• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Poll] The best Metal Gear Solid game of all time?

The Best Metal Gear Solid game?

• Total voters

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Sons of Liberty
I've completed over 5 times and it still shows me something new with each play.
Also the best opening period, I still get chills

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
For MGSV voters

tenor.gif

-Troid-

Banned
If we're talking "Metal Gear Solid" MGS3 hands down.

If we're talking "Metal Gear" it's a tie between MGS3 and Metal Gear Rising. I could replay either any time.

ExpandKong

Banned
MGS3 and it's not even close y'all. One of the best games ever made.

While I'm here I'm just going to say that Twin Snakes is better than original MGS. Yeah the cutscenes are fucking silly. MGS is fucking silly. The bosses each get their own music and you can do the dumbassed shapeshifting card thing without backtracking through half the game. Sign me up.

MGS3 > MGS2 > MGSTS > MGS > MGS4 > MGSPW > MGSGZ > MGSPO --------------------------> MGSV

Rising is better than most of these but it doesn't have the word "Solid" in the title so fuck that game I guess.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
MGS 3 is a pleb game.

MGS PW is my fav.

MGS 2 is the best one. I voted that.

If MGS V was actually finished it might have been the best one.

MGS 4 is I understood that reference the game.

MGS is timeless. Remake was okay.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
1 and 3 are the best. I like 2 and 4 also, but they did not reach the heights of 1 and 3.

I didn’t really like 5. The PSP one was ok but the controls were shit with that one tiny nub.

VertigoOA

Banned
Snake Eater is the best in the series by far. MGSV is the best game in the series when it comes to gameplay and the options presented in its sandbox. I also adore both versions of the original game, PSX and GameCube.

MGS2 and 4 are easily the worst. But MGS4 hurts itself by trying to clean up the mess of MGS2. Raiden is a bitch and always will be.

And Death Stranding killed my love for Kojima.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

It has been and always will be Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Or the version I personally owned, Subsistence)

WHAT A GAME!

EDIT: Ranking order MGS3, MGS1, MGS4, MGS2, MGSV (Can't call the portable and PW versions, never played completely through them)

Last edited:
MGS 3 is the best game ever made. My rankings:

MGS 3
MGS 2
MGS 5
MGS 1
MGS 4

I thoroughly enjoyed each entry, but 5 gets penalized for being incomplete; 1 isn't as enjoyable due to its limitations, and 4 was a slight disappointment. I feel the latter is the only one that didn't live up to the hype both gameplay and story wise. Also, the campiness was so out of place.

DelireMan7

Hard choice between MGS and MGS3. Finally voted for MGS because it's where I discovered the serie and I have so much memories playing this game.

MGS3 and it's not even close y'all. One of the best games ever made.

While I'm here I'm just going to say that Twin Snakes is better than original MGS. Yeah the cutscenes are fucking silly. MGS is fucking silly. The bosses each get their own music and you can do the dumbassed shapeshifting card thing without backtracking through half the game. Sign me up.

MGS3 > MGS2 > MGSTS > MGS > MGS4 > MGSPW > MGSGZ > MGSPO --------------------------> MGSV

Rising is better than most of these but it doesn't have the word "Solid" in the title so fuck that game I guess.

Twin Snakes has the epic fight cutscene where Grey Fox slices a chunk out of the ceiling with his katana in mid-air and then bicycle kicks it at snake who then matrix dodges it before they land and hold each other at gun/sword point. It's literally the most "metal gear" thing that ever happened.

Rodolink

Not sure it's fair counting MGS1 and its Remake as separate entries.

MGS 1 PSX gets my vote and then MGS 3. Both games really blurred the line between game and movie, utilizing the best of both mediums IMO.

Loved the opening of MGS5 then when it seemed to go open world I "noped" out.
Exactly the same by me.

xrnzaaas

You added a Gameboy version to the poll, but no Metal Gear Acid? It was an awesome game (same with sequel) if you like turn-based titles.

Last edited:

Eimran

Snake Eater without a doubt. The gameplay, the story, the soundtrack, the Boss fights, the easter eggs, The Boss. The game is simply perfection.

I just finished 5 last week and even though I loved the game due to the insane amount of gameplay elements it lacked in story. If the story were to be just like snake eater it could have been the best Metal Gear Solid game ever.

While mgs 4 was basically a movie occasionally interupted by gameplay.

1. Snake Eater. So fucking good. So pure.
2. MGS
3. MGS2

EDIT: Never played Peacewalker but I'm sure if I had it would be #3.

MGS4 was really poor.

Last edited:
Loved to death every single one of them, but I'm really torn between tts ( way better than the original imho) and SoL

Ok, I pick sons of liberty because of the tanker Part, imho the highest gameplay point in the classic chapters
And Solid Snake at his peak is featured

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
3 is probably actually the best, but I have a real soft spot for 2.

marcincz

MGS for sure.
One of my favourite games on PS1 and all time. Besides this memorable duels with bosses. Real piece of art.

KOMANI

KOMANI
For those curious on the AC!D series:

(Acid2 is the better game. Quality of life improvements, the story doesn’t feel convoluted, and it has style.

Also should mention that Acid2 bombed, hard. This is unfortunate because we never got a third game, and Shinta Nojiri eventually left after helping the team meet their deadline for MGS4. Nojiri worked on both Acid games, was the director for Ghost Babel, and was the lead level designer for the Tanker mission in MGS2. The last game he worked on at Konami before leaving was CastleVania Harmony of Despair.

There was a mobile port of the first Acid, and I wish we had a true port to iOS devices and that both game were made available to download on PSN).

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's Rising, but I guess that I should vote for 3

The first hour of 3 is a testament of great level design

mcz117chief

For those curious on the AC!D series:

(Acid2 is the better game. Quality of life improvements, the story doesn’t feel convoluted, and it has style.

Also should mention that Acid2 bombed, hard. This is unfortunate because we never got a third game, and Shinta Nojiri eventually left after helping the team meet their deadline for MGS4. Nojiri worked on both Acid games, was the director for Ghost Babel, and was the lead level designer for the Tanker mission in MGS2. The last game he worked on at Konami before leaving was CastleVania Harmony of Despair.

There was a mobile port of the first Acid, and I wish we had a true port to iOS devices and that both game were made available to download on PSN).

I play the 2nd one on PSP and it is a stellar game. Really enjoyed it all the way through and spent many hours on the survival/gauntlet mode.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I hate Konami and never forgive them for that unfinished MGS 5; it could be the best game of all time with that mechanics. It was the first MGS game that made me feel like something was off in the story; i couldn't believe that copy paste last segments. But even if they did finished it, this would fall behind MGS 1-3-4 story wise.

MGS 3 is the complete package; great balance between gameplay and cinematics. Perfection in MGS formula. Best ending. Best in the series.

Peace Walker; don't miss this title. It is basically MGS 5 without open world. Fulton mechanic and motherbase building are surprisingly higly addictive. It has decent story elements too, which leads to Mgs 5.

MGS 1; revolutionary game. Best MGS game in my heart, but i can't recommend it above mgs 3.

MGS 2: i can only remember Raiden.
MGS 4: i can only remember Liquid Snake.

RAIDEN1

MGS 4 was the reason I ended up getting my first ever Playstation (as I skipped PS1 and 2) and to this day MGS4 remains a PS3 exclusive which I very much doubt will see the light of day on any other console....MGS 5 was the worst in the series...MGS2 I got into properly as my first playthrough of the game, with the HD collection fairly recently....Portable Ops I enjoyed watching especially the cut-scenes and the codec conversations...MGS3 I've never played neither have I played MGS Peacewalker...

Last edited:
Top Bottom