• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Oregon a liberal paradise?

They love liberals unless they're from Cali lately

Like many places in the US, urban centers are liberal. Rural areas can be quite backwards. Oregon as a whole was founded as a whites-only state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...as-an-all-white-state/?utm_term=.3e21464ea503

That details Portland, but when it was admitted into statehood, Oregon passed Black exclusion laws. Obviously things have changed since then. But you can't but help to wonder about the current demographics of even the larger cities and of course the fact this little girl could be right at home given her geography.

......and by a ludicrously small margin at that. I'd have to look but the African American vote turnout was down from 2012 in PA, I believe. Especially in key counties in Philly, no?

Black turnout was down everywhere, voter ID or not. Especially in poorer black precincts compared to 2012. You saw that pretty starkly in DC.

Isn't Oregon a liberal paradise?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...as-an-all-white-state/?utm_term=.29472829bacf

imrs.php

A Ku Klux Klan parade, East Main Street in Ashland, Ore., in the 1920s

Hindl

It was a really sad moment for me the first time I saw a Confederate flag in my hometown last year. There was never any shit like that growing up :(

Lucky. Growing up a house hung up a Confederate flag that was across the street from the local skating rink. And I grew up in New Jersey

It was a really sad moment for me the first time I saw a Confederate flag in my hometown last year. There was never any shit like that growing up :(
I did. I grew up in a more rural area, never thought much of it. I honestly thought it meant they were really big dukes of hazard fans or something

Also my dad had a Lynard Skynard album with a confederate flag design on it in his collection. So there was stuff like that for me but I just wasn't perceptive to it

Teggy

Uh

Margaret Kim is an Asian American. She’s definitely not a Republican. She’s also not… real. But that hasn’t stopped the Arizona Republican party from using Kim, the 1994 sitcom alter ego of living, Republican-loathing comedienne Margaret Cho, as an example of its diverse support.

The cast photograph of “All-American Girl” is prominently featured on the Arizona Republican Party’s official website with the caption “Asian Americans,” and sits on a page declaring that the political party will never “demand special rights for certain races, push policies that favor members of one group over another, or single out certain ethnic or social groups with the promise of special favors or political privileges.”

https://news.vice.com/story/arizona-gop-uses-margaret-cho-sitcom-pic-to-represent-asian-americans

I did. I grew up in a more rural area, never thought much of it. I honestly thought it meant they were really big dukes of hazard fans or something

Also my dad had a Lynard Skynard album with a confederate flag design on it in his collection. So there was stuff like that for me but I just wasn't perceptive to it
I'd seen it on the occasional bumper stickers but I didn't really get it either. I'd never seen someone actually have a literal flag until a couple years ago.

Holmes

Sanders is having a big town hall on health care in Detroit after yesterday's in Ohio. Say what you will but he's putting the time in.

I'm still back and forth on him as a candidate. I don't know where I stand.

Ernest

Banned
Manu Raju @mkraju
Sources confirm to me Trump blew up and swore at McConnell at not just Russia probe but also Russia sanctions bill.
letthemfight.gif

But if he's done nothing wrong and has no Russian ties, then why does he care so much about the probe and the sanctions?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sanders is having a big town hall on health care in Detroit after yesterday's in Ohio. Say what you will but he's putting the time in.

I'm still immensely frustrated at his conduct of attacking the DNC.
But pretty happy he apparently shifted to pushing for Medicare being "available" to all, which is by and far the best path forward at the moment.

Holmes

Also Sanders has been having sitting Congresspeople at his rallies/town halls (which have been predominantly but not exclusively in the Midwest) so I believe he's also cultivating support from the inside, which was a major issue for him last year.

Also Sanders has been having sitting Congresspeople at his rallies/town halls (which have been predominantly but not exclusively in the Midwest) so I believe he's also cultivating support from the inside, which was a major issue for him last year.

I really don't want anyone that old running. I think it was a real issue for Hillary, and it should instantly exclude Sanders and Biden. (Old obviously being a relative term for politicians, but still).

Holmes

I'm still immensely frustrated at his conduct of attacking the DNC.
But pretty happy he apparently shifted to pushing for Medicare being "available" to all, which is by and far the best path forward at the moment.
A big issue with him last year was his shit campaign team. In 2020 I would like to see a new team if he runs.

And ueah, the age thing sucks too.

Slizeezyc

A big issue with him last year was his shit campaign team. In 2020 I would like to see a new team if he runs.

And ueah, the age thing sucks too.

I don't really want him running, but I have no beef with him running and (maybe) losing in the primary. Let them all run if they want.

I used to have a Confederate flag with the face of Hank Williams Jr. that I thought was obviously ironic, harmless kitsch in the 90s.
fWmg0Ya.jpg

I wound up giving it to someone who either worked for Ralph Nader or Dennis Kucinich, I forget which. I remember seeing South will rise again t-shirts in Italy, too, come to think of it.

I mean, I'd certainly vote for him in the general election. I voted for him in last year's caucus but his behavior as the primary went on annoyed me.

Depends on who the frontrunners are, I suppose, or if Trump draws a legitimate GOP challenger. My priority right now is stopping Trump.

Vimes

Oh god it hadn't crossed my mind that the reason he was suddenly playing nice with the Dem establishment might be so he'd stand a better chance in a 2020 run.

I really hope he's just doing it because it's the right thing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Bernie actually does run despite being like 80 and manages to win, who would he pick for his VP?

Whoever it is would need to be young and super competent. Like ready to take over on day 0 competent.

Honestly, I'd rather not need to deal with that shit. He needs to not run.

The same people crying, "Nancy Pelosi should resign! New leadership!" will pull the lever for decrepit eighty-year-old Bernie Sanders as he presses his life alert.

After last year, I guess we'll continue to breach the limits of irony, won't we?

The same people crying, "Nancy Pelosi should resign! New leadership!" will pull the lever for decrepit eighty-year-old Bernie Sanders as he presses his life alert.

After last year, I guess we'll continue to breach the limits of irony, won't we?
Since Bernie Sanders has never been part of the Democratic leadership until recently, it is not ironic.

Kind of surprising how many people here don't know the history of Oregon yet know that Boston is a racist fuckhole.

I did know about Oregon, but my point was that in the South, people have a cover of "My family's always lived here, so to me, that flag represents Southern pride" when they own that stuff. It's probably not in good faith, but still. In Oregon? You kinda have to admit you're a racist if you have it. Or a rabid Dukes of Hazzard fan, I guess.

Pixieking

Banned
If Bernie actually does run despite being like 80 and manages to win, who would he pick for his VP?

Does it have to be a sitting politician? Because if not - Hillary as Veep. Not just for the shits-and-giggles factor, but because a) it would unite the party in a way something like Sanders/Warren would never do, and b) she has the fucking experience and policy know-how to be able to take-over at the drop of a hat.

Certainly baggage, and the GOP would love it. But at the same time, it would be the most united Dem ticket you could find.

Kind of surprising how many people here don't know the history of Oregon yet know that Boston is a racist fuckhole.
Because they don't have sports teams that win all the time so it's not brought up as a way to take shots at rivals

If the Trailblazers were like the Warriors right now I think this becomes more common knowledge

Does it have to be a sitting politician? Because if not - Hillary as Veep. Not just for the shits-and-giggles factor, but because a) it would unite the party in a way something like Sanders/Warren would never do, and b) she has the fucking experience and policy know-how to be able to take-over at the drop of a hat.

Certainly baggage, and the GOP would love it. But at the same time, it would be the most united Dem ticket you could find.
This is the worst idea ever

Bernie should tap Kamala Harris or something if he manages to win a primary. Bring back Hillary is just, next level insane.

Pixieking

Banned
This is the worst idea ever

Bernie should tap Kamala Harris or something if he manages to win a primary. Bring back Hillary is just, next level insane.

*shrugs* Sure, insane. But, really, Kamala? An 80 year old would be President - What if he has a heart attack at inauguration? Would you be confident in Kamala running the country for a potential 4 years, bearing in mind the GOP/Fox News would be ready to make a big deal out of any slips.

Edit: Sorry, he'd be 79 at inauguration.

Slizeezyc

*shrugs* Sure, insane. But, really, Kamala? An 80 year old would be President - What if he has a heart attack at inauguration? Would you be confident in Kamala running the country for a potential 4 years, bearing in mind the GOP/Fox News would be ready to make a big deal out of any slips.

Edit: Sorry, he'd be 79 at inauguration.

Yes...

(Fox News is gonna do that thing either way)

Pixieking

Banned
Actually, I'm a dummy.

Bernie/Kander, obviously. :p

More seriously, at least Warren is both a woman, and has a decent amount of experience. And something like "she persisted" would be rally and campaign ad fodder for the Dems.

Yes...

(Fox News is gonna do that thing either way)

Sure, but it's about minimising their impact, and showing how ignorant they (and the GOP) are. Easier to do when you have someone with a lot more experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom