• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poll: What was the best showcase in 2023? (get your score cards out!)

Which showcase do you think was the best?

• Playstation Showcase 2023

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Summer Game Fest 2023 Opening Live

Votes: 27 9.3%
  • Xbox Games Showcase & Starfield Direct

Votes: 211 72.5%
  • Ubisoft Forward

Votes: 35 12.0%
  • Capcom showcase

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Xbox had the best, bolstered by starfield. If XBOX didn't have the starfield piece they would have lost to UBI and SGF. Ubi is right behind with their weird stuff. Also Ubi letting the developer talk was good. Doritos Pope managed a good show overall. He ended with a great FF7 trailer and that looks nice. Capcom had great long form developer commentary. Sony thought all they needed to do was show a Spiderman set piece, but did not bring really anything to the show.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think this is really interesting case of how expectation and presentation colours perception.

I mean, you'd think based on reactions here Sony's show was full of GaaS and MS's was all single-player stuff, when in actuality there was a load of GaaS in the Xbox showcase also: Sea of Thieves, Overwatch 2, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls, plus stuff like Forza and Flight sim that are going to be supplied with a steady stream of add-ons post launch.

You break the Xbox and Sony presentations down and they were actually remarkably similar! Even down to both opening with comedy tinged cinematics (Helldiver 2's Starship Troopers riff vs Fable's Richard Ayoade skit) and ending with extended looks at their big holiday prospects.

Objectively, probably Xbox surprisingly, but for my tastes and what I want out of these shows I voted for Ubisoft. Long, uninterrupted GAMEPLAY segments and deep dives that made me interested in games I might not be otherwise. New 2D Prince of Persia that looks awesome is probably my favorite announcement of the whole thing.

Star Wars Outlaws looked more fun to me than Starfield.

Last edited:

gow3isben

PlayStation Showcase was abysmal and so disappointing

Xbox showcase was so overrated. They literally just showed games that were all already announced 4 years ago lol. We all knew these were in development for a while there were no surprises and besides Starfield no rock solid gameplay. And even with that people falling for the Todd Howard Salesmanship.

Honestly everything sucked.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Capgods with Apollo Justice, Ghost Trick, Dragon's Dogma and that Okami meets Onimusha game. Not to mention the heartfelt apology. <3

supernova8

Banned
Ubisoft

Also, lol at combining the Xbox Showcase and Starfield Direct as if they didn't officially separate them with "after the Xbox Showcase".

Well (1) they did actually show it during the main Xbox bit and (2) it's an Xbox console exclusive anyway so I'd put it in with Xbox. I rated the Playstation showcase including the last bit showing Spiderman 2, so it's the same thing IMO.

supernova8

Banned
PlayStation Showcase was abysmal and so disappointing

Xbox showcase was so overrated. They literally just showed games that were all already announced 4 years ago lol. We all knew these were in development for a while there were no surprises and besides Starfield no rock solid gameplay. And even with that people falling for the Todd Howard Salesmanship.

Honestly everything sucked.
Yeah that was my very first impression overall but then I decided to rethink what I should've been expecting. Precisely because Xbox announced those games years ago, I wasn't expecting them to show anything completely new, I just wanted to see what they actually looked like and confirmation that they would be coming soon-ish.

Major downer for me was Hellblade 2, what an absolute waste of time. Feels like they've had 4 years (or more) and all they've done is walk around mountains and do a bit of motion capture. Fable and Avowed were announced later than Hellblade 2 and yet somehow it already feels like we've seen more of them than we have of Hellblade 2.

I was definitely expecting a "holiday 2023" release date for Hellblade 2. They've had plenty of time. I don't understand how Sarah Bond and Phil Spencer aren't going over there and telling them to hurry the fuck up.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Also, how are you gonna ask which showcase was the best (singular), and then combine the Xbox and Starfield showcases together? Microsoft clearly stated they were separate. I wonder who you are favoring 😂

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
To be fair the games in bold are also on Playstation then again some of them are coming to Game Pass so I'd say that's a win for Xbox.
Jesus…talk about favoring one side of your poll. 🤦‍♂️. My god man, post a poll and stfu. Let people make their own decisions without your passive aggressiveness.
The saddest part is your use of “to be fair” here, and then the italics on “some” 😂😂😂.

Last edited:

Salz01

I still can’t get over how bad Sonys was. I remember a cool ninja game and Spider-Man. Both could have had their own direct. I just don’t know what the fuck Sony is doing,

So far Xbox, easily. But we still have half a year to go and Nintendo traditionally has a strong September direct. Not sure what they’ll be talking about this time around but there’s a chance it could be their next-gen platform. Assuming they don’t pull another Wii-U, that would seal the deal.

supernova8

Banned
Also, how are you gonna ask which showcase was the best (singular), and then combine the Xbox and Starfield showcases together? Microsoft clearly stated they were separate. I wonder who you are favoring 😂
I already covered that (literally about 3 comments up, just use your scroll wheel?). My argument is that the Spiderman 2 showing at the end of the Playstation showcase is for, all intents and purposes, the exact same thing. It's not my fault that what they showed of Spiderman 2 was just boring and didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know/expect.

If you don't like that argument then tell me why, don't just be a shithead about it.

Also:
Jesus…talk about favoring one side of your poll. 🤦‍♂️. My god man, post a poll and stfu. Let people make their own decisions without your passive aggressiveness.
The saddest part is your use of “to be fair” here, and then the italics on “some” 😂😂😂.
What are you even talking about?

I swear you're reading into shit way too much. People have made their own decision (I chose Ubisoft but almost everyone else chose Xbox). People are also free to choose Playstation.
(Besides, it's my thread I can do whatever I want. Make your own thread if you're so offended)

Not sure which "side" you think I'm on but I've been shitting on Xbox for years and now I'm finally being positive about Xbox. That has to be the definition of "oh yes this person doesn't really have a side".

Last edited:

Neo_game

Ubisoft was the best. They had an actor embarassing himself on stage, musicians playing live for Skulls and bones they had game trailer of course, dev talking but the best and most importantly showed the gameplay. Mirage, Lost crow, Avatar, Outlaws. Their show was like E3 I enjoyed it the most. Rest were poor IMO.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Sony’s showcase was abysmal, it was so bad that people are mad at Ubisoft for making a 2D Prince of Persia game, just because it eas shown at Sony’s shit show

supernova8

Banned
Ubisoft was the best. They had an actor embarassing himself on stage, musicians playing live for Skulls and bones they had game trailer of course, dev talking but the best and most importantly showed the gameplay. Mirage, Lost crow, Avatar, Outlaws. Their show was like E3 I enjoyed it the most. Rest were poor IMO.
Yeah I actually decided to give them more points for putting people on stage with super thick French accents. Part of the "experience" of a Ubisoft conference is trying to work out WTF they're saying.

I mean, it's the xbox one by a country mile.
Microsoft is going to own 2023. Best showcase, HiFi Rush, Forza and Starfield released this year.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I already covered that (literally about 3 comments up, just use your scroll wheel?). My argument is that the Spiderman 2 showing at the end of the Playstation showcase is for, all intents and purposes, the exact same thing. It's not my fault that what they showed of Spiderman 2 was just boring and didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know/expect.

If you don't like that argument then tell me why, don't just be a shithead about it.

Also:

What are you even talking about?

I swear you're reading into shit way too much. People have made their own decision (I chose Ubisoft but almost everyone else chose Xbox). People are also free to choose Playstation.
(Besides, it's my thread I can do whatever I want. Make your own thread if you're so offended)

Not sure which "side" you think I'm on but I've been shitting on Xbox for years and now I'm finally being positive about Xbox. That has to be the definition of "oh yes this person doesn't really have a side".
I don’t make threads just to shit on one side or the other, but okay, keep on with your guilty conscience. “It’s my thread I can do whatever I want”. This, this right here is why people can’t take a lot of you serious on Gaf.

To add, I thought PlayStations show was ass, and Spider-Man has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. Microsoft had a solid showing as far as Xbox goes, and the Starfield show was great if you’ve been looking forward to Starfield….but I also know they were two different conferences.

Last edited:

Pejo

At least Summer Games Fest was fun to watch. Every other presentation was bad or you could hear somebody checking off every checkbox as they went along. No soul like old E3, that's for sure.

LastBattle

I really can't remember when one party won so decisively as Xbox did this year. Looks like the poll backs that up.

To some extent this is because the others ceded it to them.
  • Sony clearly held back, and treated it more like a Nintendo direct than a real hype event. I don't doubt that they have some incredible games in the pipe, as they always do, but this was a conference of B-tier clones and cookie cutter bullshit followed by a presentation for Spider-Man that, while excellent, was no more or less than exactly what was expected.
  • Summer Game Fest was better than in years past but still not even a fraction of what we would expect from the E3 of old.
  • Ubisoft brought some heat, and very much treated it like an E3 conference. Some strong showings, but a single dev conference is still not going to compete with a big tent.
  • Capcom, lol whut
But Xbox had the most to lose. They're coming off a really bad couple years. Once Halo Infinite fizzled it's been nothing but delays and vast open spaces in the schedule, with small rays of light like Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush insufficient to distract from the high profile failure of Redfall.

And they pulled it off. They showed how all these acquisitions are going to pay off, how the drought is over and this fall marks the beginning of a string of high profile releases. They showed the value of Game Pass in a big way with some of the third party partnerships. Atlus/Sega showed a ton of great stuff.

And most importantly they showed that all the delays for Starfield are going to be worth it. That they weren't trying to salvage a broken game, that they were taking time to polish a potential game of the generation to perfection. We saw how graphics and combat and systems had been overhauled and upgraded and the game looks just incredible. Starfield has completely stolen the post conference conversation.
Beautifully said. Xbox had to bring the goods and in my opinion they brought it in spades, with a couple of missteps like failing to show Hellblade 2 core gameplay. But still, I could not
be more
Excited as an Xbox fan with what they showed and don’t get me started with Starfield! I haven’t been so excited for a game in a very long time! Simply can’t wait to immerse myself in the Starfield universe 😍

I also quite liked the Ubi snd SGF showcase. Ubi in particular as they did a deep dive for all of the games they showed. Wish Xbox did the same, but oh well.

Star Wars: Outlaws in particular looks fantastic and has that Sony level of polish. Lets hope the final game lives up to what we saw this week.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Xbox takes the W this year. Not the best show case ever, but the strong showing Xbox absolutely needed. Hopefully this is the start of them actually delivering.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FyxjlyoXsAIuR_x

Fbh

1: Microsoft.
Solid showing with good pacing, good mix of updates on previously announced titles as well as new announcements. And the presentation of Starfield was awesome in presenting a big, exciting and ambitious looking title like almost nothing else we've gotten this gen. Only downside is that I still would have liked to see more gameplay for stuff like Fable and Hellblade.

2. Ubisoft:
Still not excited about any their stuff because it all looks like Ubicrap with nicer graphics. But credit where credit is due, they actually showed a ton of gameplay and had some decent deep dives into their upcoming games

3. Summer Games Fest:
Strong opening and strong end but a boring middle and very light on actual announcements. But bonus points for showing a lot of gameplay, including both of the biggest titles (FF Rebirth and MK11)

4: Sony:
Boring show primarily focusing on CGI trailers for GAAS games. Personally I'm very lukewarm on Spiderman 2 as I'm just seeing more of the same which I'm not too interested in.

5. Capcom:
Shit like every year.

I give it to the Xbox Showcase & Starfield Direct, but I had to lower my score from an 8/10 to a 7/10 due to the controversies that came out after the showcase itself, plus thinking about the downgrades to a few of the games visually (mainly Forza Motorsport and to a lesser extent, Starfield). I can't let MS off the hook for that stuff, hence my revised score.

The PlayStation Showcase was a solid 6.5/10 for me; MS showed off a better variety of 1P software (AAA and AA, traditional & live service), but Spiderman 2 was the best gameplay presentation out of both showcases, easily. I'm not saying the Starfield one was bad; in fact it revived some of the hype for me that had depleted after the 2022 showing and subsequent info dumps. But Spiderman 2 was uninterrupted gameplay that "let the game do the talking", looked really good visually (that's even considering the visuals can/will improve over the next few months), and showed off an actual gameplay loop. Starfield's was chopped up with lots of talking segments doing a bit too much telling vs. showing.

In terms of 3P reveals though I think Microsoft's was somewhat better, mainly due to Metaphor, Star Wars, and the Dontnod game. If Sony had FF VII Rebirth at their event, though, that would've tipped it in their favor on that point, IMO. But it wasn't, so it is what it is.

If MS didn't do the stupid embargos with the Atlus games (4-5 days basically), if info like Starfield having loading times for entering buildings and not being native 4K yet still having no options other than 30 FPS on console didn't happen, if the trailers for Compulsion & inXile's games weren't blatant shot-for-shot ripoffs of TLOU2 and Bioshock Infinite trailers, I probably would give their conference a 7.5/10 amid considering the downgrades to Forza and (lesser extent) Starfield. But it's kind of in typical MS fashion: put on a good show only for the skeletons to fall out of the closet afterwards when (almost) no one is looking.

To be fair the games in bold are also on Playstation then again some of them are coming to Game Pass so I'd say that's a win for Xbox.

Guess that's a fair point. I think Sony will have to do something at some point to address that somewhat-benefit of Game Pass, but without undermining the B2P sales model they rely on (and that 3P publishers rely on, especially on their platform).

Which is why I've been suggesting a per-game subscription model, that can be paid in monthly installments, tied to the PS Store. And options where those could scale depending on getting seasonal DLC content or MTX perks, or other perks tied to PS Rewards, etc. I still ultimately think the multi-game model Game Pass pushes is unsustainable and will eventually eat away at itself, but a per-game subscription model can be long-term sustainable, won't require much money bleed from platform holders to operate, won't alienate 3P publishers who rely on B2P sales revenue, and would encourage gamers to buy more games.

Plus, it would reduce the need to do price cuts and aggressive sales as frequently, since breaking up a game's cost in small monthly installments will on a level serve a similar function, without actually quite serving that function, but allowing people to access the full game Day 1 as if they paid in full.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I don’t make threads just to shit on one side or the other, but okay, keep on with your guilty conscience. “It’s my thread I can do whatever I want”. This, this right here is why people can’t take a lot of you serious on Gaf.

To add, I thought PlayStations show was ass, and Spider-Man has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. Microsoft had a solid showing as far as Xbox goes, and the Starfield show was great if you’ve been looking forward to Starfield….but I also know they were two different conferences.
Not trying to be difficult, I still don't understand what you mean here. Which side exactly am I shitting on? Can you give me something specific about what you don't like about what I've said?

Finally, I disagree that they were two separate conferences. I understand why you're saying they were separate conferences but still:

rK3N7jU.jpg

It was advertised as one package even if they say "immediately following". It doesn't matter. It's semantics. Starfield was part of the Xbox showcase.

I'll quote Phil Spencer word-for-word for what he says at the end of the Xbox Showcase:

"And now for the "one more thing" you've all been waiting for. Prepare the most comprehensive deep-dive we've ever done for the biggest game we've ever built. So sit tight, and enjoy, Starfield Direct."

There's no way two ways about this. It was part of the Xbox showcase. The Xbox showcase itself ended with basically a wet fart precisely because they didn't want to detract from the Starfield segment. They can call it a "Starfield Direct" all they like but it was a deep-dive on Starfield as part of the Xbox showcase, designed to round out the Xbox showcase.

Jim Ryan could have said right at the end of the PS event "OK folks, sit back and watch... Spider-Man 2 Direct..." and I'd say "no it was part of the Playstation showcase".

If you don't like that then........... ok cool.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Not trying to be difficult, I still don't understand what you mean here. Which side exactly am I shitting on? Can you give me something specific about what you don't like about what I've said?

Finally, I disagree that they were two separate conferences. I understand why you're saying they were separate conferences but still:

rK3N7jU.jpg

It was advertised as one package even if they say "immediately following". It doesn't matter. It's semantics. Starfield was part of the Xbox showcase.

I'll quote Phil Spencer word-for-word for what he says at the end of the Xbox Showcase:

"And now for the "one more thing" you've all been waiting for. Prepare the most comprehensive deep-dive we've ever done for the biggest game we've ever built. So sit tight, and enjoy, Starfield Direct."

There's no way two ways about this. It was part of the Xbox showcase. The Xbox showcase itself ended with basically a wet fart precisely because they didn't want to detract from the Starfield segment. They can call it a "Starfield Direct" all they like but it was a deep-dive on Starfield as part of the Xbox showcase, designed to round out the Xbox showcase.

Jim Ryan could have said right at the end of the PS event "OK folks, sit back and watch... Spider-Man 2 Direct..." and I'd say "no it was part of the Playstation showcase".

If you don't like that then........... ok cool.
To be honest, I’m not sure. This was a while ago now and I have no intention of reading all the way back through the thread to put together a response.

supernova8

Banned
I'm proud of GAF for getting this one right.
For a second I was kiiiinda hoping that Xbox would totally fuck it up so that we could see if the resident Xbox fans here would actually be negative for once. I've seen Sony fanboys do a 180 and go for Jim Ryan's throat but I don't think I've ever seen the same from Xbox fanboys.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Superstore GIF by NBC

I'll just assume/hope you misread what I wrote and that we were probably on the same side all along or something.
Wouldn’t surprise me really. I had a terrible week last week with some serious personal situations and I was probably just lashing out at everyone on here for everything. If so, I apologize and meant no offense by it. Gaf is my therapy sometimes lol

supernova8

Banned
Wouldn’t surprise me really. I had a terrible week last week with some serious personal situations and I was probably just lashing out at everyone on here for everything. If so, I apologize and meant no offense by it. Gaf is my therapy sometimes lol
No worries, if I was able to assist in your relax-inducing outburst then I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time.
The Rock Hello GIF

Sacred

Microsoft owns Bethesda and made it clear it was part of the showcase by segwaying straight into it at the end of the XSS announcement. I get you didn't want Microsoft to have a good conference, but this a really bad way to try and downplay it.

SaucyJack

Microsoft owns Bethesda and made it clear it was part of the showcase by segwaying straight into it at the end of the XSS announcement. I get you didn't want Microsoft to have a good conference, but this a really bad way to try and downplay it.

I presume you mean segueing.

Although I loved the mental image of Phil and Todd scooting between presentations :messenger_tears_of_joy:

xrnzaaas

Xbox showcase was the least disappointing one. What strikes me the most is that they all lacked huge announcements. Normally it wold be nice to focus on '23/early '24 releases, but we still got many cgi trailers with zero gameplay for distant releases (like with Fable for instance).

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I’ve already discussed this with the person who I was talking to, no need to bring back posts from a week ago.
It’s literally the post above yours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom