• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

If she outperforms on Latinos in Florida it might actually not be close. It could be like 1.5-2% instead of .8%.

I think Ohio is probably lost.

I am honestly praying for Sunday. This is it. I can't imagine Trump doing THAT poorly again.

the guy has shown time and time again an unwillingness to change or learn. he's going to bomb and it's going to be worse with raddatz/cooper and in the town hall style where he'll be contradicting and aggressive towards everyday people instead of just hillary or the moderator(s).

the third debate with chris wallace will be a big ol nothing in which hillary wins by decent margins. he will not have a chance for redemption, but he won't do as poorly as the first two debates. chis wallace may follow up on questions and keep time, but that's the most we can expect out of him.

i don't want to get overconfident, but unless there's a huge reversal of fortunes, i think the race goes from solid hillary to blowout.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If she outperforms on Latinos in Florida it might actually not be close. It could be like 1.5-2% instead of .8%.

I am honestly praying for Sunday. This is it. I can't imagine Trump doing THAT poorly again.

I mean, it would be tough for him to do worse.

That said, I have yet to see or hear him be compassionate with people, and that is one of the major aspects of the Town Hall debate. Plus, look at the guys who are working with him. Not seeing a compassionate bunch, other than Carson, who we haven't heard of at all recently. I'm skeptical he is even around any more.

Pyrokai

I still have faith in Ohio.

Boke1879

Initially calling out of the debate will be pence won and how much better he looked than Donald. I'm sure that's eating away at him and he likely won't say or do anything publicly.

After that though fact checkers I believe will go after Pence and also media will say he didn't defend Donald and show he outright lied about the things he said. It's catching on now.

Also for the next debate just based off reports Trump could possibly be even more desperate if he wants to attack Hillary for being cheated on. He could be more subdued in a town hall setting but that doesn't stop him from saying dumb shit. I think Hillary got this.

Also. Not that they were winning latinos anyway but "whipping out that Mexican thing." Ain't gonna play well lol

It's interesting to see the "winner" of last night having be on the defensive and own up to what was said, while the "loser" has nothing to have to explain or worry about being used against the campaign

Pixieking

Banned
Has Trump ever done a Town Hall? And I think it's very canny of Hillary to have done the PA Town Hall yesterday - essentially, debate-prep for Sunday. No reason to think she won't have this in the bag.

Diablos

Kaine winning the sound bite war as I suspected.
This debate is a wash and perhaps a win for Clinton if Trump is really pissed about it and the media is already calling MIKEPENCE out on lying/denying so many things.

Pence for Pres 2020 was born last night

Owzers

Pence summary: he lied really well, and even though we know he lied, that tone was so good!

Also, this liar is a really good person.

My singular concern for the debate is softball questioning. In every live Q&A I've ever seen for anything, people always ask the dumbest questions and are satisfied with any answer because they're so excited just to be chosen to speak.

Like, "I have a question for Mr. Donald: what is your FAVORITE part about running for president?"

As I've mentioned before. I haven't actually ever seen a town hall debate live. I'm not sure what to expect.

Folks the VP debate is just a warm-up for the 2nd debate, if Kaine wins the soundbite wars great but I expect UNHINGED TRUMP in the next couple of days, so it doesn't really matter.

KMS

The fact you can win a debate when it's acknowledged that you lied your ass off is kinda of ridiculous. Is this a debate for leader of the free world or a popularity contest for prom queen and king? People always say words matter then turn around and ignore everything said.

Cyanity

Banned
My singular concern for the debate is softball questioning. In every live Q&A I've ever seen for anything, people always ask the dumbest questions and are satisfied with any answer because they're so excited just to be chosen to speak.

Like, "I have a question for Mr. Donald: what is your FAVORITE part about running for president?"

As I've mentioned before. I haven't actually ever seen a town hall debate live. I'm not sure what to expect.

The questions are pre screened and generally substantive. They're just coming from real people instead of debate moderators, and the candidates are expected to address those people (undecideds).

Wait, the second debate is on a Sunday?

This Sunday, in fact!

The questions are pre screened and generally substantive. They're just coming from real people instead of debate moderators, and the candidates are expected to address those people (undecideds).

Okay, good.

Even though I have a hard time believing there are any actual undecideds deciding between Donald and Clinton, I'm less concerned with some filthy white guy asking Hillary if she laughed when she ordered the stand down and left those four brave Americans to die.

She's not outperforming, Orange Menace's underperforming bigly.

But with those numbers (and others) it's a blue FL for sure.

Cyanity

Banned
She's not outperforming, Orange Menace's underperforming bigly.

But with those numbers (and others) it's a blue FL for sure.

This is some pure uncut hopium here. Especially when considering the fact that 538 gives Trump less than a 5% chance of winning the race if he loses Florida.

I would be vary about Sunday too. Expectations from Trump are even lower than the first debate, that just makes it easier for him.

I want Clinton to be more forceful. Ask him if he is willing to apologize to the Khans right now, or Obama. Ask him to own up to his Birther tweets post 2011. Talk about how he wants to remove wall street regulations.

I would be vary about Sunday too. Expectations from Trump are even lower than the first debate, that just makes it easier for him.

I want Clinton to be more forceful. Ask him if he is willing to apologize to the Khans right now, or Obama. Ask him to own up to his Birther tweets post 2011. Talk about how he wants to remove wall street regulations.

What if he shits his pants live on stage Sunday? After something like that, the third debate is a lock for him, and that's right before the election!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Can't ask him to apologize during the debate because if he does it, he immediately wins and dominates the news for the days after. If would probably throw Hilary off too.

PBY

Banned
Can't ask him to apologize during the debate because if he does it, he immediately wins and dominates the news for the days after. If would probably throw Hilary off too.
The apology gambit sucks.

It can backfire in so many ways, what if he apologized and flips it to Benghazi? Or just refuses?

It can go wrong

Pence demonstrated how to at least step over the insanely low bar set for Trump; just lie in a semi-believable way, lie constantly, and bring up Clinton smear points regardless of subject. However, Trump is incapable of maintaining that temperament and Clinton makes Pence look amateur. I expect more of the same from the first debate with Trump unhinged but trying to force in more of the Pence like "burns" of the exact same tired Clinton smears, but in a far less coherent way.

Boke1879

Only way Hillary loses the 2nd debate is if she gets visibly upset. Donald could be more calm. At best the 2nd debate is a wash and even then I don't trust Trump not to say something fucking stupid like he did with his PTSD comments.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Clinton does not need to be more aggressive. That's the lesson from last night. When you are winning, don't be so annoying. Roll with the punches and punch back when someone says something truly bullshit.

Kaine would have been more effective if he didn't overreact yesterday and Clinton shouldn't either.

thefro

Only way Hillary loses the 2nd debate is if she gets visibly upset. Donald could be more calm. At best the 2nd debate is a wash and even then I don't trust Trump not to say something fucking stupid like he did with his PTSD comments.

Trump has to deal with actual undecided voters who won't be asking friendly questions of him.

Trump is going to literally insult people asking questions. I guarantee it happens. He's already done it in 100% of the Town Hall events he's had.

Boke1879

Clinton does not need to be more aggressive. That's the lesson from last night. When you are winning, don't be so annoying. Roll with the punches and punch back when someone says something truly bullshit.

Kaine would have been more effective if he didn't overreact yesterday and Clinton shouldn't either.

Well either way the debate will be a wash and Pence isn't going to win the fact checking or the soundbite war

I'm more worried about Clinton's Obamacare quote. Trump probably already has an ad ready to go.

I actually think this is great and I hope it comes up during the debate. Then HRC can say it has helped millions of people and was a great start we should build upon to make sure it benefits all Americans equally. Say that ObamaCare was never an end-all be-all and improvement to the program is in everyone's interest, especially hers. Applause ensues.

Cyanity

Banned
I actually think this is great and I hope it comes up during the debate. Then HRC can say it has helped millions of people and was a great start we should build upon to make sure it benefits all Americans equally. Say that ObamaCare was never an end-all be-all and improvement to the program is in everyone's interest, especially hers. Applause ensues.

This would be great. I think a lot of us in here forget how adept Clinton is at debating.

Diablos

Morning Joe basically saying Bill adopted the tea party 2010 argument with his fuck up Obamacare quote. He kind of did. I just hope it fades away soon. Not sure if it will.

Bill has really lost his touch since 2012.

Hillary can say whatever at the town hall but it's hard to spin your way out of a former Dem Pres saying the ACA is the craziest thing in the world to hard working Americans who can't get the subsidies

royalan

Jesus, is Morning Joe usually this annoying? I rarely watch it. Joe has been screaming about Bill Clinton all morning, even interrupting other stories with it.

Morning Joe basically saying Bill adopted the tea party 2010 argument with his fuck up Obamacare quote. He kind of did. I just hope it fades away soon. No sure if it will.

Bill has really lost his touch since 2012.

Bill just doesn't seem prepared today's reality where literally every word you say will be dissected and twisted.

Bill has always been this off-the-cuff from what I've seen. But the media of the 80s and 90s was more willing to take a statement within its full context compared today's "OMG! Erase the sentence before and the sentence after, and this looks really bad!!! Bill Clinton HATES Barack Obama!!!!"

CuANXFhUsAEwaOt.jpg:large

Poor Kaine :)-/)

Loads of articles about how Pence was lying every time he said Trump didn't say something. I'm not sure Kaine even said one lie the entire night

Not a chance Clinton loses her cool and even less chance Trump maintains his.

Exactly.

Trump will probably start arguing with a voter on Sunday, while Hillary will be in her element. She is a pro at town halls. Even better than a regular debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom