• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA Checkin' Off His List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

scorcho said:
Okay, I get that this is at hearts a civil rights and equality issue, but let's get real with the hyperbole. Trying to parallel the gay rights movement as equivalent to the black civil rights movement is offensive to the latter.

It may be offensive but that does not mean it's inaccurate. There ARE clear parallels with any and every civil rights movement.

Edit: wow, I didn't read the last page. I didn't realize that scorcho was so intent on minimizing gays and the struggle we've gone through. No one would argue that the gay rights struggle has been IDENTICAL to black civil rights. The fact that we both are struggle for equality however is a universal concept.

Mumei

scorcho said:
Beseda: civil rights issue I get, as I said multiple times in the past, but there is a huge gulf in the rights being asked

Compare the state of gay civil rights in the 1970s and black civil rights in the 1970s, and Huey Newton will tell you , "And I know through reading, and through my life experience and observations that homosexuals are not given freedom and liberty by anyone in the society. They might be the most oppresed people in the society."

There's a huge gulf between the rights being asked by gays in 2009 and blacks in 1960. There wasn't a huge gulf in, say, 1950.

Mumei said:
Compare the state of gay civil rights in the 1970s and black civil rights in the 1970s, and Huey Newton will tell you , "And I know through reading, and through my life experience and observations that homosexuals are not given freedom and liberty by anyone in the society. They might be the most oppresed people in the society."

There's a huge gulf between the rights being asked by gays in 2009 and blacks in 1960. There wasn't a huge gulf in, say, 1950.

Alan Turing for example.

PHOTOS Freedom for Obama.

Staff and volunteers from the Florida Keys-based Turtle Hospital release "Obama" the loggerhead sea turtle, at Higgs Beach in Key West, Florida, on July 4, 2009. The turtle was found severely ill January 19, the day before US President Barack Obama's inauguration and nicknamed after the 44th president of the United States. Turtle Hospital officials said that since the 200-pound reptile had come to the hospital at a historic moment, it was appropriate to release it to freedom on America's Independence Day anniversary.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

Hootie

Deus Ex Machina said:
PHOTOS Freedom for Obama.

Staff and volunteers from the Florida Keys-based Turtle Hospital release "Obama" the loggerhead sea turtle, at Higgs Beach in Key West, Florida, on July 4, 2009. The turtle was found severely ill January 19, the day before US President Barack Obama's inauguration and nicknamed after the 44th president of the United States. Turtle Hospital officials said that since the 200-pound reptile had come to the hospital at a historic moment, it was appropriate to release it to freedom on America's Independence Day anniversary.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01GReqUa2d3rU/610x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03YzbGkaTf8a0/610x.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Free at last! Free at last! Thank Poseidon almighty I am free at last!

PHOTOS The Obamas' July 4

610x.jpg

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama speak with residents as they arrive at Fort McNair in Washington, DC, on July 4, 2009 upon their return from Camp David.

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

President Barack Obama walks on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington before leaving to play golf in Virginia July 4, 2009.

810x.jpg

President Barack Obama kisses his daughter Malia as First Lady Michelle Obama and Sasha look on after he delivered a speech during an event to celebrate Independence Day and to honor military heroes and their families on the South Lawn at the White House in Washington, DC, on July 4, 2009

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

Deus Ex Machina said:
PHOTOS The Obamas' July 4

610x.jpg

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama speak with residents as they arrive at Fort McNair in Washington, DC, on July 4, 2009 upon their return from Camp David.

Michelle the pumpkin vampire?

Gaborn

I.F. said:
Oh Gaborn, you dreamer.

Naw, no one can predict 7 years from now or even 3 years. I just don't think it's a given that Obama will be re-elected and I think acting like it's a done deal is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Let's see what he does this term before you decide you want him for a second.

Gaborn said:
Naw, no one can predict 7 years from now or even 3 years. I just don't think it's a given that Obama will be re-elected and I think acting like it's a done deal is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Let's see what he does this term before you decide you want him for a second.
My personal preferences aside, looking at the state of the Republican party right now I would be truly shocked if they managed to field a legitimate threat to Obama.

Gaborn

I.F. said:
My personal preferences aside, looking at the state of the Republican party right now I would be legitimately shocked if they managed to field a legitimate threat to Obama.

3 years is a long time. Hell, in 2004 the Reps were claiming they'd have a "permanent Republican majority," I think it's wise to not make assumptions so far down the road so definitive.

Gaborn said:
3 years is a long time. Hell, in 2004 the Reps were claiming they'd have a "permanent Republican majority," I think it's wise to not make assumptions so far down the road so definitive.
At least in 2004 the Dems had promising rising stars, namely Hillary and Obama. Right now all of the Republicans' stars are getting shot down one after another. Obviously I'm not in possession of a crystal ball, but there is ample reason to believe Obama will be president until 2016.

Gaborn

I.F. said:
At least in 2004 the Dems had promising rising stars, namely Hillary and Obama. Right now all of the Republicans' stars are getting shot down one after another. Obviously I'm not in possession of a crystal ball, but there is ample reason to believe Obama will be president until 2016.

well obviously he's the favorite, incumbents usually have a decent track record of re-election. but there are too many variables to make a blanket statement yet.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I.F. said:
Anything can happen. Obama was the star of the 2004 convention, but few gave him a chance to unseat HRC in the year leading up to the primaries. The same on the GOP side - even throughout 2007 it was thought that McCain was in shambles and that Gules held all the momentum.

GrapeApes

Gaborn said:
Of course it isn't a given but the odds are on his side. Demographics are changing in this country and Republicans are shooting themselves left and right. It's Obama's to lose. Just as long as he doesn't fuck up his chances are pretty good.

Gaborn

GrapeApes said:
Of course it isn't a given but the odds are on his side. Demographics are changing in this country and Republicans are shooting themselves left and right. It's Obama's to lose. Just as long as he doesn't fuck up his chances are pretty good.

I agree with all of this, but I still wouldn't assume he absolutely WILL win. It's stupid to talk about "7 years from now" when we're not even to the mid term elections (which will probably be brutal for the Reps) of THIS term much less the next term.

besada

Banned
Gaborn said:

And yet you don't hesitate to assume he's going to be "four years off the job."

Both groups making assumptions are on shaky ground, but there's little question that your ground is much shakier.

Gaborn

besada said:
And yet you don't hesitate to assume he's going to be "four years off the job."

Both groups making assumptions are on shaky ground, but there's little question that your ground is much shakier.

I was using sarcasm to make a point. Either Obama will win or he will lose. He treated Obama winning as an absolute, so I used the reverse.

besada

Banned
Gaborn said:
I was using sarcasm to make a point. Either Obama will win or he will lose. He treated Obama winning as an absolute, so I used the reverse.

Yeah, but that's hardly the first time you've made that particular assumption. I don't care enough to scour your post history and do a quote list, but you've made a bit of a habit assuming that Obama won't win a second term. Maybe just wishful thinking on your part, but it leaves you in a weird position to quash the wishful thinking of others.

Gaborn

besada said:
Yeah, but that's hardly the first time you've made that particular assumption. I don't care enough to scour your post history and do a quote list, but you've made a bit of a habit assuming that Obama won't win a second term. Maybe just wishful thinking on your part, but it leaves you in a weird position to quash the wishful thinking of others.

I think I've only said that in response to people assuming that he is guaranteed to win in 2012. As I said, like any incumbent Obama has to be FAVORED to win in 2012, but at this point it's wayyyyyyyyyyy too far off to predict a winner.

Trurl

Banned
The last two times a party held the White House for only 4 years are Carter's presidency and and Cleveland's second administration--and in a way Cleveland was a fluke since he won the popular vote the year he lost to Harrison.

Sleeker

Hootie said:
Sasha and Malia look very excited to be there :lol

i have a sister about that age and she is exactly the same.
the secrets of the universe could be revealing in front of her and all she would want to do is go on MSN.

Trurl said:
The last two times a party held the White House for only 4 years are Carter's presidency and and Cleveland's second administration--and in a way Cleveland was a fluke since he won the popular vote the year he lost to Harrison.

More Carter similarities lol. November 2012 will be a sad day for Poligaf

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
PhoenixDark said:
More Carter similarities lol. November 2012 will be a sad day for Poligaf
lol more PhoenixDark political predictions that will result in epic failure - like always.

AniHawk

Pimpwerx said:
Speaking of which, is Michelle still being criticized for going sleeveless too often? PEACE.

That has got to be the single dumbest criticism of someone in the white house ever. Showing too much arm.

Tim-E

AniHawk said:
That has got to be the single dumbest criticism of someone in the white house ever. Showing too much arm.

They were just jealous because her arms are much more muscular than theirs.

AniHawk said:

The only petty criticism I thought of from those pics was her hair. One of them made her look as if she had decided to go for the almost-bald look...a look that wouldn't be friendly to her.

Cheebs

Is that the only short sleeve button-down shirt Obama has or something? I have been seeing him wear that same shirt since like he was a senator.

even though Obama's first few months are not perfect; seeing the insanity of Palin's actions as of late gives the American people a sigh of relief that she is not the VP.

the calm, smart and tactical thought process of Obama's brain compared to Palin's is a sigh of relief.

Makes us appreciate Obama even more when considering the thought a of McCain/Palin presidency in an alternate reality

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
Is that the only short sleeve button-down shirt Obama has or something? I have been seeing him wear that same shirt since like he was a senator.
He probably has several of them, like his identical suits and shoes.

Kittonwy

Banned
GrapeApes said:

You might want to wait at least a couple of years to see what kind of shape the country and the world are in before coronating him for a second term four months into his current term.

Mike M

Nick N
Kittonwy said:
You might want to wait at least a couple of years to see what kind of shape the country and the world are in before coronating him for a second term four months into his current term.
Four months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom