonight can be spun to feed that narrative, especially if they emphasize the "polished" part rather than the politician one.

Maybe that's just me. I also don't see "liberal" as a label to run away from, but apparently it's still toxic to some.

I can't believe the national debt got a question and climate change did not.

The national debt of the United States isn't going to kill millions of people in India and Bangladesh.

The thing is they're not white or American so they don't get a question.

Hashtags of the night.

#BlackLivesDontMatter
#IndianLivesDontMatter
#MikePenceHatesHispanicLives
#SyrianLivesEspeciallyDontMater

Mike Pence saying that black people in inner cities want stop-and-frisk, jesus.

Kwixotik

I can't believe the national debt got a question and climate change did not.

The national debt of the United States isn't going to kill millions of people in India and Bangladesh.
I didn't watch, but I heard there were no questions pertaining to LGBTQ people, which was probably the most surprising thing possible to me given Pence's history in that area.

Did that innocent guy pence won't pardon that was making news this past week get brought up?

I didn't watch, but I heard there were no questions pertaining to LGBTQ people, which was probably the most surprising thing possible to me given Pence's history in that area.

Did that innocent guy pence won't pardon that was making news this past week get brought up?

No, the debate was all about Trump's hatred of black people and Muslims and Hispanics and Mike Pence was smirking through the whole thing.

It didn't have much to do with either candidate except when Pence started talking about how he would start a war with Russia really quickly and would bomb Assad (the exact opposite of Trump's strategy of supporting Russia and Assad).

Kwixotik

No, the debate was all about Trump's hatred of black people and Muslims and Hispanics and Mike Pence was smirking through the whole thing.

It didn't have much to do with either candidate except when Pence started talking about how he would start a war with Russia really quickly and would bomb Assad (the exact opposite of Trump's strategy of supporting Russia and Assad).
Well, that's not surprising given apparently Clinton is the pro Russian one now

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A bit late to this, but I finally saw yesterday's episode of Morning Joe, and holy fuck, I had no idea Mika could be that idiotic.

Vyse24

If you missed the debate and you're watching Fox News, you would be lead to believe Pence slaughtered Kaine last night.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You know what, though? Everybody keeps saying Pence won because of optics, but I remember many people saying the exact same thing about Paul Ryan.

CNN: Who won the debate

Pence 48

Kaine 42

actually almost identical - 48-44 Ryan instead of 48-42 Pence

Yep. I figured it would be about the same situation.

Think about that, now. People now always reference that Biden debate as a great night, but that initial reaction wasn't really so. My guess is this turns out the same way.

I think we're going to see some fantastic ads from this one.

Oh, yes!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If she outperforms on Latinos in Florida it might actually not be close. It could be like 1.5-2% instead of .8%.

I think Ohio is probably lost.

I am honestly praying for Sunday. This is it. I can't imagine Trump doing THAT poorly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom