• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: 95% of studios are working on or plan to release a Live Service Game

Thankfully it's only for those polled. 95% of all developers are certainly not all making live service games. Not to mention, live service can mean a lot of different things. Splatoon is technically a "live service game" as it consistently gets free & paid updates, but it's also sold for $60 and isn't a huge disappointment like Suicide Squad. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Nobody is saying any of that, on the contrary folks here expect the studios to be shut down when the product fails. If they fail, is it the fault of the people here on this board? We aren't obligated to support products we aren't interested in, and our voices have zero impact on the industry. If these games fail, it's because the devs and publishers failed not because we failed them.
No, and I never said it was anyone on "the boards" fault. I was just curious what people in this thread think will happen to studios like Rocksteady, Bungie, or the "95%" that the OP mentions in the thread title when all these games fail. *edited my original post to reflect this

Zannegan

Mixed Martial Arts No GIF by UFC

Glad i have Nintendo.
They'll just change the definition of live service to include Nintendo's stuff. "Zelda had an expansion. See? Live service!" Lol.

It's like that one kid that would insist every game is an RPG because every game has you play a role. Brilliant.

Crayon

Old men yell at clouds. gaas was super prevalent even at the start of ps4 and soon after fortnite brought it up to the prominence of today. Yet somehow excellent non-gaas games kept coming out the whole time. Go ahead and hate them for the sake of hating.

Full disclosure, I have yet to put in an assasins creed or any adventure game with an mtx store built in.

Bilu

I see people complaining at the same time as praising these games as service, they'd better make up their minds soon whether this is good for the industry or not.

StereoVsn

I wouldn't be surprised if only a few actually succeed. Too many people are trying to get a slice of that pie, and it doesn't always work.
Yeah, that’s the thing. People can only play one or two GaaS titles at a time. Most of these 94% will crash and burn.

These publishers are all nuts. And all of these need to compete with the big GaaS titles to boot.

Mahavastu

Only foam stars may succeed
we will see next week, when it is part of PS+
It looks stupid to me and I won't play it, but when I hear comments from people who actually played it they all say it is real fun to play.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yeah, that’s the thing. People can only play one or two GaaS titles at a time. Most of these 94% will crash and burn.

These publishers are all nuts. And all of these need to compete with the big GaaS titles to boot.
Your blind spot: This was always true. GAAS has quickly grown over the last 20 years despite that truth.

MiguelItUp

Very true! The unfortunate thing is that the crash and burn is gonna be the only way all of them will learn something. Because all they are concerned about is money signs.

StereoVsn

Your blind spot: This was always true. GAAS has quickly grown over the last 20 years despite that truth.
Yes and no. Overall market grew , but it’s mostly eaten up by the big titles. Occasionally something breaks out for a bit and it quiets down again.

Most GaaS titles crash and burn pretty quickly. It’s same on mobile market.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yes and no. Overall market grew , but it’s mostly eaten up by the big titles. Occasionally something breaks out for a bit and it quiets down again.
That's what will happen with every genre. As a genre matures, and as technology advances, it eventually becomes dominated by a small number of Ford class carrier type games (GAAS). This is the natural order.

Most GaaS titles crash and burn pretty quickly. It’s same on mobile market.
Most games fail in general. The AA bubble burst. The original IP AAA bubble burst. The big IP AAA bubble is slowly deflating as profits get smaller and smaller. GAAS represents stability as well as size.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Most games fail in general. The AA bubble burst. The original IP AAA bubble burst. The big IP AAA bubble is slowly deflating as profits get smaller and smaller. GAAS represents stability as well as size.
Does GaaS really represent stability? Very high percentage of GaaS titles fail and GaaS budgets are generally quite high. Plus with GaaS trends are even more important vs SP titles and games now days take too long to make for that trend chasing.

You can look at failures of many GaaS titles over last few years. At least with SP games players can finish them and play between GaaS games “dailies” , but with additional live titles those time slots are already taken.

I guess we shall see, but I can’t help but think that this is somewhat of a foolhardy endeavor for a lot of studios.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

If a Live Service game is defined as any game releasing some DLC here and there, then it makes sense most studios make them.

Is a solitaire game that is $5 which releases new card skins for 99 cents every couple months technically a live service game?
Yeah. I was wondering exactly that... What the fuck actually is a Live Service or GaaS game nowadays?

Wulfer

They're going to ditch this shit when they get flop after flop. The industry will correct itself.
What will be left of it! Development cost and closed ecosystems with trash some of these unsuspecting developers. Developers will be begging for Sony, MS and Nintendo to buy them.

people gotham GIF

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Just remember, the majority of these probably got greenlit at least about 3-4 years ago when companies thought that was the way to go in the industry. The back lash and quick failure rate are quickly catching up to companies. Unfortunately, because dev time is so long now, we won’t see a solid shift back for another 3-4 years. Me personally, I would love to see a game come out, especially shooters, drop a full price game and map packs or premium passes again. It’s a way for companies to still profit heavily, and be rewarded for actually putting out a “good” game. And, the gamer wins as well because of added content, and they won’t feel forced to spend more if they don’t like the game. It’s the only compromise I see that doesn’t have the console and PC gaming space failing (as we know it now) within the next 20 years.

Last edited:
Right , so you have a substantial amount of these games in development.

One of the standout traits of these kind of games is they require some significant player time and investment.

If your product isn’t exactly raising the bar, How do you expect the players to switch from service game to service game if they are already heavily invested in at least one or two of them?

They are deliberately drawn out experiences .

Last edited:

Generic

No, and I never said it was anyone on "the boards" fault. I was just curious what people in this thread think will happen to studios like Rocksteady, Bungie, or the "95%" that the OP mentions in the thread title when all these games fail. *edited my original post to reflect this
Only the strong will survive.

IAmRei

Japan is saving us

I'll just play Asian developed games :)
And recent situation between wokeness and launch issue in some of western games (AAA usually) provide more reason, for me as well, to spend more into japanese games lately. And recent years, japanese games kind of awesome as well. Suit me well. I heard some of people locally here also did the same. Might not massive numbers, but it's growing again i think.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Well, there seems to be a lot of people around here who like GaaS games, so who knows if this is the right strategy or not moving forward? It sure as shit ain't for me, but some people appear to like this half-assed garbage, so...?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah. I was wondering exactly that... What the fuck actually is a Live Service or GaaS game nowadays?
Who knows.

To me, it's anything that isn't a one and done priced game. No DLC, no mtx, no battle passes etc... means not GAAS. Is a game that releases an OST download for $10 live service too? It's a money making feature but not even game related.

I think most gamers think of it as the traditional big budget game with tons of weekly shit, battle passes, endless weapons skins etc... But I think the technical definition is really any game that releases extra content for money even if it's a couple budget priced items here and there.

Vampire Survivors is technically GAAS game because the guy releases extra content for like $1.99.

Last edited:
They will destroy the studio. Then those people will leave and build a new studio which hopefully will make better games that we are interested in supporting.

Cycle of life and all that...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Businesses wanting to release potential money maker to help fund other projects SHOCKER

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You all have seen how making new unique single player games works out. Both forspoken and immortals. Fine good games in new worlds were ridiculed and failed.

There are still some wins in this category like lies of p. But it’s much much harder for genuine games to take off. While crap like palworld takes off in a day

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Vampire Survivors is technically GAAS game because the guy releases extra content for like $1.99.

That's DLC though, yeah? Nothing wrong with DLC. You pay full price for a complete experience, and then at a later date that complete experience is expanded upon. I don't think anyone has an issue with that.

To me, GaaS games are ones where the gameplay loop is designed to keep you playing and spending, with no end in sight. The games don't have curated or unique levels, they don't have stories that reach a decent conclusion for your initial outlay. They're designed to keep you handing over cash indefinitely, and everything is geared towards that one goal - not to give the player a satisfying experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom