• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Riot Games isn't worried about Valve's $10M Dota 2 prize pool, here's why

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yet all of the LCS players always have all the champions. In a hypothetical situation, where we have a team with players that don't have all of the champions unlocked, and a team that does, the team that does has an advantage simply because they have a greater selection of champions to choose from. And if it's not based on counters, why are there multiple resources dedicated to counters to champions? I mean, a counter doesn't guarantee a win but specific counters will make things much easier, and this applies to both Dota and League.

The fact champions are locked behind time played/money spent isn't good for anyone. If I had never played either game, I would pick Dota simply on the fact my choices are not limited the minute I boot up the game.

Why are you equating a pro player's content to ours? Additionally why are you putting a normal gamer's status up to the pros? This comparison seems absurd. This entire argumentation is absurd.

Armaros

Luckily you don't need to have all the champions because the game is based on ingame skill/strategy and not in counterpicking before the match begins.

If you want to have an actual debate about business models and how each game's competative meta works...

It would help not to repeat incorrect stereotypes gotten from the LoL general forums.

Dota is not all about counter picking just like League isn't only about picking the top 10-20 heroes that Riot hasent nerfed into the ground, that both sides like to perpetuate.

Squishy3

Why are you equating a pro player's content to ours? Additionally why are you putting a normal gamer's status up to the pros? This comparison seems absurd. This entire argumentation is absurd.
I can see how you might think me comparing a normal player to the pros is absurd. But my argument about the champions is objectively true. A game offering everything gameplay related for free with no extra time or money put in versus a game that locks champions behind time played/money spent?

One is objectively friendlier to the consumer than the other.

I wonder what SC2 players and their couple hundreds dollars prizes are thinking.
"We wish Blizzard wasn't going after the Dota and LoL money."

Oshimai

cJCVhqU.jpg

Those selling points aren't very strong either.

patapuf

Ugh. DOTA vs LoL fanboyism.

The LCS model is great, and if you're a fan of real sports, I don't see the point in acting like you don't want your favorite e-sport to be modeled in the same way.

I like an organized league, I like that the pros are exclusively part of it, I like the constant tournaments that are all under the "LCS" umbrella. Just like I like my NBA basketball, where there are starters, bench players, trades and it all feels like it's gradually working towards something big.

That being said, nothing is wrong with how Valve does it, since they are all about making $$$ and pleasing the community. After putting over 1000 hours into each game, still being a total noob, I find myself tuning into LCS just because it reminds me of watching real sports with constant games and analysis.

I'm glad I no longer give a shit about being elitist and trying to talk badly of LoL or trying to prove DOTA2's superiority in light of LoL's superior popularity. Both offer a different experience throughout the gameplay and community aspects.

Having multiple big and small tournaments over the year is like real sports too. Tennis for example works just fine like that. Considering most tournaments culminate in "lan finals" it makes sense to organise them like that, rather than one big league. By now quite a few 200k+ prize money tournaments have established themselves. Apart from the month after TI there's high quality Dota all year round.

Teams are really stable in DOTA too, the reason is simple, if you haven't been toghether for a while you don't get a direct invite to TI and everyone wants to go to TI.

Having multiple big and small tournaments over the year is like real sports too. Tennis for example works just fine like that. Considering most tournaments culminate in "lan finals" it makes sense to organise them like that, rather than one big league. By now quite a few 200k+ prize money tournaments have established themselves. Apart from the month after TI there's high quality Dota all year round.

Teams are really stable in DOTA too, the reason is simple, if you haven't been toghether for a while you don't get a direct invite to TI and everyone wants to go to TI.

I know nothing about LoL's pro scene so I can only chime in on DOTA's. I think for the most part, it's an amazing community that seems to be thriving more and more year after year. I feel like this year was especially solid even if you look outside of TI. There were plenty of tourneys with big prize pools for the top teams. Heck, you could earn quite a bit of money doing well in a lot of tourneys outside of TI. This obviously wasn't the case during TI2 and leading up to TI3. The scene has definitely grown by leaps and bounds this last year. Just casually looking at viewership numbers, non TI tourneys have grown significantly. We used to have 10K as good numbers for non TI tourneys but 30-50K and beyond is pretty normal these days. Decentralizing the league also leads to more interesting experiments in competitive formats. I thought the most enjoyable tournament this year outside the International was the Beyond the Summit's, The Summit. This was basically a 6 team LAN event that allowed for a more intimate atmosphere due to its location (BTS house). You had pro players jump in for off the cuff casting and an inside look of the studio. Having all the teams together in this manner also allowed for more low key interactions and it really gave the viewer a sense of being there on the couch watching the tournament unfold.

Skinpop

What's not mentioned in that post (but which I see mentioned elsewhere) is the equality that a more salary-focused approach provides. A big problem with esports historically has been that if you aren't in the top 10% of teams/players, you aren't making a livable wage and thus can't play the game full time, which only exacerbates the inequality in skill, as the top players can play all day.
that's a fair point but valves position has always been to let the community sort out these issues. It's a dangerous thing to have a single company be responsible for all tournaments and player salaries in the competitive scene. The important thing to note with Dota 2 is that salaries and support(such as equipment, boot camp, travel) from esports organizations have increased and the price pools of independent tournaments are quickly growing larger. It's really all about developing business models that allow organizations and content creators to experiment with different paths to earn money(while valve takes their cut). In my opinion that's a much more democratic system that will allow the game to prosper for a longer time while keeping the community happy and involved.

In addition to that, with the introduction of the dota 2 workshop tools and custom maps I only see Dota 2 continuing to grow at the same pace or faster for the foreseeable future.

Fots shired.

Riot is always so nasty and salty toward Valve about DotA.

Not this stupid ass image again. This is Garena, not Riot. Just go to Garena's website and you'll see the similarity in the theme. They've always been shady. They even marketed some other F2P FPS as Counterstrike 2.

Qvoth

"begging"
dayum riot be jelly as fuck

like what everyone said, their last point is the only one that matters, but even so it's not a "disaster" if they didn't reach the same amount as this year

Aselith

One change I would like to see is for Valve to take 50% of the money for compendiums and then split the other 50 between prize pool and a charity. I think that would be really great without affecting the prize pool. The compendium is esentially free money anyways. I mean Valve puts some work into it but I don't think it's 30 million dollars worth of work.

20 million is still fantastic and a charity would see a huge benefit from a 10 million dollar payout,

That depends if you get top three consistently.

Unofficial numbers put LoL pros earning ~40k a split from Riot. Two splits a year. Obviously better teams and more famous individuals get more, but some of the lower teams and no-names get less, so it's about 40k. Then sponsors and free food/housing (obviously both of these apply to Dota 2 pros as well).

I mean, if you're a top tier team in Dota 2 you make more. If you're not a part of that top tier (top 20% of the teams), you likely make less.

I thought it was closer to 20k a split per player, but you'd have to look up Marn's numbers from the payment controversy to be sure.

One thing you didn't mention is streaming revenues which can run into 6 figures for the more popular players.

Also... kind of hilarious that people in this thread are suggesting that LoL's popularity is a conspiracy. Please. If you're that sick of it being on top all you have to do is wait. Most of my friends have lost interest over the course of season 4.

patapuf

It seems to me like they are trying to make a big splash.

They've been steadily commited since the game came out, both for the game and TI. For the competitive scene they have developed tools and a market where tournament organisers can sell tickets to support the tournament. Dota also has the best spectator and replay client in videogames.

Valve is also famous for supporting their other multiplayer games for along time.

What gives you the impression they are just trying to make a big splash?

Those selling points aren't very strong either.

That image is from LOL beta in 2010, long before DOTA2 was even announced
Hon did similar advertising with "next gen DOTA"

I think Riots biggest issue is how the client is so outdated, every patch breaks something. Seems like everyday there is a new announcement of something disabled.
I think it helps that tons of old veterans from NA act like Kayne west and people seem to love it. LCS stuff is crazy

Aselith

They've been steadily commited since the game came out, both for the game and TI. For the competitive scene they have developed tools and a market where tournament organisers can sell tickets to support the tournament. Dota also has the best spectator and replay client in videogames.

Valve is also famous for supporting their other multiplayer games for along time.

What gives you the impression they are just trying to make a big splash?

10 MILLION DOLLARS! I'd assume he heard about the money and thought Valve was just frontloading a big amount presumably without understanding it came from a hugely supportive community. The truth is that with the tools that Valve has put in place they could live a lifesupport team on Dota tomorrow and the hats would continue to flow.

Fots shired.

As if the toxicity of the LoL community weren't bad enough, this sort of stuff coming from Riot themselves drives me even further away from the game.

The amount of ignorance on this one is astounding.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I find myself tuning into LCS just because it reminds me of watching real sports with constant games and analysis.

Plenty of sports don't run on a league system, both are perfectly valid ways to do things.

Aselith

Can't stand the thought of anything that might diminish LORD GABEN's sacred image, huh?

I think he just means selling a commodity is not begging. It'd be like saying every company ever is begging. Valve let you know that they'd use part of the money for the actual thing you got to fund the International but the prize pool isn't what you were buying. It was the Compendium and associated rewards that you bought. Lord Gaben sold people an e-book with some trinkets and they lapped it up.

Holding your heroes hostage is some thirsty shit though.

HariKari

Likewise, a Riot representative tells Polygon the company is not interested in maintaining a large annual prize pool by "begging" its community for an aspect of the game that it has taken responsibility for.

This is unnecessarily salty. Seems Riot is at least a little jealous of Dota's growth. Valve wasn't really begging anyone, just giving them an opportunity to support the game (and community) that they play. In return for buying a compendium, you got ingame stuff. No different than any other value proposition.

It's also disingenuous, because Valve puts in a certain amount to the pool regardless of what goes on with the compendium.

Renekton

10 MILLION DOLLARS! I'd assume he heard about the money and thought Valve was just frontloading a big amount presumably without understanding it came from a hugely supportive community. The truth is that with the tools that Valve has put in place they could live a lifesupport team on Dota tomorrow and the hats would continue to flow.
More importantly though, Valve defies gravity and their Steam platform is untouchable. No other western developer/publisher has this position.

I don't think LoL or WoT can survive on hats.

Usobuko

Banned
I'll be really surprised if Riot doesn't follow this footstep and came with a similar model. Even if their fanbase might be less dedicated on average dota ones, and that's a if, the sheer size of itself is still multiple times bigger.

They are not going to leave money on the table after Valve make a killing with compendium. At least, I don't think Tencent is that stupid.

This I don't get.

I can name 10+ Dota 2 players and I don't really even play the game. I can name 10+ League players as well.

If you don't know about the players, you're just not following the scene. It has nothing to do with the way the "scene" is set up for each game.
but you only need to know one..The General aka TheOddOne (and not the gaf user)

Sentenza

It's strange that people are arguing for several pages about the prize pool and how it will affect viewers' perception... And yet, unless I missed something, no one pointed that if it keeps consolidating or even growing it will become a strong (and I mean STRONG) draw for top players in the competitive scene.
"Pro" players will inevitably end competing where they feel there's more to gain.

Also, the reasoning behind the "Well, me plan more tournaments, more often" is a bit bogus, mostly because "they are planning" but not doing it right now, which as consequence makes TI the main event, and there's nothing suggesting Valve itself doesn't have similar plans in the long term.

Didn't watch much of The International this year but from what I heard, the finals were totally boring and lame. This is likely because everyone is playing it safe because they want that money.

The money does overshadow that event.
That's... pretty much the opposite of what actually happened.
They were boring mostly because they were two curb-stomp defeats without any particularly impressive highlight of skill and with the losing team throwing the towel barely 10-15 minutes into each match.

Reynx

For those wondering about the longevity of Dota 2, take a look at some of the modding tools that Valve has recently released. eSports growth aside, I wouldn't be surprised if the modding community formed by the eventual release of hundreds of custom games outlast both LCS and TI scenes.

Fots shired.

As if the toxicity of the LoL community weren't bad enough, this sort of stuff coming from Riot themselves drives me even further away from the game.

that was a picture to convince people going from DotA1 to LoL. iirc.

Skinpop

One change I would like to see is for Valve to take 50% of the money for compendiums and then split the other 50 between prize pool and a charity. I think that would be really great without affecting the prize pool. The compendium is esentially free money anyways. I mean Valve puts some work into it but I don't think it's 30 million dollars worth of work.

20 million is still fantastic and a charity would see a huge benefit from a 10 million dollar payout,
wow... this is odd. doesn't make any sense to me. All profit any company makes is "free money" then? Might as well give 50% of that to charities?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Dota 2 players decided to purely give valve $9+million prize pool (over $40 million overall) just for the tournament, it was also for the features/virtual_items which Valve had decided to put at certain milestones up the purchase/pay ladder pool.

If general/casual players started donating money for some international tournament for charity, I'd be completely surprised. But this isn't the case, a portion of the players purchased anything related to the tournament because there were something interesting attached to such purchases.

Edit: So this shoots back at League of Legends developers, do they have something interesting to offer to the players who can make such purchases? or are they such players in the first place, those who can afford to make purchases inside the game?

Edit 2
I personally bought it solely to support the tournament/players. Never bothered to level it up, items are a nice bonus but I never cared much about cosmetics. If I want to support a charity I go do so by my own accord directly. Valve giving part of compendium money to charities would rub me the wrong way - in that case why not have that part as well added to the price pool? The suggestion doesn't make any sense.

Edit 3: Correction from my end; when I meant charity..I meant giving money to Valve's tournament.

I am surprised.

This also means the playing community actually cares about the tournaments and players in them, but does RIOT has such support from the community?

Skinpop

I don't think Dota 2 players decided to purely give valve $9+million prize pool (over $40 million overall) just for the tournament, it was also for the features/virtual_items which Valve had decided to put at certain milestones up the purchase/pay ladder pool.

If general/casual players started donating money for some international tournament for charity, I'd be completely surprised. But this isn't the case, a portion of the players purchased anything related to the tournament because there were something interesting attached to such purchases.

I personally bought it solely to support the tournament/players. Never bothered to level it up, items are a nice bonus but I never cared much about cosmetics. If I want to support a charity I go do so by my own accord directly. Valve giving part of compendium money to charities would rub me the wrong way - in that case why not have that part as well added to the price pool? The suggestion doesn't make any sense.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Likewise, a Riot representative tells Polygon the company is not interested in maintaining a large annual prize pool by "begging" its community for an aspect of the game that it has taken responsibility for.

Damn, not chewing your words, are you, Riot?

mfaex

A more efficient solution for a reputable charity would be to commission an item for the shop with some/all of the money going to the charity.

Similar principle as this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2717672

On crowdfunding tournies, the Dota community has done it for many tournaments since the concept was born with TI3. http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Premier_Tournaments

Offer value in cosmetics (and other things), add the goodwill of aiding the prize pool, make money. TI makes the most because it's the biggest tournament and offers the most value for your money. It's neither begging nor any sort of charity.

Highlaw

Banned
I think the LCS model is more stable but they could do compendiums from time to time too. It's just fun for the community.

I like all the contests Riot gives out, because I'm able to participate in most of them, but not everyone can draw/cosplay so donating money would be a nice way for everyone to contribute to their favorite game

Sanjay

I like that fact that Dota 2 has many gaming events a year taking place in Asia, Europe and America.

It's a lot like fighting gaming events, you have Evo being the main big one but you still have many other fighting events around the world.

I have no idea how LoL events go or how many.

BlazinAm

I think the LCS model is more stable but they could do compendiums from time to time too. It's just fun for the community.

I like all the contests Riot gives out, because I'm able to participate in most of them, but not everyone can draw/cosplay so donating money would be a nice way for everyone to contribute to their favorite game
The LCS model is more stable from a team branding standpoint. People should also understand that is not just North American LCS and European LCS that the scenes that people are looking at there is the Chinese's league scene‚ the OGN‚ and the southeast Asia scene that have heavy following. At some point they will add a South American league tourney of some kind because there is a lot of growth in that area. On top of that Riot has pushed from for an amateur tourney as well. Riot has the advantage of a nine month tournament that they have made very easy for people to follow. Also it should be noted that there are smaller non Riot tournaments that exist they don't get LCS numbers but they do well.
http://na.lolesports.com is a go place to look up past vods and the upcoming schedule for the league scene.

LoL is taking a different, and largely more conservative approach. I assume this means Riot plans to build upon League of Legends for...a decade? Maybe even more? That is to say, we should never really expect a League of Legends 2. Instead, we would expect to see engine updates, visual enhancements that reflect better baseline hardware over the years, and continual content additions.

The only flaw in this approach is that the game is entirely dependent on Riot. If Riot imploded, there would be no way for players to continue playing the game.

Also, Dota 2 won't have a problem with the crowd funding. The game is only a fraction of the size of League of Legends (player base), so there is plenty of room for them to continue to grow. Further, the items they offer for the crowd-funding rewards continue to provide killer value for those who buy them. There's no reason to assume that the Dota 2 population won't continue to grow or that Valve will stop providing good value for Compendium purchasers, so there's no reason to assume they won't see $10,000,000 annual prize pools. And regardless, TI has a base line of $1,000,000.00 which is always there. Everything else was always just icing on the cake. But it creates community, which is something Valve has proven themselves to be extremely adept in creating and understanding the value of. People feel like they're a part of something in Dota 2. That will give the game a quality of life atypical in gaming.

That said, their assertion that Valve is "begging" anyone is either a gross misunderstanding of how Valve's TI economy model works (which would be a pretty embarrassing revelation, as that company should be closely examining the business models of competitors to see what they can adapt to their own model), or it's unconstructive PR dodging. Either way, Riot needs to do better than that.

AAA Post my friend. Couldn't have said it better. I think the feeling like you're a part of something in dota2 is amazing. I can't quiet figure out how, but this game had a hold on me like none before. And that's saying something because I despised it for years and just started up because ot TI this year. (The absurd prize pool piqued my interest, hadn't touched it since beta)

Acerac

Banned
Weekly events burned me out on watching LoL in general, and Riot's continued focus on esports pushed me away from the game in general.

Highlaw

Banned
The LCS model is more stable from a team branding standpoint. People should also understand that is not just North American LCS and European LCS that the scenes that people are looking at there is the Chinese's league scene‚ the OGN‚ and the southeast Asia scene that have heavy following. At some point they will add a South American league tourney of some kind because there is a lot of growth in that area. On top of that Riot has pushed from for an amateur tourney as well. Riot has the advantage of a nine month tournament that they have made very easy for people to follow. Also it should be noted that there are smaller non Riot tournaments that exist they don't get LCS numbers but they do well.
http://na.lolesports.com is a go place to look up past vods and the upcoming schedule for the league scene.

I only watch the NA scene even though I'm EUW because I like the personalities. I've stopped watching since spring and with all the roster changes (looking at you TSM) after a couple of matches I lost interest. It's not anyone's fault though.

Also are you Sky?

Top Bottom