• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: PS4 can't view trophies offline

Phades

That's honestly what it looks like. There'd be a thread on this no matter who reported it, because there are people out there, gaffers included who care about trophies and how the OS works.

People are giving these companies way too much room to delay and omit features and capabilities down the road. I know the reality is that things get rushed at launch, but for fuck's sake, everything is *supposed* to work day one. And we should hold all of these companies to exactly that.

The SOP should be to not buy first launch run consoles and force the manufacturers to change their practices, but we know that will never happen as long as the internet exists enabling them to take shortcuts in development. A similar statement could be made towards games as well with many different development teams and publishing houses, driving people to only buy the "GOTY" editions later so that they don't get screwed on the initial launch issues, content add-ons, and other features that could be viewed as part of the core game as originally envisioned.

Sure, things like this and the lack of media features, and other things in general should get reported on, but not half assed reporting leaving a response from the developer out giving insight as to why it occurred and if it will change anytime soon.

And then there is this, which just confuses the intent of the core issue entirely.

Are people sure that there is no 'offline mode' like the PS3 got?

Looking at the Shacknews video, viewing trophies offline works just fine (video at 2:05):

http://youtu.be/ZhFzDG_1Daw?t=2m5s

My experience has been the opposite. Maybe Polygon had issues with it. Its definitely not true across the board. Sad if this is more FUD.

So your trophies showed up while the console was offline/not connected?

if so could you post some pics or a vid so people can have something recent and definitive to go on?.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So why do you need to sync trophies? the PS4 must save them somewhere.
or like the poster above said, it could be like the PS3 and have the option for offline & online, PS3 can't view trophies either offline if set to online.
offline probably only shows PS4 trophies & online shows PS4, PS3 & Vita.

Mung

They are NOT the ones making a big fuss of it, you are. I don't get it -- if everytime these people breath GAF loses its mind, why not take the appropriate action to truly ban all links to them? Is this a possibility? Because it's gotten old now.

It's not this one event in isolation - it's an accumulation of nearly a year of misleading, biased and downright deceitful output with a clear agenda which is peaking now at crunch time. That's why each single event causes this reaction.

Are people sure that there is no 'offline mode' like the PS3 got?

Looking at the Shacknews video, viewing trophies offline works just fine (video at 2:05):

http://youtu.be/ZhFzDG_1Daw?t=2m5s

I wouldn't call this definitive.

This is pre-1.05 update which is why they can't connect to PSN. This behavior could have been changed with the update.

They also appear to be using a non-PSN account, so it's a local only account (the top of the screen says User 1 which I assume is where your actual username would go). Maybe only local users can view their trophies offline since they don't connect to PSN anyways.

I'd wait to hear from other people who are on the latest update.

FranXico

As I said, it's possible Trohies are a REAL TIME feature now, since they are all scaled with a Rarity rating.

You have to compare it region-wide in order to determine the trophy's rarity.

Caching would not give you an accurate rarity "Rating" while offline.

That's a possibility, but then again, you can also skip displaying the rarity while offline.

Sony in cuckholding shocker.
It was only a matter of time really.

The SOP should be to not buy first launch run consoles and force the manufacturers to change their practices, but we know that will never happen as long as the internet exists enabling them to take shortcuts in development.
True, and I'll fess up to my own new-shiny-driven-impatience. Guilty as charged :)

But as someone who has been through several launches of my own software and services I don't get the luxury of shrugging and saying "it's launch". I get my ass to work, fixing bugs large and small, and I don't expect customers to make excuses for me. So some comments just seem bizarre to me.

Mildly lame, but not a big deal. Never payed attention to trophies anyway. I think the fact that Polygon considers it newsworthy at all is a bit of a display of where their interests lie.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's not this one event in isolation - it's an accumulation of nearly a year of misleading, biased and downright deceitful output which is peaking now at crunch time. That's why each single event causes this reaction.

Then ignore topics on them and they'll go away. Your last page is nearly all polygon related.

Curufinwe

It's not this one event in isolation - it's an accumulation of nearly a year of misleading, biased and downright deceitful output with a clear agenda which is peaking now at crunch time. That's why each single event causes this reaction.

Just last night they claimed only MS were announcing new IP.

ibz5NPoL8PPkfQ.gif

Perfect gif to show how they operate.

#PolyGoHome

BeerSnob

Also their PS4 12 hour whinge-fest last night was actually painful to watch. They invented things to be upset about and spent a goodly portion of the event talking about how wonderful the Xbone is and how Microsoft would have done "it" better. It being whatever it was they were talking about at that moment. When gies/geis whatever his name is breaks into a heartfelt love letter to Titanfall and the Xbox I hurt myself laughing.

I don't know, that video was posted yesterday, and alr1ght attempted to view trophies offline not more than half an hour ago, and the PS4 told him to connect to the internet.

Maybe something broke between then and now.

Definitely within the realm of possibilities, but its there, which means people who are NOT able to get online, probably won't have this issue.

spwolf

So why do you need to sync trophies?

well, you are syncing to the server in any case, thats the point, so you have it under your account on server (in the case you login from somewhere else for instance, things like that).

I am sure it will be added anyway, seems like one of the things on the list.

It is funny that Polygon is making a deal about any "issue" they find, especially since they tried to convince us that online-only gaming is better anyway for XB1

Sean

Banned
Lots of overly defensive people in this thread. Polygon is just reporting on an interesting firmware tidbit, a fact that has been backed up by a PS4 owner in this very thread. It's likely either a bug or oversight and will probably get fixed quickly.

The Polygon article didn't say Sony was doomed, nor did it make this out to be some kind of big deal.

mrg6290

And yet the entire PS4 launch coverage was brought to you by Sony pre-roll ads and everything.

Yea. Not sure why everyone is giving Polygon such a hard time.

Definitely some of dat confirmation bias/persecution complex going around. Oh console wars.

mrg6290

So, that's the second time in five minutes someone in Polygon said some utter bullshit? Why isn't the site banned yet? Seriously now, after the Titanfall claim they are near Go Nintendo's level of reliability.

Already confirmed by a GAFfer in this thread. Its real. Likely just a bug. Will be fixed in a reasonable amount of time

Stop being ridiculous and take your hate elsewhere.

lazydom

can we just stop linking to polygon... all these negative pieces are probably driving their traffic up and positively reinforcing their behavior.

can we just stop linking to polygon... all these negative pieces are probably driving their traffic up and positively reinforcing their behavior.

I refuse to click on any link that would give them hits. This is a non issue that can easily be patched later. It seems like a minor oversight.

Lots of overly defensive people in this thread. Polygon is just reporting on an interesting firmware tidbit, a fact that has been backed up by a PS4 owner in this very thread. It's likely either a bug or oversight and will probably get fixed quickly.

The Polygon article didn't say Sony was doomed, nor did it make this out to be some kind of big deal.

But its not overreacting when its blatant FUD being spread though

AlexMogil

Not saying it is.

I'd just prefer that the game's press delve into the problem and get a statement rather than just put an article out saying that something seems strange and leave people to speculate.

Local confirmation bias aside - yeah. You're right. I feel like this article is reporting something for the sake of being first, not right. It's a very small matter that could have waited on the the actual launch. Or an actual word from Sony. Heck maybe they're working on the trophy services for the launch, who knows. Polygon, you're 'gaming media.' Ask Sony and get an answer!

BibiMaghoo

Strange how Polygon gets shit on whether or not they are correct.

It's really not. It is the result of people that work for the site, actually spouting proven nonsense in the past, as if it was fact. It's only natural people will now assume they are only doing the same until proven otherwise.

They are only reaping what they have sown.

FranXico

It's really not. It is the result of people that work for the site, actually spouting proven nonsense in the past, as if it was fact. It's only natural people will now assume they are only doing the same until proven otherwise.

They are only reaping what they have sown.

quoted for truth.

Top Bottom