• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA Checkin' Off His List

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can only be patriotic if you are a Republican, don't you know anything?

And if the Democrats are in power then you're being patriotic by attempting to incite revolution to get your country back. IF YOU SUPPORT A DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT, YOU HATE AMERICA

laserbeam

Banned
polyh3dron said:
You can only be patriotic if you are a Republican, don't you know anything?

And if the Democrats are in power then you're being patriotic by attempting to incite revolution to get your country back.

It is at least a tad braver then "Fuck this I am moving to Canada."

Free Speech people get over it. Its amazing how quickly people turn against free speech when its not what you want to hear. They are actors playing a part for a political spectrum.

laserbeam said:
It is at least a tad braver then "Fuck this I am moving to Canada."

Free Speech people get over it. Its amazing how quickly people turn against free speech when its not what you want to hear. They are actors playing a part for a political spectrum.
Again, yelling "fire" in a movie theater is still illegal with the 1st amendment in place. So is calling for armed revolution against the federal government, especially when it is on national radio or television.

polyh3dron said:
So, Rush Limbaugh has now called armed insurrection of the US government and Glenn Beck has wished for the deaths of thousands of Americans, both on nationally broadcast talk shows. Why have they not been arrested yet.
Because if the people who would actually do those things woke up tomorrow and didn't hear Rush, it would be the 'go' signal. I'm very serious about that.

BobTheFork said:
Because if the people who would actually do those things woke up tomorrow and didn't hear Rush, it would be the 'go' signal. I'm very serious about that.
So Rush shouldn't be arrested for illegally inciting armed revolution against the US gov't because his listeners would actually take up arms if he was arrested? Hal Turner was just arrested recently for something similar.

laserbeam said:
Nothing wrong with the free speech . . . that's why I am free to point out how incredibly inane and hypocritical it is.

BTW, these are not actors . . . these are thinking people choosing their own words. So sorry if I have to hold them accountable.

Although one could make the argument that some people do become imprisoned by their own persona. What would happen if Rush suddenly had a change of heart? Would it destroy his career? Ariana Huffington made a big switch and survived. But then again, it is not like Rush needs the money. It is more ego at this point.

polyh3dron said:
So Rush shouldn't be arrested for illegally inciting armed revolution against the US gov't because his listeners would actually take up arms if he was arrested? Hal Turner was just arrested recently for something similar.
C'mon . . . it wasn't that bad. He deserves the criticism for being such a sore loser and a hypocrite. But there is no reality behind those joking statements.

mAcOdIn

speculawyer said:
It is clearly a joke . . . not any kind of real incitement to violence.
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200907060028

I just find it funny how the people on the right don't see the hypocrisy of endlessly saying "Why do you hate America?" during the Bush years & Iraq war . . . and are now outright talking about secession and violent coups.
To be fair, I think secession and revolution shouldn't be dissed in the same breath.

I still personally view secession as something that a State should have the right to do, if 80% or some shit of a State just don't want to be in the US anymore that is their right, I don't think it's very Democratic to say otherwise.

Revolution though, people need to be careful. There's always going to be people downright unhappy, always. If the revolutionaries are fighting against some injustice or the popular opinion is being held down by a few then yeah, fuck it, rebel, but I think people who speak of revolution have a responsibility to ensure that they do not become the tyrannical minority oppressing the majority.

That said, the difference between this country's right and left parties are in reality so fucking small that I find it hilarious that anyone would even entertain the need for a rebellion under either party.

polyh3dron said:

No, because Rush is an entertainer and what he said was quite clearly a joke and in no way actually threatening.

I'm all for the mocking of such people, but when you start advocating arrests, you're moving into a scary place.

polyh3dron said:
ok, bad way to put it. He WAS making a joking statement in this case so you can;t just take him off the air. If he meant it.... I don't know. He does have the right to say it, but there is a big debate to be had there.

speculawyer said:
C'mon . . . it wasn't that bad. He deserves the criticism for being such a sore loser and a hypocrite. But there is no reality behind those joking statements.
Those joking statements cause people to shoot up churches and do a whole bunch of crazy shit. There are people out there who take every word this guy says seriously and we have seen the consequences.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
No, because Rush is an entertainer and what he said was quite clearly a joke and in no way actually threatening.

I'm all for the mocking of such people, but when you start advocating arrests, you're moving into a scary place.
If not arrests then at least a FCC fine. Shit, Janet Jackson can't even show her nipple.

Obama, Putin meet at last

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090707/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama

NOVO OGARYOVO, Russia – President Barack Obama, meeting Tuesday with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin for the first time, called their talks "an excellent opportunity to put U.S.-Russian relations on a strong footing."

Putin told his guest: "With you, we link our hopes for the furtherance of relations between our two countries."

Putin warmly greeted Obama for talks on a clear, sunny morning in Nova Ogaryovo, a Moscow suburb where the prime minister's white and yellow traditional Russian-style mansion is situated along the Moscow River amid a forest of pine, birch and linden.

The body language was positive for both Obama and Putin, who had traded sharp barbs in the days preceding the U.S. president's flight to Moscow.

As the two appeared for a picture-taking session before commencing their private talks, Obama told Putin he "appreciated you taking the time to meet with me." For his part, Putin noted that U.S.-Russian relations have been marked by periods of chill, as well as times of relative warmth. And he said he was "glad to have the opportunity to get acquainted" with Obama, who is making his first trip to Russia.
610x.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BobTheFork said:
If you're very serious about that, then that just makes me all the more concerned about the power of their words in the minds of such people...

gutter_trash said:
looking at those numbers..... proves my point that the Left does not exist in the USA.
The Left that the media trouts out is actual the Center-Right

Mika has gotten worse in the past year, trying to be relevant
No, the issue is more with the word "Liberal" than it is with any actual political view. The one thing conservatives have been successful with has been stigmatizing the word. Few call themselves "Liberal" in this country regardless of ideology. Same goes for "Secular".

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
TPMDC Morning Roundup
By Eric Kleefeld - July 7, 2009, 9:00AM

Franken Being Sworn In Today
Sen.-elect Al Franken (D-MN) will be sworn into office today by Vice President Biden, at about noon. This ends a Senate race that lasted eight months beyond Election Day itself, and involved six months of litigation after the State Canvassing Board had completed the recount. Franken will take office six months plus one day after he would have been sworn in with the other Senators who were elected in 2008, if not for the sheer closeness of his race and the resulting litigation.

Obama's Day In Russia
President Obama had a working breakfast in Moscow with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, at 1 a.m. ET (9 a.m. local time). At 3 a.m. ET, he met with former President Mikhail Gorbachev. AT 3:15 a.m. ET, he delivered the commencement address for the 2009 graduation of the New Economic School. At 5:40 a.m. ET, he met one-on-one with President Dmitry Medvedev, and he and First Lady Michelle Obama attended a reception hosted by Medvedev at 6:10 a.m. ET. At 7:25 a.m. ET, Obama and Medvedev met with the Parallel Business Summit, and Obama met with the Parallel Civil Society Summit at 8:20 a.m. ET. AT 9:35 a.m ET, Obama will meet with Russian opposition leaders.

Biden's Day Ahead
Vice President Biden will have breakfast this morning with Sec. of State Hillary Clinton, at the Naval Observatory. Afterwards, he will host a Recovery Act Implementation Cabinet Meeting in his ceremonial office. At 12 p.m. ET, he will go to the Senate Floor to swear in Al Franken as the new U.S. Senator from Minnesota. At 1:30 p.m. ET, he will join Sec. of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius and Sec. of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, to issue the Food Safety Working Group's key findings. He will spend the remainder of the day in private meetings.

Palin, On Her Decision To Quit: "I Am Not A Quitter"
Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) told reporters that her decision to resign her office was based in large part on a series of ethics complaints against her, which she says are without merit but have distracted from her job. "I am not a quitter. I am a fighter," said Palin, who added that she will continue to work in public service, not ruling out a 2012 run for President or any other office.

Obama, Russia Agree On Arms-Reduction Framework
President Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev announced yesterday new agreements on Afghanistan policy and on cutting their two countries' nuclear arsenals. The new framework on nuclear arms reduction -- for which details still have to be worked out -- calls for the number of nuclear warheads to be reduced to between 1,500 and 1,675 within seven years, and the number of ballistic missiles to between 500 and 1,100.

Obama: U.S. And Russia Do not Have To Be Antagonists
Speaking to the New Economic School in Moscow, President Obama said that the U.S. and Russia do not have to be enemies in this new era. "Let me be clear: America wants a strong, peaceful and prosperous Russia," said Obama. He dismissed the old rivalry as an outdated way of thinking: "There is the 20th century view that the United States and Russia are destined to be antagonists, and that a strong Russia or a strong America can only assert themselves in opposition to one another."

GOP Could Try To Delay Sotomayor Hearings
Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), the head Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters that Republicans could try to delay the July 13 confirmation hearings for Sonia Sotomayor, on the grounds that they have been scheduled too early for the GOP to fully review her record. "We're going to try to be ready but if something comes up we'll definitely exercise what options are available," said Sessions.

Dem Centrists Threaten Obama's Agenda
The Hill reports that with Senate Democrats now at 60 seats, the major threat to President Obama's agenda comes not from Republicans but from centrists within the Democratic Party, like Mark Pryor of Arkansas or Joe Lieberman of Connecticut. Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl (R-AZ) said that "it is not all that common to have total party-line votes. If a couple of Democrats don't vote with their party, then it doesn't matter that they have 60 votes."​

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gutter_trash said:
looking at those numbers..... proves my point that the Left does not exist in the USA.
The Left that the media trouts out is actual the Center-Right

Mika has gotten worse in the past year, trying to be relevant

She's got really annoying only because she goes OUT of her way to be opposite of Obama sometimes. There's times when Joe does his bullshit and she just sits there and says nothing, even though there's information out there that proves Joe wrong.

PHOTOS Michelle's Morning (July 7, Moscow

550x.jpg

580x.jpg

610x.jpg

U.S. first lady Michelle Obama greets a nurse during her visit to St. Dmitriy Nursing College of Sisters of Mercy in Moscow

400x.jpg
370x.jpg

U.S. first lady Michelle Obama visits St. Dmitry Primary School, where around 160 students, many of them orphans, study in Moscow

500x.jpg

610x.jpg

480x.jpg

580x.jpg

570x.jpg

540x.jpg

....greeting graduates and audience members after giving a speech at the National Economic School graduation in Moscow

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
douche indeed! Funny cause the times ive seen the white house briefings Garret has been pretty fair compared to guys like Chip(i forget his last name) and April from BET.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Number 2 said:
The President dodged the question and because of that the question was asked again.
Sounded like he gave a pretty comprehensive explanation of what he meant to me. How do you think he dodged the question? What was missing from his explanation of his earlier comment?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
mckmas8808 said:
What did he ask?
President Obama was asked if Putin still has one foot stuck in the Cold War (which is what the President said a week or two ago). After remarking about how Putin grew up during the Cold War, the President said that he found Putin "smart, strong, shrewd." He also thought that Putin would like to see US/Russian relations improve. President Obama also talked about how there are differences between the US and Russia in events such as Georgia and common interests in things like terrorism.

After this the reporter asked the question again and the President said he already answered it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
kaching said:
Sounded like he gave a pretty comprehensive explanation of what he meant to me. How do you think he dodged the question? What was missing from his explanation of his earlier comment?
The question was after the meeting with Putin do you still feel he has a foot in the Cold War? ive replayed it several times and the President doesnt answer the question directly. President Obama only mentions the Cold War in that it was during Putins formative years.. after that his response strays from the question.

EDIT: What do people find so disrespectful about this? i dont see any disrespect.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Number 2, here's Fox's own auto text transcription of that part of the interview. Even accounting for transcription mistakes, I'm not seeing the dodge here:

I think that. -- you. He would admit that. His formative years were. You know were shaped in the Cold War and that some of it is. Continued grievances with respect to the west. Are still dated in some of the suspicions. That. Came out of that period. But as I said I think -- I think he genuinely. Would like to see. US Russian relations improve. I found him to be tough smart. Shrewd. Very unsentimental very pragmatic and on the areas where we disagree like Georgia.
Obama, forthright states Putin is suspicious of the west and has continued grievances, due to his formative years in the Cold War. Is that not answering the question of whether he still believes Putin has one foot in the Cold War?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
kaching said:
Number 2, here's Fox's own auto text transcription of that part of the interview. Even accounting for transcription mistakes, I'm not seeing the dodge here:

Obama, forthright states Putin is suspicious of the west and has continued grievances, due to his formative years in the Cold War. Is that not answering the question of whether he still believes Putin has one foot in the Cold War?
The President answered the question indirectly. The reporter, Major-whatever, did a follow up to get clarification of yes/no. i just dont see how that makes the guy out to be some douchebag.

EDIT: upon rereading my post, using the word "dodge" was probably a poor choice.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
He didn't answer anything "indirectly", he just put more explanation behind his earlier comment. I'm not the one who called the Fox News correspondents douchebags for the fact that they couldn't somehow clearly interpret his response as a "yes" without him discretely saying the word, but it was unprofessional. Major Garrett got his answer - you can tell by the way he portrays his relationship with Obama that he was more interested in playing up his responses for some drama than for reporting fact.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
kaching said:
He didn't answer anything "indirectly", he just put more explanation behind his earlier comment. I'm not the one who called the Fox News correspondents douchebags for the fact that they couldn't somehow clearly interpret his response as a "yes" without him discretely saying the word, but it was unprofessional. Major Garrett got his answer - you can tell by the way he portrays his relationship with Obama that he was more interested in playing up his responses for some drama than for reporting fact.
i understand what you are saying. Its still my belief that the answer was indirect. Maybe its just how i was raised. My parents were very strict with yes/no questions and didnt take well to starting off without a yes/no answer. i dont blame the President or any politician for answering like this.. its what they do. And it should be reporters job for getting clarification. i just didnt see what was so disrespectful about the whole affair. i was expecting something entirely different when i clicked that link.

As for Major Garrett playing things up for drama.. i cant really say since ive never even seen the guy afaik until just now. However, i wouldnt be surprised if it were the case with reporting being what it is today.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Tamanon said:
I don't want politicians answering yes or no to questions, there's no point.

And why should their answers just be yes or no? There's reason to why a politician has to explain their answer.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
lol @ Number 2

Indirect has a definition, look it up. And it has nothing to do with 'how you were raised'. Some douchebag Fox News reporter tried for a "gotcha" on Obama and made himself look a fool. Calling it like it is.

Cloudy

Banned
Forget the stupid and needlessly confrontational questioning. I found his mimmicking of Obama even more classless. A total lack of regard for the presidency...

Tamanon

Banned
Arms-control analysts who support Obama’s determination to conclude a new START agreement say that the stated reductions are significant because they are realistic enough to receive the legislative-branch ratification required in both countries, yet ambitious enough to act as a first step toward Obama’s vision of a world eventually free of nuclear arsenals.

“They’ve hit the sweet spot in finding numbers that will be a significant reduction and likely to get the necessary support in their respective parliaments,” says Joseph Cirincione, president of the Ploughshares Fund, a Washington foundation focused on nuclear-weapons reduction and nonproliferation.

The numbers announced Monday, Mr. Cirincione notes, amount to a 30 percent reduction in the nuclear arsenals of the two countries that possess 95 percent of the world’s nuclear weapons.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0706/p02s01-usfp.html

Of course, any non-zero number remaining is still a problem, but this is good news.

thefro

speculawyer said:
I can't ever see things getting to zero. Nukes are the ring in LOTR. People will just not give them up. But there is still a point in reducing stockpiles. They costs lots of money, they are a terrorist target, they are total overkill, we never plan to use them, etc.

I hope we do keep some around just in case of the "Killer Asteroid" scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom