• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: PS4 can't view trophies offline

On the PS3 there`s the whole trophy "mode".

Online means you see trophies from PS3/PS4/PSV.
Offline you can only see trophies from that particular system.

Is it not the same? Maybe we can change the mode somewhere in the options.

iratA

No Offline Trophy viewing? Why? This has got to be patched sooner rather than later. This and the ability to export our saved game play videos to USB.

Jhriad

ibz5NPoL8PPkfQ.gif

LOL. I've got tears running down my face right now.

TheGrue

Not by Polygon, I am sure...

Heh, probably not. I meant more along the lines of lots of threads here pointing out the little things that slipped through or are oversights. You can't know these kinds of things until the consoles are out in the wild and people get time with them.

Somebody should just get Sony to give a statement on just what the fuck is up with trophies on PS4.

First we had the synch, doesn't-have-to-synch confusion, and now we have this possible online requirement/oversight whatever.

How about instead of everybody assuming one way or another, one of those press guys out there can get some official word? Did the guy who was supposed to do the whole trophy part of the OS get the flu or something?

Not at all worried about this.. I mean vita can view own tropjies offline. Probably an OS feature sony did not prioritize at launch and instead focused on things that matter first.

Somebody should just get Sony to give a statement on just what the fuck is up with trophies on PS4.

First we had the synch, doesn't-have-to-synch confusion, and now we have this possible online requirement/oversight whatever.

How about instead of everybody assuming one way or another, one of those press guys out there can get some official word? Did the guy who was supposed to do the whole trophy part of the OS get the flu or something?
fuckin this.. The one thing I hate is uncertainty. Sony should just tell it as it is, and what their plans are.

Cels

So we're supposed to ban Polygon for reporting news that many people here would rather not know because they like the console?

Polygon never said it was a big deal. If they break news that deserves commendation. Instead people project their own biases assuming Polygon has an agenda when it makes no sense to have a problem with fact-based reporting like this.

If you pay no attention to their negative stuff about Microsoft and positive about Sony then that's a very convenient way to try and discredit them as biased when negative about Sony. The confirmation bias here is off the frickin' charts, it's quite depressing how few will even attempt critical thinking. Most screaming bias at every chance are among the most biased themselves.

Polygon is writing this because it's true (as confirmed above by alr1ght) and it's newsworthy. When a feature that has been on PS3 for at least four years (as I said earlier in this thread, I got my PS3 in '09 and was able to view trophies offline back then) is somehow scrapped for your next-gen console, it's news. Some people don't give a shit about trophies and that's totally fine, but there's no arguing that that having to go online to view your trophies is a step backwards.

Some people in the thread seem to be confused about offline mode, claiming it was added a few months ago, which is untrue. There was always the ability to view your trophies offline. The only behavior that was modified was that you can now choose whether or not to have the PS3 sync your trophies if you look at them. Before, if you were signed in and tried to look at your trophies, the PS3 would try to sync them if you had earned new ones...which because PS3 trophy syncing is terrible, might take a few minutes.

I'm sure it will be patched in, and I'm also sure that Polygon will put on a news article detailing that update when it hits, just like every news site details PS3 firmware updates, even ones that appear to do nothing for the end-user.

kris.

Banned

First we had the synch, doesn't have to synch confusion, and now we have this possible online requirement/oversight whatever.

How bout we wait something like 7 hours for the console to just come out and find out ourselves?

Because this is such a pressing matter.

Pain

Banned
If true, I don't get what the big deal is. Is this somehow hurting PS4? Just seems like ammunition to keep fanboys going back and forth.

Satchel

Banned
Wait, so not only did Sony not really set up trophies properly, they took away something even the PS3 could do with them?

No way. There has to be something more to this we're not aware of.

Hmm, so true then? Fucking lame.

Can't believe they wouldn't at the least work this like the Vita trophy app, where Vita game trophies are viewable offline, but the full unified trophy list is online only.

Wtf?

I think the call to ban stems more from that "MS JUST BOUGHT TITANFALL IP" thread.

They aren't a trustworthy source. This is the simple fact of it. I'd initially have had no problems believing this from literally ANY other media outlet... fuck, even MisterX Media!

Polygon is writing this because it's true (as confirmed above by alr1ght) and it's newsworthy. When a feature that has been on PS3 for at least four years (as I said earlier in this thread, I got my PS3 in '09 and was able to view trophies offline back then) is somehow scrapped for your next-gen console, it's news. Some people don't give a shit about trophies and that's totally fine, but there's no arguing that that having to go online to view your trophies is a step backwards.

Some people in the thread seem to be confused about offline mode, claiming it was added a few months ago, which is untrue. There was always the ability to view it offline. The only behavior that was modified was that you can now choose whether or not to have the PS3 sync your trophies if you look at them. Before, if you were signed in and tried to look at your trophies, the PS3 would try to sync them if you had earned new ones...which because PS3 trophy syncing is terrible, might take a few minutes.

I'm sure it will be patched in, and I'm also sure that Polygon will put on a news article detailing that update when it hits, just like every news site details PS3 firmware updates, even ones that appear to do nothing for the end-user.

catch up.

Are people sure that there is no 'offline mode' like the PS3 got?

Looking at the Shacknews video, viewing trophies offline works just fine (video at 2:05):

http://youtu.be/ZhFzDG_1Daw?t=2m5s

As I said, it's possible Trohies are a REAL TIME feature now, since they are all scaled with a Rarity rating.

You have to compare it region-wide in order to determine the trophy's rarity.

Caching would not give you an accurate rarity "Rating" while offline.

But, I don't really care about trophies anyway. Just give my my CONSOLE, UPS!!!!!

Mung

Don't see the problem.
Afterall, not being able to play games without internet wasn't a big deal at all, am i right Polygon?

breakfuss

Don't see the problem.
Afterall, not being able to play games without internet wasn't a big deal at all, am i right Polygon?

They are NOT the ones making a big fuss of it, you are. I don't get it -- if everytime these people breath GAF loses its mind, why not take the appropriate action to truly ban all links to them? Is this a possibility? Because it's gotten old now.

Footos22

Ps3 online mode takes ages to load just cos of the limitations in system memory. Vitas online mode is almost as fast as its local content. Ppl moaning about syncing. You won't be waiting for a bar anymore it does it in the background. You're free to browse the trophies at the same time. Fuss about nothing

Ulumsk

My experience has been that you can do it in demo units at least. Weird if its disabled for launch.Maybe Polygon had issues with it. Its definitely not true across the board. Sad if this is more FUD.

Nafai1123

Banned
Not saying it is.

I'd just prefer that the game's press delve into the problem and get a statement rather than just put an article out saying that something seems strange and leave people to speculate.

That goes against the whole concept of spreading FUD though...

They're saying that you could do that on the PS3, when that is not true. You never could do those things offline either.

They're just trying to pull more "missing features" out of their asses.

People on GAF trying to defend that garbage of a site are truly shocking me though.
Oh, yeah, and fuck Polygon. What a garbage site. It's pretty clear where their interests lie. It makes everything they say lack objectivity. I get my gaming journalism elsewhere.

flkraven

How are people in rural areas with bad internet supposed to view their trophies? What about overseas military?

#trophydrm

The Data has to still be on the PS4 though no? Since you still need to sync the trophies in the first place.

It would need to less of a sync and more of a queue of trophies gained while offline. One way communication.

I am not saying this is how it works btw. Just that I would understand why it would be done this way.

Cels

I'm saying what I said. catchup/ketchup/catsup/okay?

I don't know, that video was posted yesterday, and alr1ght attempted to view trophies offline not more than half an hour ago, and the PS4 told him to connect to the internet.

Maybe something broke between then and now.

Top Bottom