• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "After a Half-Hour with The Last Guardian, I'm Concerned"

angelic

Banned
poly1.jpg

For an outlet that seems to be widely disliked on GAF, Polygon sure does get a lot of attention/clicks.

Just ignore them and the world will feel like a better place.

You guys should stop hating on the Polygon guy for giving his opinion, as that is his job.

You say, "Haven't you played a Team ICO game before?!" How many people this holiday are going to buy TLG who have never played Ico or SotC before? Probably a lot.

As a developer, ideally you want to make your game's controls feel good - not just for people who already have experience with your games - but for everyone. I'm not saying the controls are broken or anything like that, but some of you are getting too defensive and should give the guy and Polygon a break.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Surely that surprises no one? It looks janky as fuck in all footage of it. At a basic gameplay level it does look like a terrible game. I mean, it's on its third platform now isn't it?

I mean, Ico and SotC weren't exactly known for their tight responsive controls.

"It feels like a PS2 game" comes off as code for "I started playing video games yesterday." And I don't even like Team ICO, but there's nothing wrong with games not adhering to contemporary "AAA" standards.

Asriel

I loved Shadow of the Colossus, but the pass that ICO games gets for their finnicky controls here is perplexing.

SummitAve

Banned
Chinese Democracy syndrome.

Even if it ends up being good, at some point it becomes impossible for the end product to ever justify the development history. I would lower expectations and hope to be surprised.

messiaen

I think the argument for it's a team ICO game and there's meaning behind the awkward controls is kind of bs... Inside has a child as a main protagonist, it makes it feel like a child but in no way does that game suffer from the controls... The controls are fluid, as is the animation. And that's an indie game from a ten person team... Not a giant studio that's had limitless man-hours poured into its game.

Fou-Lu

I loved Shadow of the Colossus, but the pass that ICO games gets for their finnicky controls here is perplexing.

Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't have been half the game it was to me if Wander didn't control and move like he did. It is so evocative.

Dargor

Polygon - "Never played a Team Ico game before"

But seriously, this sounds like the game just wasn't what the guy thought it would be and thats ok, we don't need to like everything.

eXistor

Hype diminished...by nothing at all. People complained about SotC's controls as well and I found no flaws in them, they were different from what people were used to, but not worse, I thought they were better in fact and helped cement the game as an all-time classic.

"It feels like a PS2 game" comes off as code for "I started playing video games yesterday." And I don't even like Team ICO, but there's nothing wrong with games not adhering to contemporary "AAA" standards.
Really. Many of the greatest games of all time were on PS2, so it's an insult how? I wish more games felt like PS2 games. I assume he means outdated by today's standards, but it's a dumb way of putting it.

I don't expect this to be amazing like some are hoping. It's been in 'development hell' for like what, 15 years?

That's never a good sign. But as long as it's a reasonably solid ICO-like game. I am in!

Doesn't Polygon try and shit on almost every other Sony exclusive game? You have to be lying to yourself if you cannot admit there is a huge bias here. There isn't a need to be worried on that account alone. That and the reviewer clearly has never played a Team Ico game before, but alas that doesn't make the weird controllable character any better since every Team Ico fan is used to it.
You mean they critique and give their opinions which you disagree with.

This is some fanboy garbage.

I'll never understand why people become so emotionally attached to games not even out yet. And anyone says anything bad about it is "bias" or they hate video games or are terrible at them.

Fuck off. People will feel differently than you will about things. Grow up and realise their opinions just opinions.

Same way some enjoy the "bad" controls in these games.

I think we all could've expected as much. Would it be nice for a "better" playing game? Sure, but I don't think anyone had an illusions that it would be different. Especially watching the video footage we've seen so far.

Servbot24

Banned
Surely that surprises no one? It looks janky as fuck in all footage of it. At a basic gameplay level it does look like a terrible game. I mean, it's on its third platform now isn't it?

I mean, Ico and SotC weren't exactly known for their tight responsive controls.
And they are among the most revered games of all time.

Not every game needs the responsiveness of Mario. Certainly wouldn't hurt, but the core essence of the game doesn't rely on it.

Asriel

Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't have been half the game it was to me if Wander didn't control and move like he did. It is so evocative.

Honestly, I loved the game despite the controls. They weren't good at all and very unintuitive.

But the grand scale and the magic of finding and defeating the Colossi trumped that anyhow.

I think the argument for it's a team ICO game and there's meaning behind the awkward controls is kind of bs... Inside has a child as a main protagonist, it makes it feel like a child but in no way does that game suffer from the controls... The controls are fluid, as is the animation. And that's an indie game from a ten person team... Not a giant studio that's had limitless man-hours poured into its game.

What about Inside makes the protagonist control like a kid? People, kids especially, are clumsy and many aren't well coordinated.

tebunker

Banned
You mean they critique and give their opinions which you disagree with.

This is some fanboy garbage.

I'll never understand why people become so emotionally attached to games not even out yet. And anyone says anything bad about it is "bias" or they hate video games or are terrible at them.

Fuck off. People will feel differently than you will about things. Grow up and realise their opinions just opinions.

Same way some enjoy the "bad" controls in these games.

Honestly man, I wish more people around here felt this way.

Unfortunately this stuff exists in every form of fandom. Whether it is fiction, sports or videogames and board games.

People get too emotionally invested in it and cannot see the forest for the trees.

Definitely keep calling the shitty immature behavior out, hopefully one day the people spewing the nonsense start to figure it out.

I don't like the criticism of the controls. There seems to be some sort of assumption that a game of a certain type has to have a certain type of controls, but controls like the ones mentioned bring character to the game. Think about how in Metal Gear Solid 3, Snake fires his pistol on the release of a button, not the press. Or how the slower turning circle in GTA IV made running around buildings and pedestrians feel more satisfying even though it was harder to execute.

And I don't think it's fair to say that the controls don't suit that type of game either, the game's obviously going to have been fine-tuned with them in mind. The game that people playtest will have those exact controls in them, so unless they are incredibly broken and make the game a real chore to play I don't see anything wrong.

While I haven't played any of the game, I take any criticism that polygon level at it with a huge mountain of salt.

Seriously these are the guys who couldn't shoot straight in Doom.

Seems expected based off previous work. Team ico love showing the character traits through animation. Wander in sotc being so flimsy in his actions always encouraged the view of how inferior and weak he was compared to the colossus. This game will definitely have some gameplay issues but it's whether the game will hit the same highs as its predecessors.

i honestly won't have a problem with the gameplay. i commented back when the first trailer came out that it looked like a ps2 game remastered to ps3. that's probably my only knock on it.
i'm playing ICO on my Sony BVM via RGB bc it's one of the rare ps2 games to output 240p.

simply beautiful...

since i'm a retro gamer, i won't have a problem w last guardian's graphics and have the statue edition pre-ordered but for a ps4 game i expected more graphically.

I think the same thing was said about every one of this teams games. The meat is in the feels, the journey and presentation.

Obviously, by end game, trico will start listening to you more directly, you will have adjusted to the controls by the fact your 3-4 hours into using a control system, game likely is under 10 hours, even shorter once you go through the puzzles once. What will make or break the game, Is the lasting impression, and I think Ueda has a knack for it...

You guys are too doom and gloom, I'm expecting solid mid 80s on reviews. The team is going to at the very least tell a good story.

Not really. People are just hoping its great (for what ever reason) and are willing to look past any flaws that are raised by so called "biased" parties.

What I can't figure out is how so many people don't understand what is meant by "it feels like a PS2 game", and everyone responds "This is Great I love PS2!"

If you go back and play any older games in 3D worlds, you will notice how janky the movement is and how awful the camera work was. Developers have gotten better at making player movements smooth and more natural. Let's face it games back then controlled like shit, but there were the best we had at the time.

Fou-Lu

Honestly, I loved the game despite the controls. They weren't good at all and very unintuitive.

But the grand scale and the magic of finding and defeating the Colossi trumped that anyhow.

I can understand why and I am glad you still enjoyed the game! To me SotC is one of the only games ever where the controls are part of the narrative.

silva1991

It sucks that TLG controls like their previous games and not much improved, but it's alright as long as they nail the thing there are good at.

Having finished ICO again this week I'm more than ready for those controls.

Paracelsus

SoTC had the same identical "heavy floating" feeling, like swinging the character instead of controlling it in real time. It wasn't really an issue, and in a game that is set to be way less dynamic than that, I don't see a problem.

Lylo

"Feels like a PS2 game" doesn't even make sense in my book, what's that supposed to mean?

There are PS2 games whose controls feels great and some are terrible, like any video game console i ever played.

wapplew

That stuff about Trico having it's own mind sounds awful. You can not add puzzles to a game that require the imput of an AI companion and then give that companion "it's own logic".

Buuuuut, because it's Team ICO it will be regarded as genius and unique.

I feel sorry for game tester of TLG, they have to test those puzzle with the possibility of game breaking AI...
Ueda is crazy.

Top Bottom