• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon posts ad/re-worded press release as 'News' & deletes user comments [Removed]

eznark

Banned
Chris Grant said:
Please read our Community Guidelines here – we reserve every right to delete comments that aren't helpful or on-topic. If you want to criticize us, you're welcome to send us an email to feedback@polygon.com. If you want to make a new account – which all the detractors here have done – and come here to rile up negativity, we're going to stop you.
We're closing this thread for now and will reconsider opening it later.

New Games Journalism: We don't want to hear a fucking word out of your Goddamned mouth, kid! EAT THE DORITOS

You said this to me in the comments you have since deleted, and I still don't get it. Is it not prostitution if you do it for free?

Every article about every video game would be an advertorial for that game then, right? So, you're saying that they shouldn't post any articles about any items that may be bought or sold on the free market, as that would constitute "advertising" for that product.

And yeah, if you are wearing any clothes with a logo, or have any consumer electronic items that you may take out in public that display what that item is, then you are a "prostitute that does it for free"? I disagree with that sentiment entirely.

Like Grant says, if you don't want to read articles about video games then why look at the site?

Nert

The mob mentality in this thread is quite stunning. This is a complete non-issue. But someone makes a thread with SCREENSHOTS and all of the sudden its a full on controversy.

Oh, okay. Cat Party says that this isn't a valid issue. Stop the mob mentality, everyone.

Yami

How fucking hard is that, anyway? Hell, Joystiq's trademark for me was writing every news bit like it had to go in a stand-up routine, PR regurgitation never makes any fucking sense.

It's like screaming "WE DON'T WANT TO ENGAGE WITH OUR AUDIENCE".

Fuck me, this. Said this twice already.

Personality is key.

NeoRausch

Advertorial

D_D a new word everyday for me!

YB5nw.png

ULALA REPORTING! OVER AND OUT!

Branduil

Every article about every video game would be an advertorial for that game then, right? So, you're saying that they shouldn't post any articles about any items that may be bought or sold on the free market, as that would constitute "advertising" for that product.

No one should have to explain the difference between writing an article about a video game and regurgitating press releases, but if there's anything the last week has made clear, someone does.

Christopher Grant on the Polygon site said:
Please read our Community Guidelines here – we reserve every right to delete comments that aren't helpful or on-topic. If you want to criticize us, you're welcome to send us an email to feedback@polygon.com. If you want to make a new account – which all the detractors here have done – and come here to rile up negativity, we're going to stop you.

Haha. Ahahaha. Awesomely ridiculous.

But really, almost all game sites are about promoting the games industry as a whole or particular games, and they're basically all supported by the industry itself. Of course it's all PR. Just like most journalism, it serves an ulterior goal of manipulation. It's a lot less offensive and harmful than most other journalism though, which is why it is more obvious.

There are quite a few good books on this, off the top of my head, Propaganda (by Edward Bernays, a classic), Manufacturing Consent by Chomsky & Herman (not about marketing and PR but very interesting nonetheless); Market-driven Journalism (John McManus) and PR! - A Social History of Spin (Stuart Ewan) are less "radical" but still awesome. The Aronson and the Ellul books on propaganda are also nice but focus more on state propaganda. No Logo by Naomi Klein is pretty relevant too. Probably lots more also that I can't remember now.

Seriously, what's happening in games PR/journalism is pretty funny and extreme(ly obvious), but it's just the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

aeolist

Banned
Mostly because it wasn't the appropriate resolution for the site and looked blurry.

Look, do I think it was the best, most useful post we've ever run? No, I don't. Do I see any malice in running it? Nope!

This smells like a witch hunt to me — all we're doing is keeping the comments thread clear and on-topic. Since that was going to require a lot of maintenance, we just turned comments off.

We've spent a lot of money creating great gaming content that I think goes beyond what many of our peers have. I hope you look to that when you decide to dismiss the entire site based on one contest post. Here's a story from today!
Don't worry, I won't dismiss you site because of this.

I dismissed it weeks ago when you took money from Microsoft to fund your insufferable self-aggrandizing advertisements and founded the site with staff drawn from the worst writers on the Internet.

No one should have to explain the difference between writing an article about a video game and regurgitating press releases, but if there's anything the last week has made clear, someone does.

Sure, but "regurgitating a press release" is not the same as "advertising" is all I'm saying. It's not advertising if you're not getting paid for it.

EXGN

This isn't an advertorial. An advertorial is content that a publication is paid to write by an advertiser, ex. Michelin paying Car & Driver to write about how it's new tire technology improves performance. This is a press release that was sent out to press sites because the publisher thinks its something that their audience would enjoy knowing about/find interesting.

That said, it's a pretty shitty press release that I probably wouldn't have considered newsworthy. I think it's misleading to call this "advertising" though.

Revven

Lol, "games journalism" at its finest. So glad I only pay attention to GB, they don't post this kind of drivel on their site as "news". This is literally disgusting and a great way to start off the new week, that's for sure!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Patrick K. did it the right way. A different perspective was applied to the press and it wasn't recycled PR garbage.

It really doesn't take much. He's simply actually writing about what Rockstar said instead of just parroting their press release, and he didn't actually write a longer article than what's on Polygon.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
You have to admit, after all of the hoopla leading up to their launch and last week's events, it takes serious balls to do this. So they got that at least.

Sup guys.

This where we talk about the future of games journalism?

Polygon
ijoxpmvHd1rSd.PNG

RockstarGames.com
iJQOMXoQbHRHG.PNG

CTRL-C, CTRL-V, edit... aaand done.

the thought the polygon was going to be any different then the trash out there is laughable when the people who made polygon are just comprised of transplants from other game websites that are equally bad

games "journalism".....sigh

In short, we welcome your feedback, but in an appropriate venue. The comments thread of an article isn't that venue.

So, any and all reader comments about an article or review that are seen as negative will immediately be censored, no question. No public feedback allowed. Got it.

It's like you guys LIKE being vilified.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
In short, we welcome your feedback, but in an appropriate venue. The comments thread of an article isn't that venue.
Ugh. And I thought I'd seen enough games journalists wrongly deciding what is and isn't worthy of discussion over the last week. I guess it's nice to see some things will never change. You'll play the victim, run back to your clique of lapdogs for moral support, and the cycle continues. Absolutely no self awareness.

Why isn't this a banned site yet?

That's how I'd like to see more sites do it.

More sites should do it in general, to be frank. As I mentioned, Crunchyroll does it, even though that's entirely outside of their remit. Seriously now, if an anime streaming site can do it, a site claiming to be a revolution in gaming journalism should be more than capable as well.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
after reaping the harvest of a $750,000 investment on behalf of the generous philanthropists at microsoft's IE department, who saw an opportunity to become gracious patrons of the bastion of a new kind of non-partisan game journalism, polygon have unfairly come under fire from those wishing to grind their tin-foil corruption axes and cynics who couldn't find it in themselves to have faith in polygon's cause.

despite a heart-wrenching documentary which for the first time truly illustrates the toil and struggle that these crusaders of digital truth have put themselves through in order to act on their moral convictions, people were still trying to pour water on polygon's beacon lone beacon in the night.

rising above the noise, polygon came out defiant, with an ethics statement which stood them apart from all those two bit e-rags clambering over each other to suck at the PR teat:

"Our policies do not permit placements of advertorial on Polygon. We will endeavor to clearly mark any advertisement or "infomercial" (videos, Flash animations, etc.) shown on Polygon as an advertisement."

oops:

well, uh. maybe they actively sought out this story? you shouldn't assume that every PR-alike piece is straight from the corporate chimera's mouth..

Polygon:
i5B9GDqUf34jp.PNG

Videogamer.com
iy6n46eEwRbdR.PNG

EGMnow.com
ibs8I7OBa5y5IA.PNG

i guess it's a story people want so bad that there's no time to dress it up in flowery new language, just get it out there, let their audience decide!

i4AWgQfA50J7l.png

uh. so, i guess they were all just off topic trolls and spam comments then, like these?

ibo8YinR5jjviX.PNG

well shit.

Dennis

Banned
Annndd......we are down to one comment:

Christopher Grant said:

Positivity only guys, please.

Jerski

Neo Member
Where's that black dude clapping .gif, at least GiantBomb posted some snark while informing. Kudos to them, maybe they are more honest than thought to believed.

I'm sorry, did you just offer praise for inserting snark into an otherwise innocuous post?

watership

What's the difference between this and every site out there posting the announcement of mountain dew game fuel coming back? Loads of sites did that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This smells like a witch hunt to me —

AHHHHHHH!!!!! YOU SAID THE SECRET WORD!

Games Journalism not changing after the controversy over the last week and hiding behind "LALALALALALA DEM NEOGAFFERS GOING ON A WITCH HUNT! WE AREN'T PR DEPARTMENTS! LALALALALALALALALALALALA"

Top Bottom