• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phased

I'm beginning to think the critics had it correct. Hillary was a compromise candidate no one liked.

Racists have always been there, but Trump wouldn't have won against Obama.

Obviously Michelle as president is fantasyland, but the woman commands respect and bleeds conviction in a way that Hillary never did.

Hopefully we learn our lesson for 2020.

I think her negatives ended up mattering a lot more than everyone gave credit to, especially me. It's possible people were just sick of the Clinton brand and that encouraged the massive turnout.

If that's the case I don't think it repeats again.

I'm legit stunned at the outcome, but I think if we run a solid candidate in 4 years we have just as good of a chance to take it back.

Giving up isn't an option though. Republicans didn't give up and they got resoundingly stomped the last 8 years. You don't win every election, and they're heartbreaking to lose, but you have to keep going.

Toxi

Banned
I kept saying how Trump and his supporters were in a alternate reality. Nope, just me and people on this forum living in the alternate reality. Holy fuck did everyone get it wrong, myself included. Massive fuck up. Our country deserves this. Obama was way too good for us. President Trump taking us 100 years backwards is about right. We only do well as the underdogs anyway. The only hope is he is so wildly incompetent he doesn't accomplish shit and we move through midterms with renewed Dem vigor and put a bullshit white guy on the ticket in 2020.
It's not this forum. It's fucking everyone. The polling completely missed a demographic.

On the bright side, maybe Donald "I eat fast food all the time" Trump won't be able to take the stress and we'll have Mike Pence as President, which fine, I'll take it.

On a more vindictive note, I hope whatever economic consequences that are gonna happen because of this hit those rural fucks the hardest.
I mean of course it will. Mike Pence is terrible too as much as I want Trump to drop dead. The world is doomed regardless. We're bringing steel back!

Bowdz

My thought is that they only got as bad as they did because of Obama and their hatred of him. Without a "villain" to spite, maybe they'll calm down.

They had free reign in the early 2000s, and at least managed to sort of function.

Let's hope.

I pray that they prevent mass deportations. I pray that they implement an infrastructure bill. I pray that they prevent legislation that'd encourage or facilitate hate crimes. I pray that they come to their senses on climate change or at the very least don't bend over backwards to oil companies. I pray that they show some fiscal responsibility.

I'm not holding my breath, but I pray that they show some restraint.

AniHawk

you people are fucking delusional. Trump is president. Hatred won. Bigots everywhere feel success. If you are a minority well shit might as well bunker down. Seriously.

yeah i can only imagine that for a lot of white males, the shellshock is all that's felt at the minimum (like me). i can't fathom what's going through the minds of literally anyone else.

Jackson50

Get Yellen on the phone. She needs to tank the economy for the next four years to completely discredit Trump. This needs to happen.

I hope people realize now how much of an echo chamber this thread is. I agree with 90% what you guys say, but it's an echo chamber.

It was more than an echo chamber. Most of the things said in here were backed with research, almost nothing about Clinton winning this election seemed that far-fetched from all the data gathered. The data was all just...horribly wrong, apparently.

Slacker

And why did it work? Because the GOP controlled the House and could hold hearings and drag people out whenever they wanted. Yay midterms.

Yep. The lesson here is that to win the Democrats need to nominate someone who is basically squeaky clean. Republicans can nominate literally anyone.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I hope people realize now how much of an echo chamber this thread is. I agree with 90% what you guys say, but it's an echo chamber.
Gonna disagree with this. The media is just as stunned. All the polls and pundits had it wrong. It's not like we were living in our own alternate universe.

PBY

Banned
It was more than an echo chamber. Most of the things said in here were backed with research, almost nothing about Clinton winning this election seemed that far-fetched from all the data gathered. The data was all just...horribly wrong, apparently.
Nate had a sense - and he got trashed here

Blader

The PoliGAF echo chamber has no bearing on the polls and internal campaign data -- on both sides -- that pointed to a completely different result.

Dierce

Get Yellen on the phone. She needs to tank the economy for the next four years to completely discredit Trump. This needs to happen.
Why would she need to do that? Trump will do it on his own with his very presence. None of the bullshit economics he talked about work in the real world without serious repercussions.

Kid Heart

One of the real big pitcture issues I'm worried about is China and Japan are on a knifes edge on slipping into a recession at best. China halted stock trading in their markets a year ago and is on the verge of a real estate crisis that makes 2008 look like baby's first market crash.

With markets tanking, and on the eve of a supply-side economics with major austerity measures, I have a feeling we are not going to be doing well economically going forward.

I was really feeling too depressed to talk about it before, but I feels now the time were I admit that I've been out of a job for a few months now, and with how the market will react to this news I am legit worried about finding one. One of the company's I have interviewed with seems to be going great so far, but if that doesn't hold then tbh I suspect I might have to wait a bit longer to find one...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think the better charisma always wins theory and the Keys to the White House model is somewhat vindicated, though the split in the popular and electoral vote makes it hard to say with certainty.

Sianos

you people are fucking delusional. Trump is president. Hatred won. Bigots everywhere feel success. If you are a minority well shit might as well bunker down. Seriously.
Hatred won. But we can't give up.

The world is headed down a dark path as nationalism comes to a head as a reactionary movement against unprecedented coming together of the world and we continue to ignore the implications of the rise of automation. But no matter what, we can't stop fighting.

These are the death throes of white nationalism clawing their way back into power. It's time for progressives to stop bickering, unite, and finish them off.

Alright PoliGAF... Calm down. Breath out. We'll hit em again in two years... and again hopefully in 4.

I hoped you learned your lesson... Don't bet on Clinton.

Yep, was getting some "Bernie in Michigan" deja vu once Florida started going sideways.

HTupolev

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Systematic Polling Error

D:

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yep. The lesson here is that to win the Democrats need to nominate someone who is basically squeaky clean. Republicans can nominate literally anyone.

Clinton is squeaky clean! Where the fuck are the Dems going to find someone who never made a single procedural error in their entire career? Because apparently that's all it takes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom