• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Riot Games isn't worried about Valve's $10M Dota 2 prize pool, here's why

The meta's total shit right now in LoL.

Say what you will about S3 assassins, at least that was fun to watch.

Bring back the carry tops from S2.

You don't think if Valve stops putting on the international teams would become unstable? I think the whole scene would become less popular because of that.

I don't believe it would be unstable no.

Less popular overall? Sure. It'd still be totally fine though.

Einbroch

Banned
no like everything

no international no worlds

dota already has tons of tournaments every month

the league scene would have to nearly start from scratch

that last point may be true

Well, obviously Dota would be in a better place.

But what does this have to do with anything? :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The League scene would be able to piggy back off the infrastructure/inertia DOTA2 is creating among third-party e-sport organizations. It would be trivial for Dreamhack to host a real League playoff series if LCS was shut down tomorrow. Everyone knows about League and its giant audience, so there's a clearly lot of money to be made there. In that sense, League of Legends is never really in danger as an e-sport.

Only, as things are now, there's no reason for someone to sponsor a substantial League tournament at Dreamhack unless Riot was willing to share some of LCS' audience. Looking at the Dreamhack page on League's wiki, the prize pool at Dreamhack Summer 2014 was a paltry $30,000, compared to DOTA2's $260,000.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The meta's total shit right now in LoL.

Say what you will about S3 assassins, at least that was fun to watch.

Bring back the carry tops from S2.
What's wrong with the meta right now in League? I think the game is the healthiest it's been in a long time. There are plenty of carry type top laners that are viable options right now.

Well, obviously Dota would be in a better place.

But what does this have to do with anything? :lol
i dunno we're talking about riot propping it up
Nah, the main reason most teams are locked from around March is because Valve demands roster stability for TI invites.

Well teams might be a bit more unstable, but theres no reason Starladder or something couldn't add a 'you must be a team for a month' rule or whatever.

The scene in general I think would still be fine.

Highlaw

Banned
*snip*

Though the better question would be "What did they do to keep me as a customer?"

Not much.

Fair enough

Fewer champs being released is a good thing. They have more time to rework/fix the rest of the game which is what they should have been doing for a long time now

I agree on same-y champions. There are still exceptions like Rammus or Singed, it feels like a different game with them, but otherwise every rework Riot has done took the soul out of champions. Old champions did one thing, but did it well - by that I mean more impactful skills with longer cooldowns or less effects at once (say a 400health shield is now a 100 health shield + 10% bonus speed + 50 damage AoE). E.g. Skarner had good slow AoE on Q, that was it and I loved him for it, now it's on E (skillshot) on a longer cooldown but every 3rd skill you cast you do a stun to compensate, and Q grants you movement speed to catch up, adding complexity for no reason and spreading the power of 1 skill to every other skill. It sounds good, but if ALL champions are like that no 1 skill will feel great to use, it's always a combination of every skill.

And they are also killing off alternative builds, like AP Yi, MF, tristana and so on (Sion you're next)

this just all screams no we figured it out now

this time it wont change

shits always changing

im less cynical about dota because it has lived more than twice as long and as already explained doesnt need a company to prop it up as its already supported 11 months out of the year from other events and companies
tomorrow riot pulls all money out of league (this has a zero percent chance of happening)

but if they did

what happens to the pro scene

ask the same question of what happens when valve does it to dota

I like your writing style, using a lot of paragraphs and few words in each, I look at your avatar and imagine a soothing voice, reading each line slowly... ahh the bliss

Putting that aside, change will happen, it just won't be as drastic or come as quickly. LoL/Dota2 are known internationally, if it fails in one country there's no problem (unlike starcraft). They use streaming to broadcast competitions, it can be on any website on the internet and TV, if one site goes down the infrastructure is still there, there are always other options (unlike starcaft, if a major TV station decided to just drop it then that'd be it)

Starcraft was dying for those and other reasons even before LoL was a thing. The same won't happen in this day and age. The only surprise we can get now is if a new genre explodes and people drop out of MOBAs in spades. If not, it's smooth sailing for LoL/Dota2 for the next decade.

abunai

Many competitive games have been 100% fine without huge annual 'end-of-season' tournaments. Smaller, sure (which may be a product of the era back in like, 1999), but still healthy.

Acerac

Banned
Fair enough

Fewer champs being released is a good thing. They have more time to rework/fix the rest of the game which is what they should have been doing for a long time now

I agree on same-y champions. There are still exceptions like Rammus or Singed, it feels like a different game with them, but otherwise every rework Riot has done took the soul out of champions. Old champions did one thing, but did it well - by that I mean more impactful skills with longer cooldowns or less effects at once (say a 400health shield is now a 100 health shield + 10% bonus speed + 50 damage AoE). E.g. Skarner had good slow AoE on Q, that was it and I loved him for it, now it's on E (skillshot) on a longer cooldown but every 3rd skill you cast you do a stun to compensate, and Q grants you movement speed to catch up, adding complexity for no reason and spreading the power of 1 skill to every other skill. It sounds good, but if ALL champions are like that no 1 skill will feel great to use, it's always a combination of every skill.

And they are also killing off alternative builds, like AP Yi, MF, tristana and so on (Sion you're next)
I agree that fewer champs is a good thing... but they've cut a deluge to barely a trickle. If we get less content there, I'd love to see more reworks, but they've not been overly plentiful either. On that note, I'd love to buy old karma if i were given the chance, but nope, gone forever. It's not like we've suddenly got more updates, the new map is still mia, replays are nowhere to be seen, and the client is still shit. What is Riot doing?
E-SPORTS!

Removing off builds is something that I had forgotten about, thank you. While some needed to go (ap trynd, whatcha doin restoring your full health bar?) AP kog did not need to die. Mage fortune did not need to die.

Ooh, just remembered, because I am unlucky enough to live on the East Coast LoL is the highest ping I've experienced in an online game in years. Granted, I could pay money to move to the Spanish speaking Latin America North server for better ping... but that seems slightly less than optimal.

JLeack

Banned
I play both games, but Dota 2 competitive play is so much more enjoyable to watch.

Shame the game is so much more intense to play. It actually gives me a headache sometimes.

What's wrong with the meta right now in League? I think the game is the healthiest it's been in a long time. There are plenty of carry type top laners that are viable options right now.

Never liked TP. Was a nice change of pace when you're matched up against Shen or something, but being mandatory? Some bullshit.

I agree that fewer champs is a good thing... but they've cut a deluge to barely a trickle. If we get less content there, I'd love to see more reworks, but they've not been overly plentiful either. On that note, I'd love to buy old karma if i were given the chance, but nope, gone forever. It's not like we've suddenly got more updates, the new map is still mia, replays are nowhere to be seen, and the client is still shit. What is Riot doing?
E-SPORTS!

Removing off builds is something that I had forgotten about, thank you. While some needed to go (ap trynd, whatcha doin restoring your full health bar?) AP kog did not need to die. Mage fortune did not need to die.

Ooh, just remembered, because I am unlucky enough to live on the East Coast LoL is the highest ping I've experienced in an online game in years. Granted, I could pay money to move to the Spanish speaking Latin America North server for better ping... but that seems slightly less than optimal.

come play doto

kasane

They just edited the begging part out.

Nice Riot. Nice.

Old:

Co6HQ2p.png

New:

4fZJCuA.png

#justriorthings

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
typical Riot backpedaling and trying to make themselves look like the good guy....,reminds me of not allowing LCS players to stream other games but backpedaling on that

It's skewed to longer games vs S3, every role but mid has 4 common picks at max, and pro teams feel like they have to have baron to close out any games.

Basically pro games have turned into the same thing as level <10 noob games except with better CS and people actually buy wards. I still watch but it's often frustrating how consistently boring NA LCS is.

Acerac

Banned
I just did my monthly ranked match to maintain gold, got flamed for choosing janna support against an alistar. Was told I should play leona instead. God I don't even.

(Went 1-0-9 for anyone who thinks that janna is suddenly a bad pick v ali)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm thinking someone thought he was off the record, or was and Polygon published it anyway.

sandy1297

Warcraft 3 TFT:
-->Dota All-Stars (DotA 1) -Custom map of War3
---->League of Legends (LoL) - new game with dota mechanics / dev
---->Heroes of Newerth (HoN) - new game with dota mechanics / dev
---->Dota 2 - DotA with new graphics
---->Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard All-Stars) - new game with no dota mechanics

there, I fix that for you

Are you saying it's not a Polygon misquote?

just like they 'misquote' Lasf of Us as a 75

Spookie

typical Riot backpedaling and trying to make themselves look like the good guy....,reminds me of not allowing LCS players to stream other games but backpedaling on that

Nice to see the conspiracy horseshit has bled out of the Zoe Q thread in to other threads.

Anilusion

there, I fix that for you

Remaking Dota in a new engine has allowed them to do things that were never possible in the WC3 engine. It's not simply a port with better graphics.

And how you can say HotS has no dota mechanics and still keep a straight face is hilarious.

Not sure if I should make another thread for it, but seeing Starcraft mentioned a couple of times, what's up with that? I see nothing but people complaining about the current scene. It is/was a premier eSport title, what did Blizzard do? Or am I just seeing a vocal minority complain?

Haunted

im sure its profitable

im sure theyre also looking at many other things

if their attention goes elsewhere who knows what may happen

valve will certainly do that with dota in the future

and the scene will be totally fine

when riot stops paying salaries and hosting weekly events who will take over?

the lans they didnt let the teams participate in?
Well, I will say that it's completely possible that they'll split off a separate company to handle lol business while Riot moves on to something else (think Pokemon company and Nintendo).

And using SC in Korea as a comparison also isn't valid - if the game disappears and isn't played anymore, the professional scene vanishes either way, regardless whether it's paid for and provided by the developer (lol) or organised by independent organisations (Dota 2).

edit: I find it hilarious that Riot employees are referring to each other as "rioters"

Won

Not sure if I should make another thread for it, but seeing Starcraft mentioned a couple of times, what's up with that? I see nothing but people complaining about the current scene. It is/was a premier eSport title, what did Blizzard do? Or am I just seeing a vocal minority complain?

Blizzard didn't really do anything. Which is kinda the problem. They have this weird hands-off mentality, both with the scene, but also with the game, while Riot and Valve put a lot of effort into their games. Ergo frustrated fans. And CS:GO pushing big numbers now too is just salt into the wound.

Top Bottom