• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon posts ad/re-worded press release as 'News' & deletes user comments [Removed]

cakefoo

I'm confused, if this is "an article vetted by the team as something of interest to readers", and not an advertorial why is it worded identically the press release they sent to multiple sites? Don't you have to acutally write something for it to be an article?

And please don't say you weren't paid to do it. That's irrelevant. Advertising can be free and the fact that it didn't occur to you to put a stop on this highlights how overly close you are with PR.

And why delete comments instead of just locking the comment section. You don't seem to delete comments for other rule breaches. Funny how you decided to hide comments that pointed out your lack of integrity.
Reading comments is how sheep herd together and recruit new sheep. But leave each sheep to judge independently and there won't be as negative a reaction.

Satchel

Banned
I don't think anyone here cares about the promotion. I think they care about this story in the broader context GAF has been having over the past week. Polygon has claimed they are a new kind of media, one that has high standards. Deleting comments and hiding any criticism behind internal feedback is kinda gross.

So it seems the issue is expectation management.

I wish people that were 'above it all' would stay that way.

Or you could get over yourself.

You could try reading around the topic and then you may actually display some semblance of knowing what you're talking about. Go to the OP, read the thread this one was linked from, then maybe you'll understand. Our maybe you won't and you'll keep up with the passive aggressive tone. We'll see.

I get it. You guys expected more from a gaming website, and gaming journalists in general.

There's your problem. Given sports journalism is barely a rung above, I'm not sure why you guys expect so much.

It's about eyes on pages. Halo 4 is the biggest game releasing this year. It's natural that sites will find any excuse to put Halo 4 in a title.

Removing comments? What did you expect them to do? As I said, expectations the real issue here.

Dennis

Banned
pizzahutsqp4u.png

I will have what he is having.

Branduil

So it seems the issue is expectation management.

Or you could get over yourself.

I get it. You guys expected more from a gaming website, and gaming journalists in general.

There's your problem. Given sports journalism is barely a rung above, I'm not sure why you guys expect so much.

It's about eyes on pages. Halo 4 is the biggest game releasing this year. It's natural that sites will find any excuse to put Halo 4 in a title.

Removing comments? What did you expect them to do? As I said, expectations the real issue here.

You're so close dude. I know you want to use that word.

Jackpot

Banned
Re-reading Arthur Gies's comments in the other thread is more amusing in light of this. "I've never seen any shady PR stuff going on"

Gomu Gomu

These posts need to be quoted again For the new page:

the stuff about microsoft paying off is just snark, what this is about is the influence of pr. without thinking about an angle or how worthy it is or how not to make it an advert but instead editorial, they just pasted this press release because microsoft sent it over. it's this uncritical interaction with pr that leads to all the problems the games journalism scandal thread has been talking about. why polygon are being targeted for a standard thing? timing so soon after the eurogamer stuff broke as people want to make it clear that this is unacceptable and because of their own documentary and ethics statement bigging themselves up as a new dawn for games journalism.

Rab Florence's article was exactly about what is happening here, which is that games writers are perceived as being at the beck-and-call of marketing and need to be careful to divorce themselves from the notion.

Florence wasn't specifically accusing the people he named of anything (though it was later found out that Wainwright's ethical breaches do in fact run deep). He was saying that their actions create the perception that something problematic is going on in the games media-PR relationship, and that the mere perception is ultimately viewed as reality.

When you regurgitate a press release for schlock and simply stick it on your front page as content, you are contributing to that perception because you are seeming to endorse what it is you're informing readers about. In that sense it is actually not different from an advertisement; that you are not being paid for it doesn't change its practical application nor the perception it creates.

inky

Why does every other gaming news site get to post this but Polygon?

Also, because they refused to report on the Florence stuff labeling it as unimportant, while Pizza Hut's Halo Ad takes the top spot in their news section, without so much as a small consideration of "what the fuck are we doing" regurgitating this just because Microsoft sent it over. Yet they claim to be a new string of gaming journalism that does things differently from other sites.

How are they unethical? Because they know PR people?

Because they engage in more conflicts of interest than probably most of the sites we've all been railing against. Just because you make a cute video, doesn't make you immune to PR influence. I get that GB is the darling of NeoGAF, so it really shouldn't surprise me to get responses like this. If we're going to call out the enthusiast press (or whatever other manufactured term they come up with), lets at least be consistent.

Ok, how quick their tone changes.

Within an hour we basically go from ------

"If you dont like it, read another one!"

to

"We agree this doesn't stand up to our high standards so we are taking it off the main page right now!"

Talk about a wavering wishy washy stance. That's all kinds of awesome. They wanted to stand up and defend the "story" for one minute, then they agree with everyone and remove it from their home page.

I find that as telling as anything that has transpired on Polygon today. Wow!!!

someone got a phone call today

Jackpot

Banned
I'm curious, doesn't Polygon have any plagiarism rules? Any way you slice it this isn't Emily Gera's content. It wasn't written by her. No indiciation that she's quoting someone else.

see5harp

Does it really matter how the content is being served to the readership though? At the end of the day, Pizza Hut and MS wanted to let people know that there was some free code and they certainly got their message across. Where are the readers that honestly don't understand that this content was organized by marketers within MS and Pizza Hut? I understand the relationship between PR and websites and I understand the relationship between a hobby and a income generating website with paid staff.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

And that's the problem, how are you not getting this? The "age of page click/ads" needs to be over for the sake of higher level discourse and writing that isn't blatant ads for the sake of the game journalism industry.

But no, "let's get over ourselves" for your sake because OMG HALO 4!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If there wasn't the avatar then it's straight an advertisement.

Since there was, it's just a press release.

Perfectly freaking harmless.

If GAF has shown anything lately, it's the straight out contempt for those who cover our hobby.

I'm curious, doesn't Polygon have any plagiarism rules? Any way you slice it this isn't Emily Gera's content. It wasn't written by her. No indiciation that she's quoting someone else.

If she were an actual journalist, she'd make sure to include quotes and attributions. Oh well.

Haunted

You guys realize that you have to bring this up every time they talk about a press release now, right? Sure, it's easy to attack a lazy Pizza Hut promotion article, but what about when it's about the newest release you're trying to find info about? I'm all for tighter, better journalism, and I agree that we need these kinds of discussions, but to attack a site for writing about a press release is a taaaaad ridiculous. Just keep it rational and stick to the bigger picture. Keep your own biases in mind. I think some people here are just attacking polygon because they don't like polygon and never will. If you want journalists to do good reporting, do good reporting when calling them out.
The idea is not that the readers will have to point this out every single fucking time, the idea is for Polygon themselves to recognise that this kind of regurgitated press release dressed up as news (as an aside: is it even dressed up if no one can even be bothered to change the original wording?) does not live up to their own standards and stop doing this on their own. Or at the very least clearly mark it as a press release within its own category instead of pretending it's a piece of content from Polygon to be posted as news.

It would be nice to see some kind of learning effect here, some self-betterment coming out of this whole issue. Respect and trust have to be earned.

Because they engage in more conflicts of interest than probably most of the sites we've all been railing against. Just because you make a cute video, doesn't make you immune to PR influence. I get that GB is the darling of NeoGAF, so it really shouldn't surprise me to get responses like this. If we're going to call out the enthusiast press (or whatever other manufactured term they come up with), lets at least be consistent.

I don't expect anything remotely like objectivity or detachment from GiantBomb.

If their How to Build A Bomb videos and editorial approach and funding sources were like or identical to those of Ploygon's I'd have very different expectations of them. Plus there is the whole history of all of the writers involved to take into account as well.

They operate very differently with very different goals and attitudes. Do you really not get that?

Minion101

Banned
Oh my god, GAF sold out to Pizza Hut!

The corruption is endless.

No the same happened when I was getting quotes on car insurance online. The ads "knew" and started showing ads for progressive after I visited progressive.com. I guess that polygon artical was a good as visiting pizzahut.com.

Haunted

edit: it's not a nice thing to say, but a lot of these problems come from the inexperience of the people writing. Not inexperience in covering games, but a lack of proper journalistic education and training. Journalism is a profession that, like any other, has to be learned. One doesn't simply fall into being a journalist because you like typing away on your keyboard. When the most basic standards of sourcing, correct attribution and ethical ground rules aren't adhered to, no shit you're going to get into some trouble with readers who expect more than high school newspaper levels of reporting.

I don't expect anything remotely like objectivity or detachment from GiantBomb.

If Jeff and Ryan's How to Build A Bomb videos and editorial approach and funding sources were like or identical to those of Ploygon's I'd have very different expectations of them.

They operate very differently with very different goals and attitudes. Do you really not get that?

It seems you can't separate your love for a website from their behavior. They are acting consistently with the practices that we've been criticizing in these threads. It doesn't matter what their attitude or goals are, you're just providing more rationalizations and excuses. Either you think this poor behavior is OK, or it isn't. The GB crew isn't exempt just because you prefer them over other gaming personalities.

So game journalists shouldn't like games. Awesome. That is so ridiculous.

Do I want AC3 reviewed by the guy who only plays madden?
NO i want the guy who has played them all!

I get excited about videogames. I want to read opinions by people who are also excited about videogames. That doesn't mean you wont get their honest opinions...

Except I didn't say that.

I want game journalists to approach all games with a moderate mentality. They should want to like a game, but also be very willing to criticize where appropriate. For the public, being very excited for a game is a good thing - but in the critical arena of journalism, especially reviews, it has little place. Their job is to inform, not regurgitate what we are feeling. Excitement from a journo is acceptable in a big reveal, a featurette, or a preview (although I still expect honest reporting at all times). But things must definitely get serious for a review, which the McElroy spinning video was preceding.

It's a hard thing to avoid, i'll admit, especially for a game like Skyrim. I'll say that multi-perspective reviews are probably the best bet for presenting a balanced opinion by weeding out personal bias. That shouldn't be a problem for Polygon since they love priding themselves on their collective of writers and their site already supports multiple scores for multiplatform games.

That smacks of hyperbole, everyone who regularly visits GB knows exactly which companies employees(either PR or actual developers) are friends of the Staff there(how do we know? Because they put them in front of the camera ) & therefore an informed decision can be made on whether you wish to trust them when they cover games by those companies.

Jeff is also one of the few journalists who has confirmed that certain parts of the industry are influenced by PR(unlike the vast majority of journalists who are maintaining that isn't true),& that it is an issue that he regularly thinks about.

Now I'm not saying that they are some sort of role model for the industry but they are pretty transparent(they mention if they are on a trip in their previews & they have mocked PR campaigns in the past).

Haha, "riling up negativity".

Oh well, they did remove the article from the front page and are not trying to cover up having written that stupid reply in the comments which they have locked down.

So kudos for that, I guess?

Atrophis

If there wasn't the avatar then it's straight an advertisement.

Since there was, it's just a press release.

Perfectly freaking harmless.

If GAF has shown anything lately, it's the straight out contempt for those who cover our hobby.

Get complaining to Polygon then as they believe it doesn't meet their high standards.

Lunar15

They didnt write about a press release, they published a press release as their own words.

To be clear: I've got no problem with people attacking polygon over the quality of the article. (it WAS lazy for a site talking about "changing the industry") But people attacking them for posting anything that comes from a press release (saying they've been paid, lacking integrity, in PR pockets) is just kind irrational and unhelpful to the greater discussion of quality reporting.

JebusF

Neo Member
The "age of page click/ads" needs to be over for the sake of higher level discourse and writing that isn't blatant ads for the sake of the game journalism industry.

That's fine, and if you can come up with another way (or multiple ways) for a website to make money to pay staff, I'd be all ears!

edit: it's not a nice thing to say, but a lot of these problems come from the inexperience of the people writing. Not inexperience in covering games, but a lack of proper journalistic education and training. Journalism is a profession that, like any other, has to be learned. One doesn't simply fall into being a journalist because one likes typing away on your keyboard. When the most basic standards of sourcing, correct attribution and ethical ground rules aren't adhered to, no shit you're going to get into some trouble with readers who expect more than high school newspaper levels of reporting.

This. I agree especially as someone who took journalism courses in college.

And this has also been mentioned in this editorial.

That smacks of hyperbole, everyone who regularly visits GB knows exactly which companies employees(either PR or actual developers) are friends of the Staff there(how do we know? Because they put them in front of the camera ) & therefore an informed decision can be made on whether you wish to trust them when they cover games by those companies.

Jeff is also one of the few journalists who has confirmed that certain parts of the industry are influenced by PR(unlike the vast majority of journalists who are maintaining that isn't true),& that it is an issue that he regularly thinks about.

Now I'm not saying that they are some sort of role model for the industry but they are pretty transparent(they mention if they are on a trip in their previews & they have mocked PR campaigns in the past).

It's great that Jeff thinks about it, but that's a pretty passive decision. Stepping up and doing something about it is another matter. Telling everyone how gross this PR stuff is, then engaging in it like an all-you-can-eat buffet doesn't negate the fact that you're part of the problem. I think you're letting your love of Giant Bomb color your opinions on this matter.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
To be clear: I've got no problem with people attacking polygon over the quality of the article. (it WAS lazy for a site talking about "changing the industry") But people attacking them for posting anything that comes from a press release (saying they've been paid, lacking integrity, in PR pockets) is just kind irrational and unhelpful to the greater discussion of quality reporting.

The "one strike you're out" mentality of internet idiots is kind of entertaining though.

It seems you can't separate your love for a website from their behavior. They are acting consistently with the practices that we've been criticizing in these threads. It doesn't matter what their attitude or goals are, you're just providing more rationalizations and excuses. Either you think this poor behavior is OK, or it isn't. The GB crew isn't exempt just because you prefer them over other gaming personalities.

Holding everyone to broad brush standards rather than taking things on a case by case basis and carefully evaluating the merits of individual situations is a hallmark of poor critical thinking.

Sciz

It's not like it's in the games press' best interests to promote this shit for free anyway. If I had my way, this kind of thing would be:

1) Sponsored posts, clearly marked as such.
2) An actual advert banner on the site.

Games PR has got so good at deciding what's news and what's advertising, it's actually costing the games press potential revenue, since they're posting a lot of it for free. If someone had sent me this press release, I'd have politely given them the contact information for ad sales and left it at that. I don't see what value this adds for any readers which couldn't have be gleaned by MS/Pizza Hut paying to have it on a banner ad.

Ignoring the insanity of the comment censorship, this is the best point in here. It's one thing to give readers a heads up about the release date of a major game, though that's the sort of information that'll disseminate on its own these days without the help of the press.

But this is a mere promotion, which is straight up advertising by any definition of the word. Every gaming website on the internet already has a space for that sort of content, and it isn't the news column. Polygon and co., try to have at least the slightest bit of discernment about when you're being used.

Holding everyone to broad brush standards rather than taking things on a case by case basis and carefully evaluating the merits of individual situations is a hallmark of poor critical thinking.

Except for the fact that they engage in the same behaviors and blatantly ignore the ethics and conflict of interest precedents set by their parent company. I get it, they're your Internet buddies and can't be criticized.

Can we give Polygon and Chris Grant some credit now?

They screwed up and tried to defend it at first but in the end, they listened to the criticism and took action.

I hope that they address the comments issue for the futurethough...we aren't in Soviet Russia, we should be able to criticize without fear of censorship if the critique is warranted.

I give them some credit. They have backpedaled which is good but their initial way of handling the entire situation was really poor. Like...really.

They could have positioned it a little less imperiously but hey...it's a big step for them.

Lunar15

The "one strike you're out" mentality of internet idiots is kind of entertaining though.

Well, people are upset after the whole Wainwright situation, and I believe there's good reason for that. I've personally loved the entire discussion, and I think that there's a chance it got through to at least one person in the industry. But just taking it out on this kind of stuff is only going to hurt the legitimacy of the conversation. Yeah, Polygon has egg on their face for sub-par reporting (and subsequent removal of their comments), but there's nothing corrupt here. Just laziness. Polygon brought the quality criticism on themselves by proclaiming to the world, in a full documentary, that they would be "raising the bar" for the entire games journalism industry.

My problem is that you set impossible standards for the industry when you say they can't take anything from a press release. That's how every major news outlet in the world gets most of their info.

Accept for the fact that they engage in the same behaviors and blatantly ignore the ethics and conflict of interest precedents set by their parent company. I get it, they're your Internet buddies and can't be criticized.

Criticize them all you like, man. I never asked you not too.

As for myself, I'll hold folks to the standards they set up for themselves, which, in both the cases of GiantBomb and Polygon I have always done and will for the foreseeable future continue to do.

If you want to try to hold GiantBomb to the standards set up by Polygon for Polygon rather than those set up by GiantBomb for GiantBomb, that's entirely your business.

Dennis

Banned
I give them some credit. They have backpedaled which is good but their initial way of handling the entire situation was really poor. Like...really.

They could have positioned it a little less imperiously but hey...it's a big step for them.

Not a lot!

I am a little hesitant to give credit to Polygon for pulling the piece because.....it conveniently silences the critics from commenting.

Where are the critical comments going to go?

To an unrelated piece? Polygon can then easily go "off-topic, deleted, send us an email instead" which means the comments will not be seen by others.

This is a rather clever way to do damage control. Cynically, this may be their best option at stemming the tide of criticism.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's not like we expected any different from the self-proclaimed paragons of gaming journalism. The ones that have previously received a considerable sum of money by Microsoft. And especially after the events that happened last week.

Top Bottom