• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

I guess I just don't understand what Sessions would have to gain from resigning. If he wanted to do it to stop the Russia investigation, he could have just not recused himself. If he wanted to do it to protect Trump, I'd have to believe that he was loyal to Trump enough to throw himself on that sword...which I have a hard time believing is the case.

If Trump wants him gone, he's going to have to fire him.

He could probably win his senate seat back, though I don't know if he would want it since he would likely lose his seniority. At any rate, the answer is that he would resign to stop having to work under the petulant man-child who is ridiculing him publicly on a daily basis

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ugh, just got an email from some liberal group in all caps "THE SENATE IS VOTING TO REPEAL HEALTHCARE TONIGHT!"

Seriously guys? No need to lie to bring panic to people, misleading them on what's happening today. Try explaining to them the actual process. It's still a big deal without lying about it :/

Also thanks ACLU, I wasn't getting this junk until I donated to you!

You think they're dragging McCain across the country for a procedural vote? They're going to rush through it all today.

Cheebo

Banned
Ugh, just got an email from some liberal group in all caps "THE SENATE IS VOTING TO REPEAL HEALTHCARE TONIGHT!"

Seriously guys? No need to lie to bring panic to people, misleading them on what's happening today. Try explaining to them the actual process. It's still a big deal without lying about it :/

Also thanks ACLU, I wasn't getting this junk until I donated to you!

Except that is exactly what the senate is doing tonight.

You think they're dragging McCain across the country for a procedural vote? They're going to rush through it all today.

Even if that were true (it probably isn't), that doesn't really change that the email is misleading people to panic them, since it's presenting as if it's just a matter of fact thing happening, when it's not.

McCain is coming back to work. He isn't just flying in for this one vote and flying home.

Except that is exactly what the senate is doing tonight.

No it isn't

They can't, they have to wait 36 hours.

No they don't. That's just the max time McConnell has to pull out an actual bill.

There's a reason why everyone here thinks the Senate's actions today are insane. The fact that they need a brain cancer addled man on his death bed just to try to get pity votes for a simple MTP on a bill no one wants or even knows exists.

AN MTP.

When? Where?

I never heard this

At a boy scout get together

No really

He said this to little boys.

He also talked about yacht orgies

To grade schoolers

There's a reason why everyone here thinks the Senate's actions today are insane. The fact that they need a brain cancer addled man on his death bed just to try to get pity votes for a simple MTP on a bill no one wants or even knows exists.

AN MTP.

Exactly. There's no higher plan here, they're just flying by the seat of their pants and hoping it all works out. They aren't even at a point where they could rush the bill if they even wanted to. Which quite a lot of senators don't want to do.

brother told me this,

He expects Trump to fire Sessions on saturday night or sunday when the senate recess starts.

why?

He then can appoint a temporary AG who then will be able to fire rosenstein, Mueller and anyone else he wants.

a repeat of the sunday night massacre.

Then trump will dismiss the temporary AG right before the senate comes back.

so he said everyone should call their senators and congressmen, especially the DEMs and tell them not to leave D.C. so the recess won't start. meaning trump will be unable to appoint a temporary AG, instead he must nominate a AG and they go about standard procedure of hearings and senate voting them in.

At a boy scout get together

No really

He said this to little boys.

He also talked about yacht orgies

To grade schoolers

Exactly. There's no higher plan here, they're just flying by the seat of their pants and hoping it all works out. They aren't even at a point where they could rush the bill if they even wanted to. Which quite a lot of senators don't want to do.

Plus they have to deal with the moderates, who will all refuse a full repeal with no replace and Paul, who only agreed to the MTP so long as the MTP includes a full repeal with no replace, which is the ONLY bill he intends to try passing. No matter how the math works, they don't have the votes to pass, only to maybe MTP.

Pyrokai

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I'm trying to stay sane. I can't TOTALLY tune out, so I have kind of an oddball question that I hope the answer to will make me feel better:

The question:

A lot of people have referred to this health care legislation as one of the biggest transfers of wealth from the poor to the rich in the history of the country, and I'm believe it.

But let's just say the worst version of this bill this passes, and life somehow scoots on until 2020 where, if we've somehow survived until then, there is a new Dem president and at least one chamber of Congress.

Can a hypothetical Medicare-for-All passage result in the reversal of this massive transfer of wealth?

Simple question, I guess, with some bloat before it. Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks!

Pyrokai

brother told me this,

He expects Trump to fire Sessions on saturday night or sunday when the senate recess starts.

why?

He then can appoint a temporary AG who then will be able to fire rosenstein, Mueller and anyone else he wants.

so he said everyone should call their senators and congressmen, especially the DEMs and tell them not to leave D.C. so the recess won't start. meaning trump will be unable to appoint a temporary AG, instead he must nominate a AG and they go about standard procedure of hearings and senate voting them in.

I wouldn't be surprised.

For people worrying about Mueller being fired:

Trump critics are particularly enthusiastic about Schneiderman's efforts not only because Trump can't fire him but because presidential pardons would not protect the president, his family or his aides from state prosecution. Fordham University law professor Jed Handelsman Shugerman wrote last week that if Trump does fire the special counsel, Schneiderman "could hire Mueller and his team of lawyers. They'd have subpoena power under state criminal law."

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2017/07/donald_trump_might_fire_robert.html

Barzul

brother told me this,

why?

I don't think this can happen. Congress isn't technically in recess if at least one senator shows up everyday for like 10 minutes. It's not a super high barrier. Trump is not going to get a recess appointment.

also sounds like scaramuchie * spelling** is going around and firing Priebus loyalists, sounds like they are prepping to fire priebus.

I actually want them to fire priebus, because once preibus is out of this admin, I could see them losing most of the GoP support.

Doing a recess appointment with a senate majority would be really strange.

it would be, but it would absolve the GoPers, so they could all claim innocence. would also be damning

-------------------------------------

I called brown and spoke with a staffer and asked them if they could request Brown stay in D.C. during the recess and show up to prevent something like a recess appointment

also called portmen and requested he vote against the repeal effort, and said if they wanted to do a repeal and replace, that the replacement bill must be better than the aca, not just tax cuts for the rich.

Ecotic

brother told me this,

why?

Well the logic is sound, but I truly honestly don't think Trump could concoct such a multi-step plan unless someone told it to him. Even then I don't know if he could comprehend it.

I mean Trump's idea of a plan unfolded this morning, harassing Jeff Sessions on twitter into quitting. If that was his intended end game that's as complex as it gets for him.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
If Mueller is fired, can Schneiderman do the exact same investigation or is he limited to only certain crimes? Because if he can investigate collusion and obstruction that's very reassuring.

JettDash

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I'm trying to stay sane. I can't TOTALLY tune out, so I have kind of an oddball question that I hope the answer to will make me feel better:

The question:

A lot of people have referred to this health care legislation as one of the biggest transfers of wealth from the poor to the rich in the history of the country, and I'm believe it.

But let's just say the worst version of this bill this passes, and life somehow scoots on until 2020 where, if we've somehow survived until then, there is a new Dem president and at least one chamber of Congress.

Can a hypothetical Medicare-for-All passage result in the reversal of this massive transfer of wealth?

Simple question, I guess, with some bloat before it. Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks!

Both chambers would need to be Democratic for it to have a chance. But sure. They could enact tax hikes much higher than Obamacare to fund much more generous benefits.

SCOTUS squashed Obama's recess appointment attempts based on arcane rules, but the rules are the rules. They'd have to apply to Trump now as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If Mueller is fired, can Schneiderman do the exact same investigation or is he limited to only certain crimes? Because if he can investigate collusion and obstruction that's very reassuring.

Nope--money laundering by the family, etc. Could still bring down a lot of Trumps, but the rest would be scot-free.

He would probably have wide latitude for much of it considering Trump's base of operations was and is in NYC.

Edit: oh, but no it would not extend to his acts as President.

Both chambers would need to be Democratic for it to have a chance. But sure. They could enact tax hikes much higher than Obamacare to fund much more generous benefits.
I just really hope this effort to repeal ACA fails because I don't want us to get stuck in a loop where a Dem president will enact healthcare reform and then it gets repealed by the next president.

JettDash

SCOTUS squashed Obama's recess appointment attempts based on arcane rules, but the rules are the rules. They'd have to apply to Trump now as well.

But the Republicans held the House at the time so they were able to make sure that Congress never officially went into recess. Republicans have both chambers now so they can go into recess and let Trump have a recess appointment if they want.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bill Kristol‏Verified account @BillKristol

Have spoken with GOP members and staff who are sincerely conflicted & uncertain re right thing to do today on the health care vote.

Yet they'll still probably vote for the mtp.

If anything is going to speed up the dismissal of Sessions/Mueller, it's this.

Cameron Easley‏ @cameron_easley

.@SpeakerRyan on Sessions: "It's up to the president to decide what his personnel decision is."

There is nobody more spineless in Washington.

Plinko

Leigh Ann Caldwell‏Verified account @LACaldwellDC

NEWS: Vote plan as of now per 2 sources with @VaughnHillyard that ends with "skinny" repeal

DFlhCeZWAAIQCP6.jpg
Am I mistaken, or wouldn't this not pass reconciliation?

PBY

Banned
So USGAF, have ya'll been stripped of healthcare yet?

I mean, anyone who says they know what will happen has no clue. I just have zero faith in these fucks to do the right thing. Pretty much only trust Collins at this point.

Owzers

I mean, anyone who says they know what will happen has no clue. I just have zero faith in these fucks to do the right thing. Pretty much only trust Collins at this point.
Heller is the opposite of Collins, came out strong against, nothing changed, and now he's unsure with nervous laughter. Sad.

Am I mistaken, or wouldn't this not pass reconciliation?

It would increase the deficit via the tax cut, so yea, no reconciliation.

But anyway, I don't think there's enough votes to actually do a "skinny repeal" either? What member of the tea party wants that?

Also it would fund abortions, so...

We really need to stop comforting ourselves with the idea that rules, procedures, traditions, or optics are going to save us. For every flagrant transgression that's floated and eventually enacted, we wrap ourselves in the hope that those things will stop it and that we've finally found the red line...only to find that the red line was written on a dry-erase board and that Republicans hold the eraser.

The GOP in Congress right now, despite the deranged psychosis of the budding autocrat on the Oval, is perfectly willing to throw everything to the wind to sate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom