• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "After a Half-Hour with The Last Guardian, I'm Concerned"

Carl

Sounds like a Team ICO game and, if anything, makes me look forward to it more. Glad they kept the feel of their games rather than becoming too much like everything else

Servbot24

Banned
So to summarize this thread...
Fans of ICO and Shadows of the Colossus don't understand why would someone not like a "classic" control scheme. The rest don't understand why The Last Guardian doesn't have smooth controls like most modern games.
I understand why someone wouldn't like a classic control scheme. I don't understand why someone is surprised that The Last Guardian uses a classic control scheme. (Btw classic control scheme is not the right term here)

I don't like FPS games very much. I'm not going to publish an article titled "I'm beginning to get concerned that the next CoD may be an FPS".

Zedox

Feels like a PS2 game. A lot of people said that about ReCore and I'm (and others) are enjoying that. Totally don't listen to reviewers guys. :)

sublimit

Banned
Is this their first Team Ico game? I wonder what were their expectations in terms of controls and animations.Did they expected the kid to move like Nathan Drake?

zoukka

Heh ICO and SOTC were always criticized for their controls, never had issues with either of them.

And this is the fucking Polygon.

GeoramA

Game that started development nearly 10 years ago feels dated? Pre-order cancelled.

But yeah, this game won't be for everyone. That was obvious in 2009.

Dargor

Is there a source for this? I've been following this game's development pretty closely and over the years when Sony was asked about it they constantly said it was still in active development, which in turn is what led to the frustration that the game was a constant no-show at trade events.

I'm at work right now, so I cant open gaming sites nor youtube, but there was an interview by IGN with Fumito Ueda where he said that the game wasn't always in active development.

The name of the interview is "The Last Guardian: 10 years in the making", its on youtube, IIRC.

How come this thread is getting so many more replies when multiple impressions can be found in the preview thread? Including polygons?

I don't have a particular problem with polygon preview really, they said it's beautiful at times and the full game may be great. Is it the word concerned? Lol...

higemaru

Sounds like a Team ICO game. There's no problem with that, it's part of the appeal. If the next open world game by SWERY wasn't janky and weird as shit, I would be very disappointed.

Hugstable

Banned
It's telling that not only was this one preview singled out into its own thread, but also has five times the number of comments as the preview thread - doom and gloom gets hits.

The majority of posts in this thread are from people defending it and wanting to shit on polygon though.

How come this thread is getting so many more replies when multiple impressions can be found in the preview thread? Including polygons?

I don't have a particular problem with polygon preview really, they said it's beautiful at times and the full game may be great. Is it the word concerned? Lol...

we need a polygon concern level chart

Servbot24

Banned
At what point does a persistent issue in a developers game become part of its charm and a pro rather than a con?

This is not a legitimate question. "Issue" is a ridiculously broad term.

In the case of Team Ico's control schemes, it has always been a con, and it seemingly always will be. However it doesn't matter that much because it does not interrupt the theme of the games in a significant way.

ActWan

Can't see anything wrong about it. I really enjoy Ico and SOTC even today, and judging by the previews I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy TLG as well.

Zafir

If I'm being brutally honest. I've been worried about it ever since I saw it in... 06 was it?

It's going to be a game I wait and see on, frankly. It's been in development hell for too long, and they've yet to really show me anything that's really compelling.

There's something just so... melodramatic about a lot of Polygon's articles. It personally rubs me the wrong way.

Sounds like a Team ICO game and, if anything, makes me look forward to it more. Glad they kept the feel of their games rather than becoming too much like everything else

Yeah. I quite like the idea of a pet that behaves like one. Sure, it might be frustrating at times, but it's also a far more realistic way of bonding and it stands out in todays market.

There are enough by the numbers AAA games that are polished to a sheen as it is, it's good to have something that feels genuinely different.

Toxi

Banned
At what point does a persistent issue in a developers game become part of its charm and a pro rather than a con?
Depends.

I've seen people call Monster Hunter controls clunky because many attacks are slow and you can't just dodge out of everything, missing the entire point of how the game is supposed to be played.

But "clunky" is only okay when in the service of a game's design, and that's often determined subjectively. It's especially tricky when a game is built around its control limitations very well; for example, a lot of complaints about Metroid Prime's control scheme, like how moving your cannon up requires you to stand in place and hold a button, end up being mitigated by the level design, which rarely puts things above your field of vision and includes lots of platforms and terrain to raise or angle your field of vision.

If I'm being brutally honest. I've been worried about it ever since I saw it in... 06 was it?

It's going to be a game I wait and see on, frankly. It's been in development hell for too long, and they've yet to really show me anything that's really compelling.

Please give us your account with past Team ICO's games and what exactly do you mean by "compelling"? From the previews that got released there's a lot of compelling reasons why a Team ICO fan would be excited for this game.

Hearing it controls like the last two makes me more excited

It actually controls better believe it or not.

This game was already a hard sell for me, but now I don't think I'd want it even if it goes under $20. It's also quite odd that people are trying to defend the control scheme by pointing out how much people complained about prior crappy control schemes. Hint, other people complaining before about this type of control is not a positive.

This game was already a hard sell for me, but now I don't think I'd want it even if it goes under $20. It's also quite odd that people are trying to defend the control scheme by pointing out how much people complained about prior crappy control schemes. Hint, other people complaining before about this type of control is not a positive.

I don't know where you got that idea from. Gameinformer explicitly stated this game controlled more fluidly than the past games. Not to mention it is a control scheme that is actually one of the highlights of their past games.

nynt9

Polygon, ladies and gentlemen...

a8QDDX7.gif

Here's a similar quality polygon moment from their video to the system shock demo:

DgUqWDq.gif

rpmurphy

Depends.

I've seen people call Monster Hunter controls clunky because many attacks are slow and you can't just dodge out of everything, missing the entire point of how the game is supposed to be played.

But "clunky" is only okay when in the service of a game's design, and that's often determined subjectively.
I feel like we had this discussion this week already with the thread about Dragon Quest's church saving. lol

gafneo

Banned
I think the camera and movements look normal. ICO and Colossus are still ahead of their time, so PS2 is not a bad thing to play like. What did they want in 2016? Regen health and instant puzzle solutions?

Toxi

Banned
I feel like we had this discussion this week already with the thread about Dragon Quest's church saving. lol
Nah, that long dialogue shit's just obnoxious and is more comparable to having to often go through a bunch of long loading screens to do things like save or change your gear in Monster Hunter, or having to go through two loading screens just to warp between lanterns in Bloodborne.

jfoul

IGN has some concerns about the game as well. Mostly camera, and Trico obeying commands. I can deal with the command thing early on if Trico becomes more obedient as the story progresses. The camera issues, not so much. Hopefully it's ironed out with the delay.

This game has been in development forever. Even if it's slightly above average, I'll be happy.

Jesus, Polygon really knock out of the park with their articles sometimes. I never understood why NeoGAF hated them as much until I actually started reading their stuff.

They get paid to write this stuff? Wow.

Hugstable

Banned
Can already see how the reviews thread for this game is going to go

Yup any journalist negative against the game and doesn't feel the controls will have themselves discredited and their outlet shit on, even using gifs and videos that have nothing to do with the writer.

Toxi

Banned
Jesus, Polygon really knock out of the park with their articles sometimes. I never understood why NeoGAF hated them as much until I actually started reading their stuff.

They get paid to write this stuff? Wow.
The writer played the game and gave their impression of it, just like the impressions articles other websites did.

Not sure why this is garnering anger. It's not like we've actually played the game.

jet1911

The writer played the game and gave their impression of it, just like the impressions articles other websites did.

Not sure why this is garnering anger. It's not like we've actually played the game.

I'minstantly reminded of that famous Uncharted 3 review thread after the Eurogamer score.

Top Bottom