• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

JP_

Banned
If you don't want to call your senator, don't bother trying to rationalize your reasoning publicly -- just shut up and let others do the work you don't want to.

dramatis

I know that the ultimate ideal fix for the Senate is to abolish it, but I think that's unrealistic.

Fixing the House comes with concrete steps like increasing House member count, adjusting the way in which House members are distributed across the states, or things like MMP, etc.

Are there no concrete steps that we can lay out as a roadmap to the eventual abolishing of the Senate? I feel like there might be a period of time in which after 'fixing' the House, there needs to be a transfer of powers and responsibilities from the Senate to the House (like SCOTUS and Cabinet confirmations, etc.).

I know that the ultimate ideal fix for the Senate is to abolish it, but I think that's unrealistic.

Fixing the House comes with concrete steps like increasing House member count, adjusting the way in which House members are distributed across the states, or things like MMP, etc.

Are there no concrete steps that we can lay out as a roadmap to the eventual abolishing of the Senate? I feel like there might be a period of time in which after 'fixing' the House, there needs to be a transfer of powers and responsibilities from the Senate to the House (like SCOTUS and Cabinet confirmations, etc.).

Yeah, removing powers to the House is the only feasible move, and only after fixing the House.

Clefargle

P4319I8.jpg

lol

Lol yup

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
All elected officials represent their districts. They do listen to their constituents when they speak up. Literally anyone in any position to know says this is true, so there's no reason to question it. On an issue like this, they're going to be wary of an inflated response from an energized opposition.

The simple fact some of you are missing in your calculations here is that most of Republicans' constituents support their shitty policies. That's why they were elected. The fact that they don't support you specifically doesn't make this untrue. You are outnumbered.

You know who does take the time to call their representatives? Old people. You know who doesn't usually? Millennials.

If you're a republican senator you've had literally years of calls, letters, emails from your constituents about Obamacare being evil. Now over a period of 6 months there's a ton of people speaking up in its defense? They're going to attribute most of that to a national campaign skewing things, and they're not wrong. But it still makes them nervous, and it might even push one or two over the edge.

But it's really not hard to understand where they're at mentally.

If young liberals as a group want to be taken more seriously by their representatives they should be more consistently engaged with politics and with their representatives, not just when there's one big issue going on. If anything actually good will come from Trump, it's probably that. Dragging young people back into politics.

royalan

What's everyone's problem with the Senate now? They got plenty of problems but aren't they a little less insane than the House in general?

In theory they should be, since they can't gerrymander their seats to safety.

But, eh, Republicans. ��

All elected officials represent their districts. They do listen to their constituents when they speak up. Literally anyone in any position to know says this is true, so there's no reason to question it. On an issue like this, they're going to be wary of an inflated response from an energized opposition.

The simple fact some of you are missing in your calculations here is that most of Republicans' constituents support their shitty policies. That's why they were elected. The fact that they don't support you specifically doesn't make this untrue. You are outnumbered.

You know who does take the time to call their representatives? Old people. You know who doesn't usually? Millennials.

If you're a republican senator you've had literally years of calls, letters, emails from your constituents about Obamacare being evil. Now over a period of 6 months there's a ton of people speaking up in its defense? They're going to attribute most of that to a national campaign skewing things, and they're not wrong. But it still makes them nervous, and it might even push one or two over the edge.

If young liberals as a group want to be taken more seriously by their representatives they should be more consistently engaged with politics and with their representatives, not just when there's one big issue going on. If anything actually good will come from Trump, it's probably that. Dragging young people back into politics.

And why is that? Why have Republican Senators been getting slammed with cries to repeal Obamacare despite polling showing that each individual component of Obamacare is popular? Despite polling showing that Obamacare's popularity shoots up when you call it the ACA?

And why hasn't this affected Democratic Senators, who also have constituents?

Maybe because the Republican party has spent that last eight years turning the ACA into a boogieman they can run against. This is a situation of their own making. They've created the situation where their voters will both hate them from repealing Obamacare and hate them for keeping it.

NoName999

Neoliberal Chuck Schumer: Democrats are open to single payer"

The Democratic Party will consider proposing a single-payer health insurance system, Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York said.

“We’re going to look at broader things [for the nation’s health care system.] Single-payer is one of them,” Schumer said to ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos on “This Week” Sunday.

The top Democrat in the Senate added that single-payer is among a number of health insurance options.

“Many things are on the table,” Schumer said. “Medicare for people above 55 is on the table. A buy-in to Medicare is on the table. Buy-in to Medicaid is on the table.”

But the Dems are neolibs and don't listen to the "true progressives" am I right?

Holmes

If you don't want to call your senator, don't bother trying to rationalize your reasoning publicly -- just shut up and let others do the work you don't want to.
There's no reason to call my Bay Area Representative or California Senators. Although DiFi isn't perfect,s she's reliable.

UberTag

Not only do I agree with all of the above but what's stopping people in this thread from calling Senators and House representatives in OTHER states that aren't theirs?

If you're hitting a full voicemail box or getting the run around from automated recordings, get a number for someone in another state that IS getting calls. You'd better believe the alt-right crew aren't dissuaded from harassing folks from out of state that are vulnerable to having their mind changed.

Ditto for folks in liberal hotbeds that don't NEED to call their representatives 'cause they're sane.

Not only do I agree with all of the above but what's stopping people in this thread from calling Senators and House representatives in OTHER states that aren't theirs?

If you're hitting a full voicemail box or getting the run around from automated recordings, get a number for someone in another state that IS getting calls. You'd better believe the alt-right crew aren't dissuaded from harassing folks from out of state that are vulnerable to having their mind changed.

Ditto for folks in liberal hotbeds that don't NEED to call their representatives 'cause they're sane.

Because people shouldn't be calling other states senators. It's a good way to get senators to stop accepting calls when they aren't coming from constituents.

It's also a good idea, if you're in a state with a sane senator or rep, to call and THANK them when they vote the right way, or encourage them to continue to do so.

Necrovex

I support single-payer and all, but I'm worried how people will react when it comes to the tax hikes. Seeing how CO failed to pass its single-payer system referendum (80-20), when the tax hikes were obvious, makes me feel the US still has a way to go before the populous will tolerate an increase. Though, of course, I may be missing something vital from this vote.

What do you know, one of Trump's sycophantic hires for a job he's unqualified for because he likes rich people is absolutely terrible at his job.

I'm SHOCKED.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I support single-payer and all, but I'm worried how people will react when it comes to the tax hikes. Seeing how CO failed to pass its single-payer system referendum (80-20), when the tax hikes were obvious, makes me feel the US still has a way to go before the populous will tolerate an increase. Though, of course, I may be missing something vital from this vote.

Single-payer is dead on arrival in the United States at this point. It just isn't happening, and democrats would be foolish to run on it in 2018 because the tax hikes alone would drive people to the polls and could cost them the House takeover.

teiresias

I mean, Obama was the first president to do the weekly addresses on video, so terming this state-run-TV seems a bit hyperbolic. Has Trump even been doing weekly addresses thus far?

barber

I guess the fear of him doing the daily briefs that some people had here due to how he looked the first day has disapeared.

Just so you know, if McCain comes back with the sole purpose just to vote for a straight repeal of Obamacare I will say things about him on this forum that will probably get me banned.

Just so you know, if McCain comes back with the sole purpose just to vote for a straight repeal of Obamacare I will say things about him on this forum that will probably get me banned.

Wouldn't that be some shit? Dude getting some of the greatest healthcare on the planet to ease his suffering voting to deny others even basic health care. Unimaginably cruel if it played out like that.

Ogodei

My vision for the Senate would be a body of vastly reduced responsibility that would have veto power over laws and presidential appointments (so sort of the opposite of where now they have to *approve* those things, now they would have to have a 2/3rds majority to be able to override other branches of government as a safety valve).

And it would go back to being state-government appointed. A body representing the states rather than the people, such that if 2/3rds of the states object to something even if the House or the President want it, then it does not happen.

Making it state-government based would also let you skip a step in the Amendment process, as an amendment could pass like an impeachment now: majority of the House plus a 2/3rds vote in the Senate.

The House would be proportional representation, but on the state level, allowing for the two Big Tent parties to break off (so instead of Democrats, you'd have Democrats, Labor, an Afro-American party, and a Hispanic party, and instead of Republicans you'd have Republicans, Evangelicals, and White Nationalists, plus an expanded role for Greens and Libertarians, the latter moreso than the former due to stronger appeal out west).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom