• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT15| Orange is the New Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Could we win with any candidate in 2020 with the mass amount of gerrymandering the GOP is gonna do?

We'd have to win over the demo's that the GOP is gerrymandering for. I have no idea how we'd go about that.

It's possible after 4 years of recession people will realize their supposed scapegoats were false, but that notion is predicated on the notion that racism is a consequence of economic "anxiety" which I definitely don't believe.

Do you guys think house and senate republicans will actually go for all the crazy shit Trump wants to do (mass deportations, the wall, killing all the trade deals, nato, etc...)?

That's a smokescreen.

The regular stuff republicans want to do is bad enough.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Maybe Obama was a fluke?

Maybe this has always been America and Obama just came at the right place at the right time

I feel so confused by my country right now. Did these people just hate McCain and Romney?

Obama is an exceptional campaigner. An all time great. That he's black is a detriment to his appeal.* If he was white, he'd be even more popular nationally.

That said, a potato would have won in 2008. 2012 was his big win.

The USA is a far more right wing country than the Democrats behaved. That said, a progressive message is harder to transmit because many of the core issues - abortion, anti-racism, healthcare - are immediately alienating to a lot of the right. Also, there are always more rights to grant and progressives are never satisfied (I don't blame them). Whereas the right wing regress to a bunker mentality of fear - they'll take our country.

*obviously it helps amongst AAs and in terms of being a historic moment, but broadly speaking it is fair

How soon will Trump start to try to shut down the media? He's already said as president he would go after any media that talks bad about him.
Our only hope is Kennedy and Roberts.

Whoever Trump appoints is going to be insane. They won't care about anything but what Trump wants.

We have to hope that Kennedy and Roberts are willing to look at this and say it's too far for them.

royalan

White voters aren't the only ones to blame:

Byron TauVerified account
‏@ByronTau
Trump did better than Romney among blacks by 5 points. He did 2 points better among Latinos.

I blame this solely on the media spending the last year and half making the email non-story seem more nefarious than Trump wanting to deport 11 million immigrants. More nefarious than his constant denigration of Muslims. More nefarious than sexual assault. More nefarious than the constant deligitimization of our sitting president. More nefarious than calling a hit on and threatening to jail a political opponent. More nefarious than the head of the FBI purposefully acting to influence the election.

The email story should have been dropped months ago. There was literally NOTHING there. But emails made Hillary Clinton more evil than Donald Trump. Our media is an absolute disgrace.

You can disagree, I don't care. I know where I'm personally assigning blame. But one thing can't be denied by anyone: our society, on every level, was not ready to combat the will of a fascist. And we should all be ashamed.

Planned Parenthood
Womens right to choose
LGBT rights
Immigration and the status of immigrants
SCOTUS

These are things that are going to be affected. These are things that motherfuckers who decided to vote for Trump want to ruin.

Fuck.

Diablos

That's a smokescreen.

The regular stuff republicans want to do is bad enough.
I literally have no idea what to expect from his Presidency. I can't think of anything being good. I think the only good thing I ever heard him say is that he would break with his party and allow for gun background checks for those on the terror watch list. One thing.

Veitsev

Maybe Obama was a fluke?

Maybe this has always been America and Obama just came at the right place at the right time

I feel so confused by my country right now. Did these people just hate McCain and Romney?

Trump was the Great White Hope. He gave them exactly what they wanted in a candidate. He took everything they had been digesting in right wing talk radio and Fox News and gave it human form.

We didn't want to believe it would have this impact because we had more faith in this country than it deserved. We were wrong.

We thought this country had progressed in a positive direction and that the conservative policies and bigotry was something that this country was moving away from. That Obama represented a new coalition that would serve as a firewall against that particular breed of conservatism. We are probably a good 20 years too early to be thinking that. The generations in power that want this aren't going to give up. They are going to fight as hard as they can and do as much damage as possible.

sphagnum

Banned
Primary elections how do they work!?

It doesn't fucking matter. Just accept that there are millions of bone headed morons in America who hate Hillary. Those same exact bone headed morons loved Bill.

You NEED someone who isn't dry and hasn't been smeared for three decades with shit. What we have just seen is that people don't care and out policy.

Biden would've won. Obviously he couldn't run because of his son, but voters want someone who they think will fight for them, WHETHER IT'S TRUE OR NOT.

I guess we're going to test the theory that a Trump presidency will create a backlash so intense that the Democrats take over for decades.

I'm skeptical of that, but it's my best hope at this point.

We're dealing with a red backlash right now after getting Obama. Can we Dems counter-backlash? I don't know. Tonight has been extremely disheartening.

mo60

The good thing about this election is that despite trump winning this election he was really weak in some typical republican states like GA, AZ and to a lesser extent TX. This bodes really well for 2020 if the dems can take advantage of his weakness in those states.

It doesn't fucking matter. Just accept that there are millions of bone headed morons in America who hate Hillary. Those same exact bone headed morons loved Bill.

You NEED someone who isn't dry and hasn't been smeared for three decades with shit. What we have just seen is that people don't care and out policy.

Biden would've won. Obviously he couldn't run because of his son, but voters want someone who they think will fight for them, WHETHER IT'S TRUE OR NOT.

I think they do.

The media just refuses to talk about policy.

Dan Pfeiffer ‏@danpfeiffer 1h1 hour ago
Whatever happens tonight, everything, everyone has believed about polls, data, and the electoral map is being turned on its head

Yep, everything is up in the air now

Joeytj

Banned
Well guys, Pennsylvania is going Trump (not being called yet, but it's clear).

Nate Silver was right, Hillary's coalition was too inefficient in the electoral college, even then Trump simply overperformed incredibly. Millennials also took for granted too much of Obama's progress.

But, we just have to fight on. The demographics are still on our side and now the Democrats are going to be the opposition party once war, sadly with a lot of obstacles in our way.

But Obama won't just go into the sunset. I have no doubt that he (maybe Hillary), Michelle, Warren, Bernie?, and others, will fight on.

That's all there's left, just keep going.

This is true.

Hillary is a good person, but that no one believed she was a good person probably should have been more important to the party before deciding on her before the primaries.

AniHawk

I blame this solely on the media spending the last year and half making the email non-story seem more nefarious than Trump wanting to deport 11 million immigrants. More nefarious than his constant denigration of Muslims. More nefarious than sexual assault. More nefarious than the constant deligitimization of our sitting president. More nefarious than calling a hit on and threatening to jail a political opponent. More nefarious than the head of the FBI purposefully acting to influence the election.

The email story should have been dropped months ago. There was literally NOTHING there. But emails made Hillary Clinton more evil than Donald Trump. Our media is an absolute disgrace.

You can disagree, I don't care. I know where I'm personally assigning blame. But one thing can't be denied by anyone: our society, on every level, was not ready to combat the will of a fascist. And we should all be ashamed.

when we're facing crisis after crisis and scandal after scandal, i hope people remember e-mails scared the crap out of them.

when rights are being taken away and people are being marginalized on the color of their skin, i hope people still feel good about their protest vote and write-ins.

Diablos

The good thing about this election is that despite trump winning this election he was really weak in some typical republican states like GA, AZ and to a lesser extent TX. This bodes really well for 2020 if the dems can take advantage of his weakness in those states.
Good luck finding the right candidate. The Democratic party is now basically Obama and no one else. Dems really fucked up finding good candidates who can win in competitive races over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom