• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon posts ad/re-worded press release as 'News' & deletes user comments [Removed]

Can we give Polygon and Chris Grant some credit now?

They screwed up and tried to defend it at first but in the end, they listened to the criticism and took action.

I hope that they address the comments issue for the futurethough...we aren't in Soviet Russia, we should be able to criticize without fear of censorship if the critique is warranted.

If I had any faith in the idea that incidents such as these would cause any change whatsoever to Polygon's editorial approach going forward, I'd laud Chris Grant to the ends of the earth. But I have none of that faith and every bit of editorial behavior displayed today has done nothing to help build it. Polygon will continue to operate as it has displayed itslef operating: in the same way as 99% of all other enthusiast media sites.

They are nothing special or interesting as they claim.

And that really is too bad, because that's entirely counter to what the industry actually needs right now.

But you know what? Fuck it! PIZZA HUT AND HALO SKINS FOR EVERYONE!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

they didn't listen to the value of the criticism, they were overwhelmed by its mass.

Essentially this.

koryuken

OMG Polygon... too funny. They must have sat around and thought....how can we make ourselves even a bigger joke than Kotaku! "I got it" exclaimed Crecente!!

Empty

Good on them for rectifying their mistake.

They should probably look into how that Emily employee (who published the advertisement, yet denies the relevance of reporting the Florence controversy) is Facebook friends with Lauren Wainwright, though.

i doubt there's much to that. it's incredibly common to add people on facebook that you met a bit at a party or here more likely a games event you're both attending and the uk games industry seems quite small.

GG-Duo

Readers being the watch-dogs for quality standards is not a good precedent to set for a new games media website, especially one supposedly shooting for best-of-industry material.

Agreed, Polygon hasn't proven to be best-of-industry in my eyes. It's just another Kotaku.

They should probably look into how that Emily employee (who published the advertisement, yet denies the relevance of reporting the Florence controversy) is Facebook friends with Lauren Wainwright, though.

That's kinda creepy, dude. Anybody can be anybody's "friend" on Facebook. Emily should probably get a talking-to from the editors, but it's kind of outside GAF's concerns.

Izayoi

Banned
Absolutely pathetic. I really have to ask myself who thinks these things through. How could you release that ridiculously self-important video and then shortly after the site launches immediately start regurgitating the same old shit? Baffling.

Ponn

Banned
I really applaud Polygon for masterfully trolling and manipulating the internet to slingshot themselves into instant popularity and the talk of the town even before they launched.

Bravo Polygon, BRAV-FUCKING-O

Celegus

Normally I wouldn't care, but after all that self-righteousness about being different and relavent... that just kills their credibility. I still love the Brothers McElroy, but this was a pretty stupid move on the company's part.

Dennis

Banned
I am a little hesitant to give credit to Polygon for pulling the piece because.....it conveniently silences the critics from commenting.

Where are the critical comments going to go?

To an unrelated piece? Polygon can then easily go "off-topic, deleted, send us an email instead" which means the comments will not be seen by others.

This is a rather clever way to do damage control. Cynically, this may be their best option at stemming the tide of criticism.

Lunar15

You guys realize that you have to bring this up every time they talk about a press release now, right? Sure, it's easy to attack a lazy Pizza Hut promotion article, but what about when it's about the newest release you're trying to find info about? I'm all for tighter, better journalism, and I agree that we need these kinds of discussions, but to attack a site for writing about a press release is a taaaaad ridiculous. Just keep it rational and stick to the bigger picture. Keep your own biases in mind. I think some people here are just attacking polygon because they don't like polygon and never will. If you want journalists to do good reporting, do good reporting when calling them out.

gaming_noob

Hyper entitled, one might say.

jbfaLnmS8CFYw0.png

That's definitely Gabe Newell's face :lol

I am a little hesitant to give credit to Polygon for pulling the piece because.....it conveniently silences the critics from commenting.

To an unrelated piece? Polygon can then easily go "off-topic, deleted, send us an email instead" which means the comments will not be seen by others.

This is a rather clever way to do damage control.

They've not pulled it from the site, just the front page.
http://www.polygon.com/xbox-360

This is a rather clever way to do damage control.

They tried to take to the moral high-ground at the last minute and they were quick enough that some folks will forgive them.

The folks whose critical faculties are actually operating will see this as yet another bit of weasel behavior.

Good on them for rectifying their mistake.

People are free to be friends with whomever they want, it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat them with(her links to notoriously dodgy site Videogamer.com where she "travelled across the world to major trade events to interview top developers while maintaining tight-knit relationships with PR throughout Europe and North America" would probably be interesting).

The funniest thing to me is, if you believe Polygon guy on here:

- Polygon gets a piece of PR and says, "yes, our readers would love this! publish it!"
- Readers instead say "actually we'd love an article on this hot-button issue as opposed to hearing about halo and pizza"
- Polygon shuts down comments for basically being critical of Polygon
- Polygon guy comes on here and says "there is no controversy, we published it because we felt our readers would be interested in it. We're always looking to do stories on things our readers are interested in."
- Readers: "Hey yeah, that whole games journalism issue? We still want an article about that."
- Polygon: "lol no"

What's funny is that Kotaku/Totilo were basically doing the exact same thing, but seemed to have realized at some point that hey, maybe people ARE interested in this topic even if the journalists aren't. So - shock and awe - they might have to investigate something THEY ARE NOT PERSONALLY INTERESTED IN because their readers ARE.

But hey, Polygon is a NEW site. They're gonna change it up. Change the game. Instead of doing articles on what the readers want, instead we're gonna do it on what we think they should want, rather than what they actually want! And we'll tell them when there's a controversy or not! WE REPORT, WE DECIDE!

GameIndustry.biz Gamasutra and GiantBomb are all great, and I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of 'em at the mo'...

Giant Bomb?!? You like their site, that's fine, but I hope you aren't suggesting that they don't shill just as much as any of the other video game enthusiast press sites.

BosSin

I recently sat through a talk about the inner workings of journalism and found out that most newspapers receive a decent portion of their articles by rewording press releases.

A good website to check for this is called 'churnalism'

So this is to be expected for me

Atrophis

You guys realize that you have to bring this up every time they talk about a press release now, right? Sure, it's easy to attack a lazy Pizza Hut promotion article, but what about when it's about the newest release you're trying to find info about? I'm all for tighter, better journalism, and I agree that we need these kinds of discussions, but to attack a site for writing about a press release is a taaaaad ridiculous. Just keep it rational and stick to the bigger picture. Keep your own biases in mind. I think some people here are just attacking polygon because they don't like polygon and never will. If you want journalists to do good reporting, do good reporting when calling them out.

They didnt write about a press release, they published a press release as their own words.

Dennis

Banned

I have no problem in principal with a separate section titled "Press Releases".

If you are going to run with information this is basically PR, write your own version and clearly state that this is based on a press release and no original journalistic reporting was done.

cakefoo

Game trailers are fine but contests are not? It's all promotion, I see no reason to draw a line between the two. They both entertain or benefit the gamer.

Lime

i doubt there's much to that. it's incredibly common to add people on facebook that you met a bit at a party or here more likely a games event you're both attending and the uk games industry seems quite small.

Just pointing out that there might be a conflict of interest for their senior editor.

People are free to be friends with whomever they want, it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat them with(her links to notoriously dodgy site Videogamer.com where she "travelled across the world to major trade events to interview top developers while maintaining tight-knit relationships with PR throughout Europe and North America" would probably be interesting).

Of course they can be friends with whoever they want. I'm just pointing out that she probably shouldn't speak out on matters where she might have a conflict of interest.

- Polygon gets a piece of PR and says, "yes, our readers would love this! publish it!"
- Readers instead say "actually we'd love an article on this hot-button issue as opposed to hearing about halo and pizza"
- Polygon shuts down comments for basically being critical of Polygon
- Polygon guy comes on here and says "there is no controversy, we published it because we felt our readers would be interested in it. We're always looking to do stories on things our readers are interested in."
- Readers: "Hey yeah, that whole games journalism issue? We wanna talk about that. How about it?"
- Polygon: "lol no"

What's funny is that Kotaku/Totilo were basically doing the exact same thing, but seemed to have realized at some point that hey, maybe people ARE interested in this topic even if the journalists aren't. So - shock and awe - they might have to investigate something THEY ARE NOT PERSONALLY INTERESTED IN because their readers ARE.

But hey, Polygon is a NEW site. They're gonna change it up. Change the game. Instead of doing articles on what the readers want, instead we're gonna do it on what we think they should want, rather than what they actually want! And we'll tell them when there's a controversy or not! WE REPORT, WE DECIDE!

Jackpot

Banned
I'm confused, if this is "an article vetted by the team as something of interest to readers", and not an advertorial why is it worded identically the press release they sent to multiple sites? Don't you have to acutally write something for it to be an article?

And please don't say you weren't paid to do it. That's irrelevant. Advertising can be free and the fact that it didn't occur to you to put a stop on this highlights how overly close you are with PR.

And why delete comments instead of just locking the comment section. You don't seem to delete comments for other rule breaches. Funny how you decided to hide comments that pointed out your lack of integrity.

Omikaru

It's not like it's in the games press' best interests to promote this shit for free anyway. If I had my way, this kind of thing would be:

1) Sponsored posts, clearly marked as such.
2) An actual advert banner on the site.

Games PR has got so good at deciding what's news and what's advertising, it's actually costing the games press potential revenue, since they're posting a lot of it for free. If someone had sent me this press release, I'd have politely given them the contact information for ad sales and left it at that. I don't see what value this adds for any readers which couldn't have be gleaned by MS/Pizza Hut paying to have it on a banner ad.

Giant Bomb?!? You like their site, that's fine, but I hope you aren't suggesting that they don't shill just as much as any of the other video game enthusiast press sites.
Yeah but they admit it and are completely transparent about it.

They've straight up said we are not journalists we are enthusiast press. Well maybe Patrick didn't but still.

Atrophis

It's not like it's in the games press' best interests to promote this shit for free anyway. If I had my way, this kind of thing would be:

Games PR has got so good at deciding what's news and what's advertising, it's actually costing the games press potential revenue, since they're posting it all for free. If someone had sent me this press release, I'd have politely given them the contact information for ad sales.

Exactly. Its not just bad journalism, its bad business.

Trevelyon

Their British Pizza Hut eatin', Halo lovin', rootin tootin' costume wearing demo is extraordinarily high.

This piece is actually very much line with their unique readership.... that..... they've had for like a week or something.

Games PR has got so good at deciding what's news and what's advertising, it's actually costing the games press potential revenue, since they're posting it all for free. If someone had sent me this press release, I'd have politely given them the contact information for ad sales.

This is true, they are being treated like chumps if they post things like this for free( although it probably falls under the old "you scratch my back..." scenario).

Gomu Gomu

These posts need to be quoted again:

the stuff about microsoft paying off is just snark, what this is about is the influence of pr. without thinking about an angle or how worthy it is or how not to make it an advert but instead editorial, they just pasted this press release because microsoft sent it over. it's this uncritical interaction with pr that leads to all the problems the games journalism scandal thread has been talking about. why polygon are being targeted for a standard thing? timing so soon after the eurogamer stuff broke as people want to make it clear that this is unacceptable and because of their own documentary and ethics statement bigging themselves up as a new dawn for games journalism.

Rab Florence's article was exactly about what is happening here, which is that games writers are perceived as being at the beck-and-call of marketing and need to be careful to divorce themselves from the notion.

Florence wasn't specifically accusing the people he named of anything (though it was later found out that Wainwright's ethical breaches do in fact run deep). He was saying that their actions create the perception that something problematic is going on in the games media-PR relationship, and that the mere perception is ultimately viewed as reality.

When you regurgitate a press release for schlock and simply stick it on your front page as content, you are contributing to that perception because you are seeming to endorse what it is you're informing readers about. In that sense it is actually not different from an advertisement; that you are not being paid for it doesn't change its practical application nor the perception it creates.

Dennis

Banned
Why does every other gaming news site get to post this but Polygon?

This has been addressed already. Because Polygon claimed to be better and more serious than other sites.

you seem to be attempting to deconstruct what this piece encapsulates.

polygon's relationship with microsoft is already under the lens for 750,000 reasons. they are a start-up with an MO built around a bringing code of ethics to popular games journalism, and many would argue that this has already been compromised by the initial MS deal.

since then, the debate regarding conflict of interest and cognitive dissonance within the incestuous game journalism/PR relationship has fired up in to an inferno. the debate has shifted from the crude beginnings of "bought" allegations, and now highlights that even if a journalist is somehow completely incorruptible, the mere appearance of this kind of journalist:subject collusion is damaging enough on its own.

can you think of anything more boneheaded for a start-up in this situation to do in this climate than regurgitate a near word-for-word press release for a trivial microsoft promo deal with a fast food chain, presenting it as news, then actively censor their audience's criticisms?

Top Bottom