• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] Mario Kart 8 likely to be the worst-selling game in... what is that chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugg

Usually, Mario Kart sales are not a Day 1, Month 1 or even Year 1 kind of thing. It's steady and ongoing for the whole generation, that's why the numbers become huge. I'm sure it'll sell. But yeah, maybe not right now.

Malvingt2

*staring at text editor*

"Well, that can't be right. I've written two sentences and my article is done. Mario Kart 8 will sell the worst. But... the editor will probably think I'm lazy as shit if I don't have anything else. Do I... do I have any charts? Just... let me throw some numbers in the chart maker. Is this how charts work? I think so.

Okay, I've got a whole page now. I think that's good."

lol yeah

lionpants

4FUjy5A.png

Takao

Banned
Not going to happen. Mario Kart is a system seller and will increase Wii U hardware sales by a 2 handful millions. Smash Bros will push it to 20+ million and Mario Kart software sales will increase as a result.

Is this a joke post? You expect Smash Bros to sell 10+ million Wii Us?

Aruhamel

Banned
Polygon doesn't seem to understand how a pie graph works.

I thought the article was fine though, much to my surprise (it is Polygon, after all).

Tripon

Ben Kuchera wrote the article?

Not surprised. And where's the editor telling Ben he needs to rewrite the article for better quality?

Could be true for a lot of European countries. Even compared to horrible sales in Japan and US WiiU sales in Europe are even worse.

ok fine, maybe a handful of small European countries where the Wii U is nonexistent, but it at least did better in the other major European countries like France and Germany (not that it's good or anything lol)

Not going to happen. Mario Kart is a system seller and will increase Wii U hardware sales by a 2 handful millions. Smash Bros will push it to 20+ million and Mario Kart software sales will increase as a result.

uh huh, it's not reaching 20 million

Cbajd5

Man, I don't even get paid for this, but let me try:

Attach rates for console entries, because they matter:

Super Mario Kart: 5,61:1
Mario Kart 64: 3,34:1
Mario Kart DD: 3,13:1
Mario Kart Wii: 3,01:1

(5,61+3,34+3,13+3,01)/4=3,77 is the projected attach rate. Let's say Polygon is right and there are 6.17 million Wii Us out there, MK8 should sell around 1.64 million units.

but where's the pie charts

or bar graphs, I GUESS, if you're lame

but don't you dare give me a scatter plot

He should make an article for every single game on the WiiU, every announced game and every single already released game like "XXX will be the worst selling entry in franchise XXX".

Gotta get dem clicks !

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
VG Chartzzzzz and making a calculation based just on current hardware numbers?

1/10 (1 point for the big senseless pie)

Raist

Banned
Thank you for dropping some knowledge, Polygon.

What will be interesting to see is if MK8 represents the biggest drop in sales between two consecutive titles in the same franchise. Although that might end up being Wii Fit U.

lionpants

Oh, and they deleted my comments which expressed my feelings towards their site in a constructive manner (similar to what I posted earlier in this thread) simply because they had the word click-bait in them I guess.

Nice.

Briarios

I believe Mario Kart 8 will be a system seller for the Wii U -- it won't be a system saver, but I think we will see an uptick in systems sold.

Xav

What a stupid article to write during the time positive reviews are going out for the game. It's like these writers can't let Nintendo have a positive moment for once.

Cheap unnecessary low blow from Polygon.

Kensuke

The statistics in that article are useless. The projected attach rate is based on really tenuous logic. Applying a similar idiotic train of thought I can also project some numbers based on history. The franchise has sold at least as little as 5.4 million units. So the Wii U version is guaranteed to at least match that number, because that is as small as the Mario Kart audience gets.

Doing research is also not the same as consulting vg chartzzz. Really poor article from Polygon.

Why hasn't this site been blacklisted yet? On one hand they deserve it for their shoddy journalism, on the other, what would we talk about with their absence.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wow such analysis

This article has altered the way I think about this world

emb

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

LOL, that's pretty amusing. Comes off as really inane. I'm guessing they're trying to establish an average attach rate for the series or something, but this seems like such a poor way to show it.

JordanN

Banned
As baiting as the article is, it still puts into perspective how far Nintendo has dropped.

One of the worst selling console and now 2 Marios that heavily under perform. I remember all this talk about "how Mario could be devalued on iOS" but Nintendo is doing a good job devaluing him right now.

Ty4on

So no one will buy a WiiU to play MK8? The N64 had shipped 6.1M at the end of FY1997 and MK64 was released that FY in Japan and NA. It outsold its install base by a factor of almost 2...

I believe well and truly that the Wii U has been dead for a while, but MK8 do more than 2M at the end of FY2015.

Shipment source. Note how low Europe is because it launched in 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom