• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: PS4 can't view trophies offline

Even if this is true........these are all little things that can be patched, as they probably will be over the coming months. The OS will evolve, get corrected, new things added, some things removed, etc. etc. Not being able to view my trophies offline right now isn't something to get rattled over.

tfur

Why is Polygon so mad?

In my opinion:

Super salty from Microsoft's failure to deliver a well design piece of hardware, as compared to the competition. This, along with old biases and Microsoft financial support probably leads to some dissolution. Finally, general poorly skilled workers as journalists.

Edit: I don't have any opinion about the trophy sync thing, as I could care less about trophies.

So should it not be reported on? When did they say it was a major issue?

No, it shouldn't be reported on. It's Polygon trying to stir up shit like they've been doing since PS4 reviews and media were allowed to be released. They haven't done a goddamn thing but troll endlessly.

Frodo

Lots of overly defensive people in this thread. Polygon is just reporting on an interesting firmware tidbit, a fact that has been backed up by a PS4 owner in this very thread. It's likely either a bug or oversight and will probably get fixed quickly.

The Polygon article didn't say Sony was doomed, nor did it make this out to be some kind of big deal.

Strange how Polygon gets shit on whether or not they are correct.

Can't win.

Biker19

Banned
Already confirmed by a GAFfer in this thread. Its real. Likely just a bug. Will be fixed in a reasonable amount of time

Stop being ridiculous and take your hate elsewhere.

It seems that trophy issue isn't FUD, but a fact. Not a big issue for most people, but still a fact. Which is the opposite of FUD.

Go look at this & tell me that Polygon's not bullshitting:

Are people sure that there is no 'offline mode' like the PS3 got?

Looking at the Shacknews video, viewing trophies offline works just fine (video at 2:05):

http://youtu.be/ZhFzDG_1Daw?t=2m5s

PBY

Banned
No, it shouldn't be reported on. It's Polygon trying to stir up shit like they've been doing since PS4 reviews and media were allowed to be released. They haven't done a goddamn thing but troll endlessly.
What.

Damn bruh. You followed the money I see.

It seems that trophy issue isn't FUD, but a fact. Not a big issue for most people, but still a fact. Which is the opposite of FUD.

I stand corrected. I seemed to have missed the development. Still pretty much a non-story since it seemed to work before the update so it looks like it'll be patched.

What.

Damn bruh. You followed the money I see.

I'm not going to engage in a conversation with a person that has fervently defended Microsoft under the guise of being practical in every thread ad nauseam. You're not worth my time, to be frank. If you can't see why people are calling for Polygon to be banned then you're part of the problem. Even Evillore called Gies one of the most disreputable people in the industry.

PBY

Banned
I'm not going to engage in a conversation with a person that has fervently defended Microsoft under the guise of being practical in every thread ad nauseam. You're not worth my time, to be frank. If you can't see why people are calling for Polygon to be banned then you're part of the problem. Even Evillore called Gies one of the most disreputable people in the industry.
I'm not defending MS. If its a fact, they should report it though.

Why are you so mad? Geez man, the wars have gotten to you, take a step back. I'm super hyped for tomorrow, let's just play ps4.

I fell for it too biker... Still a non story though (He's referring to that shacknews vid)

I wouldn't call this definitive.

This is pre-1.05 update which is why they can't connect to PSN. This behavior could have been changed with the update.

They also appear to be using a non-PSN account, so it's a local only account (the top of the screen says User 1 which I assume is where your actual username would go). Maybe only local users can view their trophies offline since they don't connect to PSN anyways.

I'd wait to hear from other people who are on the latest update.

Persona7

Banned

I don't know if you know this but Gies is not the only person who works at Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/pages/about

frayne182

Banned

wow you are some hurt over them reporting facts.

DigitalOp

Banned
Trophies are the bane of modern recreational gaming. This thread proves that.

I love trophies, I just have no time to devote to complete them so they all end up less than 80%, reminding me of my failures constantly....

I'm not defending MS. If its a fact, they should report it though.

Why are you so mad? Geez man, the wars have gotten to you, take a step back. I'm super hyped for tomorrow, let's just play ps4.

It's nothing worth reporting. It doesn't cripple the console. It doesn't prevent people from playing games. It has no impact on the launch. You can bet your ass if the Xbox One OS/UI is missing something that is so miniscule it will NOT be Polygon reporting it.

wow you are some hurt over them reporting facts.

I think it was more that there was no real point in reporting it. A tweet would have sufficed. For more Polylol nonsense refer to Polygon: MS bought Titanfall thread

And theres this:

Their PS4 review was absolute horse shit. Stating BS like "the PS4 has no exclusives to look forward to besides Infamous till summer 2014" So MLB The Show, Drive Club, The Order, and a slew of indie titles simply don't exist, right Polygon? Then they go on their 12hr PS4 pod-cast, and have the balls to make the ludicrous claim that "only MS is announcing new IP's" These guys are utterly pathetic.

Completely forgot about this load of horseshit

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Their PS4 review was absolute horse shit. Stating BS like "the PS4 has no exclusives to look forward to besides Infamous till summer 2014" So MLB The Show, Drive Club, The Order, and a slew of indie titles simply don't exist, right Polygon? Then they go on their 12hr PS4 pod-cast, and have the balls to make the ludicrous claim that "only MS is announcing new IP's" These guys are utterly pathetic.

PBY

Banned
It's nothing worth reporting. It doesn't cripple the console. It doesn't prevent people from playing games. It has no impact on the launch. You can bet your ass if the Xbox One OS/UI is missing something that is so miniscule it will NOT be Polygon reporting it.
So they shouldn't report it because it's not a major problem?

C'mon man. Think about what youre saying. How about they report it, and let the consumers have all the info?

Curufinwe

They are openly and repeatedly dishonest.

Frodo

-Firmware update 1.5 removes (maybe unintentionally) the ability to check your trophies offline on PS4.
-Polygon reports the problem.
-Confusion arises, as supposedly the function was present before the update
-NeoGAF member checks and also can't access his trophies offline.
-Some members on NeoGAF demand Polygon to be banned, apparently because they should not have reported it for some reason.

Is this summary correct?

jimi_dini

I stand corrected. I seemed to have missed the development. Still pretty much a non-story since it seemed to work before the update so it looks like it'll be patched.

Do you understand what FUD actually means?

It's short for "Fear, uncertainty and doubt".

If Polygon would have reported that "PS4 can't view trophies offline and they will surely never be able to patch it, don't buy PS4 unless you want to be online all the time" - that would be FUD.

Instead they are just reporting about a really stupid failure on Sony's part. It seems it's true and then it's a fact and reporting about it is absolutely fine. Maybe Sony will patch it in 3 days. If that will be the case, you can probably thank Polygon for that. Instead GAF is asking for Polygon to get banned. Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Persona7

Banned
-Firmware update 1.5 removes (maybe unintentionally) the ability to check your trophies offline on PS4.
-Some members on NeoGAF demand Polygon to be banned, apparently because they should not have reported it for some reason.

Is this summary correct?

Copy and paste the last line after the first line.

frayne182

Banned
I think it was more that there was no real point in reporting it. A tweet would have sufficed. For more Polylol nonsense refer to Polygon: MS bought Titanfall thread

It is though because Trophies and Achievements like it or not are a big part of gaming now. People base their gaming off of them.

Jesus fucking Christ... just watched the vid you quoted and the guy is clearly accessing trophy lists without being online.

Is this seriously... seriously Polygon pulling more fud shit again? I can't believe it, just can't. Second time tonight from them.

The thought of tonight's event must have them scared absolutely shitless I can only assume. Pre-emptive damage control at max settings.

If Polygon would have reported that "PS4 can't view trophies offline and they will surely never be able to patch it, don't buy PS4 unless you want to be online all the time" - that would be FUD.

Instead they are just reporting about a really stupid failure on Sony's part. It seems it's true and then it's a fact and reporting about it is absolutely fine. Maybe Sony will patch it in 3 days. If that will be the case, you can probably thank Polygon for that.
and you just proved you don't even understand the concept of FUD.

Persona7

Banned
Jesus fucking Christ... just watched the vid you quoted and the guy is clearly accessing trophy lists without being online.

Is this seriously... seriously Polygon pulling more fud shit again? I can't believe it, just can't. Second time tonight from them.

The thought of tonight's event must have them scared absolutely shitless I can only assume. Pre-emptive damage control at max settings.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89881091&postcount=166

A GAF member confirmed what polygon reported.

Phades

True, and I'll fess up to my own new-shiny-driven-impatience. Guilty as charged :)
I wasn't trying to point fingers. ^_^;

Hell I've had similar problems with PC hardware that is really new and the growing pains with them, so I am a little bit more gunshy now days in general. Occasionally I'll still pickup a piece of software near launch. That's few and far between though. Lately, my bigger problem lies in finding a newer title that outstrips my interest in a older titles I already own.

But as someone who has been through several launches of my own software and services I don't get the luxury of shrugging and saying "it's launch". I get my ass to work, fixing bugs large and small, and I don't expect customers to make excuses for me. So some comments just seem bizarre to me.
Yeah, double standards and such. The smaller the buisness, the more critical it is to ensure qualtiy of product for repeat buisness. Larger buisnesses, not so much since they start playing by different sets of rules focusing on the macro rather than the micro. Collectively, we can blame the internet and our own impatience, but that really doesn't create any useful solutions.

When you build yourself a reputation you have to accept that fate. If Polygon was consistently a fair and balanced website they wouldn't have people questioning their "reports". They do it to themselves.

mrg6290

Well, look at this:

Yea. Its not intentional. Its a bug. Like I said. It will be fixed.

Everyone here needs to calm down. Its a small issue, they posted about it, like they often do when issues come up (XBL/PSN down, this and that not working correctly, etc). They will update with statement from Sony saying its gonna be fixed and everything is ok.

Instead they are just reporting about a really stupid failure on Sony's part. It seems it's true and then it's a fact and reporting about it is absolutely fine. Maybe Sony will patch it in 3 days. If that will be the case, you can probably thank Polygon for that. Instead GAF is asking for Polygon to get banned. Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I certainly do understand what it means. That's why I deferred to you and said 'I stand corrected'. You have to realise that, this 'story' on its own isn't too bad, but all the previous articles and that farce of a livestream in addition to the titanfall blunder... Just no. But I still stand by that it was a non story.

It is though because Trophies and Achievements like it or not are a big part of gaming now. People base their gaming off of them.

And its a non story because...

It is probably an oversight, and it will probably be patched soon. I wouldn't stress about it.

Even refers to it in the manual as previous posts have shown it and in the video even if it was pre-patch.

There's no blatant FUD in this article. Polygon reported something previously unknown after extensive testing and also reached out to Sony for comment/clarification. A PS4 owner in this thread has already posted a screenshot saying it's true.

All the people calling for Polygon to be a banned site should read EviLore's response yesterday: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715173

Yup, I see where I went wrong, and corrected myself in a previous post. Near the end of the last page I believe

Sean

Banned
But its not overreacting when its blatant FUD being spread though

There's no blatant FUD in this article. Polygon reported something previously unknown after extensive testing and also reached out to Sony for comment/clarification. A PS4 owner in this thread has already posted a screenshot saying it's true.

All the people calling for Polygon to be a banned site should read EviLore's response yesterday: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715173

FranXico

Is this summary correct?

Very close, but no.

-Polygon reports the problem, along with claims that the PS3 could display the PSN account info while offline, another feature which is supposedly also missing from the PS4 (this does get corrected in the article later on when commenters teach Polygon staff about basic PS3 functionality).
-Confusion arises, as supposedly the function was present before the update - something Polygon also forgot to clarify.
-Some members on NeoGAF demand Polygon to be banned, apparently because of how they reported rumors and spread confusion in the past.

could you read the message right above yours please, how can it not be any clearer, especially based on how fast the thread is moving.

RaikuHebi

Banned
In my opinion:

Super salty from Microsoft's failure to deliver a well design piece of hardware, as compared to the competition. This, along with old biases and Microsoft financial support probably leads to some dissolution. Finally, general poorly skilled workers as journalists.

Edit: I don't have any opinion about the trophy sync thing, as I could care less about trophies.
I'm with you on that. Trophies and online gaming will not be happening on my PS4.

Top Bottom