• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "After a Half-Hour with The Last Guardian, I'm Concerned"

Gurish

Sounds great for Team Ico fans, obviously we can't expect that today a 60$ TI game will get the same kind of reviews as it used to, but I think that anyone who liked the old games will enjoy this, including the inaccurate controls and floaty feeling.

People will palm of the janky controls and no doubt sub par performance as team ICO's signature style but they really shouldn't, the game should be held to the same standards other games are. The animations look great it would be nice to appreciate them at more than 20fps.....

I mean, isn't that how the other games handled? the slight awkwardness and sluggishness of the main characters movement to give a sense that you are controlling a regular dude who stumbles and has little sense of balance up against grand situations and creatures. An antithesis to the usual hero where he/she is an expert level acrobat/marksman or has complete control from the get go.

Yup.

Could we make this a general preview thread ? Because there are more opinions than the one of Polygon. That said, jankiness shouldn't be defended, but Trico is an animal with a A.I. and those don't listen always or in an instant.

This game having subs on some dialogue is pretty great.

Could we make this a general preview thread ? Because there are more opinions than the one of Polygon. That said, jankiness shouldn't be defended, but Trico is an animal with a A.I. and those don't listen always or in an instant.

This game having subs on some dialogue is pretty great.
There is a general thread.

Branduil

For as much as The Last Guardian nails the broad feeling it's going for in this demo, it whiffs on the details. Specifically: It feels awkward as hell when it comes to actually controlling the main character. The protagonist doesn't walk so much as he lurches in whichever direction you've pushed the analog stick. Much of the demo focuses on platforming, but his jumps have a stickiness to them, a sense of inaccuracy that could be played up as realistic weightiness in the right game but just feels frustrating here.

So it plays like Ico and SotC.

ant1532

Banned
So it feels fucking great then???
How can they write about the controls and movement for this game and not compare/contrast to previous ICO titles??? I only read OPs quoted right now but it sounds like someone's first time playing a team ICO game.

shandy706

This doesn't make any sense.

I agree, it doesn't, lol.

I don't tend to agree with some of Polygon's stuff. Just like I don't even consider Angry Joes reviews. They're often silly, inaccurate, or completely ignore what a game is or its history (if it's a series).

I have a rocket launcher, why can't I just blow all these doors open...hurr hurr.

I have no interest in TLG, but I'd step in and defend it if it controls as expected based on past games, and can be learned or executed by simply adjusting to something that isn't the norm.

bigjig

While I get Team ICO games aren't for everyone, if anything this is more of a relief than a concern for me. If it had Uncharted-style auto climbing, then I'd be concerned.

Fuchsdh

I mean, isn't that how the other games handled? the slight awkwardness and sluggishness of the main characters movement to give a sense that you are controlling a regular dude who stumbles and has little sense of balance up against grand situations and creatures. An antithesis to the usual hero where he/she is an expert level acrobat/marksman or has complete control from the get go.

Yeah, but it's fair to say that's still a bad idea from a gameplay standpoint.

I had no real issues with the characters in Remedy's games, but the controls in Alan Wake and Quantum Break do feel like you're wrestling with a delayed reaction. It's definitely intentional, but it still feels like input delay to a lot of people. They're justified in complaining about it, just as someone can feel justified in saying that the platforming feels bad.

nOoblet16

But even back then there were games that didn't control like ICO did. Team ICO games always had unique controls. That has little to do with the time they released in.
That is what I have been repeatedly saying, they wanted to push for realistic animations in a time when no one really did that. Hardware limitation meant they had to figure out a way to do it by exaggerating it....that was what they came up with back then.

Hardware today, allows them to accurately achieve what they were trying to only imitate back then. But if they want to continue imitating and have people call it "team ico controls" then that's their choice I guess...but it doesn't necessarily change the fact that it only came to be due to limitations in the first place...limitations that do not exist today.

It's kind of like if a developer used pre rendered background in 90s and 2000s to get around the limitation of hardware...but they don't necessarily have to do that today but if they do, then people will just say that's because it's the style of the game..but it doesn't really make that choice the better choice.

Yeah, but it's fair to say that's still a bad idea from a gameplay standpoint.

I had no real issues with the characters in Remedy's games, but the controls in Alan Wake and Quantum Break do feel like you're wrestling with a delayed reaction. It's definitely intentional, but it still feels like input delay to a lot of people. They're justified in complaining about it, just as someone can feel justified in saying that the platforming feels bad.

i guess that's a fair point. There are things that were acceptable then and could be excused as part of the atmosphere (and admittedly added onto it) due to technical drawbacks.

I guess we will just have to see.

EDIT:

and i also keep thinking in my mind about games like Devil May Cry and God of War and showing that some games with great movement were available at the time

That is what I have been repeatedly saying, they wanted to push for realistic animations in a time when no one really did that. Hardware limitation meant they had to figure out a way to do it by exaggerating it....that was what they came up with back then.

Hardware today, allows them to accurately achieve what they were trying to only imitate back then. But if they want to continue imitating and have people call it "team ico controls" then that's their choice I guess...but it doesn't necessarily change the fact that it only came to be due to limitations in the first place...limitations that do not exist today.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Gurish

I don't think it's an insult that it reminds them a PS2 era game, it's not like there are so many awesome TI style games today that this will feel dated next to them, SOTC is still better than most games today, I hope I can say the same on TLG.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

It's kind of like if a developer used pre rendered background in 90s and 2000s to get around the limitation of hardware...but they don't necessarily have to do that today but if they do, then people will just say that's because it's the style of the game..but it doesn't really make that choice the better choice.

I hope the REmake 2 has tank controls, pre rendered backgrounds, crazy camera angles and collecting random junk for puzzles. I love a lot of ideas and methods that are no longer used much the same I still think Team Icon control nicely.

Illucio

Banned
Doesn't Polygon try and shit on almost every other Sony exclusive game? You have to be lying to yourself if you cannot admit there is a huge bias here. There isn't a need to be worried on that account alone. That and the reviewer clearly has never played a Team Ico game before, but alas that doesn't make the weird controllable character any better since every Team Ico fan is used to it.

T-0800

People will palm of the janky controls and no doubt sub par performance as team ICO's signature style but they really shouldn't, the game should be held to the same standards other games are. The animations look great it would be nice to appreciate them at more than 20fps.....

I never did get far in BF4 because the game kept deleting my save file. How did that review? There is no single standard when it comes to review scores.

usp84

Who cares?

The other games made me furious at times with how they controlled(and i played them for the first time in the HD collection) and i still think of them as masterpieces.

AHA-Lambda

im_shocked.gif

Doesn't Polygon try and shit on almost every other Sony exclusive game? You have to be lying to yourself if you cannot admit there is a huge bias here. There isn't a need to be worried on that account alone. That and the reviewer clearly has never played a Team Ico game before, but alas that doesn't make the weird controllable character any better since every Team Ico fan is used to it.

Polygon shits on everything. They hate video games

U-R

Team ICO has a proven track record of knowing when and injection of jank and struggle makes for a stunning experience versus a superslick adventure you'll forget next week. So it's not really alarming, but expected up to a degree.

I'm still not breaking my vow to never ever preorder anything, though.

Shin-chan

No its Sony's new Team Ico game. There have been games out by this studio before. You should not have to resort to comparing to random unrelated games when SOTC is right there.
Part of the post-review thread rationalisation I'd guess.

Microsoft had a game that looked like it called back to the PS2 era in both good and bad ways ... so Sony has clearly decided to mimic them and release their own janky PS2 game!

Who cares?

The other games made me furious at times with how they controlled(and i played them for the first time in the HD collection) and i still think of them as masterpieces.

Exactly, I don't give a shit as long as it reaches the magnificence of Ico and SotC. I'd take an imperfect game of this kind over 10 CoD games any day of the week.

LeleSocho

Banned
Polygon people are far from reliable in giving valid opinions on games so sincerely i'm not that concerned on what they think about it.

Koobion

Sounds like SoTC, and that's a good thing in my opinion; I was worried TLG wouldn't have that same feel. This just takes time to get used to, and it's fine.

Falchion

I just hope this isn't one of those things where there's slow, clunky animations every time you change direction.

Top Bottom